• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Megasoum

Banned
Try restarting the game. Yeah I know, it sucks.

Yeah that fixed it... Second time now that I have to reload from previous save to continue my game because I get a playthrough stopper (first time was the end of world 2 boss that lost all scripting and AI halfway through the fight and I couldn't do anything....)

george_us

Wow the
Earth section
is the most abrupt change in gameplay I've ever seen in a game. It's straight up a wholesale change akin to a puzzle game becoming a platformer. Ok maybe not that drastic but it's pretty damn drastic.

Mikeside

Wow, Vigil

I so want you to do well, I so want to love this game, but you need to fix this crap.
These sort of launch problems just sour people and stop them from recommending the game to friends.

Here's to hoping for some quick patching.

tragic

Developer
Hey Tragic, you said you guys didn't cut anything significant from the game... May I suggest you cut the
Shooting Gallery from the next game? It didn't fit and wasn't fun in the first game and it's not better in the second one... I only have 2/10 angels rescued right now and I REALLY hope that I will get to a room soon where there's 8 angels lined up on a wall cause I don't want to have only 20% of that section done...ugh.

I don't make those decisions, but believe me when I say that all of us are keeping a close eye on fan feedback. Likes, Dislikes, and everything in between.

Wow at
Earth. It's nothing but one long clusterfuck of a shooting gallery.
Worst dungeon ever. Not even a little fun if you're playing on Apocalyptic.

Personally speaking, I found Earth to be crazy fun on Apocalyptic. But, that's because I have been working on melee combat for like, you know, the entire project. I can totally understand how some people aren't into it.

Is it possible to beat the crucible at lv22? I'm wondering if the 80+ waves have lv30 enemies and I don't want to waste my time on it if I'm just going to get stuck due to their level.

We had little competitions internally to see who could get the furthers with a specific set of gear (no possessed, usually a few blues, a few purples, no legendaries). I made a debug save at level 15 and level 30 to see how far people could get. A few people made it through at 30 (obviously!), and this was still completely undergeared. The real challenge was the level 15 run. Some people made it up into the 80's (perhaps 83 or 84 or so). There's no doubt that with the right gear, the right wrath moves, decent combat and enemy experience, and eye of the tiger, you could do it at 20ish.

Wow, Vigil

I so want you to do well, I so want to love this game, but you need to fix this crap.
These sort of launch problems just sour people and stop them from recommending the game to friends.

Here's to hoping for some quick patching.

I don't disagree at all.

We are definitely working on it, hardcore!

Hey tragic, are you guys looking into patching all versions? And is there anyway you could maybe suggest an optional install feature for the PS3? I think it'd really help.

tragic

Developer
awesome thank you remember the PC guys :p

As I mentioned before, I'm definitely not a tech guy, but I have been scouring forums (this thread, GF, official forum), compiled as many of the most well-known issues (as well as little annoyances), and put them in a list. I know the most important things that are being looked at are anything that blocks progression. However, some of the minor things could turn out to be super easy. It's just a matter of focus and time. I'm definitely doing my best as far as my position will allow (and HDN is on the case as well).

burgerdog

Are those items lower than the third line in your sacrifice list? The game will only let you sacrifice stuff in the first three lines. So if you have to scroll to see the item you can't do anything. Yay for shittiest QA in the world... You'll have to drop other items to access the ones you want to sacrifice and then pick everything back up from the ground.

On the PC you can double click those items with the left mouse button and you can sacrifice them. This works even if you're using a controller, you don't have to exit and switch inputs.

Monocle

Sweet, I finish
Earth
and when I teleport back to
Lostlight I see a griffin thing in front of me that I can't interact with, and the angel
dude is totally unresponsive. I'm hoping a reset will solve this. If not...

OMFG, I did a full reset and everything was still the same. I tried to fast travel and it was disabled. I tried to jump off
the tower
and I got the environmental death animation. Then, as I started back up to the guy, the cutscene finally engaged. The whole time I was trying to get the scene to activate, the entire sky flickered black at random intervals. Same during the
griffin riding sequence
. I swear I would have beat myself to death with my own rage engorged knob if I'd run into a game breaking glitch this bloody late in the campaign.

This reminds me of the time I had to bring
those three ghosts back to the Dead King
and huge pieces of dialogue were gone as the scene played out, no subtitles or anything, and all I could hear was the ambient sound of the environment. I fixed it with a reset but even then the scene transitions were awkward, so I suspect I missed parts of them. At some point I'll check a playthrough on YouTube to see if I'm right.

Something similar happened at the end of the
City of the Dead
, after I beat
Baby Cthulhu
—cool boss, by the way—and tried to speak to
the Crowfather.
. The music from the fight was still blasting, the dialogue was barely audible, chunks of it were missing, and the transitions were awkward.

I'm playing the 360 version installed, if it matters.

Darksiders 2 needed a lot more QA time. Right now Vigil should be falling all over themselves to prepare a thorough patch. I love most aspects of this game but I emphatically do not love being threatened with 32 hours of playing time flushed down the toilet due to glitches that should never, ever be present in a complete title.

burgerdog

It sucks that the game shipped with so many bugs, no doubt about that. I just don't want to blame Vigil for the state in which they released the game. I doubt they said: let's pack this shit up and go home. THQ probably pushed them to release it before it was ready, and doesn't the publisher usually handle QA?

While not a bug, the most hilarious "This is clearly rushed" indication to me is the map UI telling you that A zooms out to the world map while the actual button is clicking in the left stick.

I figured I'd post this, a regular of ours came in to pick up her pre-order and was SUPER excited for Darksiders II. She is quite the gamer, talking about her archmage in Skyrim and how she is loving Dawnguard lol. 70 years old and gaming like all of us, she is a doll!

640653935.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
The place I used to work for sometimes did THQ games, but as far as I know, we never worked on Darksiders II (otherwise I would have asked to be put on it in seconds.)

Derrick01

Banned
I think I dislike
Earth
more than the first 2 worlds so far.

It's more linear but it has it's own special kind of padding. Stopping me every 20 seconds with waves of fodder enemies is really pissing me off now

Monocle

Hey Tragic, didn't you say there are scythe just frames? Feel like sharing one? I'm playing around in the Crucible and no luck so far.

Zeliard

While not a bug, the most hilarious "This is clearly rushed" indication to me is the map UI telling you that A zooms out to the world map while the actual button is clicking in the left stick.

Hilarious and annoying in equal parts. When the first tooltip showed up in the dungeon for that I spent a few minutes wondering why the hell I wasn't able to access the world map.

Hilarious and annoying in equal parts. When the first tooltip showed up in the dungeon for that I spent a few minutes wondering why the hell I wasn't able to access the world map.

Yeah, same for me. Except I walked out until I got somewhere that defaulted to the world map.

Wasn't until the end of Drenchfort that I figured it out.

I finished the first two main dungeons and I am having a lot of fun till now. First at all I love how different Death plays compared to War. The two dungeon were pretty neat and the one side dungeon was a lot of fun too. Cannot wait to continue my playthrough.

are we talking about bugs? well this is not really a bug, but in my Asian copy of Darksiders on PS3, when you press down to bring up the radial menu for your power and gear, it said press O to use them and X to go back, well, it should be X to use them and pressing O to exit.

it's kinda common to have those X,O reversed in region 3 games, Red Dead got it so bad that you can't really play some card mini games and stuff (thankfully they fix it in a patch eventually). Just Cause 2 demo also had it pretty bad if I remember correctly.

the one in DS2 is not a big deal really since it only happen in that radial menu.

I rather wish legendary items and normal weapon can be customized too for a bit than simply sacrificing it and never look at that cool weapon again.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Do not worry, Derrick, the
portal
puzzles in the
Ivory Citadel
and
The Black Stone
are far better than the Black Throne.

There's no redirect the beams.

Dahbomb

Nothing wrong with the Portal Gun in general (and if you had been paying attention there were portal marks all over even the early stages). It's just that the puzzle designs in DS1 with the Portal maker were really over the top.

Help me think of a cool name for these Possessed Double Scythes I just got:

Execution Chance - 21%
Health Per Kill - 70
Health on Critical - 30
Health on Execute - 197

A life stealer of sorts.

Monocle

Is it just me, or are the final skills not that awesome? I tried both and now I'm wondering if my two points would be better spent on Call of the Grave, since there's an obvious benefit to extending Unstoppable's time limit. Or maybe I could get lvl 1 Harvest and Reaping.

Has anyone found either of the final skills useful?

Help me think of a cool name for these Possessed Double Scythes I just got:

Execution Chance - 21%
Health Per Kill - 70
Health on Critical - 30
Health on Execute - 197

A life stealer of sorts.

Terminus Est.

Terminus Est is commonly translated from the Latin as "This is the end", or literally "It is the end." It can also mean "this is the limit", "this is an end" (due to the lack of the definite article), or "this is the border".

Top Bottom