• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

sephi22

You can GAME NIGHTMARE MODE if you're on PSN+.
It lets you back up this game's save to the cloud and restore once every 24 hours. Back up the save after every long nightmare session, if you die, restore. Rinse. Repeat

Archpath1

idk if its me, but i equipped the hoardseeker tali before I've opened good chests and gotten purples more than when i have it unequipped

love me some epic loots

Oliuarius

Neo Member
Played the game for 8 hours at a friend's house last monday on the Xbox 360 and we didn't run into a single bug or glitch. I've only seen minor screentearing (and I'm talking about really minor screentearing), and no framerate issues. Everything was smooth (also while on Despair) and the framerate only dipped a little in certain battles. This was on a Xbox Slim btw. I'm getting the game tomorrow and I will try it out on my own old white Xbox, but until now I really don't understand what the fuss is all about tbh :/. Sounds to me like people are overreacting.

It's a kind of magic ?

On the contrary I think you underestimate the problem. The framerate and the tearing are the worst I've ever seen on XBOX 360. it's not "a little" or "minor", it is catastrophic. Even DOGMA fared better...

My setup :
360 Slim
Intalled on HD
HDMI
No motion flow or 100/200/600 hz activated on the TV set (can you check this ?)

Still waiting a patch.

Played about seven hours myself and haven't had any problems people have mentioned. Maybe im not far enough in game to see any of these problems... Or your all fussy bams. :p

Arkain

Played the game for 8 hours at a friend's house last monday on the Xbox 360 and we didn't run into a single bug or glitch. I've only seen minor screentearing (and I'm talking about really minor screentearing), and no framerate issues. Everything was smooth (also while on Despair) and the framerate only dipped a little in certain battles. This was on a Xbox Slim btw. I'm getting the game tomorrow and I will try it out on my own old white Xbox, but until now I really don't understand what the fuss is all about tbh :/. Sounds to me like people are overreacting.

It's a kind of magic ?

On the contrary I think you underestimate the problem. The framerate and the tearing are the worst I've ever seen on XBOX 360. it's not "a little" or "minor", it is catastrophic. Even DOGMA fared better...

My setup :
360 Slim
Intalled on HD
HDMI

Still waiting a patch.

I have an Xbox Slim as well (Installed on HD, HDMI), and I have the same problem as Oliuarius and many others. It's nigh unplayable due to the constant tearing and the extremely low framerate. I don't get how different Xbox360 users are getting such completely opposite experiences.

Khezu

I have an Xbox Slim as well (Installed on HD, HDMI), and I have the same problem as Oliuarius and many others. It's nigh unplayable due to the constant tearing and the extremely low framerate. I don't get how different Xbox360 users are getting such completely opposite experiences.

I'm playing on a fat xbox elite, through VGA cables hooked up to a PC monitor, with the game installed. I have almost no tearing and the framerate is solid the vast majority of the time.

luffeN

Don't know if that's been said, but in the Prima guide Joe Madureira was asked about what he is going to do after DS2, and he said:

Joe Mad said:
After DS2, we are obviously already planning the next title; whether it will or won't be a Darksiders title, we are not saying just yet.
And he has a comic project with Marvel for early 2013.

monome

Very happy with the game.

Best Zelda in years...

Hope Vigil's next game is in the same vein, but wouldn't mind a different Universe, cuz there is only so much surprise to come out from DS3 when your cast of heroes is a band of Four. Vigil giving the Darksiders IP a vigil until they have something new to express.
Art direction, combat etc...is great.
Wouldn't mind a little more linear game and a less "floaty" camera as I play with a projector and the swift movements kinda make me dizzy after a long playthrough.

Big surprise anyway, bought the game thinking "why not?", and it's love now.
THQ + Vigil = take my money

DieH@rd

Banned
ds2steamgraph5lj4y.jpg

-GJ-

It's a kind of magic ?

My setup :
360 Slim
Intalled on HD
HDMI

Still waiting a patch.

I don't know what kind of TV it was or what was activated, and he's on vacation now so I cannot check it, but the game was installed on the HD and it was connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. I'm not underestimating it, because like I said we didn't experience any of the problems I've read about regarding screentearing or the framerate.

Oh, so they are the Bloodless.

Wait, Karn's treasure side-quest was part of that pre-order bonus? And the construct that lost his limbs?

WEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKK!

The construct that lost his limbs was in my game and I didn't get it from GS. Also what are the invisible ememys for ? Is it the bloodlines quest?

Also any tips on upgrading weapons. I never seem to get the stat/bonus I want on a weapon. Is there an order you need to feed items to it?

Dahbomb

The construct that lost his limbs was in my game and I didn't get it from GS. Also what are the invisible ememys for ? Is it the bloodlines quest?

Also any tips on upgrading weapons. I never seem to get the stat/bonus I want on a weapon. Is there an order you need to feed items to it?
Yes the invisible enemies are part of the Bloodless quest.

The stats you want on your weapon depend on your build. Note that some type of stats don't really start showing up until like lvl20+ (like the sought after Wrath/Health steal). The order is important, the first set of items you feed it should have the stat that you want to be the highest of like lets say you want crit damage to be the main stat on your weapon... you feed a crit damage weapon first. For the stat to take place, that weapon has to be the one that pushes the possessed weapon to the next level.

Harbringer build max out any 4 of these: Strength, Crit Damage, Crit chance, Health Steal (on one weapon), Wrath steal (on the other), Piercing damage

Necromancer build max out any 4 of these: Arcane, Arcane Crit chance, Elemental damage, Reaper energy on crit/execution, Execution chance

On your other gear you want to have Defense, Resistance, Health up, Wrath up and any of the stats from your build on it. Some gear also has stuff like reducing cost of Wrath skills which are very useful too.

Execution chance is pretty powerful and a good 4th stat to have on your weapon. Right now I believe for a Harbringer the most powerful 4 stat combination weapon includes Strength, Crit Damage, Crit Chance and either Health/Wrath steal on it. Health/Wrath steal in general are really OP at the moment.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think Arcane crit chance is as rare or just barely less rare than wrath/life on hit.

Only item I have seen it on so far is a pendant I got at level 17

Wrath on hit is a must have on one weapon at least for necro build

Derrick01

Banned
Sleeping Dogs' peak is still higher than Darksiders'. This is not good.

Are those steam numbers? If so then it's no surprise. Besides Sleeping Dogs being a much better game, it's an objectively vastly superior PC port in that it was actually given more than a minute of attention.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The worst part about the PC fiasco is we were TOLD, by VIGIL DEVS, that the PC version would get all usual PC options.

It just makes it more painful to take that. :(

The worst part about the PC fiasco is we were TOLD, by VIGIL DEVS, that the PC version would get all usual PC options.

It adds to my theory of THQ just having them get it out ASAP because they are in dire straits.

Which, you know, is understandable. Sad, but understandable.

I just hope that, now that the game is out, they can actually fix some of the things they needed to fix. A bad first impression can sting but it does not need to be the game's legacy.

Yes the invisible enemies are part of the Bloodless quest.

The stats you want on your weapon depend on your build. Note that some type of stats don't really start showing up until like lvl20+ (like the sought after Wrath/Health steal). The order is important, the first set of items you feed it should have the stat that you want to be the highest of like lets say you want crit damage to be the main stat on your weapon... you feed a crit damage weapon first. For the stat to take place, that weapon has to be the one that pushes the possessed weapon to the next level.

Harbringer build max out any 4 of these: Strength, Crit Damage, Crit chance, Health Steal (on one weapon), Wrath steal (on the other), Piercing damage

Necromancer build max out any 4 of these: Arcane, Arcane Crit chance, Elemental damage, Reaper energy on crit/execution, Execution chance

On your other gear you want to have Defense, Resistance, Health up, Wrath up and any of the stats from your build on it. Some gear also has stuff like reducing cost of Wrath skills which are very useful too.

Execution chance is pretty powerful and a good 4th stat to have on your weapon. Right now I believe for a Harbringer the most powerful 4 stat combination weapon includes Strength, Crit Damage, Crit Chance and either Health/Wrath steal on it. Health/Wrath steal in general are really OP at the moment.

So if the initial weapon that is fed cannot push it to the point of an upgrade you will need a weapon with the same initial bonus to push it over to get the bonus on the possessed weapon. If I want critical damage I would have to feed it items with that bonus to get it on the possessed weapon?

How do you make them visible. I have some bloodless talisman, do I need to put that on?

Eurogamer released the digital foundry face-off for Darksiders 2
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-face-off
everyone still undecided which version to choose, the game is pretty much the same on all 3 platforms :)

That's neither true nor what the article says. PC runs at 1080p 60 fps.
Either way, running the game at 1080p60 easily makes it the best version to get, with smoother gameplay and more responsive controls delivering a tangible edge over the consoles.
Even being the only advantage, it's still clearly the best version.

Necrovex

This is the main reason why I decided to complete Sleeping Dogs before I started to play DS2.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hmmm, seems the 360 version has better light effects.

It adds to my theory of THQ just having them get it out ASAP because they are in dire straits.

Which, you know, is understandable. Sad, but understandable.

I just hope that, now that the game is out, they can actually fix some of the things they needed to fix. A bad first impression can sting but it does not need to be the game's legacy.

Then let's hope the console versions sold A LOT better.

Bittercup

That's neither true nor what the article says. PC runs at 1080p 60 fps.

Even being the only advantage, it's still clearly the best version.
Sure, that's a given. Besides Dark Souls no PC port lacks the ability to run at a higher resolution.
But textures, models etc are exactly the same as the console version and nothing improved = pretty much the same (=/= identical)
And for everyone interested in one of the console version doesn't need to worry about getting a bad port that is significantly worse.

Are those steam numbers? If so then it's no surprise. Besides Sleeping Dogs being a much better game, it's an objectively vastly superior PC port in that it was actually given more than a minute of attention.
Booooooo!

Sleeping Dogs is awesome, but I prefer Darksiders 2.

Maffis

Your constant bitching is getting to the point of the extreme. We get it, you don't like the game.

Arkain

Eurogamer released the digital foundry face-off for Darksiders 2
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-face-off
everyone still undecided which version to choose, the game is pretty much the same on all 3 platforms :)

The Xbox360 videos posted there look nothing like what I'm playing on my Xbox. Stable 30fps and rarely any tearing in those video while I seem to be playing a very poorly optimized port.

I really don't get what's going on here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Retail musing:

At my store we have sold a lot more Sleeping Dogs than Darksiders II, but DS2 still sold very well in its first week.

I don't think ds2 would of ever outsold sleeping dogs, that game just resonates with the current generation of gamers more. People love GTA type open world stuff. Specially if it's done well On top of that it has a more grounded in reality story, as well as non stylized art direction.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My only complaint so far are the shadow LODs. Let me keep the low resolution stuff all the time, it's the super close transition that kills me.

Dahbomb

So if the initial weapon that is fed cannot push it to the point of an upgrade you will need a weapon with the same initial bonus to push it over to get the bonus on the possessed weapon. If I want critical damage I would have to feed it items with that bonus to get it on the possessed weapon?

How do you make them visible. I have some bloodless talisman, do I need to put that on?
Yes to both.

_machine

Sleeping Dogs' peak is still higher than Darksiders'. This is not good.
Well I'd blame a bit of that on the late Darksiders 2 EU release, it's only natural that the peaks are higher during the first days of release and since Sleeping Dogs had the releases closer it probably explains a bit. Still, I would've hoped better numbers for both games.

IronRinn

Beat
Achidna
last night.
She didn't drop Achidna's Fang.
Then, the next cut-scene in
The Black Throne
was devoid of audio and subtitles.

I'm kind of starting to hate this game.

aristotle

I haven't really gotten very far into the game yet but I want to understand the Possessed weapon break-down so I can plan for end game.

1. Start off with at least lvl 20 weapon with main desired stat (% crit for instance)
2. For the first level, only add weapons that are same (or close) lvl that only have % crit
3. Select the modifier you want once lvled.
4. Pick second modifier for lvl 2 that you want to level
5. Only add weapons that add % crit + whatever 2nd modifier you want
6. Continue that way through all the leveling up of the possessed weapon, choosing a new stat for each level and adding only that stat + the previous other stats you want buffed
7. Continue until done and only those 4 modifiers you want added are increased

Is that correct? Does adding (for instance) 2 +% crit weapons and 1 health regen screw things up as you upgrade from level to level? You should only added weapons that boost specific stats?

Fletcher

I'm sure it's been asked and I apologize, but is there a stash box in this game? I have equipment I would prefer to not lose, but don't want to keep lugging it around.

neoism

this main reason I haven't played in 4 days... I really hope the "patch" is worth waiting for... I just hope they don't wait for the tomb dlc the I never got for pre-ordering the game :/ I got it from amazon I wonder if they will email me a code or did I just get screwed again.

Ridley327

Something told me to back away from that portal for now, lol. Thank you kindly, sir.

If you haven't, I would recommend investing some skill points into the zombie horde skill tree; they can take the heat off of you long enough to get a huge advantage on the more troublesome spawns.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

Now listen to this weirdness. My experience with the 360 version has been very, very poor framerate but with minimal screen tearing. However I just reached the fight with
Archon
and suddenly and very noticeably, my framerate jumps through the roof but theres screen tearing like I've never seen in a 360 title.

ironcreed

Banned
If you haven't, I would recommend investing some skill points into the zombie horde skill tree; they can take the heat off of you long enough to get a huge advantage on the more troublesome spawns.

That is to my advantage then, I am working on maxing that skill out. Thank you again.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Now listen to this weirdness. My experience with the 360 version has been very, very poor framerate but with minimal screen tearing. However I just reached the fight with
Archon
and suddenly and very noticeably, my framerate jumps through the roof but theres screen tearing like I've never seen in a 360 title.

Aaaaaannnd its getting weirder. I'm standing at the bottom of the spiral stairs leading up to the boss I mentioned earlier and I decided to check my map. Well the map is clearly running at a higher FPS than it ever has, the scrolling is smoother but there's a constant ripple effect from never ending screen tearing. I'm going to post a video of it.

Ridley327

Archon

Oh, I certainly remember another Vigil-developed game on the 360 that tore like that. :)

Top Bottom