• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Megasoum

Banned
The ending is... kinda weak. The whole second half of the game feels rushed as hell. The first half is gushing with content and stuff to do, like the last 2 worlds combined don't even come close to half the content ONE of the first 2 worlds have.

What happened, Vigil?

They ran out of cash and time... The same reason there's a TON of stupid bugs in the game. And I'm not even talking about the huge things like crash on boot or stuff like that. Those kind of issues happen with all the games cause QA can't test every single piece of hardware or drivers. All the level design (collision) and UI/HUD bugs howevers, they have no excuse. This is some basic game developpement stuff and you are not supposed to ship a game with that many issues still present.

Gbraga

It's a stupid gamestop-only preorder sidequest. Everybody else is just stuck swinging at invisible monsters.

Wow, that's really stupid. Why not just take them out entirely? If it was a regular DLC it would still suck but at least it would make sense, but pre-order bonus? Wow.

sephi22

Finally got my last stone bite and finished off my Apocalyptic play through. Soo fucking good. I'll have to take some time and write up some final impressions at some point. I certainly have a lot to say about the game. A lot of praise, but some specific criticisms as well. But for now I'll leave it as my GOTY for 2012 thus far, pushing Journey down to the number 2 slot.

Now, on to NG+!!!
Make a guide. Need help with them.

Wow! Can you hook me up? :D

PSN: A_MagicToaster
Sure.
just add/pm me on psn. we need to be friends for it to work

Dascu

I think it would've been smarter to let the
last two "worlds" be accessible at the same time, and allowing the player to pick whatever he wants to play first. That way it feels less like a weak 3rd and 4th act, but instead of a decent 3rd act. It's a small adjustment to the pacing that could benefit the perception of this part of the game.

Megasoum

Banned
Just killed
Deposed King
at level 17. Really fun fight. I'm all the way arcane spec so I never got within 20yards of him haha... I would just send ghouls and then shoot him to get wrath back while circle strafing from as far as I could. I got hit maybe twice for the whole fight and my ghouls did probably 90% of the damage lol.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright I think I've reached my breaking point with this game, going to be taking a break until I feel like putting up with this BS padding.

I just spent a good 30 minutes to an hour getting to
the throne room and then they tell me to go down and fight a champion. So I get there to fight him BUT WAIT, of course he can't just fight me I have to trek through 3 more lengthy areas just to get his ass up.

Nope.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
I really don't see what's the problem with that. I pretty much expected that to be a dungeon getting there so... it just wasn't a problem.

And I have the feeling you'll actually prefer the second half to the first if you don't like that kind of padding.

Derrick01

Banned
I really don't see what's the problem with that. I pretty much expected that to be a dungeon getting there so... it just wasn't a problem.

And I have the feeling you'll actually prefer the second half to the first if you don't like that kind of padding.

The problem with it is it's unnecessary chore work and fetch quests to artificially extend the game length so they can say it's 3 times DS1's length or whatever. Why do I have to do all that just to get the guy up? His sole job is to accept challenges. So I have to go out of my way to prove myself to the guy I'm supposed to kill to prove myself to another person. Ridiculous.

gunbo13

Combat indeed doesn't have much to it even with just frames, buffering, etc... Most of it is just for flash, which is very Bayonetta like with the flourish of options. At the core, it is standard combat, dodge and counter. Layering all this stuff on top doesn't change that structure. A more advanced counter system would have done wonders. And the aerials really did need to be fleshed out instead of only used for launchers combos, which can leave you way vulnerable may I add. Your best bet is just to stay grounded, dodge out, and rush-down mixing up hard/soft lock with your specials. And frame cancel so you don't get animation smashed. Anything outside that unfortunately is clowning around. The great action games make style WORTH SOMETHING, not just visual flair. And I'm not talking about style meters but actual combat efficiency. DS2 does not do this.

My biggest disappointment is the enemies though. They have no individualism and just seem like slight variations. I mean some are basically the same enemy with "ranks" assigned to them. Oh, he's a champion... Since I'm seeing this game as a GoW type title, it doesn't have enemy personality that GoW has. It's more RPG where you are just seeing new enemy skins with a bit different attacks but never anything major. Maybe I have to get further but I doubt it will change much.

And I hate Zelda bosses in action games dammit!

---

On a positive note...the game is bringing me back. The puzzles and platforming are fucking obnoxious (needed emphasis). However, the difficulty spikes at around the 3rd dungeon on apocalypse, which I like. If I don't start seeing some combat variation though, my interest will start to waver. Then I know I'm just doing rinse and repeat for a lot of hours...which I can do without.

Still a GOOD game though.

Played for about 90 minutes last night. So far so good.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with DS3. I was really hoping this one would have 4 player co-op with each person assuming the role of a different horseman.

Maybe that's the future.

For now, I'll continue to rock the present.

Megasoum

Banned
So I just got the
Soul Splitter power... So it really replace the three dudes and I won't get them back? Not that I really miss them lol but I'm curious.

Gbraga

It may be just for flash, but I'm ok with that. It really is an Action RPG/Adventure after all, that's why I said it may have the best combat in it's genre, I don't see it as an action game.

AHA-Lambda

Alright I think I've reached my breaking point with this game, going to be taking a break until I feel like putting up with this BS padding.

I just spent a good 30 minutes to an hour getting to
the throne room and then they tell me to go down and fight a champion. So I get there to fight him BUT WAIT, of course he can't just fight me I have to trek through 3 more lengthy areas just to get his ass up.

Nope.gif

I'm intrigued to play this (just finished playing Dust so this may be next) but I do hate that kind of crap =/

The thing is I notice others have said similar, so it's a little off putting; it was one of the chief complaints I saw on the the more unimpressed reviews. I'll rent it and give it a go though cos I do think it looks good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What's with all the macguffins? Get 3 of this, get 3 of that, blah blah.

I really like the art and music of this game but it feels too different from darksiders for me. I really wanted HD Zelda 2 with more puzzle dungeons and long, elaborate unwinding temples. This is kind of the Prince of Persia HD game we never got. Which is nice, and it's a fine game, but not what I expected or wanted.

Also the bosses are mostly embarrassing so far.

Khezu

And I hate Zelda bosses in action games dammit!

But it is a zelda game though. And the puzzles and platforming are the best parts, could do with less combat even.

So how does the last power in the necromacer tree work? Not there yet, but it sounds weird.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm intrigued to play this (just finished playing Dust so this may be next) but I do hate that kind of crap =/

The thing is I notice others have said similar, so it's a little off putting; it was one of the chief complaints I saw on the the more unimpressed reviews. I'll rent it and give it a go though cos I do think it looks good.

The padding in this is some of the worst I've seen. We just had a thread on here not too long ago about padding and I said normally it doesn't bother me and games can never be too long but this game is the first I've played that is making me re-think that position.

I think in games that I really enjoy the core concepts and mechanics I can put up with a lot more padding than other games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think the game is much like Zelda anymore.

I don't think it much like anything at this point :p

But it is a zelda game though. And the puzzles and platforming are the best parts, could do with less combat even.

So how does the last power in the necromacer tree work? Not there yet, but it sounds weird.
It's a skill that drains ALL YOUR WRATH to make little spirits that lock on and hit stuff. Think of it as a more damaging murder but way less utility. Honestly I only think it's really good if you have wrath as a stat pumped up.

gunbo13

It may be just for flash, but I'm ok with that. It really is an Action RPG/Adventure after all, that's why I said it may have the best combat in it's genre, I don't see it as an action game.
Yea, it depends on your outlook. I was warned that you can't crack open the combat system and it was very formulaic. So it is a bit silly for me to look for more. I'm more just comparing it to GoW now with what it does. There are certainly some positives to the system that give is some pluses. I'd say it is probably better then GoW3, which has the best combat in that series. And it is way better then most generic action games, so credit there.

The main falter though isn't the combat or the RPG though. It's mainly the adventuring and enemy design IMO.

I just respecced to Necromancer - I'm keeping Teleport Slash and Unending Fury. My build so far:

Teleport Slash (2) - Heals for 12% of damage done
Unending Fury (2) - Increases Wrath generation by 50%, lasts 10 seconds
Exhume (2) - Ghouls deal 16 damage per attack, 2 ghouls summoned
Undying (1) - Increases ghoul health by 172
Enervation (3) - Restores 3 Wrath per ghoul attack
Murder (3) - Flocks deal 45 damage, summons 4 flock
Bless (2) - Restores 16 health per flock hit

I'm going to build up some stupid crazy Possessed Weapons with Health Steal, Wrath on Critical and Critical Chance + Damage to go with all of this. I'm going to be summoning ghouls and crows like crazy.

Gbraga

I just hope that the difficulty increase later on makes the combat more rewarding, instead of even less by making hit hit dodge much more efficient and flashy combos too risky.

I hate to be posted #29823 to ask this, but is there any consensus on which console version (PS3/360) is the one to get?

On PS3, the game has frozen at least once for every play session I've spent with it, so roughly once a day since it released. I haven't noticed any other technical issues. It's sort of obnoxious, though, seeing as how the original never froze on me once.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just respecced to Necromancer - I'm keeping Teleport Slash and Unending Fury. My build so far:

I'm going to build up some stupid crazy Possessed Weapons with Health Steal and Arcane Critical Chance + Damage to go with all of this.

Remove all points from enervation. That branch of skills is worthless. Put the rest into undying and the fire aoe eventually explosion.

Personally I don't like having any wasted points on the harbinger side. Also wrath on hit is a bigger boost than life on hit if you are going arcane.

Megasoum

Banned
I vote for the topic to be changed to "Darksiders 2 |OT| Brought to you by the number 3"

I mean, sure... Myamoto had a great idea when he came in with that concept 30 years ago but you know...was 30 years ago...

I'm going to build up some stupid crazy Possessed Weapons with Health Steal, Wrath on Critical and Critical Chance + Damage to go with all of this. I'm going to be summoning ghouls and crows like crazy.

I have a similar build and the Ghouls are AMAZING. It's crazy the amount of damage they can do if you have a lot of arcane/arcane crit gear.

ezekial45

Banned
I really liked the little I played. Crossovers, just frame cancels, dash cancels, "charge cancel" (don't know how to call holding the gloves button to cancel your scythe attack), you can even kinda plink the round trip so the dash won't even come out.

Still didn't got the chance to mess around with the Deathgrip though, also didn't have access to a lot of moves.

The just frame "shoryuken" the buckler has after a meteor strike is so cool :3

I didn't played enough to say anything for sure, but looks like it's pretty much the best combat in it's genre by far.

Also, dash under <3

That's all well and good, and I'm happy that they made the combat with that much nuance, but unfortunately the cameria/lock-on issues and the overly flashy visuals make it all look near incomprehensible.

I'm actually trying not to use the lock-on just so I can what's going on.

forrest

formerly nacire
I love how the 3rd and 4th areas aren't the same size as the first two and everyone is quick to cry "rushed" and "out of money". Seriously? While I agree that the last boss wasn't as climatic as I was hoping, I will say the encounter before more than makes up for it.

As far as easy bosses go, how many zelda style bosses ever gave you that much difficulty? Especially the one's designed in a "do this to make boss attackable, then repeat" style fight. There is some difficulty in some of the boss encounters, mainly side dungeon bosses which really just consist of learning the fight mechanics and I do find them a bit more enjoyable.

On a positive note, both of the last two realms have an really great dungeons. The one in the 3rd realm may be my favorite of the game. It's too bad it's accompanied by one of the worst sections of the game.

Gbraga

That's all well and good, and I'm happy that they made the combat with that much nuance, but unfortunately the cameria/lock-on issues and the flashy visuals make it all look near incomprehensible.

I'm actually trying not to use the lock-on just so I can what's going on.

Are you playing on PC? If so, maybe there could be a mod for the camera later on?

Remove all points from enervation. That branch of skills is worthless. Put the rest into undying and the fire aoe eventually explosion.

Personally I don't like having any wasted points on the harbinger side. Also wrath on hit is a bigger boost than life on hit if you are going arcane.

Ah, ok. Going to respec again.

Thanks.

Maffis

Considering it's their second game and the fact their publisher was going under I'd still say they did a pretty good job.

Derrick01

Banned
Considering it's their second game and the fact their publisher was going under I'd still say they did a pretty good job.

Unless the publisher rushed them that doesn't really have anything to do with it and I think their first game was miles better so far. Pacing, characters (though Death > War) and an overall tougher game. I have not faced a tough enemy in my level range or even slightly difficult dungeon yet. The only tough enemies I've faced have been the 3 side quest bosses the early game guy gives you and that's because I've been at least 7 levels lower than them.

AHA-Lambda

The padding in this is some of the worst I've seen. We just had a thread on here not too long ago about padding and I said normally it doesn't bother me and games can never be too long but this game is the first I've played that is making me re-think that position.

I think in games that I really enjoy the core concepts and mechanics I can put up with a lot more padding than other games.

What's with all the macguffins? Get 3 of this, get 3 of that, blah blah.

Oh dear =/

Top Bottom