• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

forrest

formerly nacire
I truly believe Vigil was out of time according to THQ and unfortunately Bugs squashing and QA were sacrificed in order to meet the release window which had already been pushed back. I agree, game breaking bugs suck. No one wants to invest hours of their time only to have to restart. As much as I love the game, I would like to see people get refunds if they choose to after experiencing said bugs.

That being said, I've played through the game twice now Apocalyptic and New Game + Apocalyptic, 100% both times and only had one bug that I noticed which was audio dropping out from time to time when I had the Bone Lord guys with me. I think the game crashed to desktop twice as well. Despite the issues I had, it's still my GOTY and I'll recommend it to anyone looking for an awesome 3rd person action adventure in the vein of Zelda. Thinking about buying it for my cousin and friend if they don't have it by Christmas.

Q8D3vil

how do i get to get execute the enemy with the B move (gow style), right now it seems to be appearing randomly.
pc version on apocalyptic

forrest

formerly nacire
how do i get to get execute the enemy with the B move (gow style), right now it seems to be appearing randomly.

By increasing your Execution Chance on your gear. Whenever a mob spawns that's when it's chance to be executed is rolled. If your value is higher, then it's more likely that the spawning mobs will be able to be executed. Some mobs won't ever have it appear while others will have it appear right away. It all depends on the roll.

BY2K

Membero Americo

In DS2, it's a stats (Execution Chance) so it isn't as abusive as it was in DS1.

You can raise the stat. (It's 10% by default, I think.)

EDIT: Damn it, beaten!

Dahbomb

It's chance based after a certain amount of health lost. You can increase your chance by getting + Execution Chance on your gear.

Famassu

You REALLY should read what you type. Here I quoted it for you:

That is exactly what you said. And no where in any of my posts did I say I recommended those games. You're just making shit up now.
Where in that does it say "you didn't encounter any bugs in Darksiders II". See how that sentence continues? What game do I mention there? Really, your reading comprehension sucks.

Also, notice the use of "IF", "IF you have ever recommended..." I didn't know if you had recommended those games, I only noticed that you were defending those two series with the same reasoning you complained others of defending Darksiders II with.

It's not open-world. Sorry. Neither is Zelda nor Super Mario SNES. GTA is open world as are most of Rockstar's games.

Its closer to Zelda and Mario World in terms of map traversal than GTA. As much as you want to believe it, Darksiders is not an open world game.
It's still a massive, complex game where you can travel around quite freely, which was my point. Polishing that requires a lot of time & effort, something pretty much no QA team would have. There's a reason why there haven't been games that combine Zelda, DMC, Diablo & God of War into one game. Polishing & balancing the combat system alone is a big task (IIRC, Kamiya & Co spent (almost) a year after Bayonetta was content-complete just to polish & balance the combat system), add all kinds of puzzles, traversal stuff etc. into that and you should begin to understand how hard a task it is to polish it to your standards. Maybe they could've taken the deep combat out or make this more like DMC without any puzzles & dungeons, but that would've made it a worse game, even if they could've polished it more.

And please, cut with the Mario World crap. That's not even close to Darksiders II or Zelda, and Darksiders II isn't the same as Zelda either, though it is closest to it.

You keep saying my reading comprehension is horrible and I'm illiterate when you're the one making up shit and not listening to what many people are saying.
I'm not making up anything, you are just failing in basic reading comprehension. And who are these "we"? I've only been answering to your posts. I just got annoyed by your "everyone who likes Darksiders II and recommends it even though it has bugs is a corporate apologist" idiocy.

forrest

formerly nacire
awesome, much better than previous game then, love me stats.
thanks for the help.

As a heads up, you can put Execution Chance on your scythes, but not your secondary weapons. So between your scythes and your talisman is where you're going to get the most execution chance unless there is a unique weapon with execution chance as its special ability. I think there is one, but I cant remember what it was honestly.

Dahbomb

I like Ds2 a lot and I would definitely recommend it but it will come with a probable bug warning. If I don't recommend it based off of bugs that I personally didn't experience then it would be a dishonest recommendation on my part.

The secondary unique that gives you high execution chance are the Executioners Hooks from beating the Soul Arbiter.

aristotle

Where in that does it say "you didn't encounter any bugs in Darksiders II". See how that sentence continues? What game do I mention there? Really, your reading comprehension sucks.

uhhh....

YOU didn't have any game progression bugs, I had Fallout 3 crash on me several times, doors not opening and saves corrupting. So if you've ever recommended Fallout 3 to anyone, you are a bad person and a hypocrite.

The first 7 words flat out say I didn't have any progression bug. WTF are you smoking? You said in black & white that I didn't have those bugs and yet now you're saying you didn't type that? Am I missing something here??? Who has reading issues?

Also, notice the use of "IF", "IF you have ever recommended..." I didn't know if you had recommended those games, I only noticed that you were defending those two series with the same reasoning you complained others of defending Darksiders II with.

I've never once defended those series. Quote me and show me where I said it. You're making shit up. That's all that needs to be said.

I won't go into further discourse with you since it's pointless and you can't even read your own posts. It's derailing the thread which should be about the game and any issues people have with it, not making shit up and trying to make people look bad who have legitimate gripes with THQ/Vigil/Darksiders 2. There are more posters than just myself who have issues, even on this very thread and this very page(!) that for some reason you keep skimming over like their opinions don't matter or that they're wrong or factually incorrect. You're being completely disingenuous, for whatever reason I can't fathom.

hank_tree

The first 7 words flat out say I didn't have any progression bug. WTF are you smoking? You said in black & white that I didn't have those bugs and yet now you're saying you didn't type that? Am I missing something here??? Who has reading issues?

That sentence refers to Fallout 3 rather than Darksiders 2. I know this for certain because it contains the words "Fallout 3" and does not contain the words "Darksiders 2".

I don't really know where to ask this so...

Fall of Cybertron or Sleeping Dogs?

Sleeping Dogs is a top 3 open world game this generation if you're into that experience. Haven't been paying attention to Transformers, but there you go.

And my Possessed Scythe upgrade option is RED right now, I'm taking that to mean it's been fed as much as it can be? Time to move on?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sleeping Dogs is a top 3 open world game this generation if you're into that experience. Haven't been paying attention to Transformers, but there you go.

And my Possessed Scythe upgrade option is RED right now, I'm taking that to mean it's been fed as much as it can be? Time to move on?

Yeah you maxed it out.

Feindflug

I truly believe Vigil was out of time according to THQ and unfortunately Bugs squashing and QA were sacrificed in order to meet the release window which had already been pushed back. I agree, game breaking bugs suck. No one wants to invest hours of their time only to have to restart. As much as I love the game, I would like to see people get refunds if they choose to after experiencing said bugs.

This, the game feels like it needed like 6 more months of development...especially the console versions are a technical mess - the frame rate almost always drops during combat, there's lots of tearing especially outdoors and there's some crazy annoying stuttering in some places that stop after a while probably caused by data streaming, add all these bugs/glitches and you have a game that I wouldn't recommend at it's current state...I know that all these are known and I already said that in previous posts but I'm really disappointed with how unpolished and rough the game is.

Now about the game yes it's bigger, it has loot and the combat is better but it's like something is missing, all this bigger world/scale feels like it's just for the sake of it...I beat
Guardian
yesterday currently at about 11hrs in and I don't really feel the game at all - it's like something is missing, something that made the first game special. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This, the game feels like it needed like 6 more months of development...especially the console versions are a technical mess - the frame rate almost always drops during combat, there's lots of tearing especially outdoors and there's some crazy annoying stuttering in some places that stop after a while probably caused by data streaming, add all these bugs/glitches and you have a game that I wouldn't recommend at it's current state...I know that all these are known and I already said that in previous posts but I'm really disappointed with how unpolished and rough the game is.

Now about the game yes it's bigger, it has loot and the combat is better but it's like something is missing, all this bigger world/scale feels like it's just for the sake of it...I beat
Guardian
yesterday currently at about 11hrs in and I don't really feel the game at all - it's like something is missing, something that made the first game special. :(

I'm willing to bet the first world they finished was world 2. That world has a fuck ton of love all through it.

Basicly it goes like this

World 1: Hmm this is fun but why the fuck am I doing the same thing for so fucking long these are really basic puzzles.

World 2: TODAYS EPISODE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE NUMBER 3, the puzzles in this area and everything in general besides that are WONDERFUL.

world 3: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? Oh okay this is more like darksiders again now.

World 4: DAMN THIS PLACE LOOKS AWESOME... wtf it's over already?

Corto

Is there some known bug with fast travel on PC? I can't seem to understand where it can be activated or not. Sometimes on the overworld map it shows the option other times it won't. Also, when in a dungeon there's no way to see the overworld map? It shows a "toggle overmorld map" option with the "A" controller button prompt but nothing happens when I press it.

edit: Ok. Found the solution in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7C6QN3u99I

It seems that the button prompts are mislabeled. Instead of "A" to toggle the overworld map it's press the left stick.

Feindflug

I'm willing to bet the first world they finished was world 2. That world has a fuck ton of love all through it.

I got there yesterday and saved, hopefully it's better than the first world.

BTW one question guys at these 11 hrs that I've played I've only found 3 possessed weapons...is that normal? also it seems that the game thus far drops A LOT more secondary weapons than scythes, I have found like only 10 scythes thus far.

I know everyone hates this question, but is the ps3 version better than the 360 version? I've heard there is more screen tearing and frame rate drops on the 360 version. Can anyone confirm this?

KevinCow

Banned
I just can't shake the feeling that this is a huge disappointment. This is not at all what I wanted from the sequel to Darksiders. It has lovely aesthetics and music (though it repeats too much), but I just...didn't want this. Ugh.

I got DS1 day like 40 after it had price dropped, and I got this day 1. And now I'm off the train again. :(

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I honestly don't understand how someone who enjoyed Darksiders 1 could say this. With the exception of the story, it's everything I wanted from Darksiders 2 and then some. Combat's better, the world's way bigger with so many wonderful little nooks and crannies to explore and more things to find, platforming and traversal are much more fleshed out, and the loot and RPG elements give the game a much better feeling of power progression. And while I was disappointed in the direction they took the story, I still enjoyed seeing more of the Darksiders universe and characters.

You're not the only person who's said something like this, but I honestly don't understand what you could have wanted out of the sequel to Darksiders for this game to be a disappointment.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I honestly don't understand how someone who enjoyed Darksiders 1 could say this. With the exception of the story, it's everything I wanted from Darksiders 2 and then some. Combat's better, the world's way bigger with so many wonderful little nooks and crannies to explore and more things to find, platforming and traversal are much more fleshed out, and the loot and RPG elements give the game a much better feeling of power progression. And while I was disappointed in the direction they took the story, I still enjoyed seeing more of the Darksiders universe and characters.

You're not the only person who's said something like this, but I honestly don't understand what you could have wanted out of the sequel to Darksiders for this game to be a disappointment.

I love both games, but this game honestly doesn't have the flow that ds1 has. It's really off putting if you were expecting it

I'm with Kev on this one too. I'm actually not interested in the RPG mechanics AT ALL, menu navigation is slow as hell on PS3. Just give me some XP with the ability tree and it would be fine (at least for me, although the equipment changing on your character looks great)

After the first world I'm already burned out on ball-rolling sticky bomb puzzles. Jeez so many....I feel the game could be paced a little bit better because of this, but judging from other people's impressions it should get better now.

I'm really digging the art and the characters, but the hodgepodge gameplay itself doesn't really click with me like it did in DS1. Sometimes less is more I feel.

Gestahl

Yeah, none of the new systems feel like they add much positive and the sooner devs understand that shoehorning in random loot into non-randomized, unique dungeons is awful the better. And yeah the game has a lot of dungeons, but they're all so similar and you usually have the flimsiest of excuses for going through them (Being told to find a guy, getting to his dungeon and being told to find THREE OTHER GUYS was insanity). It also doesn't help that the combat visuals get so fucking busy with more than a few enemies in the fray. By the midway point I was just pushing buttons and dodging randomly because I could barely work where Death was half the time under all the skeleton asses and colourful explosions.

The biggest knock against it though is just how meandering it is. The entire game Death is an errand boy doing random shit for a quest he barely understands *End of the game*
Hey alright the Well of Souls finally! Now I can....uh. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Line?
. In Darksiders you have a clear concise goal for the majority of the game: Obtain the still beating hearts of your demonic adversaries and feed them to Satan so that he can unlock a door and you can kill the biggest and baddest demon on Earth. Here, you go through 2 of the largest worlds in the game off the advice of the Crowfather and your reward at the end is
getting the fucking Crowfather's GHOST to help you out! The guy you killed and who sent you off on this fucking bullshit to begin with! Jesus.
The game makes a strong first impression but in almost all respects it ends up being a total downhill ride, and parts of the track are missing or broken
(The Earth section is fucking terrible)

jett

D-Member
I got to the
Earth level
the other day and I gotta say, it zapped all enthusiasm I had for the game.

Seems everyone hates that level. I enjoyed it myself, it was a nice change of pace. And a breeze anyway so what does it matter.

The one thing I really disliked in the game was the Guardian boss fight. Developers really need to stop ripping of Shadow of the Colossus. You fucking suck at it, people, realize that plz.

If anybody has any scythes or claws with Health steal and is willing to send them to me, I'd appreciate it. I'm on 360. Tag is RoninChaos.

Also, I dig this game. The dungeon design is great. Can't help but feel the way the game works is unpolished though. Almost like there was a lack of focus except for the combat. Control choices are just odd, and random loot in a game that doesn't have random dungeons is just weird. Up until last night I was still using pre order scythes until a gaffer sent me some new shit. It feels like for everything that they got right, something else isn't quite there. Almost like the core of how the game would work wasn't as focused as it should be.

Not sure how to put my finger on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I wanted fewer, larger, longer dungeons. I pretty much hate loot and ARPG mechanics so that stuff was purely dilutive for me, but I basically wanted another Zelda game. On top of that, I think randomized loot the way it is in this game is basically offensive. I did a minidungeon (which was really like insulting in the way puzzles are recycled) and got some shitty regular scythes. Thanks.

Combat's not better to me. It's been expanded upon and there are more options, but I don't actually want that in my Zelda adventure game. I don't think making Link a Dantealike would make combat better in Zelda. I want less combat and more puzzles. The dungeons in this game are less fulfilling, less involving, and less creative than I wanted them to be.

Darksiders 1 isn't really polished or even great (and I would freely admit that Darksiders 2 at least seems like a very good title at being what it wants to be), but it's not what I want.

Then you just have stuff like the pacing and narrative, which I think is truly dreadful compared to the first. I feel so conflicted-- for a game with so much padding, there's so little connective tissue between everything.

And that one level (the one you know I am talking about) was hot garbage.

Dahbomb

Pacing and flow is a huge fault of the game. Every world is paced completely different from each other and each has their own flaw ranging from monotonous puzzles in 1st world to splintering of dungeons/quests in 3s in the 2 world to the last two which were over before they really hit their stride although the last two minus the you know what were very similar to Ds1.

Khezu

If it were up to me, Darksiders 3 would be a mix of DS1&2.

The Zeldanish of DS1, and the combat of DS2, maybe even expanded on even more.

Remove the loot, have multiple armor sets and weapon that do different things ala metroid, keep the talent trees, but instead of getting skill points by leveling, have the skill points be the new heart containers, so there is still something to collect, but it doesn't ruin game balance.

That and it would star fury, who uses her whip, and maybe dual swords as a secondary, and has magic spells that you can customize and combine.

Y2Kev

Pacing and flow is a huge fault of the game. Every world is paced completely different from each other and each has their own flaw ranging from monotonous puzzles in 1st world to splintering of dungeons/quests in 3s in the 2 world to the last two which were over before they really hit their stride although the last two minus the you know what were very similar to Ds1.

Yeah, I would agree that the world I just did was the first time I felt like I was playing the sequel to Darksiders.

protonion

Finished it and my opinion is the same. Very disappointing.

It took me 20 hours without sub quests. I used fast travel all the time. Lengthy game for sure.

The loot system is worthless. The open environments add nothing. World 3... whyyyyy?

The dungeons are good. I enjoyed most of the puzzles though I think they didn't want to push the difficulty to DS1 levels. And it's a nice change that the game does not help you at all. I got stuck because I didn't know the interaction between bombs and clone character. However there are so many dungeon areas that they exhaust the player.

Worst part for me is the battle system. And I don't see what people here like about it.Mash square, evasion, repeat. All the time. The camera and visual effects made it impossible to see what's going on.Too fast. No sense of weight. No feel for the hits. And I don't know...just not satisfying at all.

Best moment of the game was the first world boss.

I liked Death.

Return to the DS1 formula please.

Y2Kev

Oh and my lesson to developers is not to design enemy encounters your camera can't handle. Jesus fuck. The lockon in this game is never actually helpful.

Monocle

Seems everyone hates that level. I enjoyed it myself, it was a nice change of pace. And a breeze anyway so what does it matter.
I might be tempted to agree if that dungeon were two thirds shorter and balanced around ordinary combat instead of turret weapons. On Apocalyptic the whole thing is an exercise in frustration. You get swarmed from every direction by dudes that can drain your health in seconds. You're constantly backpedaling or running in circles, trying to keep all the enemies in view. Inevitably, a boomer takes you by surprise. You can be chugging along at full health and get absolutely reamed seconds later as you turn a corner. There are some areas where the enemies endlessly respawn.

I actually enjoyed playing around with the two kinds of turrets for the first five minutes. They were an amusing novelty that might have been fun to try in other worlds, if they were strictly optional. The novelty wears off fast when you have to cart one around an oppressively huge labyrinth that appears to have been deliberately arranged for ambushes.

Worst of all, there are way too many valuable collectibles in that area. There's nothing fun about hiking through all those dismal passages for a second time. Mercifully, only a handful of basic grunts spawn once you've cleared the dungeon. It is beyond any doubt the lowest point of the game.

The one thing I really disliked in the game was the Guardian boss fight. Developers really need to stop ripping of Shadow of the Colossus. You fucking suck at it, people, realize that plz.
This fight was cool but it nearly had me screaming at my TV. I kept getting knocked off my horse because I couldn't figure out how to dodge the boss's big ground strike. I had to retry maybe 5 times for really dumb reasons.

Oh and my lesson to developers is not to design enemy encounters your camera can't handle. Jesus fuck. The lockon in this game is never actually helpful.
The console version should have had a lock-on toggle at least. It's way too awkward to use wrath moves while holding left trigger.

Dahbomb

The combat is one of the best parts about the game, easily a tier above Ds1. Just because people can play the game by mashing X doesn't mean that is most effective way to play or that there isn't depth. It's the best combat a Western studio has put out for an action game easily.

The lock on is pretty bad though outside of bosses and single enemy encounter. They used the same system from Ds1 where the camera is too zoomed only in this game it's an even bigger problem because the DS is much faster.

Having had a few problems with the Darksiders 2 savegames (I lost the main quest and no restart would give it back) I decided to write a simple program that makes a backup of your savegame file as you're playing and not after you leave the game, sometimes people forget to back them up so this tool does it automatically. It should also work on any game because it basically gets the folder where the saves are kept and if a file is created or changed a backup is created inside a destination folder with the date in the filename. I might add a image filter cause some games like to create images files along with the saves, but this will work well for Darksiders 2 since the saves are pretty small. It's written in Java so you might need the latest JRE.

Saveup

The worst thing about the Guardian boss fight is that destroying the third stone is just a cutscene and not playable in any way. THAT had me screaming at my TV.

As soon as Death started platforming up the pieces of floating stone in order to reach the head I was like "WHAT THE FUCK? WHY AM I NOT THE ONE DOING THIS?"

Dahbomb

What also got me was when you entered the 2nd world and there is a cutscene where Death rides on the serpents like a bad ass. I saw that in the promos and thought it was the player controlling Death in the scene...

I don't see how anyone can hate the combat of DS2 especially compared to the first. There are so many more options available to you that it never gets old whereas DS1 I was bored of the limited combos available a quarter of the way through. The camera and lock on complaints I get though.

So after my game froze during an autosave which corrupted my save, I started over. I get to the same place again and the game once more freezes during an autosave and corrupts my save. I will never buy another vigil game.

Y2Kev

Just beat it.
The narrative is kind of a giant f u to everyone who wanted to see what happened following DS1.
So, for that, I'm no longer a fan.

Frankly, I question the decision to so throughly develop "side content" given how utterly emaciated the main game is. A player would have to be half conscious to not notice the complete dropoff from worlds 1 and 2 to 3, and then further from 3 to 4. A real shame. It's such a long game so oddly designed. It's like getting a massive T-Bone steak that's all fat or something. The game is huge, but it's so uneven. It reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2.

Now I'm worried AC3 is going to have shitty music.

Dahbomb

I am surprised so many people didn't know that Ds2 was a parallel story to Ds1. That was basically the first bit of info that was released on the game.

Monocle

Finished it and my opinion is the same. Very disappointing.

It took me 20 hours without sub quests. I used fast travel all the time. Lengthy game for sure.

The loot system is worthless. The open environments add nothing. World 3... whyyyyy?

The dungeons are good. I enjoyed most of the puzzles though I think they didn't want to push the difficulty to DS1 levels. And it's a nice change that the game does not help you at all. I got stuck because I didn't know the interaction between bombs and clone character. However there are so many dungeon areas that they exhaust the player.

Worst part for me is the battle system. And I don't see what people here like about it.Mash square, evasion, repeat. All the time. The camera and visual effects made it impossible to see what's going on.Too fast. No sense of weight. No feel for the hits. And I don't know...just not satisfying at all.

Best moment of the game was the first world boss.

I liked Death.

Return to the DS1 formula please.
Dahbomb's right, no one's making you mash. The combat system gives you a lot of offensive options balanced with appropriate windows of vulnerability. You have tons of tools to work with. It's up to you to figure out what's most effective and how much you want to mix things up.

Just beat it.
The narrative is kind of a giant f u to everyone who wanted to see what happened following DS1.
So, for that, I'm no longer a fan.

Frankly, I question the decision to so throughly develop "side content" given how utterly emaciated the main game is. A player would have to be half conscious to not notice the complete dropoff from worlds 2 to 3, and then further from 3 to 4. A real shame. It's such a long game so oddly designed. It's like getting a massive T-Bone steak that's all fat or something. The game is huge, but it's so uneven. It reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2.

Now I'm worried AC3 is going to have shitty music.

Didn't like the soundtrack for Darksiders II?

I'm not worried about AC3. A lot of the tracks in Darksiders II to me felt like they lacked direction/inspiration, and then the same tracks were reused over and over and over...

but Assassin's Creed always feels like it fits and it has always been really good

Top Bottom