• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
:lol I cant believe i have the most post in the thread and Im barely on world 3 of the game xD

So...if the Arcane stat only plays into how much damage I do in reaper form or with reaper attacks...what stat should I be stacking for a necro build?
Arcane crit and arcane effect:

Reaper form

Reaper attacks

Elemental Damage

Necro skill tree damage spells

I went over this already :lol

sephi22

Anyone got any guides on where to find all the stones for sticks and stones?
Also check last page for my posts on trading. I'm looking for items with health steal

Dahbomb

Figured out another double Just Frame move.

The last hit of any Hammer combo that ends with the vertical strike can be just framed into another vertical strike and then into another just frame which gives you the baseball finisher.

Example:

YYY:Y:Y
XXXYYY:Y:Y
YXXYY:Y:Y

: indicates Just Frame input

gunbo13

Darksiders is more suitable for consoles I think, so many people with powerful PCs get it for their console anyways (like me).
Playing 1080p 60fps+ with a DS3 on a 60" LCD is a bit more suitable then consoles. Your logic only makes sense based on your setup or preference. And it is going to harsh getting just frame inputs at 30fps-...

---

Anyway, the dungeons are seriously a chore in this game. Fetch quests, repetitive platforming, repetitive puzzles, re-skin enemies, and shitty bosses. The RPG aspects are now getting boring since I know I can just find better stuff buying/finding without chest running. And I barely use the specials since the battles are over in 10 seconds. The pacing is just really bad and the gameplay repetitive. The combat system is way better then the rest of the game yet as I said, the battles are so brief I feel like I didn't even fight. There is no matching to the enemy AI, need for advanced tactics, or variety in the setups.

Game is surviving for me barely from the combat. I'm doing just frame inputs and there is no way they are single frame FYI. Meteor smash off an aerial is the easiest link into JF and the hammer ones can still be way too slow. It's still laggy and overly risky. So JFs are OK but I don't find them anything special. I do them for the advantage but can I also just sub them out for something just as effective. I'd rather play launch games with the grab and over the head launcher. Control the mobs instead of zoning in on JFs so I can get smashed in the face. You are better off canceling your lag with dodge or quick swaps.

I'm going to focus more on the grab mechanic, enemy bounce, use of specials, and fine tuning my rush-down. JFs are not what I'm seeing hyped here so people who can't do them shouldn't feel bad.

Dascu

Yeah, the end-game's a bit of a disappointment.
I killed Absolom so fast, I couldn't believe it. I was playing on Normal and was level 22, but still. I was just amazed, thinking surely there must be some second phase. I enjoyed the fight with the Guardian and I was hoping there would be another one like it. Guess not.

Generally though, really loved the game. It's got a different, more Diablo-ish approach to the game design than it's predecessor, and I don't mind that at all.

Oh, and my praise to the art designers. The world looks amazing and I often just stood around to gaze at the beautifully crafted scenery.

Dahbomb

2nd world has better enemy variety. Just in the starting few dungeons you get introduced to like 3-4 completely new enemies.
The Wraiths with the spinning attacks and teleports, the giant shield enemies and the reaper with the vase looking thing that summons souls... would be interesting to fight something like that all at once in the Crucible.

Adding in Just Frames/Sweet Spots into my bag of tricks has made bringing down enemies quicker. The JF moves pack more punch. Of course you should only do it when you see the opening and when you have the timing down some. Still have yet to experiment with the faster weapons JFs.

There seem to be hidden property to the JF/SSs that is hard to explain. More stagger on bigger enemies on the like. Requires extensive testing on various enemy body types to figure out what they do.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand why you'd play this game and then complain about all the puzzles and platforming and exploring. Did you not know what you were getting into when you got it?

It's like the people who got Metroid Prime and then complained that it wasn't Halo all over again.

gunbo13

Still have yet to experiment with the faster weapons JFs.
That I'm more interested in and can change my mind a bit. I'm going to eventually switch to a speed build since slow secondary just isn't working for me.
I don't understand why you'd play this game and then complain about all the puzzles and platforming and exploring. Did you not know what you were getting into when you got it?
Sorry, I guess I didn't have the foresight to know that the puzzles and platforming were mind-numbingly repetitive. I should have known...

Dahbomb

I don't see how they are repetitive, it's not like you are doing the same exact puzzle over and over again. Each new puzzle is building on top of the one you solved previously. The platforming does need more spice though, it's the same ledges, hooks, vines and wall run scratch marks all across the game. Still they are at least relaxing and a nice change of pace, I don't mind just like how I didn't mind them in PoP2008.

Lombax

Banned
I am stuck on a puzzle in the second act:
I am stuck at the part where there are two bridges and a switch there is a chest at the end of the second bridge. when you open the switch the closest bridge comes up but the one far away goes down. I can see there is a bomb spawn near the switch and I have placed a bomb on it then shoot it and try to run across the bridge but it never works. Any tips on how to get the second bridge up?

I know i am going to feel like a moron when I figure out the solution.

PaulLFC

Steam says 3 hours until it unlocks here in the UK... is that right though? Around 9pm Monday night seems a very strange time to release, not that I'd be complaining if it happens!

Also for anyone else whose game is still locked, do you get a "missing decryption key" message if you try and launch it? I'm sure the last game I preloaded said something about the game not yet being released instead.

KorrZ

I am stuck on a puzzle in the second act:
I am stuck at the part where there are two bridges and a switch. when you open the switch the closest bridge comes up but the one far away goes down. I can see there is a bomb spawn near the switch and I have placed a bomb on it then shoot it and try to run across the bridge but it never works. Any tips on how to get the second bridge up?

I know i am going to feel like a moron when I figure out the solution.

If you're where I think you are: Place a bomb on the switch and then put more bombs next to it, creating a line towards the bomb growth so you can see one from the other side. Run to the other side of the bridge, shoot the bomb and it should cause a chain reaction, hitting the switch and letting you get across

KevinCow

Banned
I mean I just don't get how you can call this game repetitive, and then compare it to Japanese character action games which are literally fight enemies -> move to next room -> fight more enemies -> move to next room -> fight more enemies -> move to next room -> repeat until end.

Derrick01

Banned
I mean I just don't get how you can call this game repetitive, and then compare it to Japanese character action games which are literally fight enemies -> move to next room -> fight more enemies -> move to next room -> fight more enemies -> move to next room -> repeat until end.

Yeah as upset as I am with this game it's no Bayonetta or DMC 4 on the awful/boring scale. Now those games I did quit mid way through because I couldn't take any more of it. This game I still have some interest hanging on by a thread.

391224_10151154715990546_190454103_n.jpg

Because character action games by their very nature are more engaging and exciting.

Edit: Or action games/shooters/anything in general.

KevinCow

Banned
Because character action games by their very nature are more engaging and exciting.

And I find exploring and puzzles and traversal with fights here and there infinitely more engaging and exciting than COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT 100% ALL THE TIME COMBAT KILL EVERYTHING.

It's a thing called pacing.

Zeliard

The pacing in Darksiders 2 seems pretty solid. It would be silly if they overloaded it with combat, especially given how easy it tends to be, at least so far in my experience. I think there's a nice mixture between the various gameplay elements that keeps one from bogging down the others.

Games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, DMC3 etc are all combat because that's where the attraction lies, and they do it incredibly well. Darksiders 2 would be a poorer game if it tried to ape that, since that just isn't where its strengths lie relative to those.

And I find exploring and puzzles and traversal with fights here and there infinitely more engaging and exciting than COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT 100% ALL THE TIME COMBAT KILL EVERYTHING.

What you are talking about is preference not pacing. And even action games are not 100% action all the time because pacing is a fairly simple concept that most people do understand. Whether it works well or not is an entirely different issue.

Dude Abides

Banned
My 15ft HDMI cable and Xbox controller receiver arrive today, and I downloaded it from Steam last night, so tonight I will be firing this up. I saw some tearing straightaway in the intro when I made sure it could run, so I'm a bit concerned.

gunbo13

Each new puzzle is building on top of the one you solved previously.
Which is actually a pet-peeve of mine. You do all this stuff just to reach a damn ledge so Death can smack something down. Done properly, you would have this epic puzzle with some required thought and problem solving. Stuff like getting all the crystals to align bouncing the light, etc... In DS2 it's like do 20 door puzzles, to activate some water event, so you can reach a ledge to complete that "epic" puzzle. Oh and you also get thrown a crappy boss here and there.

There is no way the puzzles aren't repetitive and the platforming is on the snooze button. It's an absolute chore and the environments aren't mystical enough for you to have blinders.

Oh my... This game has anything but proper pacing. 1% narrative exposure, dungeon hoping galore. Platforming is constantly the same thing over and over. The entire "challenge" is finding the wood textures. Then it's just auto-platform after rotating the camera. And puzzles variety? Roll ball, get golem, make chain, flip switch, throw explosive, repeat repeat repeat.
Games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, DMC3 etc are all combat because that's where the attraction lies, and they do it incredibly well. Darksiders 2 would be a poorer game if it tried to ape that, since that just isn't where its strengths lie relative to those.
That's not true. The trinity games also have adventuring elements, side-questing, platforming, and puzzles. It just so happens that the combat is ridiculously well done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Which is actually a pet-peeve of mine. You do all this stuff just to reach a damn ledge so Death can smack something down. Done properly, you would have this epic puzzle with some required thought and problem solving. Stuff like getting all the crystals to align bouncing the light, etc... In DS2 it's like do 20 door puzzles, to activate some water event, so you can reach a ledge to complete that "epic" puzzle. Oh and you also get thrown a crappy boss here and there.

There is no way the puzzles aren't repetitive and the platforming is on the snooze button. It's an absolute chore and the environments aren't mystical enough for you to have blinders.

Oh my... This game has anything but proper pacing. 1% narrative exposure, dungeon hoping galore. Platforming is constantly the same thing over and over. The entire "challenge" is finding the wood textures. Then it's just auto-platform after rotating the camera. And puzzles variety? Roll ball, get golem, make chain, flip switch, throw explosive, repeat repeat repeat.

You should probably play past the first world before talking about puzzle variety.

gunbo13

And everything else is poorly done.
Poorly done? The platforming in DMC, sure. But if you think things like Bayonetta secret missions, scaling the tower in DMC3, and platforming on burning rooftops in NG are poorly done, you have an interesting set of standards.

I tried getting up those cubes in DMC3 without Trickstar. Fucked up on the last one and fell all the way down.

The rage, my friends. Like you wouldn't believe.

Zeliard

What you are talking about is preference not pacing. And even action games are not 100% action all the time because pacing is a fairly simple concept that most people do understand. Whether it works well or not is an entirely different issue.

What do you call interspersing spikes of combat excitement with more laid-back platforming and puzzle-solving sections if not pacing? If you feel there isn't enough of one as opposed to the other, then your problem lies with just that - the pacing. Likewise if you feel it does it well, then you think the game is well-paced.

That's not true. The trinity games also have adventuring elements, side-questing, platforming, and puzzles. It just so happens that the combat is ridiculously well done.

People play those games for the combat; that's where the designers spent a large part of their efforts, that's where they shine, and that's where 95% of the gameplay lies. I don't know about you, but fond memories of Ninja Gaiden Black for me don't lie in its "adventuring elements" where you traipse around a nondescript hub looking for the next group to kill. Those games are masters of third-person combat, while a game like Darksiders attempts to be more of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.

It doesn't have the best combat, puzzle-solving, exploration, or certainly platforming you'll find, but it's a rare enough game that attempts all of these things in equal measure and is decently successful at offering up a varied gameplay experience where a single gameplay type doesn't dominate the others.

And that's what people mean when they say the game is well-paced - not that any individual gameplay element is particularly extraordinary, but that the game serves them each up at a clip that doesn't have one bogging down the others.

curttard

Banned
Screenshots give me kind of a Soul Reaver vibe. If SR is my all-time favorite game, will I like this? I hate God of War and other button-mashers, and don't like having to fight constantly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So we are going with the FF13 argument now? How about not making the first dozen hours repetitive instead of going with the carrot on a stick approach.

Dozen? You can clear the first world in about 6-7 hours the first time you play it unless you take the time to do everything. But if you don't care about everything in the game why do everything?

I can certainly say dmc4 and 3 are not as fun from the start of the game til at least the mid point for 3 and only after you unlock nero's arsenal in 4

Dahbomb

The side questing, adventuring aspects, puzzle solving and platforming in the holy trinity of action games is garbage or almost non existent compared to DS2.

You are never going to see me talk about dice puzzles, align the lasers, tower revolving, swimming under water missions and platform bouncing/revolving cubes secret missions in a dmc game.

malfcn

Not sure if this is a bug or what?
But I found a piece of a Construct. It says press B to activate, but it does nothing. I think it is my last piece of Oran.

And I can never seem to do the forward evade + scythes/secondary.

I was 20+ hours into the game when I decided to play the game at my friends house, this is on the Xbox version so I just downloaded my account on his Xbox and I had uploaded my game saves to their cloud storage memory card. I played the game advanced a little further and then stopped. When I went home later on, I downloaded the cloud saves to my Xbox hard drive and overwrote the other saves that were older. When I go on to continue my save files were corrupt. I'm so pissed. Anybody have a solution to this?

gunbo13

What do you call interspersing spikes of combat excitement with more laid-back platforming and puzzle-solving sections if not pacing? If you feel there isn't enough of one as opposed to the other, then your problem lies with just that - the pacing. Likewise if you feel it does it well, then you think the game is well-paced.
The balance is completely messed up. I'll spend 20 seconds on a mob fight, then 20 minutes running around doing errands, then a short narrative, then pointed to the next dungeon. We need fire, we need water, we need stone...ugh. It's all over the place and the puzzles/platforming are not laid-back, they're gray quests.
People play those games for the combat; that's where the designers spent a large part of their efforts, that's where they shine, and that's where 95% of the gameplay lies.
I play those games because they are good games, not just for the combat. 95% of the gameplay is NOT fighting, especially in DMC. It's typically a balance of puzzles, adventuring, back-tracking (unfortunately at times), boss fights, and mob fights. God of War uses a similar balance. Just because the combat is the "highlight" that doesn't mean that's all there is to the games.
Those games are masters of third-person combat, while a game like Darksiders attempts to be more of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.
A jack-of-all-trades is great as long as all the talent wares are balanced in quality. I tip my hat to the combat and RPG aspects. The rest is generic and forgettable.
And that's what people mean when they say the game is well-paced - not that any individual gameplay element is particularly extraordinary, but that the game serves them each up at a clip that doesn't have one bogging down the others.
That's not what pacing is.
Dozen? You can clear the first world in about 6-7 hours the first time you play it unless you take the time to do everything. But if you don't care about everything in the game why do everything?
I'm just playing the game, going to the icons, and getting the chests. I'm not dying or anything. I'm not sure how else to play it. I'd have to check my play-time but I've been playing quite a bit.
I can certainly say dmc4 and 3 are not as fun from the start of the game til at least the mid point for 3 and only after you unlock nero's arsenal in 4
DMC3 has the best start to an action game unless you prefer more cinematic flair in GoW.
The side questing, adventuring aspects, puzzle solving and platforming in the holy trinity of action games is garbage or almost non existent compared to DS2.

You are never going to see me talk about dice puzzles, align the lasers, tower revolving, swimming under water missions and platform bouncing/revolving cubes secret missions in a dmc game.
Give me a break. I never praise most of those aspects but calling them garbage? So what, you play DMC and hate everything except the combat? Your trying to hard to glam this game, now turning to attack mode. I'm looking at DS2 and that's what I'm writing about. Let's keep the bias in check and not get lost in tangents again either.

I was 20+ hours into the game when I decided to play the game at my friends house, this is on the Xbox version so I just downloaded my account on his Xbox and I had uploaded my game saves to their cloud storage memory card. I played the game advanced a little further and then stopped. When I went home later on, I downloaded the cloud saves to my Xbox hard drive and overwrote the other saves that were older. When I go on to continue my save files were corrupt. I'm so pissed. Anybody have a solution to this?

Start the journey all over.

People play those games for the combat; that's where the designers spent a large part of their efforts, that's where they shine, and that's where 95% of the gameplay lies. I don't know about you, but fond memories of Ninja Gaiden Black for me don't lie in its "adventuring elements" where you traipse around a nondescript hub looking for the next group to kill. Those games are masters of third-person combat, while a game like Darksiders attempts to be more of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.

It doesn't have the best combat, puzzle-solving, exploration, or certainly platforming you'll find, but it's a rare enough game that attempts all of these things in equal measure and is decently successful at offering up a varied gameplay experience where a single gameplay type doesn't dominate the others.

A blending of game mechanics and pacing aren't exactly the same thing. A game that is pure action and without any puzzles and minimal exploration elements can still be well paced. Pacing is making sure the player has an enjoyable experience the whole time they are playing the game by controlling various aspects of it. So that means making sure they don't get tired of whatever they are doing, that they want to progress forward, that they don't find the game overwhelming for some reason or another, so that they don't get stuck on a single section for too long. That is pacing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
About to start this. I hear normal's way too easy, so Apocalyptic is calling. Does this have the right amount of challenge, or is too hard for a first playthrough/too frustrating? I remember going normal => NG+ Apol. in DS1, but I'm not sure I'll be playing through this twice.

Top Bottom