• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

So I finally beat the game and started NG+ Made an upgrade to my last set of scythes. I gotta say, once you have 20% wrath steal, one hit = 1/8 of your wrath bar filled :3

KyAeo.jpg

Also, to make sure you get 20% health/wrath steal, definitely put that in as your first upgrade. Made an upgrade to Argul's Hammer as well, though I really do miss the chance of freezing enemies

I think I'm gonna go and try to find another health steal weapon and make a set of arcane claws.

RPGCrazied

How big is world 2? I mean as in story and side quests.

I'm 10 hours and just got to world 2, but went back to finish killing those elite bosses.

Is there a boss/quest for the Sentinel’s Gaze
I get to the end and open the chest and that's it, but I hear stomping above me.

Dahbomb

Combat indeed doesn't have much to it even with just frames, buffering, etc... Most of it is just for flash, which is very Bayonetta like with the flourish of options. At the core, it is standard combat, dodge and counter. Layering all this stuff on top doesn't change that structure. A more advanced counter system would have done wonders. And the aerials really did need to be fleshed out instead of only used for launchers combos, which can leave you way vulnerable may I add. Your best bet is just to stay grounded, dodge out, and rush-down mixing up hard/soft lock with your specials. And frame cancel so you don't get animation smashed. Anything outside that unfortunately is clowning around. The great action games make style WORTH SOMETHING, not just visual flair. And I'm not talking about style meters but actuOooal combat efficiency. DS2 does not do this

Still a GOOD game though.
But that's what the game is designed around... Dodging and countering not styling. You can still style on enemies if you have the Buckler, basically do you combos and animation cancel with the Block if someone is attacking or if in the air come back down with meteor strike and then do the just frame.

Raz, those are some crazy stats for those weapons! Can't wait for end-game gear.

Haha yea I've spent waaay too long playing this game, level 25 with 44 hours played and about to start Lost Temple on NG+ Reason my stats are so high is because I found a sweet Amulet that gives 17% crit chance and 35% crit damage and the rest of my gear gives crit damage. It really seems like crit chance/crit damage are the most powerful stats in the game. I'm trying to mess with arcane and play with the necromancer tree more but idk if arcane crit/chance is as useful as the normal ones

O for those about to finish the game, before starting NG+, use up all your stones because they don't carry over (i wasted quite a few) :/

Mupod

I keep reading that you can rename your possessed weapons, and that it's done the same way as upgrading, but I'm not seeing any option. Is it not possible in the PC version? That'd be...silly.

george_us

If it makes you feel better I'm enjoying it.
Same here. I just got to
Lostlight
and I'm still loving the hell out of it. The dungeons and cool abilities really make this an enjoyable experience for me. I'm having a lot more fun with this than DS1 that's for sure.

KorrZ

Alright I think I've reached my breaking point with this game, going to be taking a break until I feel like putting up with this BS padding.

I just spent a good 30 minutes to an hour getting to
the throne room and then they tell me to go down and fight a champion. So I get there to fight him BUT WAIT, of course he can't just fight me I have to trek through 3 more lengthy areas just to get his ass up.

Nope.gif

I really don't understand this. So, you don't want to have to go through a dungeon to get something. Why on earth did you think this was a game for you? Exploring the dungeons and solving puzzles is the whole point.

The
horns
are just plain silly.

What do you get from getting all
4 gnomes?

Some pretty lame stat wise, but cool looking scythes.

Derrick01

Banned
I really don't understand this. So, you don't want to have to go through a dungeon to get something. Why on earth did you think this was a game for you? Exploring the dungeons and solving puzzles is the whole point.

I already explained it's pointless busywork. I spent more than half an hour of platforming just to reach the guy who told me I had to go prove myself and pointed me to the dudes who told me I had to prove myself before I could prove myself. The game is reaching parody levels now.

tragic

Developer
It's not bad, per say, but compared to the first half it really shows how much rushed or out of ideas Vigil was.

The end of the game was designed that way. I don't want to give out any spoilers for people that haven't gotten that far yet, but it was never meant to be as big as the first two areas. I can't think of a single thing that was cut from the last two zones.

Definitely not out of ideas, and just like DS1, a lot of things ultimately didn't make it. Those things were decided very early on. Nothing really in the latter half where we said "NM, let's just cut this way down in size/scope" or anything like that.

The problem with it is it's unnecessary chore work and fetch quests to artificially extend the game length so they can say it's 3 times DS1's length or whatever. Why do I have to do all that just to get the guy up? His sole job is to accept challenges. So I have to go out of my way to prove myself to the guy I'm supposed to kill to prove myself to another person. Ridiculous.

That isn't true at all. There is a massive difference between asking you to put on the mask and find the pieces (DS1) compared to having to do 2 or 3 entirely new dungeons. That isn't filler at all. Creating a dungeon takes months of work. Creating a "put on this mask and find these special pieces" does not. While you could definitely argue that they are necessary steps, they definitely aren't filler. Filler is something done easily to pad the game length... creating all new dungeons, creatures, bosses, etc... that is not done easily.

The great action games make style WORTH SOMETHING, not just visual flair. And I'm not talking about style meters but actual combat efficiency. DS2 does not do this.

This is also false. Doing delay chains, aerial hits, and just-frames actually inflict far more damage than X,X,X,X dodge, X,X,X,X... etc. Charge moves have power ratings (light, medium, heavy), and just frames are instant access to the heavy power rating (which causes staggers, launches some enemies off their feet). You don't even need to purchase advanced training to access the just frames. True, there is no ranking system for switching between combos and using as many unique attacks as you can (ala DMC/Bayo), but you are absolutely rewarded for being efficient.

It may be just for flash, but I'm ok with that. It really is an Action RPG/Adventure after all, that's why I said it may have the best combat in it's genre, I don't see it as an action game.

This helps to bring up a good point: DS2 was never meant to be in the combat game genre. DMC/Bayo and even NG/GOW are not action-adventure (re: Zelda) games. They are combat games. The DS series is basically violent-Zelda with more involved combat (and even more RPG mechanics in DS2). We worked on enhancing the combat in DS2 specifically for the fans. You have more freedom, creativity, and we reward efficiency, but it's still an action-rpg (or rpg-action).

If we wanted to make an actual game in the combat genre, things would be way different... but that would come at the cost of the whole adventure angle.

KevinCow

Banned
Gnomes? What? I was pretty sure I talked to everyone and completed most of the sidequests my first time through, but I missed that.

KorrZ

No, they're just a lame pair of scythes with random effects. They also look lame, with the gnome being the scythe itself.

Here's a better pic of Abyssal set.

Real letdown compared to the glory of the Abyssal set in DS1. The horns look lame and I expected a full chest piece :\

Gnomes? What? I was pretty sure I talked to everyone and completed most of the sidequests my first time through, but I missed that.

They're hidden collectibles.

Wow, the Necromancer side is much more interesting. Summoning 3 ghouls and 3 flocks of crows is just super fun against mobs and bosses. Exploding ghouls @_@

KorrZ

I already explained it's pointless busywork. I spent more than half an hour of platforming just to reach the guy who told me I had to go prove myself and pointed me to the dudes who told me I had to prove myself before I could prove myself. The game is reaching parody levels now.

If going through dungeons feels like pointless busy work, then this isn't the game for you. That's the point I'm trying to get across. It's like playing a Zelda game and going "man, I have to go through this dungeon to get the bow??? Why don't they just give it to me?"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I edited my post, it's not like it's a story spoiler.
Sorry in any case :) and there's no need to be this rude.

It's the final armor set in the game, that's a major visual spoiler... even worse when several post above I ask not to spoil it directly.

I'm ok with the dungeons being fetch quests as long as their fun, but the game doesn't have much narrative momentum, and it never seems imperative that you do much of anything. You're essentially an errand boy, get these 3 stones, collect these 3 judges, get these 3 things to wake up the boss, etc. Death must be asking himself, "Ok, why the fuck am I doing this again!?" So much doesn't advance the slight plot whatsoever.

Derrick01

Banned
If going through dungeons feels like pointless busy work, then this isn't the game for you. That's the point I'm trying to get across. It's like playing a Zelda game and going "man, I have to go through this dungeon to get the bow??? Why don't they just give it to me?"

That's not even close to what I'm saying. There's tasks to do like fighting this guy to prove to
the lord guy
that I'm worthy to meet him but when the freakin sub guy has a set of chores to do before I can even see him then it's getting out of hand. It's like the xzibit meme in a game.

tragic

Developer

If the motivation for experiencing those dungeons, is it still "busywork"? Sounds like you have more of a problem with the actual reason for visiting these dungeons. That could be considered, say, a story/narrative problem, but filler? Those are pretty large dungeons with unique puzzles, challenges, new enemies, bosses.

This, basically.

If you feel like Death (or you as a player) is just getting the runaround, then yeah, it sounds like you have more of an issue with the motivation factors than the actual dungeon content. But I can't speak for you there.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If the motivation for experiencing those dungeons, is it still "busywork"? Sounds like you have more of a problem with the actual reason for visiting these dungeons. That could be considered, say, a story/narrative problem, but filler? Those are pretty large dungeons with unique puzzles, challenges, new enemies, bosses.

This, basically.

If you feel like Death (or you as a player) is just getting the runaround, then yeah, it sounds like you have more of an issue with the motivation factors than the actual dungeon content. But I can't speak for you there.

I agree with Tragic. A lot of these motivation problems fall under narrative problems. I think the gameplay itself is fine, however, the story is not fine for me. I find that Death is just running errands for people left and right and the motivation behind it is extremely shallow. It feels like filler but in all honesty it isn't. The problem is that the movitation behind the main story and the extra stuff are sometimes indistinguishable due to the lack of priority and importance, it just waters down the narrative of the game.

A sidequest boss spoiler:
Deposed King
is fun to fight and easy to read his moves. Just move around to his left and dodge right. My ghouls are wrecking this thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I agree with Tragic. A lot of these motivation problems fall under narrative problems. I think the gameplay itself is fine, however, the story is not fine for me. I find that Death is just running errands for people left and right and the motivation behind it is extremely shallow. It feels like filler but in all honesty it isn't. The problem is that the movitation behind the main story and the extra stuff are sometimes indistinguishable due to the lack of priority and importance, it just waters down the narrative of the game.

It's because death is a major fucking softy if you haven't noticed :p He's not so much RAWR FUCKING RAWR GOTTA GET THIS SHIT DONE AND FUCK YOU IF YOU GET IN MY WAY YOU FUCK. Like War is.

Gbraga

About damage-rewarding more advanced play, so let's say doing XYYX for a crossover will always do more damage than XXXX? (assuming both weapons do the same damage for a fair analysis)

RPGCrazied

Wow. You know you're a terrible player when you can't get past the first 5 waves of the cruicable. I get to wave 5 and then I died. lol

KevinCow

Banned
It's because death is a major fucking softy if you haven't noticed :p He's not so much RAWR FUCKING RAWR GOTTA GET THIS SHIT DONE AND FUCK YOU IF YOU GET IN MY WAY YOU FUCK. Like War is.

"It seems you are not as cold and uncaring as your name would imply."

"Yes, well, let's keep that our little secret."

:3

Top Bottom