• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Zeliard

Mostly the endless fetch quests and non existent story. I just got yet another collect 3 things fetch sub quest while on a collect 3 things fetch quest for my main goal.

I know I sound like a broken record about this stuff but they literally just keep coming.

Yeah it's a shame that the writing is so by-the-numbers fantasy fluff. Corruption this and that, go retrieve my Helm of Ravishing Might, go seek out the one who shall guide you, etc. It's hard to really care. Why can so few of the devs in this industry find competent writers? In this case they've got a visually striking game with enjoyable gameplay systems but can't wrap an even moderately engaging story around them. It feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Despite that I'm still having a lot of fun with it. The dungeons and puzzles are solid if not particularly brain-racking, and the combat system is surprisingly robust if you sink your teeth into it. It's responsive, packs a nice punch, and has more depth and variety than I expected with the loot and upgrade mechanics, as well as some of the combos you can pull off. The major issue with it so far is it's too easy even on Apocalyptic. Hopefully it amps up later on.

And the game is often quite beautiful to look at, both in and out of combat, even with the embarrassing dearth of graphics options on the PC (forcing ambient occlusion and AA works wonders).

I too am in love with the Scythes-Fast weapon combo; this is my secondary weapon :)
Heal steal 95% is really overpowered.

H9Si9.png

Health steal 95%, lmao. That must take the fun out of combat entirely. :p I'd go out of my way to avoid creating a weapon like that, unless it was to sell it.

ced

7 hrs in and I really hate that auto camera.

I'm also noticing input problems with my attack buttons on the 360 version.

Maffis

Wtf 95% health steal. Still, it's cool you can create OP weapons like that. It is just a SP game after all, but I do wonder what the point of leaderboards are and how they will be affected.

Where the hell are you guys getting these Health Steal weapons? I haven't gotten a single one.

Same, only seen health on crit so far.

Also, combat is too easy. Enemies stagger too much. Just spam hit everything around you and they never have chance to strike. I honestly think they should've made it more like DS1 where most enemies never staggered because the new evade system compliments enemies that don't stagger.

Where the hell are you guys getting these Health Steal weapons? I haven't gotten a single one.

I'm lvl 25, found 1 on a drop and found 2 at an NPC, I've been just recycling my old weapons to keep the health steal. I think Health/Wrath Steal are probably the rarest conditions on a weapon

Dahbomb

Health steal is very rare, I have only gotten 2 weapons with them (none with Wrath steal) and both under 20% steal. I am saving them for the big time end game LVL30 possessed weapon.

The Angel of Death scythe that is available as a DLC/preorder bonus also has some life steal.

Behold, my first contribution to the DS2 community:

Darksiders 2: Sweet Spots and Just Frames

Only 1 weapon covered and only the just frames that I have been able to perform/know of yet. If anyone has an extra insight on to the properties of "Sweet spots" or some other just frame follow ups please let me know.

malfcn

So now I need to read a guide on Possessed Weapons. I had a lvl 4 that was like 10 times better than a lvl 7 possessed weapon. I know you can feed them to each other and leveling up gets enhancements..but it seemed weird. As an experiment I fed the better lower one to the higher level worse one and leveled it up into something that was still shitty.

MMaRsu

Just bought this in the eu but fucking online codes..i am without internet right now..so what i should just skip the crucible? Can i use my 3g internet from my phone as some sort of access point?is it an unlock code or some real mbs?
Thats what i need to know!

KevinCow

Banned
All I get is Gilt Found +% on everything.

Stop it! I don't need anymore Gilt! I ALREADY HAVE ALL THE GILT!

Also, playing through a second time on NG+, I like how I'm finding little things I completely missed earlier because I have a better idea of what to look for now.

Zoibie

UK release tomorrow. My copy has already been posted.

VERY EXCITING.

I'm still surprised it's a Tuesday release, but hey, I'm not complaining. Hope my copy from GMG gets here tomorrow, was a bit wary ordering a physical copy from a download focused site but it's worth it for £10 off.

Zeliard

Everyone bought a copy.

Everyone in the world.

They made so much money that Darksiders 3 is coming out next week.

And it's going to be free, just because.

Maybe that means that can hire some writers!

hyuk hyuk

I like how sardonic Death is, and that he's on a quest to resurrect life is amusingly ironic for a few minutes, but that's about it. Wish there was more to it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's not good. That's not good at all. And it's not the EU sales that will save it.

Well sleeping dogs is more mainstream plus I believe the pc version was less of a port job than ds2 was so it's not too shocking. As you can see from the sells spike on the weekend that a majority of people probably used feedback from others to decide on what to buy as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's still not good. At all. Let's hope the consoles versions sells better, because if the PC sales are any indication, Darksiders III won't happen.

That's not good. That's not good at all. And it's not the EU sales that will save it.

Darksiders is more suitable for consoles I think, so many people with powerful PCs get it for their console anyways (like me).

@Topic:

Wow, so much negativity for this game. I am 13 hours in and still enjoy it very much. I love the combat, love the Platforming, love the Loot, like the Story (I like these badass characters, enough for me), everything is how I wanted it.

The ONLY "negative" thing is, like many mentioned, the number 3 is a bit too magical in this game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there some site that tracks achievement/trophy usages?

Someone needs to compare how many people reached 1st achievement for DS2 and SD on consoles.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Darksiders is more suitable for consoles I think, so many people with powerful PCs get it for their console anyways (like me).

@Topic:

Wow, so much negativity for this game. I am 13 hours in and still enjoy it very much. I love the combat, love the Platforming, love the Loot, like the Story (I like these badass characters, enough for me), everything is how I wanted it.

The ONLY "negative" thing is, like many mentioned, the number 3 is a bit too magical in this game.

Yup game is very well video game. Very very very enjoyable :3 I have a shit ton of hours on it already haha. I agree on the number 3 thing being a little ridiculous, I really wish it was single goals most of the time with the single dungeon as long as those 3 *maybe a bit shorter* It's way way more rewarding that way.

DieH@rd

Banned
I see that SD broke few records in UK. 1st spot, 5th best launch this year in UK, and it managed to beat new Super Mario game.

Le Impressive.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I see that SD broke few records in UK. 1st spot, 5th best launch this year in UK, and it manage to beat new Super Mario game.

Le Impressive.

Publishers should take note, people like playing games year round, not just Oct-January.

I'm about 17 hours in.

This is my GOTY so far, as was Darksiders 1.

To me this is the embodiment of what a AAA video game should be. Adventurous. Action. Gorgeous. Lengthy.

sephi22

I too am in love with the Scythes-Fast weapon combo; this is my secondary weapon :)
Heal steal 95% is really overpowered.

H9Si9.png

O-O

Are you on PS3? Give me that weapon. I want it.

Health steal is very rare, I have only gotten 2 weapons with them (none with Wrath steal) and both under 20% steal. I am saving them for the big time end game LVL30 possessed weapon.

I am willing to exchange 1 health steal weapon with my 18% wrath steal possessed scythes. PSN: sephi22

Anybody? Purty please.

Top Bottom