• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Zeliard

Am I missing something or is there no way to toggle the left trigger to remain locked on to an enemy without having to hold it? Odd design decision.

Maffis

Am I missing something or is there no way to toggle the left trigger to remain locked on to an enemy without having to hold it? Odd design decision.

Not what I know of. I also wished there was a toggle. Using powers feels akward because you have to let go of the targeting. But then again the powers are designed to work without lock.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Need help in The Foundry
I crushed the custodian before I got the second key. What can I do to get rid of the corruption now?
Aren't there bombs hanging from the bottom part of the moving containers?

ugh lost already

should I be following that bird thing? ie the purple dot?

also its weird hearing about bad tearing, for me is not tearing at all just set vsync on and through an HDMI out from laptop

Megasoum

Banned
The miss-aligned target reticule on PC is really bugging me.... It's not game breaking but when you get a bit further in the game you have a lot of bomb throwing and shooting and crap like that and it's really annoying to always have to aim next to where you actually want to shoot. It such a stupid bug to leave in the game...

ugh lost already

should I be following that bird thing? ie the purple dot?

Click the left stick and Dust (the bird) will show you where to go.

Maffis

if you want it on pc I would wait for a sale

If you have a good PC I would definitely recommend to buy it. It's glitchy on all platforms, but playing this game with a solid framerate AND with VSYNC fixes and FXAA injector, and playing with a Gamepad, is the way to go.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL I think I'm fucked in world 3. I for some reason can never get the momentum needed to progress...

nvm I'm stupid I just realized you can charge it... DERP

neoism

If you have a good PC I would definitely recommend to buy it. It's glitchy on all platforms, but playing this game with a solid framerate AND with VSYNC fixes and FXAA injector, and playing with a Gamepad, is the way to go.

it is worth buying... but i would have waited for a sale if I really knew about the game I hope there is a small chance they will patch some of the terribliness out .... 20$ would have been better. A long game isn't good when 20 or 30% is filler... still liking the game a lot, got 20 hours in and I'm at the filler part in world 2. i would have loved more combat as is it enemies are just peppered here and there. I bought this game based on the combat and the loot, and the fact I was expecting a PC game....

RPGCrazied

I haven't had the game crash yet, nor have I've come across any bugs/glitches, course I'm only 7 hours into the first world, at the foundry.

Other than the tearing, it looks and plays great. It must be hard to enable vsync on consoles, or at least the PS3. Very few games on PS3 that doesn't have some sort of tearing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I haven't had the game crash yet, nor have I've come across any bugs/glitches, course I'm only 7 hours into the first world, at the foundry.

Other than the tearing, it looks and plays great. It must be hard to enable vsync on consoles, or at least the PS3. Very few games on PS3 that doesn't have some sort of tearing.

Sooner or later you'll hit a bug/glitch. This playthrough or the next sooner or later. Doesnt take away from the game at all though. It's great :)

Maffis

it is worth buying... but i would have waited for a sale if I really knew about the game I hope there is a small chance they will patch some of the terribliness out .... 20$ would have been better. A long game isn't good when 20 or 30% is filler... still liking the game a lot, got 20 hours in and I'm at the filler part in world 2. i would have loved more combat as is it enemies are just peppered here and there. I bought this game based on the combat and the loot, and the fact I was expecting a PC game....

Don't see how it's filler. At least not for me. So far I'm sticking for the gameplay and every hour of that counts. And Darksiders has always been about a mix of gameplay, like puzzles and traversal. Just like the first one.

Also, I bought it from GMG with a coupon so it only cost me 37 bucks. Cheap enough for what the game offers. I still agree though that the game has way too many glitches which is unacceptable.

If there are 5 worlds and the first world takes approximately 6 hours how freaking long is this game if you want to go for the 100% completion rate?

Very long. Completing everything requires a NG+ though so it's a little cheating because of that, but on the first playthrough the developers said about 50-60 hours.

If there are 5 worlds and the first world takes approximately 6 hours how freaking long is this game if you want to go for the 100% completion rate?

I beat it 26 hours, but I didn't do everything. And there isn't 4 worlds in this game, there are 2 full sized worlds and the second half of the game is mostly dungeons.

neoism

Don't see how it's filler. At least not for me. So far I'm sticking for the gameplay and every hour of that counts. And Darksiders has always been about a mix of gameplay, like puzzles and traversal. Just like the first one.

Also, I bought it from GMG with a coupon so it only cost me 37 bucks. Cheap enough for what the game offers. I still agree though that the game has way too many glitches which is unacceptable.

Very long. Completing everything requires a NG+ though so it's a little cheating because of that, but on the first playthrough the developers said about 50-60 hours.
mixing that is fine the makes good pacing but I'm taking about something EatChildren said in his review
As an example, one particular mid-game area sees Death encounter the Dead King after many trials and tribulations, but instead of rewarding the player with interesting dialogue or an exciting encounter, the character merely sends Death out on an errand to collect three ‘MacGuffins’ before he will agree to help him. Collection of these objects takes place in three, well-designed dungeons, but the whole endeavour is completely ancillary to Death’s main goal and does nothing to advance the story or characters; it is well-executed filler, but filler nonetheless, and this example is emblematic of Darksiders 2’s approach to narrative and pacing.
I'm glad world 3 and 4 are smaller and the
shooter part in W3
... I usually never fine this stuff out before playing the game, but reading the thread is making my expecations lower with is good.

Megasoum

Banned
There are two full worlds and then a few dungeons and, bizarrely, a shooting gallery

I beat it 26 hours, but I didn't do everything. And there isn't 4 worlds in this game, there are 2 full sized worlds and the second half of the game is mostly dungeons.

Not that I'm particularly surprised or dissapointed (I'm halfway through world 2 right now and the game is fun but I wouldn't want to be only 50% done...) but I guess that means that this is another bullshit form the devs since they kept saying that there was 4 worlds and that the first world was bigger than DS1 and yet was still only 1/4 of DS2.... Fucking PR bullshithing.

Not that I'm particularly surprised or dissapointed (I'm halfway through world 2 right now and the game is fun but I wouldn't want to be only 50% done...) but I guess that means that this is another bullshit form the devs since they kept saying that there was 4 worlds and that the first world was bigger than DS1 and yet was still only 1/4 of DS2.... Fucking PR bullshithing.

That is pretty much what I thought, I still enjoyed the game though.

I mean, there's four "worlds", but the first two are MUCH bigger then the other two, and kinda just boil down to a few dungeons(mostly very fun ones though!). And again, this rather bizarre shooting gallery that goes on forever and isn't very good at all. You'll see what I mean when you get there

I mean, there's four "worlds", but the first two are MUCH bigger then the other two, and kinda just boil down to a few dungeons(mostly very fun ones though!). And again, this rather bizarre shooting gallery that goes on forever and isn't very good at all. You'll see what I mean when you get there

Eh, I didn't really mind the shooting section...still I was hoping for
a bigger Earth world

These environments are really impressive.
On the other hand another negative is showing it's face, my enthusiasm to explore is getting diminished because it's usually a place I can't advance because I lack an ability, I pretty much stick to the main quest now.

Megasoum

Banned
Well...I'm stuck for the first time in the game...
I'm lost in the Phariseer tomb with the huge elevator... not sure where to go now...hmmm

Well...I'm stuck for the first time in the game...
I'm lost in the Phariseer tomb with the huge elevator... not sure where to go now...hmmm

I think that is the part where you have to push a huge pillar under the elevator on the first floor to access the second floor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

That part of the game is like 35-40 mins tops. hardly forever LOL

Megasoum

Banned
got stuck there too lol.....spoilers

Yeah I'm watching it right now...let's see...

Edit:...man all those loadings on console must be really annoying...

Edit2: Well fuck me...
There's a bomb on the back side of one of those two hanging grab point? Ugh I thought I looked for bombs everywhere...

BLU-82

I'm just before the point of no return and I have a bit of a dilemma...
I'm missing 6 pages and a whole bunch of stones/artifacts. I am going to have to essentially run through every area all over again so I am wondering if I should just do that in NG+ anyway?
Is there any reason to finish all this stuff now before starting NG+?
I think I am missing a load of side quests too actually.

sflufan

Banned
I got digital version of the soundtrack with the CE version of the game, and I have to say that it's pure ear candy.

The first game had a "serviceable" orchestral soundtrack -- it did its job perfectly well, but very little about it was memorable.

However, for the sequel, Jesper Kyd appears to have brought his "A Game". The soundtrack probably defies easy description -- its a mixture of traditional orchestral, Africa, Middle Eastern, Latin American, and Asian rhythms and NOT AT ALL what you'd expect from this kind of game.

Synthesizers, electric guitars, steel drums -- pretty much a large range of instruments are used for the soundtrack and it WORKS! This stands up there with the Max Payne 3 soundtrack as one of the most enjoyable that I've heard in quite some time!

Tokubetsu

I got digital version of the soundtrack with the CE version of the game, and I have to say that it's pure ear candy.

The first game had a "serviceable" orchestral soundtrack -- it did its job perfectly well, but very little about it was memorable.

However, for the sequel, Jesper Kyd appears to have brought his "A Game". The soundtrack probably defies easy description -- its a mixture of traditional orchestral, Africa, Middle Eastern, Latin American, and Asian rhythms and NOT AT ALL what you'd expect from this kind of game.

Synthesizers, electric guitars, steel drums -- pretty much a large range of instruments are used for the soundtrack and it WORKS! This stands up there with the Max Payne 3 soundtrack as one of the most enjoyable that I've heard in quite some time!

Yep. It's easily one of Jesper Kyd's best works too.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not even a game music guy but I think the music is one of the higher points of this game so far. It has more personality and uniqueness behind it than a lot of modern western games.

neoism

best thing about the game

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yo, I heard you like dungeons, so we put a dungeon inside your dungeon so you can dungeon while you dungeon.

Spoiler:
The Black Stone is literally a dungeon inside another dungeon.

Megasoum

Banned
FUCK... Now I think I'm REALLY stuck...
I managed to get the column in the elevator room but it got stuck on the floor right at the entrance of that room... I get the grab prompt from only one side and it does nothing when I hit B... and I can't do anything from anywhere....

Top Bottom