• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Duffyside

Banned
How worried should I be that the second World is going to look so drab and brown the whole time? Tell me now. Acceptance is the best course of action.

Dahbomb

2nd world lacks color but not art and atmosphere. It still has stunning locales and better pacing than the first. For a game named Darksiders starring a character named Death, the world is most apt.

Raxus

2nd world lacks color but not art and atmosphere. It still has stunning locales and better pacing than the first. For a game named Darksiders starring a character named Death, the world is most apt.

I just wish every other area was a dungeon. Still City of the Dead is probably one of the best dungeons in the game.

Dahbomb

Actually the number of dungeons in Ds2 is staggering, it actually made me wish for some quests in the open environment. There are some but time spent in dungeons dominated everything.

Thank god for fast travel in this game, I can now never play a Darksiders game without it.

I really, really like the
Eternal Throne
- a
flying
fortress that uses two
giant serpents
to move it. The art looks great here too, and I was like "what" when I saw the rainbow-colored/marbled structure.

I don't think the just frames in DS2 are 1 frame just. Their difficulty in execution lie somewhere between doing an EX-Act charge with Nero vs a MAX-Act charge.

I feel like Im bashing my head against a wall because I can't find any. Whats the most consistent one to pull off that I can get my head around the system?

Oliuarius

Neo Member
The end of the game was designed that way. I don't want to give out any spoilers for people that haven't gotten that far yet, but it was never meant to be as big as the first two areas. I can't think of a single thing that was cut from the last two zones.

Definitely not out of ideas, and just like DS1, a lot of things ultimately didn't make it. Those things were decided very early on. Nothing really in the latter half where we said "NM, let's just cut this way down in size/scope" or anything like that.

That isn't true at all. There is a massive difference between asking you to put on the mask and find the pieces (DS1) compared to having to do 2 or 3 entirely new dungeons. That isn't filler at all. Creating a dungeon takes months of work. Creating a "put on this mask and find these special pieces" does not. While you could definitely argue that they are necessary steps, they definitely aren't filler. Filler is something done easily to pad the game length... creating all new dungeons, creatures, bosses, etc... that is not done easily.

This is also false. Doing delay chains, aerial hits, and just-frames actually inflict far more damage than X,X,X,X dodge, X,X,X,X... etc. Charge moves have power ratings (light, medium, heavy), and just frames are instant access to the heavy power rating (which causes staggers, launches some enemies off their feet). You don't even need to purchase advanced training to access the just frames. True, there is no ranking system for switching between combos and using as many unique attacks as you can (ala DMC/Bayo), but you are absolutely rewarded for being efficient.

This helps to bring up a good point: DS2 was never meant to be in the combat game genre. DMC/Bayo and even NG/GOW are not action-adventure (re: Zelda) games. They are combat games. The DS series is basically violent-Zelda with more involved combat (and even more RPG mechanics in DS2). We worked on enhancing the combat in DS2 specifically for the fans. You have more freedom, creativity, and we reward efficiency, but it's still an action-rpg (or rpg-action).

If we wanted to make an actual game in the combat genre, things would be way different... but that would come at the cost of the whole adventure angle.

Please, fix the massive tearing on the 360 version... It's horrible (world map in particular).

Dahbomb

I feel like Im bashing my head against a wall because I can't find any. Whats the most consistent one to pull off that I can get my head around the system?
Pick a Hammer, jump, press Y and then just as your feet are about to land press Y on landing. If you do it right he will do a charged move instantly. AY:Y. You can add another just frame after this with another timed Y input. AY:Y:Y

If you have the forward evade + y move you can even do it off of that. As soon as the hammer makes contact tap Y. Forward + RB+ Y : Y

The Meteor strike version is jump, dodge in air (meteor strike) and then tap y on landing. A RB : Y

There is another just frame window in the game that should be possible off the last hit of the basic tap x combo. He does a double attack at the end but doing a timed input just before the last hit will cancel the move into the just frame. XXXX:Y. I have not been able to replicate this. This should also be possible off of YXYYYX:Y (the colon indicating just frame input).

Raxus

Pick a Hammer, jump, press Y and then just as your feet are about to land press Y on landing. If you do it right he will do a charged move instantly.

If you have the forward evade + y move you can even do it off of that. As soon as the hammer makes contact tap Y.

The Meteor strike version is jump, dodge in air (meteor strike) and then tap y on landing.

There is another just frame window in the game that should be possible off the last hit of the basic tap x combo. He does a double attack at the end but doing a timed input just before the last hit will cancel the move into the just frame. I have not been able to replicate this. This should also be possible off of YXYYYX:Y (the colon indicating just frame input).

Do you use claws? I used the hammers but after I got the health claws I haven't been able to switch. They still hold up in new game plus too. Not to mention you can do some crazy stuff with claws and scythes.

Dahbomb

I don't use claws but they might be the best sec weapon in the game and my end game sec weapon will probably be a claw weapon. I just have a really good possessed Mace at the moment.

Pick a Hammer, jump, press Y and then just as your feet are about to land press Y on landing. If you do it right he will do a charged move instantly. AY:Y. You can add another just frame after this with another timed Y input. AY:Y:Y

If you have the forward evade + y move you can even do it off of that. As soon as the hammer makes contact tap Y. Forward + RB+ Y : Y

The Meteor strike version is jump, dodge in air (meteor strike) and then tap y on landing. A RB : Y

There is another just frame window in the game that should be possible off the last hit of the basic tap x combo. He does a double attack at the end but doing a timed input just before the last hit will cancel the move into the just frame. XXXX:Y. I have not been able to replicate this. This should also be possible off of YXYYYX:Y (the colon indicating just frame input).

Is the just frame any visibly different or is it merely a charged move executing quickly? Because I can easily do that, but not by just framing it, but by merely starting a quick charge early in the move. So for example, A, Y (immediately tap and hold Y again) and release once I hit the ground.

Or am I missing it entirely?

Dahbomb

If you do it right there is 0 charge animation.

The Mace version is visibly different in that scenario. Doing it right he will do a vertical smash even though its charge move is a baseball swing attack. If you just frame again after that just frame then you finish with the baseball swing.

If you do it right there is 0 charge animation.

Yeah, I'm getting no charge animation. Im just hiding the charge inside the other moves. Hold up, I'll record a quick clip of what I'm talking about.

I also found that with the Axe, if you hit X after the end of the smash downwards he'll do the launcher.

Dahbomb

Buffering the input works too in fact that was how I originally did it until I figured I can do it with a single tap.

X on PS3 or 360?

If I had some way to record this I would've done it myself.

Dahbomb

I want to see that. Also try the just frame after the combo string that I was unable to. Tragic did it in that gif if you want to take a good look at it.

I want to see that. Also try the just frame after the combo string that I was unable to. Tragic did it in that gif if you want to take a good look at it.

Oh, no worries, I already did it. Just gimme 15 mins to render and upload. You're talking about busting out the charged Y instantly as soon as Death finishes his fourth X attack, right?

burgerdog

I'm not going to bother with collect-a-thon quests. Not worth my time, it's going to be a pain looking for items using a guide because I will not know what I have and haven't picked up yet. And this gears of darksiders dungeon better be over soon...

Oh so those invisible enemies are for that Death Rides pack that the GS pre orders got. Well that sucks.

And those two ability slots... will they be for DLC?

Micerider

Well guys, I'm only at world 2 so I cannot comment on the end yet, but what is sure is that, so far, the game already provided more enjoyement that the entire Darksiders 1, so I'm fine with the purchase.

Combats are Ok and greatly improved from first game, I was never expecting a Bayosiders 2. The very fact that you have a wider range of combos, an evolutive skill-tree and a variation of secondary weapons/equipments makes it much more entertaining. I'd dare say that I like it as much as the combat system in God of War, but with a greater layer of adventure and explorations on top of it.

Anyone playing this with a Radeon card? I'm thinking of upgrading my Sapphire 5770 1GB card to the 6850 - any recommendations on which card I should buy? Possibly going to double-dip on the PC version.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.2GHz
G.Skill 8GB RAM

burgerdog

Anyone playing this with a Radeon card? I'm thinking of upgrading my Sapphire 5770 1GB card to the 6850 - any recommendations on which card I should buy? Possibly going to double-dip on the PC version.

G.Skill 8GB RAM

Isn't the 6870 just a few more dollars? Spend a bit more money and go for the better card. I have an absolute locked 60fps with that card and a 3750k @ 4.2 and 8gb ram. I could even record at the same time and still maintain 60.

Isn't the 6870 just a few more dollars? Spend a bit more money and go for the better card. I have an absolute locked 60fps with that card and a 3750k @ 4.2 and 8gb ram. I could even record at the same time and still maintain 60.

Is there a specific card I should buy of the 6870? I need a quiet card - my 5770 has some loud fans.

DieH@rd

Banned

G.Skill 8GB RAM

Game works perfectly on my 6870, and I have same CPU as you.

Top Bottom