• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

I'm really loving Darksiders 2, but Sleeping Dogs got a vicious hold of me for the past week or so. Game is really easy to make funny videos out of =) Darksiders II on the other hand, is kinda difficult for vids.

Anyways, when can I access the crucible? I'm on
the second world, on the 2nd undead king
and would like to mess around in that.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Health steal. It STEALS HEALTH.

What the hell else could you have thought it did??

I actually completely ignored the stat first time round and discarded a perfectly good weapon because i didn't notice. Yes, nooby, haha.

Thankfully, i found one in
the Arbirter's Maze

Dahbomb

Was I supposed to get a special talisman from the first death tomb? Cause I got nothing and Volgrim doesn't sell legendary crests(PS3)
It's behind a statue, you have to pull it.

Crucible is unlocked as soon as you unlock the 2nd world, just check your serpent tome.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Got to Wave 62 of the Crucible before getting killed because my health drained faster than I could react.

Don't know what the hell happened.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Got to Wave 62 of the Crucible before getting killed because my health drained faster than I could react.

Don't know what the hell happened.

It really does ramp up from 60 doesn't it? Those super corrupted Angels can be a pain in the rear end.

It's behind a statue, you have to pull it.

Crucible is unlocked as soon as you unlock the 2nd world, just check your serpent tome.

I did get something from behind the statue, but it said something about markers on the map and volgrim. I don't have any new talisman. Are we supposed to be able to get the legendary chest from volgrim?

Gbraga

I'm in the middle of world 2 and kind of disappointed.

The two main additions (big overworld and loot) do not add anything to the game. They are not bad, but they are just... there.
I use fast travel all the time. So I just traversed each area once and so what? Pointless. And being not a very impressive game visually,even that one time is boring.

Battle system WTF. I cannot tell what is happening.

Some serious pacing issues. Basically I'm like "not another battle", "not another dungeon" all the time.

DS1 is better in every aspect. Still in my top 5 this gen.

Oh come on son, it's ok to like Darksiders 1 better than this one, but "every aspect"? You do realise that this includes the combat, right?

Dahbomb

I did get something from behind the statue, but it said something about markers on the map and volgrim. I don't have any new talisman. Are we supposed to be able to get the legendary chest from volgrim?
Legendary chests only seem to be available on the PC version at the moment.

You can try looking at a YouTube video but that room gives you the Blademaster talisman, IMO it's not that useful.

The fast travel thing is a good example of something being really convenient but actually kind of harming the game in a way.

I have no idea if I am missing shit by not actually traveling there! But damned if I'm going to stop fast traveling.

Gbraga

I don't like fast traveling just because I want to fight as many enemies as I can lol

I didn't even use it much in Skyrim, so you get the idea.

JohngPR

You mean links? Not really but both have input windows. You only have a certain number of frames after your first attack on a link before the next will fail to register; that applying to a combo. Just frames are single inputs within that window, often times stricter relying on visual cues. However, there are 1 frame links in fighting games so it varies.

It's sort of like this where each X is a frame, 30 frames per second in this case.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And let's say you input an attack at the start of that duration and it lands in-between.

YXXXXXXXXXXXXYXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For a just-frame input, the developer will give you a window around that second landing "Y" to input a follow up button press. If you are successful, then that's a just frame input. It is up to them how evil they want to be in the number of frames. But let's say they give you 5 frames on a 30fps polling system.

YXXXXXXXXXXXXYZZZZZXXXXXXXXXXX

So if you hit that "Z" window, you are good to go! Of course, this is really simplified. The game can be coded on different polling, the frame rate could adapt to the input system, there can be lag, etc... But that's the basic idea.

Very cool, thanks for the explanation!

Megasoum

Banned
I've been running around
The Black Stone
and I don't have a single clue of what I'm doing... It's giving me a headache. I can't wait to be done with the game... Was amazing for a while but it's starting to overstay it's welcome.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I've been running around
The Black Stone
and I don't have a single clue of what I'm doing... It's giving me a headache. I can't wait to be done with the game... Was amazing for a while but it's starting to overstay it's welcome.

Seriously? I thought
Black Stone
was freaking short.

It has a sweet boss fight, though.

I'll give you a word of advice.

You can throw IT at each other.

Khezu

So just finished earth, a sequence that completely ruins any replay value this game might have had, as I would never in anyway ever force myself thought that again.

However when I went back to the place with that thing I had to get to give to that dude, hes not there anymore, and instead is a gryphon, and its phased through a wall and I can't interact with it.

I'm I done with this game?

Up until this part, its been pretty awesome. I don't think its better or worse then DS1, just kinda different.
Hopefully DS3 if it happens is more like DS1, but with DS2's combat and RPG fluff.

BY2K

Membero Americo
We should make a list of things that works and don't work/things we want back or not to send as feedback to Tragic and hdn.

I'm sure they'd take note.

Megasoum

Banned
Yay I'm done...

lol at the ending...

Great game overall but definitly lost its steam for me in the second half. The horrible
Earth
level completly killed the mood.

Looking at the credits, looks like the game was tested in Montréal. Too bad I don't know anybody at THQ that I could bug non stop on facebook or linkedin haha.

Btw, can somebody explain to me the "secret" ending after the credits? I don't get it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Haha, I like the return of the ostrich hammer and subtle GAF reference. Fun game so far! Soundtrack and environments are fantastic.

Apocalyptic seems a lot easier than it was in the first, which I welcome.

Dahbomb

We should make a list of things that works and don't work/things we want back or not to send as feedback to Tragic and hdn.

I'm sure they'd take note.
Yeah I have a ton of feedback to add and some bugs that I encountered. Just give me until tomorrow to type it all up.

-GJ-

Played the game for 8 hours at a friend's house last monday on the Xbox 360 and we didn't run into a single bug or glitch. I've only seen minor screentearing (and I'm talking about really minor screentearing), and no framerate issues. Everything was smooth (also while on Despair) and the framerate only dipped a little in certain battles. This was on a Xbox Slim btw. I'm getting the game tomorrow and I will try it out on my own old white Xbox, but until now I really don't understand what the fuss is all about tbh :/. Sounds to me like people are overreacting.

Did anyone ever figure out why Vulgrim doesn't sell Legacy boxes to some people? I have like 50 boatman coins and 400k and nothing to spend it on.

The Hermit

Loving this, never played the first though, I dunno why.

I though it was a Zelda clone (as the first is widely know about) but the RPGs level system and loot ( with better itemization than Diablo II... ¬¬ ) makes it much more interesting.

Played the game for 8 hours at a friend's house last monday on the Xbox 360 and we didn't run into a single bug or glitch. I've only seen minor screentearing (and I'm talking about really minor screentearing), and no framerate issues. Everything was smooth (also while on Despair) and the framerate only dipped a little in certain battles. This was on a Xbox Slim btw. I'm getting the game tomorrow and I will try it out on my own old white Xbox, but until now I really don't understand what the fuss is all about tbh :/. Sounds to me like people are overreacting.
I didn't have any glitches either until after 20 hours in, and now I can't even progress through a major part of the game.

And GAF never overreacts.

Care to elaborate?
I am at a point in the game where if I press the action button my PS3 freezes. I've heard of other people on both consoles having the same problem. I also have random instances where I can't drop an item from my inventory, or I'll fall through the level and die. The game is buggy alright.

Dahbomb

Ok for all those people who are plan on doing Nightmare mode...

I feel bad for them already if they end up dying towards the end in sort of lame Corruption pool. Most platform "deaths" aren't actual deaths, your reaper form just takes you back but if you fall in that pool it depletes your health very fast and kill you (so you get the kill screen).

If my understanding is right if you get that death screen it will delete your save in Nightmare mode. This is something that should be fixed IMO, stepping into that corruption should trigger the Reaper sequence or at least give you enough time to step out before instantly killing yourself.

-GJ-

I am at a point in the game where if I press the action button my PS3 freezes. I've heard of other people on both consoles having the same problem. I also have random instances where I can't drop an item from my inventory, or I'll fall through the level and die. The game is buggy alright.

That's terrible :/. One thing I don't like is that there's only one saveslot. DS1 offered multiple saveslots so I wanted to keep one as a backup, but now I can't do that. I hope they patch this mess sooner than later.

Ridley327

I got done with what I think was the last dungeon in the game (
The Black Stone
) and now I'm trying to hunt down everything that I missed for the collectible side quests.

Man, was that dungeon really short or what?

Dahbomb

My guess for no multiple saves is the existence of Nightmare mode. Would've been too easy to exploit the save system to beat Nightmare. Way to counter that would be that dying on Nightmare removes all saves that are on Nightmare mode.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I got done with what I think was the last dungeon in the game (
The Black Stone
) and now I'm trying to hunt down everything that I missed for the collectible side quests.

Man, was that dungeon really short or what?

Yes, yes it is.

I'd thought it be like 2 dungeons in one with the
phasewalker and time travel
, but guess I was wrong.

Cool boss fight, though. That one was a long time coming. And I'm sure it won't be the last one if the series continues.

burgerdog

Yes, yes it is.

, but guess I was wrong.

Cool boss fight, though. That one was a long time coming. And I'm sure it won't be the last one if the series continues.

That boss was way harder than the last boss. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Just beat it again on new game plus. I still need to wrap up all the side missions. One thing that bummed me out is that there a only three armor classes at max level. The armor you see mid lvl seems to disappear, like the cool wanderers cowl and necromancer cloak.

Btw, if anyone has some spare armor pieces from those sets, send them my way. I play on pc. Steam name : CelticKennedy

Ridley327

Yes, yes it is.

, but guess I was wrong.

Yeah, it definitely felt good to take on
Samael. He was teased so mercilessly in the first game, and I do suppose there is still a lot more to him since War did restore him to full strength.

Dahbomb

Just finished the game, 30 hour play time. A lot of side quests done as well but I intend to go back and do everything before venturing into ng+.

Full impressions coming tomorrow along with feedback. As far as the last portion of the game goes
I enjoyed it a lot after the Earth sequence. The portions were short but sweet, I definitely wanted way more of the angel and demon world. The 2nd and 3rd last boss fights were way more epic and challenging than the last one plus the story actually picked up. Teaser after the credits, sounds like Lucifer/Satan. I got the epic chills at "no not alone" again.... I am a sucker for that shit!

burgerdog

Just finished the game, 30 hour play time. A lot of side quests done as well but I intend to go back and do everything before venturing into ng+.

Full impressions coming tomorrow along with feedback. As far as the last portion of the game goes
I enjoyed it a lot after the Earth sequence. The portions were short but sweet, I definitely wanted way more of the angel and demon world. The 2nd and 3rd last boss fights were way more epic and challenging than the last one plus the story actually picked up. Teaser after the credits, sounds like Lucifer/Satan. I got the epic chills at "no not alone" again.... I am a sucker for that shit!

My steam time is 34 hours; in game it is 24 hours. What's your steam game time?

Just started DS2 after dumping hours into the first game. Everything is just noticably better right off the get go. I love the PoP exploration and conversation options, though basic.

Quite an impressive sequel you have here THQ/Vigil!

Paertan

Finally got the game yesterday and i am loving it. Playing Comfy couch PC Gaming style with a Dual Shock 3.

Emulating a 360 controller so buttons don't match but used to that.

Game is great though, not used to the controls yet. Didn't have much time to play yesterday but I'm getting there.

Top Bottom