• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Duffyside

Banned
Game just broke on me, permanently it seems. The Wailing Host boss freezed up, didn't move and wouldn't die. I quit and reloaded (already upset that I would have to redo this fight I didn't enjoy) only to find that the gates that are supposed to keep you from getting OUT of the boss arena are STILL UP and not won't let IN.

So, I'm stuck. I've reloaded. Quit to menu. Quit to XMB. Traveled to the Forge Lands. Nothing. Can't progress, perhaps ever, unless I'm lucky enough to get a patch to address this specific situation.

NullPointer said:
Sorry to hear about that Duffy - that's a real bummer. Here's to hoping a fix is coming.

It's ok, man, because as it turns out I'M THE BEST VIDEO GAME PLAYER OF ALL TIME. Also incredibly stubborn.

After about ten minutes, if not more, of dumbly trying to dash through the gate, use the Soul Splitter to get one guy over there, and just beating on it in frustration, I figured out a way to jump over it. As soon as I did, boss came up, fight started, and got through it this time.

If anyone else gets this issue with the Wailing Boss freezing, and then the gate that bugs and and won't let you back in -- Equip gauntlets instead of hammer, jump, square square (pause) square, hold triangle. You have to do this at the sides of the gate, where there is a little bit more of a gap between it and the stone of the arena.

Go on, Vigil, try to ruin this game for me again. I dare you.

Please don't.

As someone who LOVES Bayonetta and was honestly confused when people said they had a hard time seeing the action underneath all the effects.....This game overdoes it a bit. When you have your little minions out there + crows + Death going all nuts, it's a MESS of effects and fire, and ice, and fluids, and explosions, and mess.

Also, as someone who LOVES Bayonetta and hates rolling everywhere in Zelda because Link moves at a snail's pace, I'm getting tired of Evade --> Evade --> Jump cancel --> Evade--> Evade --> Jump cancel -->etc, to get Death to speed it up. Please add a "Panther form" equivalent to Darksiders 3, Vigil.

Other than, I'm enjoying myself 17 hours in. Art and music remain fantastic. No more freezing since I've been in World 2 either.

Ambitious

Just got the
Soul Splitter
. The game's already getting pretty repetitive, everything's looking the same.. though I anticipate some nice puzzles with this item in the upcoming dungeon.

So far I've encountered two bugs: When awakening the
Warden
, the game froze. Music kept playing. On another occasion, from one second to the other most sound effects were missing. Some enemy grunts were played, but apart from them and the music, silence.

vermadas

Haven't had a lot of time to play this yet (8 hours according to Raptr), and I'm still in the first world, but I'm loving this so far.

Unfortunately, reading some of the posts in this thread has me fearing this game will turn out like Kingdoms of Amalur for me, where I gave up on the game early because I was bored. In that game it was because of poor difficulty scaling though.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Got all of the achievements this morning. That took for ev ar

And fuck the horsemen. Darksiders III needs to be centered around
Wicked K

scitek

Beat it. Took me 28 hours according to Steam. I liked it a lot, but the bosses are pretty bad for the most part. I went ahead with NG+, so I'll probably give that a go soon with SGSSAA and SSAO for the hell of it.

anyone having control problems on the ps3?

i feel like i have to press the R1 trigger very hard to dodge. battles are becoming more annoying than they should be since a lot of time the dodge doesnt work properly. picking up objects as well as any actions with O takes a few additional presses to get it working properly as well.

i thought maybe my controller was borked but it works just fine on every other game. but considering how theres no block button and dodging is iffy and slow, its getting pretty annoying.

anyone having control problems on the ps3?

i feel like i have to press the R1 trigger very hard to dodge. battles are becoming more annoying than they should be since a lot of time the dodge doesnt work properly. picking up objects as well as any actions with O takes a few additional presses to get it working properly as well.

i thought maybe my controller was borked but it works just fine on every other game. but considering how theres no block button and dodging is iffy and slow, its getting pretty annoying.

The O thing I can totally confirm. Only way to get balls rolling was tapping O twice quickly (and it wouldn't work everytime). Holding the button it doesn't work and obviously just pressing it either... Really annoying and really sloppy.

As for the dodge, are you sure you're not actually waiting for the dodge recovery animation to finish (after 3) or that you haven't been hit by some mob whose attack actually prevents you to dodge for quite a few frames ? Because that happens a lot (especially with the corrupt construct type), it's meant to be that way and has nothing with the button being slow.

ironcreed

Banned
I just beat it and felt I got my money's worth, but, combat aside, I liked the first one better.

I honestly felt like the first one was the better game on the whole as well. Mainly due to being more consistent and fully realized throughout the entire experience. Whereas with Darksiders II, the second half of the game just falls off of the cliff that you climbed in the great first half. One great half and a rushed second half, with an abrupt and disappointing final boss battle does not equal a great whole for me. *shrugs* Still had fun, though.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Keep dying before wave 75 :(

Personally I wouldn't even attempt the crucible until you've hit lvl 30, have a lvl 30 possessed weapon with health steal and possessed secondary with complimentary stats. I didn't bother doing the sticks and stones quest for new game plus but those stat bonuses couldn't hurt.

Then you can officially say fuck strategy and just steam roll those fuckers.

dorkimoe

Is anyone else having problems redeeming the Argul's Tomb code on the Darksiders website? Every time I enter it the website says the code is invalid or already in use?

thabiz

who ever thought that
earth
level was a good idea should never be able to work in video games again. Holy shit. worst. level. EVER!

Completely goes against the rest of the game. baffling game design.

The O thing I can totally confirm. Only way to get balls rolling was tapping O twice quickly (and it wouldn't work everytime). Holding the button it doesn't work and obviously just pressing it either... Really annoying and really sloppy.

As for the dodge, are you sure you're not actually waiting for the dodge recovery animation to finish (after 3) or that you haven't been hit by some mob whose attack actually prevents you to dodge for quite a few frames ? Because that happens a lot (especially with the corrupt construct type), it's meant to be that way and has nothing with the button being slow.

yeah for these balls, i have to walk around it and try a few times before i get that to work. incredibly frustrating since it happens every. single. time.

im currently trying to wake the guardian and if the dodge lag is a mob skill, then it may explain it since im fighting nothing but corrupt constructs. the dodging goes iffy for me a lot of times before any damage is done to me but now that i think about it, dodging becomes worse after i get hit a few times. ill try not getting hit and see if anything improves.

by the way, do you learn any new combat moves in this game? like how you could buy moves from vulgrim from DS1, any way to get new scythe or secondary weapon moves?

Duffyside

Banned
Confused. Didn't Vigil say there were four worlds?
Forge Lands, Land of the Dead, Lostlight, Earf, and now the Edge of Shadow? Oh, and that ice place.
I know none of them have been as big as the first two, but I can't believe how much content is in this game.

My biggest complaint going in remains by my biggest complaint now; why is this thing taking place at the same time as War? It's all the worse because they could have made basically this same exact game with very minor story tweaks that made it take place right after the first. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, thinking "maybe the War parallel will end in the first quarter of the game, or at the halfway mark at worst, and in the process we'll get a bunch more back story, blah blah blah," but I'm near the end now and they're still saying "SAVE YOUR BROTHER." I already know he's good, dudes. Not feeling the motivation.

Why didn't they just start the game from the end of the first, have a big battle with your AI-controlled brothers, have them all realize how outnumbered they are, so Death ventures off to resurrect humanity while the other three try to survive? Easy peasy.

Also disappointed in some of the story leaks. I haven't seen two of the major characters in this game still, so that means they're the end, which is anticlimactic.
Samael and Lilith.
It's a real shame because I think the world of Darksiders is fucking rad. Maybe the best concepts for a new IP this whole generation, with just some poor execution in the simplest aspect.

We'll see how it wraps up.

Personally I wouldn't even attempt the crucible until you've hit lvl 30, have a lvl 30 possessed weapon with health steal and possessed secondary with complimentary stats. I didn't bother doing the sticks and stones quest for new game plus but those stat bonuses couldn't hurt.

Heh, I'm actually thinking of leaving the Crucible until after the DLC comes out, hopefully involving more levels and equipment, so I can really steamroll those fuckers.

I wound up deciding to go on to finish the game and then attempt it with the difficulty level on easy...aaand I still fell to those damn frozen minions. >_> Maybe I'll take your advice. :p

Edit: Hahaha, got to wave 75 and died to the
Deposed King
fffff.

Micerider

Finished yesterday. Good game, yet disappointed.

I really don't like how the end has been rushed (despite having one of the best dungeon in world 3 and the best boss-fight in world 4) and it's a complete let-down to see how little the game added in terms of scenario. Sucks because it is quite obvious that the scale of the game is much more ambitious with a lot of promising stuffs.

Loved the art, liked the combats, had a few good dungeons but overall, it's a much-less consistent effort than the first game.

I'm ready to jump for a third entry, but this would really have to make a better showing and advance the story a bit more.

Finished the game. Holy hell it took a nosedive at the end. I rescind my comment about a few more months helping this game, because it clearly needed more than just a few more months.

Overall I think I liked it, and I think every thing you could individually point to is better in Darksiders II than Darksiders I, but I also think the first game was somehow a better package.

Finished the game. Holy hell it took a nosedive at the end. I rescind my comment about a few more months helping this game, because it clearly needed more than just a few more months.

Overall I think I liked it, and I think every thing you could individually point to is better in Darksiders II than Darksiders I, but I also think the first game was somehow a better package.

Agreed.

Also, this game didn't end up dethroning Dragon's Dogma as I thought initially.

Is there anyone with a PS3 copy of the game who would like to add me on SEN so I can give you a gift? (trophy related)

Send me a PM with your SEN username so I can add you, otherwise you can add me with "neogaf gift" as message.

Aside from
Earth
, World 3 was fine, I don't really care that the last two worlds aren't as expansive as the first two, if the game remained in the land of the dead I wonder how many of you would be complaining to the same extent about the tail end of the game. It was nice to get a glimpse into other parts of the universe, however brief. The only thing that disappointed me about World 4 was that the dungeon was so damn short, it's a real shame because I loved its concept.
Earth
is boring, and the final boss is something of a non-event but those are the only real problems as far as I'm concerned (along with the length of the aforementioned last dungeon).

The game most definitely needed more time in development, but overall I'm still very pleased with what Vigil delivered.

I'm about three hours in so far and it hasn't impressed me. The lack of PC options are laughable and the game doesn't look half as good as it should. The story/setting is really dull so far and I feel no sense of purpose or urgency. The dungeons are well designed, but I just feel like I'm on a pointless fetch quest after fetch quest already. The RPG stuff is really the only part I'm liking so far.

I hope it picks up. I was enjoying Darksiders a whole lot more by this point of the game.

Ricker

So I got the 10 pages of the Book Vulgrim wants and I got the item but now it tells me I need to go to the Forged Lands Tomb...?? where the hell is that again? nothing on the map that points to a Tomb...and fuck the Scar sidequest to kill the Construct, running up a wall while fire is coming up the hole,after 10 tries,I,m out of there...

So I got the 10 pages of the Book Vulgrim wants and I got the item but now it tells me I need to go to the Forged Lands Tomb...?? where the hell is that again? nothing on the map that points to a Tomb...and fuck the Scar sidequest to kill the Construct, running up a wall while fire is coming up the hole,after 10 tries,I,m out of there...
That one threw me for a loop too. But luckily all of Vulgim's dungeons have easy to recognize doors.

This is what you're looking for.

ibcUDPw0aPmX8p.jpg

MMaRsu

Uhm i cant get to the third world? Where is the portal? Im at the DT next to the waypoint and there is no portal..wtf?

Ps3 version.... dont wanna stop now!

Hindle

Banned
Finished it today, overall I'd give it an 8.

I preferred the pacing and story in I but II has the better dungeons IMO. City of the Dead and Ivory Citadel were just awesome. The black throne wasn't that bad either. They need to get rid of side quests and focus on the main dungeons as well.

Storywise it was a bit crap, and please no more fetch quests.

Jhoan

Just got the LE version yesterday along with Sleeping Dogs, Toy Story 3, and RAGE from the Toys R' Us Sale. I'm playing it right now; about 2 hours in or so;
I just got the gun and I'm going for the tears forge thing.
It's a hell of a lot quicker than DS1 and there's loot and quests. Plus it's a lot more open than DS1 as far as I remember. It's nice to hear some familiar faces and names as well as see some of them.

Visually, there's a lot more variety; I really loved that ice place in the beginning. It reminds me of PoP which is a good thing. I took of the damage number indicator because I heard it's very distracting. I'm playing on Apocalyptic which I beat on in DS1, so it's definitely doable and not frustrating. There's too many to go through though which is pretty cumbersome.

Otherwise, I'm loving it. Jesper Kyd's soundtrack is amazing as always no matter what game he makes the music for. The game picks up as fast, if not faster than DS1 early part does.

witness

Got the LE today, signed up for a account with THQ using the Facebook login and used the Tomb code and everything was fine. Now I start the game on my PS3 and I can't login. No idea what that password would be because I created it with my facebook login, so I sent THQ a support form. Anyway, I'm still playing though the original Darksiders so maybe its for the best that I have to wait for a bit.

How spoilerific is it to go ahead and do play throughs at the same time?

World 3 (
__________Earth
) is singlehandedly making the case for me not to start New Game+ when I'm finished. What the Christ is this? No, Darksiders II, NO. BAD GAME. STOP IT. Do what you were doing before and stop this nonsense.

Got the LE today, signed up for a account with THQ using the Facebook login and used the Tomb code and everything was fine. Now I start the game on my PS3 and I can't login. No idea what that password would be because I created it with my facebook login, so I sent THQ a support form. Anyway, I'm still playing though the original Darksiders so maybe its for the best that I have to wait for a bit.

How spoilerific is it to go ahead and do play throughs at the same time?

Darksiders II wont spoil anything. People will occasionally tell you that they are not happy with the thing War supposedly did, but that's pretty much it.

Top Bottom