• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm in world 2. Now what? Just went to the first spot after tree of life.

Check the serpent tome thingy, you should have an invite to it.

Flip saw is op as fuck with arcane. It's dps output is stupidly fucking high due to how damn well elemental damage scales and each hit of it applying it.

Learning how to style with necro build has been fun as fuck though.

Tragic is there a list of what exactly each of the elemental arch types do? Because there is two for each. I'm just assuming one of the two elements is a stronger version of the other.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I wanted to start over über powerful and just beast through it on normal, but if enemies become damage sponges early on it will just be a grind since I know what to expect.

This is the sort of NG+ I prefer, actually. Compare it to Dragon's Dogma that let you carry over your level and gear, but left the enemies the same. You might think you'd enjoy plowing through the game, but it gets really old after a few hours.

This is the sort of NG+ I prefer, actually. Compare it to Dragon's Dogma that let you carry over your level and gear, but left the enemies the same. You might think you'd enjoy plowing through the game, but it gets really old after a few hours.

Yep, one of my gripes with DD.

This game does scaling pretty well.

Mikeside

OK, this just unlocked for me on Steam. What's up with the super low resolution icons and Death in the menu? Is this a known issue or is it just me? Any fix?

They don't scale to your level. There is a formula that determines what level they should be based on the level they were previously set at (in normal game).

That formula should have upped the levels some more cause I am just laying waste to everything. So for the most part the enemies are the same, maybe they become elemental but its not like you add bosses where regular enemies used to be right?

Well the only reason I'll go through it again is to level up to 30 and 100% the game. I don't need difficult enemies since I already know the end game. Plus there's still the Crucible for a challenge.

tragic

Developer
That formula should have upped the levels some more cause I am just laying waste to everything. So for the most part the enemies are the same, maybe they become elemental but its not like you add bosses where regular enemies used to be right?

Yeah, this is entirely based on your gear. The more hardcore and dedicated you are to gear management, the more you are going to plow through enemies. You can always try Apocalyptic. If that's where you already are, then your gear is just too boss!

Yeah, we don't really add mini-bosses to where normal enemies were. We are definitely doing that for our DLC. Some people may play it at level 2 or 3, while others might play it at 30.

Monocle

Whenever I see that post I get sad because there are a couple of things I haven't replicated yet.

Like the air XX melee YYYY into X into just frame. There are still things I don't get in the combat. Still haven't figured how to just frame the list hit of a scythe basic combo.
Here's a little nugget for you. With the armblades you can shoot an instant just frame projectile and immediately cancel the recovery into a wrath move. I prefer Teleport Slash.

The inputs are Jump ~ Dodge : Secondary Attack > Wrath Attack

You know this notation, but for others ~ is the fastest possible input, : indicates just frame timing, and > is a cancel.

The timing for the first part is a bit weird because if you try to Meteor Strike too quickly Death will just dodge. You have to give him a fraction of a second to leave the ground before you snap him down with Meteor Strike, but if you do it correctly Death goes directly into his recovery animation where you can fire off the just frame. At the correct distance, Teleport Slash can actually catch up with the projectile so both hit the enemy simultaneously.

If this has already been discussed, I am sorry. But what is the consensus on which version is better performance-wise between the PS3 and 360?

Both versions are pretty much equal. PS3 and 360 users have reported frame rate dips and screen tearing. Go with the version where you prefer the controller and Achievements/Trophies thing.

Dahbomb

I am already aware of Teleport Slashes property to basically cancel anything but that idea of plinking a jump into a meteor smash jf to remove recovery frames is very interesting. Would be useful for a Mace too.

16 hours and got the
first dread lord
. Am I halfway yet?
Yeah round about, maybe even a bit over half.

Hobbun

Both versions are pretty much equal. PS3 and 360 users have reported frame rate dips and screen tearing. Go with the version where you prefer the controller and Achievements/Trophies thing.

Ok, thank you. PS3 version it is.

And I hope the issues you stated aren't too serious, especially the frame rate drops, as that is something I am much more sensitive on. But if the issues are relatively bad, I do hope a patch is released for them down the road.

Yeah, this is entirely based on your gear. The more hardcore and dedicated you are to gear management, the more you are going to plow through enemies. You can always try Apocalyptic. If that's where you already are, then your gear is just too boss!

Yeah, we don't really add mini-bosses to where normal enemies were. We are definitely doing that for our DLC. Some people may play it at level 2 or 3, while others might play it at 30.

Ok cool. I think the crucible spoiled me, fighting 3 bosses at once is amazing. That mode showcases the combat so incredibly well, I love it.

Well for new game + I think I am going to try out an all arcane build just for the hell of it. A nice change of pace to mix things up. It is so easy to switch up classes and stats, in terms of customization in an action game I don't think I have seen a game that does it so well with it being so easy to switch up.

Maffis

And I hope the issues you stated aren't too serious, especially the frame rate drops, as that is something I am much more sensitive on. But if the issues are relatively bad, I do hope a patch is released for them down the road.

Expect dips on the big open areas.

Zeth

I want to learn about this just-frame stuff and really dive into the combat. When do I unlock the crucible? I just arrived at the
Pyschameron
but I don't think I've heard anything about it story-wise.

Dahbomb

I want to learn about this just-frame stuff and really dive into the combat. When do I unlock the crucible? I just arrived at the
Pyschameron
but I don't think I've heard anything about it story-wise.
Go to your serpent tomb.

Right now just frames are only really good for two things: Styling and piling on damage after particular hits when you have incapacitated some of the enemies. Its not something you want to use all the time but mastering it is part of being a complete player.

There are still a lot of nuances that have to be figured out about the combat.

Just finished the game. Was an enjoyable experience, but felt waaay too fluffed and long just for the sake of being long.

Also, this game has an obsession of doing things in 3.

Man, crucible wasn't too bad until the 51st wave, now its getting insane.

I want that last piece of abyssal but its going to take a lot of work to get there.

14 hours on PS3 and I have no major complaints. The game froze up on me once in my playthrough and I've experienced minor screen tearing in big open areas. The frame rate holds up surprisingly well in hectic fights, even with 3 summoned ghouls and crows going crazy on screen against mobs of enemies.

Getting a new item always drives me crazy.

Because I remember all the times in the past that I've noted that I'll need that item, and now I can't remember where any of them are!

Mikeside

IS THE GAME LIVE IN EU? :D

Yeah, I'm playing in UK

So again, is there nothing I can do about the crazy low resolution item icons and Death in the back button menu on PC? It's really off-putting

I'm also getting a lot of audio stuttering.

Loving the game other than these issues :)

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Tragic, you said you guys didn't cut anything significant from the game... May I suggest you cut the
Shooting Gallery from the next game? It didn't fit and wasn't fun in the first game and it's not better in the second one... I only have 2/10 angels rescued right now and I REALLY hope that I will get to a room soon where there's 8 angels lined up on a wall cause I don't want to have only 20% of that section done...ugh.

Monocle

Wow at
Earth. It's nothing but one long clusterfuck of a shooting gallery.
Worst dungeon ever. Not even a little fun if you're playing on Apocalyptic.

And to think I'm going to have to return later to pick up whatever collectables I missed the first time through. I am not pleased. I don't even want to think about doing it all over for New Game +. Sigh.

Hey Tragic, you said you guys didn't cut anything significant from the game... May I suggest you cut the
Shooting Gallery from the next game? It didn't fit and wasn't fun in the first game and it's not better in the second one... I only have 2/10 angels rescued right now and I REALLY hope that I will get to a room soon where there's 8 angels lined up on a wall cause I don't want to have only 20% of that section done...ugh.
Testify, motherfucker. This this this.

burgerdog

Is it possible to beat the crucible at lv22? I'm wondering if the 80+ waves have lv30 enemies and I don't want to waste my time on it if I'm just going to get stuck due to their level.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know it's possible to do
Earth
without the guns, right? (Maybe not the tall enemies that shits other enemies, but aside from them, it's possible.)

Megasoum

Banned
You know it's possible to do
Earth
without the guns, right? (Maybe not the tall enemies that shits other enemies, but aside from them, it's possible.)

Yes I know but it's faster with the guns... and my only goal right now is to get the hell out of there ASAP. Anyway, guns or not it still waves after wave of mindless enemies. Nothing fun in there.

I'm really enjoying this game, but I just fell through the world and died for the second time...this time I was on the fifth level of the Soul Arbiter's maze. Is this totally random or is there some way I can lessen the likelihood of this occurring?

Mikeside

I've also noticed that the sound effects from performing assassinations seem very quiet compared to the rest of the sound.

I can't find anything by Googling the problem - same with the low resolution items and the stuttering. Is nobody else experiencing these issues?

Is it possible to beat the crucible at lv22? I'm wondering if the 80+ waves have lv30 enemies and I don't want to waste my time on it if I'm just going to get stuck due to their level.

Wait until level 25 so you can try it in one go with all waves unlocked.

I've also noticed that the sound effects from performing assassinations seem very quiet compared to the rest of the sound.

I can't find anything by Googling the problem - same with the low resolution items and the stuttering. Is nobody else experiencing these issues?

I'm having sound issues on PS3 as well. The combat sound effects are incredibly quiet at times.

Megasoum

Banned

No sound problem except for one specific cutscene where the mix was fucked and couldn't hear the speach cause the music was too loud. Only happened once tho.

And yeah everybody has super low res death in the inventory menu (if this is what you are talking about). It's ridiculous.

Megasoum

Banned
How come there's a bunch of allgedly sacrificable items that the game won't let me actually sacrifice?

Are those items lower than the third line in your sacrifice list? The game will only let you sacrifice stuff in the first three lines. So if you have to scroll to see the item you can't do anything. Yay for shittiest QA in the world... You'll have to drop other items to access the ones you want to sacrifice and then pick everything back up from the ground.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Are those items lower than the third line in your sacrifice list? The game will only let you sacrifice stuff in the first three lines. So if you have to scroll to see the item you can't do anything. Yay for shittiest QA in the world... You'll have to drop other items to access the ones you want to sacrifice and then pick everything back up from the ground.

WHAT!?

Jesus Christ, Vigil.

jett

D-Member

...hahahahahahaaahah omg are you serious? good lawd

Megasoum

Banned
It's getting better and better!
Now that I've given Uriel the second piece of the rod I can't go through the passage behind here, I get an invisible collision....

Top Bottom