• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't think that was ever something anyone from Vigil actually said. Purplemonkeydishwasher.

I can't find the exact quote, but I distinctly remember hearing it mentioned and it is listed as such in the official Darksiders II info thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482752

"Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1." Perhaps someone can help me find where this was mentioned.

I can't find the exact quote, but I distinctly remember hearing it mentioned and it is listed as such in the official Darksiders II info thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482752

"Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1." Perhaps someone can help me find where this was mentioned.

I'm with you, that was definitely stated by the devs. Lets see if I can dig up the quote...

KevinCow

Banned
I remember them saying, "There are four worlds, and the first one alone is as big as the first game."

I can see how that could be read as, "All four worlds are as big as the first game."

tragic

Developer
Hey all, been away a bit (playing Guild Wars 2!). Catching back up on the thread.

I posted about this before, but the "4 worlds as big/bigger than the first game" is a misquote. Someone at Vigil or THQ was talking about how the first zone had more dungeons than the first game and there are 4 zones. It was taken to mean there are 4 zones bigger than the first game. We cringed every time that was repeated in the press, but once it's out there, it's hard to correct it everywhere.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hey all, been away a bit (playing Guild Wars 2!). Catching back up on the thread.

I posted about this before, but the "4 worlds as big/bigger than the first game" is a misquote. Someone at Vigil or THQ was talking about how the first zone had more dungeons than the first game and there are 4 zones. It was taken to mean there are 4 zones bigger than the first game. We cringed every time that was repeated in the press, but once it's out there, it's hard to correct it everywhere.

Oh man, I've been playing GW2 too! Have to review it. Great game.

That sucks about the way it was written and misheard though.

Duffyside

Banned

I am appalled that you guys only made a game with three times as much content instead of four.

Hobohodo

So as my Death Rides code was giving me Deadly Deapair pack I sent an email off to THQ. Haven't had a reply yet and it's been four days, reckon I should send one again?

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, I remember it being reported as such. Glad it's cleared up now that the game is out, lol.

Dahbomb

That's not exactly what was said. The exact developer line was that the first world had as many dungeons as the first game, which is probably true. The press and the players interpreted as the first world being as long as the first game and ran with it.

Nevermind I was beaten badly to the post.

ironcreed

Banned
I am appalled that you guys only made a game with three times as much content instead of four.

I was not complaining about the amount of content, just bringing up that which was falsely reported. Anyway, while I felt the latter half felt rushed and a bit lackluster, I still had fun with the game.

Duffyside

Banned
I was not complaining about the amount of content, just bringing up that which was falsely reported. Anyway, while I felt the latter half felt rushed and a bit lackluster, I still had fun with the game.

My comment was not meant towards you, or anyone, really. It was only my stupid way of saying to tragic that I like the game and it has tons of content.

I remember them saying, "There are four worlds, and the first one alone is as big as the first game."

I can see how that could be read as, "All four worlds are as big as the first game."

This is what I remember. I didn't expect them to follow through with every hub world, but I didn't exactly expect the last two worlds to be mere corridors, either.

Amagon

Quick question here because I am playing the first Darksiders right now and gonna follow up with part 2 later on in the month. Does Death move faster than War in the new game because I really hate how slow War moves around in this game. Another question is, I'm playing this game on the PS3 and loading is shit to say the least. Have they fix this problem in 2? Which system is it best to play on right now since I have a 360/PS3/PC available to play DS2.

Quick question here because I am playing the first Darksiders right now and gonna follow up with part 2 later on in the month. Does Death move faster than War in the new game because I really hate how slow War moves around in this game. Another question is, I'm playing this game on the PS3 and loading is shit to say the least. Have they fix this problem in 2? Which system is it best to play on right now since I have a 360/PS3/PC available to play DS2.

I'd say Death movies faster, yeah, insofar as he attacks faster and dodges faster. But as for literally running faster? Not sure.

The load times for DS2 aren't great, but most of them are isolated around the start screen. Once you start playing, the loading is pretty bearable.

Kunohara

I find Death still runs just as slow as War. The bigger hub worlds where you can't use Despair has been really fucking annoying. It takes forever for you to walk anywhere. I wish they added a run button or something. For someone who fights alot faster etc, he sure does run like a snail.

Monocle

I'm gonna post some story thoughts in here, since the story thread is basically dead. Sorry in advance about the big black block of spoiler text.

<snip>
I think your suggestions are largely on point.

Your idea for the ending, with the Well of Souls being in a different location than the Tree of Life, might be in conflict with Vigil's plans for the story.
Otherwise, just about everything you recommended probably would have improved the game.
The story certainly would have benefited from more structure by means of regular encounters with Lilith and Absalom. And Samael would have been a much more enjoyable and fitting final boss, nicely tying Darksiders 2 into Darksiders 1, and ending the game on a high note.

You've got me mourning what could have been. Hopefully Vigil will be able to make Darksiders 3. I think they could really knock it out of the park if they take the right lessons from the first two games.

Beaten on Apocalyptic at about 19 hours and change. Did all the side quests minus the Crucible and collectable quests (Book, Relics). Really enjoyed it overall, but the pacing was pretty annoying around the Dead Kingdom and the Earth section was total ass. Horse and on-foot travel felt too slow given the size of the overworlds. Puzzles were decent and the combat and platforming entertained me throughout. Not much that made me say "OMFG" though...like the game had a feeling of holding itself back throughout. Nothing like the Stallord fight in Zelda: TP for instance. Also needed something to reveal the locations of all the misc. crap you have to collect. Game is probably around an 8 or 8.5/10 for me.

quick question about the drenchfort, not sure if its a glitch or not

is that level supposed to be in black/white? or is there something wrong with my ps3 or my game?

early on the dungeon where you have the puzzle room with the two balls, as i walk around the corridors before that room, my screen flickers and the setting goes from black/white to color and back to black. im not sure if the game is loading the right assets or not.

i just pressed a switch that let some water flow and the room turned colorful again. im guessing its the tears overriding the corruption or something but what was happening during the room before it? i was just walking around and the textures and stuff kept flicking from black/white to colorful and then back to b/w. weird.

fin

I just finished the
Arena
. Loving the game so far! Loving the dungeon design. In my books this is better than any Zelda since OOT. Boss battles that are actually challenging. Thank you Vigil for respecting the players and not spoon feeding them.

Although I did have to turn the tutorials back on because I never new you could push the spheres with the right trigger. The one dungeon that has the sphere at the bottom of the big ramp I ended up lining up 2 bombs on the ground and detonating them with my gun to get it up the hill. It was really tricky but then I realized something was wrong when the boss at the end wouldn't wake up :p

Is anyone else finding it kinda odd that Death has a sense of humor? Or is willing to help people?

darksiders-2-death1.jpg

This is Death! People should fear him, grovelling at his feet. Not giving him orders. I realize some of the NPCs are just showing him the way, but sometimes it feels like Death is running errands for them. Cracking some jokes along the way.

sk3

Banned
Argul fucking sucks. Fuck that fucker. I'm level 14 and if I get caught in his whirlwind its over. And the after damage of being frozen is some bullshit.

I hate the skills in this game. I haven't sunk anything into the summons and the left side skills don't see much better. I never use the whirlwind skill because I just end up getting hammered because you can take damage while using it. I don't remember the skills in the first game feeling so anemic.

wingz

Finished it a few days ago. Really enjoyed it, even if there were a few technical hiccups along the way. One thing that disappointed me was the final boss. The two preceding boss fights
(Archon and Samael) were totally epic. Then you fight Absolam and you beat him so easily and I was thinking, he has to have a 2nd form, but then ending cinematic came along. That was somewhat of a letdown
Hopefully, there will be DS3.

Duffyside

Banned
Game just broke on me, permanently it seems. The Wailing Host boss freezed up, didn't move and wouldn't die. I quit and reloaded (already upset that I would have to redo this fight I didn't enjoy) only to find that the gates that are supposed to keep you from getting OUT of the boss arena are STILL UP and not won't let IN.

So, I'm stuck. I've reloaded. Quit to menu. Quit to XMB. Traveled to the Forge Lands. Nothing. Can't progress, perhaps ever, unless I'm lucky enough to get a patch to address this specific situation.

... Guess I'll go watch the rest on youtube? And reiterate that this game is to me what Skyrim is to other people, only now in the really really fucking unforgivably bad way.

Monocle

Argul fucking sucks. Fuck that fucker. I'm level 14 and if I get caught in his whirlwind its over. And the after damage of being frozen is some bullshit.

I hate the skills in this game. I haven't sunk anything into the summons and the left side skills don't see much better. I never use the whirlwind skill because I just end up getting hammered because you can take damage while using it. I don't remember the skills in the first game feeling so anemic.
Harbinger (left side) is pretty overpowered if you use armor and weapons that boost critical chance and critical damage. Add some possessed claws (or any fast subweapon) with health and wrath on crit (or better still, health/wrath steal) and it's like you've unlocked easy mode. Max out Unstoppable and Teleport Slash (with some spare points in the Harvest damage buff) and Apocalyptic is no challenge at all.

At level 19-ish I killed Argul in maybe 45 seconds and ended up with full wrath and health bars.

NekoFever

He's level 20. Using weapons that do fire damage like the one you get from defeating Bheithir is helpful, and if you summon zombies whenever he's about to do his spinning attack they'll knock him out of it before he gets to you. Other than that, keep dodging to the side and he won't get you with any of his other attacks, and keep hitting him with fire damage. That or wait until you're closer to his level.

Anyway, I just finished the
Earth
level. That was bad. Just bad. What were they thinking?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
My God this game is amazing. I have just finished the first on the 360 which was great but the framerate really bothered me seemed like it was constantly around 20~25FPS. However playing the second on PC now and it feels so fast and smooth and combat is really fun. Why oh why did I not play the first on PC also. :(

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well this sucks I have ran into a bug where I can no longer progress. Right before the last stone needed for the Guardian the construct I needed to ride into the room has disappeared after loading my save :/

Just reached
Earth
and I am actually hoping this is going to end in 3-4 hours from now. This has dragged on long enough. I absolutely love this game and I feel that World 2 features some of the best atmospheric environments that I have seen the last couple of years, but I feel the game is just dragging me along my feet now. I want to quit, but the only thing that keeps me going is that I have already committed 20 hours into it and I definitely want to see how the story ends. This game is just another prime example of a forced development cycle because it just HAD to be released on that certain date, and that forced cycle makes World 3 feel very rushed. I do not even want to know how World 4 is.

Hindle

Banned
I take back what I said, the city of the dead dungeon is brilliant. Also people were not kidding abouts worlds 3 and 4 lol. They really are short.

I'm starting to think there is a bug with the book of the dead pages. I have gone back to everyone and still cannot find the one last page I'm missing.

Dahbomb

I can't speak much for the Necro tree but the Harbinger tree is really powerful once you have the skills maxed out. The last skill sucks but the rest are all great.

Finished this up in the wee hours last night. The ending was a little... abrupt. But maybe not having played Darksiders 1 to completion has something to do with this. But no worries, that's next on my list.

All in all an amazing game, but not without some failings - most notably story pacing and exploring some character motivations that were supposed to be driving the central conflict - that and the just flat out boring shooting segments. Whats crazy about the story is that the characters are all interesting, but once I left the Forge lands they ceased to have much meaning to them.

But what it gets right is fucking stellar - from incredible art design in everything from characters, armor, weaponry, architecture and epic vistas, to animations, a dramatic sense of scale, quick and fluid combat, cool boss finishers, top notch voice work, rewarding exploration, elaborate side missions and dungeons, character skill/item customization, possessed weapons, the crucible and new game+, and all that topped off with one of the best soundtracks this year.

You did good Vigil. You did really good. And this is probably the only game this year that completely earned every last penny of the asking price and then some.

Now to pop in DS1 and see what I missed before going back to dig into DS 2's new game+ at some point.

Can't progress, perhaps ever, unless I'm lucky enough to get a patch to address this specific situation.
Sorry to hear about that Duffy - that's a real bummer. Here's to hoping a fix is coming.

The game pretty much nails all of its most important gameplay elements, combat is fantastic, puzzles/dungeons are great and the platforming is typically really fun. The story just isn't quite up to scratch when compared to War's tale unfortunately, and the presentation in cutscenes isn't as polished, dynamic and well directed as it was in its predecessor. The overworld-type environments are a bit boring to traverse, but I like that there's a pretty nice amount of side dungeons/opportunities for platforming and the odd puzzle scattered throughout.

Seems the game could have done with more time in the oven to iron out the technical problems, maybe flesh out the tail end a bit and polish up some of the presentation in cutscenes but overall I have loved the game.

I hope Vigil get to bring us another game starring Fury or Strife and manage to make an even better game again. This series has the potential to be absolutely brilliant.

Hindle

Banned
Between Darksiders and Darksiders II you an excellent game, what they need to do for the 3rd is work on the pacing and they could make an excellent game.

I also think there is no way they should do multiplayer yet, they are just not ready. As it stands they're close to nailing single player but if they do co op it could set them right back to square one.

For anyone on the fence, Amazon's new price for the console versions appears to be 48 bucks now. Great price for a new copy of the game.

Nome

I'm still on world 1, but what I've severely disliked about it so far is how empty the world feels. There's vast plains full of nothing but fodder, and it seems like the world is made to be large just so they can say it's "4x bigger than DS1".

There's also a really weird sense of progression. It's not like in Zelda 64, where you're confined to a space initially before you're thrust into the overworld. When you first entire Hyrule Field, you get that immense feeling of openness that you're NOT getting with DS1 because the game literally shits you into the overworld within 10-15 minutes. From there it's a lifeless trek from one dungeon to the next.

I quit playing DS2 when I got Sleeping Dogs... ended up finishing that one from start to completion and wanting more. I'm also playing on PC, so it's kind of disgusting how poor the PC port is. I'm finding it hard to go back to DS2. Does it get better?

KevinCow

Banned
I'm feeling really stupid. I've found myself stuck... which is strange, since I beat the game the first time no problem.

In the Ivory Citadel, I've completed the eastern half of the temple and gotten the water running over there. I could've sworn that's what unlocked the door to the western half. But the door isn't opening. How do I unlock it?

I'm feeling really stupid. I've found myself stuck... which is strange, since I beat the game the first time no problem.

In the Ivory Citadel, I've completed the eastern half of the temple and gotten the water running over there. I could've sworn that's what unlocked the door to the western half. But the door isn't opening. How do I unlock it?

It unlocks the second floor door of the western half. You have to do some portaling in the eastern half to get to the second floor.

Dahbomb

So, hey. Does anybody know the deal with those invisible monsters you can sometimes hear(and see their foorprints)?
Pre-order DLC side quest called Bloodless. The trainer in the 2nd world gives you the quest and the Talisman that you have to equip to see and fight these invisible enemies.

If you could adjust the FOV it'd double my enjoyment of this game. For some reason this narrow-ass console FOV bugs me in DS2 way more than in most games.

malfcn

Found a weird bug.
When you meet Uriel, and she gives you the gun, you can pull her. She starts spazzing out and slides across the screen.

Top Bottom