• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

JJD

My face when the deposed king kills me in one hit and gets hurt by none of my attacks.

Will need to come back later.

Just stay close to him. Most times I didn't even have to evade do dodge his attacks.

You really only have to worry when he is at 50% of his health and begins his spinning attack that can hit you multiple times.

I stayed on one side of the arena close to the wall. When he started his spinning animation I would just run to the other side. Don't run to much because he will do his freezing smash (that gets him stuck) as soon as he finishes spinning. That move has crazy range so if you run too much from the spinning move he can hit you with the smash. Run until the middle of the arena roughly, then after punishing him get back to one of the sides. If he begins his spinning move on the middle of the arena there's a big big chance you'll get killed by it.

In a few tries you'll get his pattern.

I killed him at lvl. 13. Still have to lvl. up to 20 to use his mace.

JJD

I hope this game has some sort of end game item that reveals the location of the collectibles otherwise I'm not going for a 100% completion rate. I just don't have the time.

Do you need some kind of late game item to make to the top of the
Breach
, after you turn that
Statue with the laser over in the Maw area that unlocks an area on top of the Breach?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well the game looks pretty good on PC, but I'm having an awful glitch:

Whenever I exit the menus, it'll sometimes get stuck on the interim screen and never return to the game. I've left it sitting for a few minutes but it never recovers, forcing me to alt-ctrl-del and kill the game, then restart. Very frustrating.

Just stay close to him. Most times I didn't even have to evade do dodge his attacks.

You really only have to worry when he is at 50% of his health and begins his spinning attack that can hit you multiple times.

I stayed on one side of the arena close to the wall. When he started his spinning animation I would just run to the other side. Don't run to much because he will do his freezing smash (that gets him stuck) as soon as he finishes spinning. That move has crazy range so if you run too much from the spinning move he can hit you with the smash. Run until the middle of the arena roughly, then after punishing him get back to one of the sides. If he begins his spinning move on the middle of the arena there's a big big chance you'll get killed by it.

His mace is devastating if you're using an arkane heavy build.

Has anybody else run into an invisible monster on the world map yet?

I could see the outline of it and hear it but it didn't see you and you couldn't attack it either.

tragic

Developer
Boatman Coins, NO.

Relics and Stone Bites, YES.

Also, all Relic and Stone Bite upgrades carry over to NG+. HAX!

I could see the outline of it and hear it but it didn't see you and you couldn't attack it either.
Yeah ran into the same thing, death says 'this won't work' when I try anything on it. Creepy fella.
--
There are way too many collectables in this game.

Megasoum

Banned
It's a stupid gamestop-only preorder sidequest. Everybody else is just stuck swinging at invisible monsters.

You gotta be kiding me? Arghh. I saw two of those in one of the dungeons too (can't remember which one)... That's really lame if it's only a pre-order bonus.

I just Teleport Slashed him to death while he was winding up for his overhead smash. He is real easy if you're patient.

sephi22

SMH. People found out a way to self-dupe items in this game.

Also anyone got any secondaries/possessed secondaries with health steal on hit?

I'm on PS3. PSN: sephi22

Can trade this:

Possessed Scythes Level 16
- Damage 140-166
- Frost Damage 19
- Critical Chance +20%
- Critical Damage +33%
- Health on Crit 37

Bolding the best stats. This baby got my through almost the whole game, but I found something better

Derrick01

Banned
Jesus christ what a fight. Beat
Deposed King
at level 12 but it took a good 20 minutes. Most of my attacks weren't doing much at all so I had to grind the victory out. These fights that I'm finishing early are the only challenge I'm getting.

ezekial45

Banned
I was hyped for this game's combat after reading Dahbomb's analysis and seeing those gifs, but man - I'm VERY disappointed with it. I liked it at first, but as they started including new abilities and tossing more enemies at you, it all feels so cumbersome. It's very responsive, but unfortunately they over did it with the VFX during combat. The aura and slash effects obscure much of the action and can be a major distraction. Also the camera pretty wonky as well. It's made worse by the lock on, which goes crazy when targeting enemies at different distances. The controls just feel so cluttered too. It's difficult using one of the short cut abilities while trying to keep a target locked. I'm not a fan of using the 'claw' on my controller to do what I want.

I'm still enjoying it, and it's a very well made game over all, but this isn't some great upper echelon action game that I was led to believe. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mixing that is fine the makes good pacing but I'm taking about something EatChildren said in his review

Want to note it's not my review. The guy who wrote it also posts on GAF, but his username escapes me.

Also the camera pretty wonky as well. It's made worse by the lock on, which goes crazy when targeting enemies at different distances. The controls just feel so cluttered too. It's difficult using one of the short cut abilities while trying to keep a target locked.

My problem with this game as well. It's Epic Mickey all over again. I really want to like it, but the camera makes it really hard to do.

Maffis

I'm still enjoying it, and it's a very well made game over all, but this isn't some great upper echelon action game that I was led to believe. :(

Well they did advertise the loot and combat the most this time around because that was the biggest changes from the first one, but they also did say several times it was a Darksiders game at heart, meaning lots of exploring, dungeons and puzzles.

forrest

formerly nacire
Finally got my last stone bite and finished off my Apocalyptic play through. Soo fucking good. I'll have to take some time and write up some final impressions at some point. I certainly have a lot to say about the game. A lot of praise, but some specific criticisms as well. But for now I'll leave it as my GOTY for 2012 thus far, pushing Journey down to the number 2 slot.

Now, on to NG+!!!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Anyone find any weapons that have health on hit outside of legendary gear? If so, what level is it and was it a drop or from a vendor?

Gbraga

I got to play it a little (still waiting my PS3 copy to arrive) and man meteor strike > lock-on dash xx round trip to do the dash under is so cool *-*

Too bad enemies die too fast so I basically did X, A, air X X X, meteor strike, dash, round trip (anyone know how that move is called?)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Bummer

In that case, I guess I'll get on with feeding my lvl 15 possessed scythes.

Not sure if I should bother with health on crit or just go all out crit dmg

SMH. People found out a way to self-dupe items in this game.

Also anyone got any secondaries/possessed secondaries with health steal on hit?

I'm on PS3. PSN: sephi22

Can trade this:

Possessed Scythes Level 16
- Damage 140-166
- Frost Damage 19
- Critical Chance +20%
- Critical Damage +33%
- Health on Crit 37

Bolding the best stats. This baby got my through almost the whole game, but I found something better

Wow! Can you hook me up? :D

PSN: A_MagicToaster

Megasoum

Banned
Is it normal that there's items I can't sacrifice in a possessed weapon? When I upgrade a possessed weapon, there's a bunch of items that ARE in the list on the right but nothing happen when I hit A on them, some of them work and some don't... I through that if they showed up in the list on the right then that means you can sacrifice them??

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is it normal that there's items I can't sacrifice in a possessed weapon? When I upgrade a possessed weapon, there's a bunch of items that ARE in the list on the right but nothing happen when I hit A on them, some of them work and some don't... I through that if they showed up in the list on the right then that means you can sacrifice them??

You cant sacrifice uniques and I THINK higher level items. Not sure though

Megasoum

Banned
You cant sacrifice uniques and I THINK higher level items. Not sure though

Ok well I know that some items just don't show up in the sacrifice list (like unique items for example) but, IMO, if they are available in the sacrifice list then I should be able to sacrifice them.

If it's on the list then you can sacrifice it, so it's probably bugged?

Yeah that's what I thought... I'll try to restart the game.

Edit: Yup it's a bug, even after restarting it doesn't fix the issue. I think I found what the exact bug is... Looks like you can only sacrifice stuff in the first three lines of items on the right side. If it's on the 4th or 5th line pressing A won't do anything.... Talk about another fucking stupid bug? Add it to the very long list of issues guys!

ezekial45

Banned
Well they did advertise the loot and combat the most this time around because that was the biggest changes from the first one, but they also did say several times it was a Darksiders game at heart, meaning lots of exploring, dungeons and puzzles.

And it does that very well. I'm very impressed with the loot and exploration, but it's just too bad the combat is all just flash.

I'm really disappointed in this so far. I'm Lvl 7... Just got to the
dormant Guardian
but I'm really not feeling it. It just seems to be missing something... Some charm, some personality, I don't know what it is. I just seem to be going from one place to the next and it all feels so samey. Combat isn't grabbing me a whole lot either. I just can't put my finger on exactly why I'm not enjoying it an awful lot. And I really liked the original. It was a surprise hit. But I'm playing this and keep thinking... when is it going to start, like it doesn't seem to be picking it up or when I'm going to be wowed. It's all a bit stale and lonely. And I really want to enjoy it :/

Maffis

I'm really disappointed in this so far. I'm Lvl 7... Just got to the
dormant Guardian
but I'm really not feeling it. It just seems to be missing something... Some charm, some personality, I don't know what it is. I just seem to be going from one place to the next and it all feels so samey. Combat isn't grabbing me a whole lot either. I just can't put my finger on exactly why I'm not enjoying it an awful lot. And I really liked the original. It was a surprise hit. But I'm playing this and keep thinking... when is it going to start, like it doesn't seem to be picking it up or when I'm going to be wowed. It's all a bit stale and lonely. And I really want to enjoy it :/

I dunno. Lvl 7 isn't that far in. Try to stick with it and see what happens.

Don't want to spoil anything, so I will just say, remember in the first game where War had to put on the mask to see hidden chests and blacksmith anvils to find the sword pieces??? It's something like that.

Gbraga

And it does that very well. I'm very impressed with the loot and exploration, but it's just too bad the combat is all just flash.

I really liked the little I played. Crossovers, just frame cancels, dash cancels, "charge cancel" (don't know how to call holding the gloves button to cancel your scythe attack), you can even kinda plink the round trip so the dash won't even come out.

Still didn't got the chance to mess around with the Deathgrip though, also didn't have access to a lot of moves.

The just frame "shoryuken" the buckler has after a meteor strike is so cool :3

I didn't played enough to say anything for sure, but looks like it's pretty much the best combat in it's genre by far.

Also, dash under <3

BY2K

Membero Americo
The ending is... kinda weak. The whole second half of the game feels rushed as hell. The first half is gushing with content and stuff to do, like the last 2 worlds combined don't even come close to half the content ONE of the first 2 worlds have.

What happened, Vigil?

Top Bottom