• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah Death's little frustrated quips (which by the way do not come anywhere near MY frustrated quips that I'm saying to the game) is not worth going through this kind of torture.

I'm still gonna platinum this game and do a full Nightmare run. That's a minimum of 3 playthroughs.

Mupod

The two things to really take away are:

a) The combat in DS2 is nothing like GOW. GOW was never used as inspiration in any way. DMC was always the inspiration, even with DS1, though you'd probably never know it unless you saw a mid-development build when War was way, way, WAY crazier (at one point, I believe he had 7 different launchers). While it is always an honor to be compared to successful and well-known combat games, it's always funny to see people (no one specifically here, mostly reviewers, or non-combat game fans) say DS1 and DS2 are just "GOW + Zelda". GOW has nothing to do with it, ever.

DS2 is simply DMC lite. It's not (and will never be) GOW+.

Man I've been saying this for years. Always drove me nuts that everyone was so eager to pile on the GOW comparisons when the only thing that was even remotely similar was the grab/execute button...which functioned pretty damn differently, and is VERY different now. The first game's combat was pretty basic even compared to DMC1 but Darksiders 2 is definitely in my books a game that 'gets it' in terms of combat mechanics. It's especially cool since it's from a western developer, not saying god of war is bad or whatever but I just get annoyed with the combat design in that game, dante's inferno etc. It's hard to explain why to people not familiar with the deeper bits of DMC-like combat systems or even fighting games.

also on the subject of the grab button I want to say I always thought it was lacking something in DS1, and making it stat-dependent was brilliant. It feels great seeing that B button prompt instead of just thinking 'oh great I gotta watch that execute cutscene again'

tragic

Developer
Yeah Death's little frustrated quips (which by the way do not come anywhere near MY frustrated quips that I'm saying to the game) is not worth going through this kind of torture.

Torture?

Interesting. Maybe you should stop playing then. It sounds like you aren't having fun at all. Our intention was simply to give players lots of dungeons, lots of mechanics, and a big adventure to partake in. If that isn't how you are feeling, then what we did obviously didn't resonate with you, and that's totally OK.

Anyway! I'm sure someone would buy it off you. You could probably even sell it back to GameStop (unless you are on PC). We don't even get anything out of used sales, but at least you might find some additional value in the product as you aren't enjoying yourself.

8 hours-ish impressions:

-It's fun.
-Wish Death could sprint.
-Hope the puzzles get some meat on them cause so far almost all of them are dead stupid.
-I'm not a Zelda fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but the dungeons here really do make you appreciate the elegance of a Zelda dungeon. They're very...utilitarian. Also they tend to look same-ish so far.
-Combat is fun, but it's also dead easy(on normal) after I got some health regen and extra crit chance.
-Visual armor progression of Death is GREAT.
-Looks just magnificent all things considered, but after 8 hours it is lacking some variety in the locales.
-Music is bangin, full stop.
-Weapons look great and there's a good visual variety. Wish there were more potential qualities/effects and it wasn't so tightly scaled.
-All the bosses have been pretty good or better.
-Wish there were more utility items/metroid-vania-ness to it.
-Has anyone been able to count how many different deliveries there are to 'This is no place for a horse'? There's at least three. Sometimes I just run around and click L1 + R1 and try to figure out how many there are cuz I'm bored cuz Death runs to slow. Personally I don't think hardly any of these places are appropriate for a horse, but if your whip is a skeletal demon-horse I'd say he should be able to get around.

Derrick01

Banned
Torture?

Interesting. Maybe you should stop playing then. It sounds like you aren't having fun at all. Our intention was simply to give players lots of dungeons, lots of mechanics, and a big adventure to partake in. If that isn't how you are feeling, then what we did obviously didn't resonate with you, and that's totally OK.

Anyway! I'm sure someone would buy it off you. You could probably even sell it back to GameStop (unless you are on PC). We don't even get anything out of used sales, but at least you might find some additional value in the product as you aren't enjoying yourself.

Steam :(

I'm going to at least see where the story goes. I really liked DS1's story and a lot of the characters, mostly between the heaven/hell conflict that so far has been 100% absent from this game. But I will say I was slightly spoiled by seeing the achievement list for this game before it came out and now I can say it's 1 time that I'm glad I was because it's giving me motivation to push on. I know at least 1 fight that's going to happen probably late in the game that I'm looking forward to.

For whatever reason the tail end of my first play-through and part of the way into new game+ the frame-rate has been a bit better (360 version).

Can't explain it but hey...can't hate on that.

tragic

Developer

I'm going to at least see where the story goes. I really liked DS1's story and a lot of the characters, mostly between the heaven/hell conflict that so far has been 100% absent from this game. But I will say I was slightly spoiled by seeing the achievement list for this game before it came out and now I can say it's 1 time that I'm glad I was because it's giving me motivation to push on. I know at least 1 fight that's going to happen probably late in the game that I'm looking forward to.

Do it! I believe in you, Derrick01!

You won't like it, you seem pretty hard to please.

neoism

guys this just droped for me on normal at world 2 lol

how do I rename it?
jMcxTeZwxA7nm.jpg

Fucking buggy POS of a game...omg...

So I'm fighting
The Wailing Host
at the end of
City of the dead
and around 50% he just froze...completly stopped moving and stayed up... I could hit its hands but nothing happend when I got him to 0%.... fucking great...

Same thing happen to me, and after I beat him I couldn't get the portal to world 3 and had to start all over again

so uh

hope you have better luck then I did, lol

KevinCow

Banned
I wish there was a sandbag or something somewhere with infinite health and the properties of standard light enemies to just beat up on and practice combos, like a fighting game training mode.

Mupod

I wish there was a sandbag or something somewhere with infinite health and the properties of standard light enemies to just beat up on and practice combos, like a fighting game training mode.

But there are training dummies next to Thane. Although I seem to 'break' them instantly lately...could be solved by using a wimpier weapon of the same class.

Megasoum

Banned

Aren't all the target dummies around Tane just for that? I know you can hit them, dunno about the stats...

Same thing happen to me, and after I beat him I couldn't get the portal to world 3 and had to start all over again

so uh

Good lord. If something like that happened to me(especially that late in the game) I would have sold the game right then and there.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars for getting through the game with only minor glitches.

Good lord. If something like that happened to me(especially that late in the game) I would have sold the game right then and there.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars for getting through the game with only minor glitches.

I kinda cried in the corner for awhile and did everything BUT play DS2 for a few days. It's a testament to how good this game is that I felt like playing it again. You'd be surprised how quickly you can run through the game once you know most of the puzzles. A little over 3 hours on the game time and I was already on my way to World 2.

gunbo13

EDIT: Also, I don't mean to rail on you gunbo. Just trying to balance things out and take a neutral perspective on things.
Don't sweat it.
DS2 is simply DMC lite. It's not (and will never be) GOW+.
Interesting... I like both though. ;)

But just to clear things up quickly, when I say GoW+, that is referencing our sort of rating scale for these titles. Kind of like <---Mark of Kri---God of War--DS2---NG/DMC/Bayo--> etc... Like I asked what the combat was like and was told slightly above God of War e.g. GoW+ as I put it. That doesn't mean it is necessarily "like" God of War but that the combat has that level of depth. On a rating scale with DMC4 being a 10 in depth, then if GoW was a 7, DS2 would be an 8. It's usually a way to say how proportional a title is to how long you can keep discovering, innovating, etc... It's also a combo video or advanced combat run perspective for really crazy action fans.
Styling, in the most traditional sense, is simply being fancy. It has nothing to do with efficiency.
Yea...but I guess another take some of us have is that these games can have "efficient styling." Why? Because we aren't intimidating or humiliating anyone. Often we are trying to do perfect runs or make freestyles. I've recorded a few DMC3 freestyles where I noticed I got lucky I didn't get hit. That's garbage bin stuff. So while you are referencing just being showy, I'm referencing using advanced/fireworks type tactics to efficiently dispose of opponents. If you are risking getting hit more then normal, that's a failure. If you are overly sacrificing damage for flair, that's a failure. If you are using advanced tactics with some real creativity to not only be showy but also dispose of your opponents quickly? That's success.
In regards to fluff: Every move was designed for a specific purpose. Whether or not you can use them is up to you and your ability to read the enemies and react in time.

*examples*
I see what your saying but as Kayos stated, I think our perceptions are just different. From the list, the only thing that peaked my interest was the varied bounce on the deathgrip slam. The rest of the stuff will be walled on write-ups when the experimentation is complete. I liked your previous combat string example better even if it relied on enemy movement. But before it gets confusing, your examples could technically fit what I said above as a success. I mean, just frames are advanced and this is quickly disposing of the enemy right? Yet, that's where the divergence happens. They are advanced under normal circumstances but baseline on another scale. That's a whole bunch of options or those are mostly the same mechanic... It's just different perspectives. It's not a knock to the title and not necessarily a hark to not being a DMC game. It's just an analysis and it could be proven incorrect in some regard...nothing more.

I'll also halt using GoW+ since it is confusing and totally understand this wasn't supposed to be a trinity competitive title. It's got good depth and stylish moves are certainly available in some regard. That's good enough since I didn't want to talk about the trinity games anyway!

retcon:
And just to be clear, my desire for more was only about the mileage on the title. I don't want to invest this much time into an action game where it sill putt putt on fumes when I beat it. So it's sort of a selfish reason I guess but honestly I only play a few games a year these days. So I'm selective and when it comes to action games, I'm obnoxiously selective.

JohngPR

Fair enough. I'm personally seeing too much risk on the stylish moves making them impractical e.g. fluff. And I'm not convinced there is much depth except maybe a bit beyond that gif. We'll have to wait and see...

Precise input during a small frame window (very short time). If you are running at 60fps, then a just frame input might be hitting a button within 5 frames for example.

Is it comparable to the two-in-ones you could do in the Street Fighter series?

Megasoum

Banned

so uh

Phew, went ok the second time... Well I haven't checked the portal yet but I killed the boss and got the cutscene afterward.

Seriously, that game is a joke. Maybe it's because I work in QA myself so I always end up finding bugs in any games I play but this is ridiculous. I would be ashamed to have my name in the credits if it had been tested in my departement...

gunbo13

Is it comparable to the two-in-ones you could do in the Street Fighter series?
You mean links? Not really but both have input windows. You only have a certain number of frames after your first attack on a link before the next will fail to register; that applying to a combo. Just frames are single inputs within that window, often times stricter relying on visual cues. However, there are 1 frame links in fighting games so it varies.

It's sort of like this where each X is a frame, 30 frames per second in this case.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And let's say you input an attack at the start of that duration and it lands in-between.

YXXXXXXXXXXXXYXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For a just-frame input, the developer will give you a window around that second landing "Y" to input a follow up button press. If you are successful, then that's a just frame input. It is up to them how evil they want to be in the number of frames. But let's say they give you 5 frames on a 30fps polling system.

YXXXXXXXXXXXXYZZZZZXXXXXXXXXXX

So if you hit that "Z" window, you are good to go! Of course, this is really simplified. The game can be coded on different polling, the frame rate could adapt to the input system, there can be lag, etc... But that's the basic idea.

KevinCow

Banned
You know what I miss from the first game? Metroid style health and magic tanks. Because finding a nice box of loot is good and all, but there's really nothing like opening that chest and being treated to a big old health upgrade, or finally collecting the fourth piece of that health tank.

I feel like they could've achieved a similar function in this game by letting you upgrade your potion carrying capacity throughout the course of the game.

Mupod

You know what I miss from the first game? Metroid style health and magic tanks. Because finding a nice box of loot is good and all, but there's really nothing like opening that chest and being treated to a big old health upgrade, or finally collecting the fourth piece of that health tank.

I feel like they could've achieved a similar function in this game by letting you upgrade your potion carrying capacity throughout the course of the game.

I think the 5-potion limit was a deliberate design choice.

And I guess the stonebite things are the replacement for 'heart pieces', but they don't have as big an impact as seeing your HP bar lengthen each time.

Megasoum

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something obvious here... So I got into
Boneriven
... how do I get through the door? lol I got the
Soul Splitter
but I don't get how to solve that lol.

Edit: NVM...I'm stupid.

forrest

formerly nacire
Death is such a better designed character then War. Love the way he looks.

ibdMcXvxk8SOwe.png

I disagree, I think they are both really well designed. War gets a lot of hate that I just don't understand. I think I prefer War in his abyssal armor to Death in his actually.

burgerdog

^^
Looking at that screen makes me wish that the game had graphic options, it's a sad day when I have to play a game without ssao on pc.

forrest

formerly nacire
Fucking buggy POS of a game...omg...

So I'm fighting
The Wailing Host
at the end of
City of the dead
and around 50% he just froze...completly stopped moving and stayed up... I could hit its hands but nothing happend when I got him to 0%.... fucking great...

Found a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnyyBvj3Vsw

I absolutely adore the game, but seeing things like this really sucks. Sorry you're having such a bad time with it. I wish THQ would have let it bake for 2 more months honestly.

forrest

formerly nacire

Yeah I miss them too, but I guess this is one of the progression items you scrap when moving to a loot system.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As for the game breaking bugs, I've got one during the
Scribe
boss fight.
Basically
he couldn't destroy the floor to reveal a portal when he was supposed to do so.
Had to reload the fight.

Duffyside

Banned
Am really enjoying the game still, as it's the first in a long time that has had me eager to play the single-player again every day as soon as I get time, maybe more due to its length than anything, but that still equates to value. Really enjoyed figuring out a couple of side-dungeon/quest platforming puzzles today (
On the outside of first side-dungeon, where you fight Gorewood, there were a pair of Death Grip hooks and I couldn't figure out how to get to a ledge to grab them... only to figure out I had to run along the outside of the walls and then drop down and grab the under-ceiling as I was falling).

Though now that I am in World 2, I'm worried. This place is really... grey/brown. All of it, it seems. And if this World is actually as big as World 1, that's going to be very hard for me to get through. I hope this isn't the case -- other than the second dungeon and the run up to it, the first World was really beautiful.

could someone please tell me where the game's manual can be found? I have looked everywhere through steam and my harddrive and I cant seem to find it. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS!

Blades64

Banned
I give up. Game runs like crap on my PC. So I'll just wait for the Wii U version and hope for the best.

It's funny though. Even though the game was running at like 20 FPS, in a small 720x480 window or something, I STILL COULDN'T STOP PLAYING.

You guys at Vigil outdid yourselves with this game...

KevinCow

Banned
need a youtube tutorial vid lol what the hell is a "just frame"??

It just means that there's exactly one frame in which you can press the button to do the move. If there are 30 frames a second, then there is a 1/30th of a second opening for you to press the button to do that move.

I personally think it's kinda dumb and needlessly difficult to execute, but maybe that's just me.

I disagree, I think they are both really well designed. War gets a lot of hate that I just don't understand. I think I prefer War in his abyssal armor to Death in his actually.
Yup, I love both characters pretty equally, Death maybe has the slight edge because he's probably more likely to stand out. Haven't seen Death's Abyssal Armor yet, though.

Duffyside

Banned
It just means that there's exactly one frame in which you can press the button to do the move. If there are 30 frames a second, then there is a 1/30th of a second opening for you to press the button to do that move.

I personally think it's kinda dumb and needlessly difficult to execute, but maybe that's just me.

It is not just you, but I don't think it's actually just one frame. That's just the terminology. It's probably more like 1/5th of a second, which still is NO FUN (... for me).

Dahbomb

I don't think the just frames in DS2 are 1 frame just. Their difficulty in execution lie somewhere between doing an EX-Act charge with Nero vs a MAX-Act charge.

Phew, went ok the second time... Well I haven't checked the portal yet but I killed the boss and got the cutscene afterward.

Seriously, that game is a joke. Maybe it's because I work in QA myself so I always end up finding bugs in any games I play but this is ridiculous. I would be ashamed to have my name in the credits if it had been tested in my departement...

Dare I ask what games you have tested? Because as a gamer these days (and most will agree) a majority of games have bugs along those levels of severity after release.

Top Bottom