• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Carm

Heh, I don't like how the game/website keeps a death count for you.

http://www.darksiders.com/community/stats/galanthas

18 hours played, only maybe 15% into World 2, I've already gotten my moneys worth, despite the PC versions shortcomings.

62 Deaths

42 of those Environmental because I, like I'm sure others do, test out where you can jump to. That and fucking control bugs where your character doesn't grab a ledge it should.

20 Combat deaths. I had only 7 deaths up till I went into The Scar, and didn't realize till I got a ways in that they were level 17 while I was I think 11.

Hopefully someone puts out a guide for those collection quests. Would really like to, at the very least, know how many of each are in each world.

protonion

I'll have it tomorrow finally. Two questions:

-Is Argul's Tomb worth hunting the limited edition for? How much does it add to the game?
-Any major problems for the PS3 version?

I'll have it tomorrow finally. Two questions:

-Is Argul's Tomb worth hunting the limited edition for? How much does it add to the game?
-Any major problems for the PS3 version?

Argul's Tomb isn't available yet - it should be available some time next month. And most stores should still have the Limited Edition.

I've only had my game freeze up once on me (on PS3) after about 12 hours of play. There's some minor screen tearing and loading mid-game when entering certain areas, but nothing too major.

Carm

That's a bummer that it resets.

What are these sweet spot release timing skills. Just extends the time that you can do them in?

Kem0sabe

Why do all the quests play the same? They always involve finding between 2 and 3 macguffins to unlock a boss to get the last macguffin.

Keyboard controls are terrible, and they cant be changed :-/

This.

It's why I can't play it. It is literally that bad.

Also.
I like DS1 better, even though I like the improved RPG elements of 2.
DS2 just doesn't have that great a script. It's like an entirely different team wrote it.

_machine

Ugh, Steam said it'd unlock 20th of August so I assumed I'd get to play it already, but alas no, it's apparently unlocks at 23:59...well I guess I'll get to finish the Stormcloak questline and be done with Skyrim for a while then.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
All side quests done. My god it took like 10 hours to find the remaining collectibles. Time to start New Game +

This game really needs help in this department. The very least they could have done for us would have been to number them. Better still would have been once you made the sticks and stones quest your current objective, the silver map marker could have hovered over the location of the next piece.

forrest

formerly nacire
Keyboard controls are terrible, and they cant be changed :-/

Here you go man, the sky isn't falling yet.

http://community.darksiders.com/go/thread/view/138731/29314129/Controller_Options__Remapping_Controls_PC

This game really needs help in this department. The very least they could have done for us would have been to number them. Better still would have been once you made the sticks and stones quest your current objective, the silver map marker could have hovered over the location of the next piece.

Well they make a slight humming noise when you get close to them, but I agree there needs to be some sort of stronger way to help hunt them down. Even the rumble stone from Ocarina would have been more helpful that them emitting a noise. Most of the ambient tracks are full of a lot of while noise making it difficult to hunt them by ear.

And yeah having a 4/10 written on the items icon in your inventory would have been helpful as well. I guess you could just hold onto all of you stones and count them that way, but then you would have to wait until the very end to actually use them.

Bleh, the dungeon designs in this game makes me appreciate the first game more. Also, the boss fights in the first game were much better. And the story here is moving at a snail's pace.

Don't get me wrong, this game improved a lot in terms of combat, art work and a loot system, but it's certainly lacking in intricate level design and interesting boss fights that makes use of the abilities or items you've acquired (like in the first game).

Nothing in this game will top the Black Throne from the looks of it.

Micerider

Bleh, the dungeon designs in this game makes me appreciate the first game more. Also, the boss fights in the first game were much better. And the story here is moving at a snail's pace.

Don't get me wrong, this game improved a lot in terms of combat, art work and a loot system, but it's certainly lacking in intricate level design and interesting boss fights that makes use of the abilities or items you've acquired (like in the first game).

Nothing in this game will top the Black Throne from the looks of it.

I agree that dungeons could be improved (the afore-mentioned Macguffin chase is redundant, evenr if it serves different mechanics) but I see most dungeons as surpassing those of the first games. Still not "Zelda-level" on that point but I thought they are, so far, great. Boss fights...hhhmm yeah, not better than first game, but some are cool as well.

Derrick01

Banned
Why do all the quests play the same? They always involve finding between 2 and 3 macguffins to unlock a boss to get the last macguffin.

It's pretty bad aint it?

earvcunanan said:

Agree with all of that. There's been way more dungeons so far but I don't think any of them were as long or difficult as the main ones in 1 and I don't remember most of the boss fights that I've done so far as they've been fairly generic enemies.

I agree that dungeons could be improved (the afore-mentioned Macguffin chase is redundant, evenr if it serves different mechanics) but I see most dungeons as surpassing those of the first games. Still not "Zelda-level" on that point but I thought they are, so far, great. Boss fights...hhhmm yeah, not better than first game, but some are cool as well.

Which dungeon in Darksiders II surpasses the greatness of the Black Throne, or even Twilight Cathedral? The Ashlands?! ;___;

sry i can´t combo that high if my 39 combo does the same damage! ;P

Haha, that's a good point. I was wondering how the hell people had such high combos and I only ever managed 66. My combo damage is 58,452 though

http://www.darksiders.com/community/stats/StunandStab

edit: As for peoples disappointment with this game, I have to say I agree. I don't think I liked it quite as much as the first game. It seems like the story was pretty much non-existant in this one and that was pretty disappointing, and then the whole gameplay was just dungeon, dungeon, dungeon, combat room, more dungeon. It got tiring.

Micerider

Which dungeon in Darksiders II surpasses the greatness of the Black Throne, or even Twilight Cathedral? The Ashlands?! ;___;

Twilight Cathedral was cool, Black Throne was a bit too padded with the same mechanic for my taste though (still liked it). Did not like the Ashlands.

I liked the Secret Temple I liked the Guilded Arena. Foundry was Ok (better than Ashland or the Sewers from the first game for me), still chumping on City of the Dead and enjoying it so far. Maybe not as long as those of the first game but I certainly find them as entertaining as the Cathedral and Blackthrone, and some better.

Now, It might be due to the "recent" experience of the game which overshadows the old memories but so far I like the dungeons (once again, aside from the Macguffins).

Oliuarius

Neo Member
Really? I'm about 14 or so hours in and I haven't seen much tearing at all, and I hated it in the first game on xbox.

I do not agree !

Are you sure you have turned off 100 hz, 200 hz or 600 hz on your TV set ?

There's a lot of tearing on 360 : world map, dungeons... and it's obvious (in 720 p and 1080 p, HDMI, game installed on HD).

It's as bad as DARKSIDERS 1 before the patch !

Feindflug

I do not agree !

There's a lot of tearing on 360 : world map, dungeons... and it's obvious (in 720 p and 1080 p, HDMI, game installed on HD).

Seriously WTF is going on with the performance of this game? you're saying that the tearing is as bad as DS1 pre-patch and many others have said in this thread that tearing is nowhere near that bad and all these claims are simply people overreactiing.

At this point I can't take seriously (no offense) any impressions on the frame-rate, either the game is acting differently on different systems/setups or some people simply do not see tearing and drops at all.

Hopefully things will be at least better than DS1 pre-patch on my set. :/

RPGCrazied

I do not agree !

I have the PS3 version. It mostly tears in the out door areas. I got to world 2 and I see 0, of course I just arrived. People say they don't have tearing, or maybe they just can't notice it. I'm very sensitive to it, so I can easily see it. Thank goodness it doesn't tear all the time.

The thing that sucks is when one of the devs said the consoles don't tear it all.

Jeffzomg

Neo Member
Just my 2 cents.

So I'm 22 hours in just got
Soul Arbiters Maze
sidequest and just opened the portal to
Earth
and am about half way to lvl 20. This game is amazing, I've explored everything so far and have 76 boatman coins. Possessed weapons are so powerful, Scythe-Claw combo is my favorite. Money is so easy to get though, even with multiple possessed weapons I have over 900k gilt.

I don't know how people are complaining about this game its exactly what I was hoping for.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know how people are complaining about this game its exactly what I was hoping for.

Mostly the endless fetch quests and non existent story. I just got yet another collect 3 things fetch sub quest while on a collect 3 things fetch quest for my main goal.

I know I sound like a broken record about this stuff but they literally just keep coming.

Naito

I take you're on X360, you should see how scandalous is the pc port :)
I'm also disappointed about the story progression: it gets costantly postponed ("you want to speak/do something with that guy? Take me 3 items!")
and, imo, it feels very weak overall.
The closure also doesn't add anything, like it was just a side-story of Darksiders 1; I most probably expected more.

Jeffzomg

Neo Member
I take you're on X360, you should see how scandalous is the pc port :)
I'm also disappointed about the story progression: it gets costantly postponed ("you want to speak/do something with that guy? Take me 3 items!")
and, imo, it feels very weak overall.
The closure also doesn't add anything, like it was just a side-story of Darksiders 1; I most probably expected more.

I am on 360 so that is true, I don't have any of the port problems.
But coming into this game I was expecting the usual go here get this, fight this, but I was excited for the world designs and combat and pretty much everything but the quests because most games are repetitive in nature now anyway.

Naito

I got excited for the combat and world design too, and those are also the reasons why I enjoy the game after all.
But, as Derrick01 already emphasized, the game keeps throwing at you the same formula and the story progression feels, from time to time,
like a joke because of it.

I too am in love with the Scythes-Fast weapon combo; this is my secondary weapon :)
Heal steal 95% is really overpowered.

H9Si9.png

Kem0sabe

It seems that the only way they could justify the inclusion of dungeons was by adding "fetch me 3 magic items" quests.

The game plays like a series of randomly generated fetch quests, it makes no sense and it doesn´t seem to have much of a story... fuck... your one of the horsemen, your Death... you shouldn´t be doing all these fucking errands for every npc you meet.

Dahbomb

I too am in love with the Scythes-Fast weapon combo; this is my secondary weapon :)
Heal steal 95% is really overpowered.

H9Si9.png
95% health steal... wtf is this bull shit?

Anyway I downloaded Fraps and recorded the just frames inputs I was talking about last night. Also downloaded a free movie editor and will paste them together with some text so I can put on Youtube so people at least know what they look like. Expect a very amateur job.

But... it IS a side story to DS1, that's not even a spoiler that's basically the marketing of this game. I sort of expected this to be case anyway, they can't progress forward too much storyline wise without dealing with all the Horsemen and their perspective during.

I can take all the DS games I can get but it's going to be hard digesting another DS game where the main story side steps just to set up 2 more characters.

Dahbomb

I don't understand how you got the life steal to go that high. What item did you feed into it and what was the health steal stats on it?

Highest health steal I have seen so far was like 20%+ and I thought that was OP. Unless these items were acquired while defeating the Crucible which is OK by me I guess because by then you have conquered the game anyway or maybe it's just that it was a LVL30 item and the roll on it goes that high on health steal.

Naito

To tell the truth, I also was very surprised about the result: I started collecting many violet (epic?) weapons with Heal Steal,
but their stat were always around 20%. I then fed them to the possessed gauntlets and, for one upgrade, I sacrificed
my past possessed claws (which already had 33% Heal Steal): suddenly the stat rised to 90% and this is how it reached 95%!

I don't have an exact explanation, I followed the guide that was posted pages back ago. I guess space magic was involved at some point..!

Dahbomb

To tell the truth, I also was very surprised about the result: I started collecting many violet (epic?) weapons with Heal Steal,
but their stat were always around 20%. I then fed them to the possessed gauntlets and, for one upgrade, I sacrificed
my past possessed claws (which already had 33% Heal Steal): suddenly the stat rised to 90% and this is how it reached 95%!

I don't have an exact explanation, I followed the guide that was posted pages back ago. I guess space magic was involved at some point..!
But the guide stated contrary to that!

Damn... this changes everything.

Naito

But the guide stated contrary to that!

Damn... this changes everything.

Well, no idea then: I always fed the best weapon I could find/buy with the stats I looked for and, at some point, the Heal Steal stat jumped to 90%.
Perhaps I'll try to build another one, but GW2 is very close and my interest in DS2 is fading.

Dahbomb keeps getting his mind blown
Wouldn't expect less from one called da bomb.

FtHTiny

With 40%-50% health steal you can basically stop to dodge in this game.
With 95% you don´t even have to look at the screen to fight the crucible?

Oliuarius

Neo Member
Seriously WTF is going on with the performance of this game? you're saying that the tearing is as bad as DS1 pre-patch and many others have said in this thread that tearing is nowhere near that bad and all these claims are simply people overreactiing.

At this point I can't take seriously (no offense) any impressions on the frame-rate, either the game is acting differently on different systems/setups or some people simply do not see tearing and drops at all.

Hopefully things will be at least better than DS1 pre-patch on my set. :/

Sorry man but I am a gamer since 80' and I know what I'm talking about :)

My setup : 360 slim, HDMI, dash on 720p or 1080p (no difference). No gadget like motion flow, 600 hz, HD natural motion (...) enabled on TV set.

Perhaps
- people are less "sensitive" to it than me (intentionally or unintentionally),
- or play in 600 hz mode (despite the input lag),
- or play in VGA mode
- (...)

, but compared to other games there is a fact : this game is natively not optimized on 360, the tearing (& drops) is too noticeable.

Moreover, people can love a game and criticize a significant problem, it is not prohibited.

What is their "magic" configuration on 360 ?

Top Bottom