• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Abylim

Havent posted forawhile here, but lol at the amount of friend requests I got for my Scythes. I turned my ps3 on and had 7 friend requests one night, all asking for it. I think I'm upto 11 just from this thread.

Happy to help, keep em coming lol

Man... I'm really enjoying Darksiders II, but there are some weird bugs that I'm not happy about:

• Losing ALL sound effects and music and voice when first entering
    Earth
    , so I restarted the game and everything was OK.
  • After returning from
    Earth with the rod
    the main quest event didn't trigger itself! Even after restarting the game! So I had to approach it differently for it to start, and by that I mean going to the nearest travel point and reaching the target backwards.
  • Some blocked doors didn't allowed me going through them even after unlocking them.
  • At the beginning of a dungeon, there was a puzzle regarding a ball being hold by a statue. The ball was already on the floor when I got there. Didn't ruin my playthrough but that's a very dangerous bug!
  • Possessed items labels sell by Vulgrim are being showed with there code variable name.

And that's all the bugs I've lived in my playthrough so far!

I'm really taking a long time though playing it, but maybe it is because I do enjoy exploring, riding, sidequesting and most of all, because I started playing it on HARD for my first playthrough. It is really difficult but it is rewarding!

The only thing that is really a missed opportunity, like most people here have said, is that the main story is almost null. Vigil didn't focus too much on it, and throughout the game, you have a lot of fetch quest that a character such as DEATH shouldn't be doing, and the motivation for those quests are a little weak.

I'm almost near the end of the game (I guess), and I have really enjoyed the art style, the graphics, the gameplay and SPECIALLY THE MUSIC!

Please let there be a Darksiders III! But take notice from our humble opinions VIGIL!

4 dungeons down now and this game is so... bland. All of the parts should create an exciting game but it's so lifeless. So... safe. Nothing about it is interesting or exciting. It's well designed, but dull.

Ambitious

What I hate the most is that if you go through your inventory to check if you've perchance got a better weapon/armor, the stats only show absolute values instead of the difference to your current equipment. So you always have to go back and forth between the current item and the others to compare all stats and ponder if it's worth to switch.

By the way, the Zero Punctuaction review of DS2 is now online: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=videos

malfcn

Do dungeons reset? I am wondering if I can run around and do other stuff and have the Spark of Life quest fix itself.

Ricker

Do dungeons reset? I am wondering if I can run around and do other stuff and have the Spark of Life quest fix itself.

They dont reset..maybe some minor mob re-appear,not sure,but everything else is like you left it...

Just found my first possessed weapon in Phariseer's....some Armguards I believe,raising it up now,they are fast as hell.

daedalius

Playing through my NG+, but I really wish worlds 3&4 were as awesome as 1&2.

The game definitely plays better, but I think I liked some of the stuff you do in DS1 a bit better; also the final boss in DS1 is unquestionably better, and the 'ending' is unfathomably more epic.

Just finished the game! (Took me 40 hours)

Awesome ride, but it has it's hiccups:

1 - Story could have been exploited further, and even wider, since throughout most of the game the only thing you know are that you need to save War and in order to do that you need to fetch quests. At the beginning the Nephilim are introduced, but they were a lost opportunity. Vigil needs to make a more compelling, attractive and epic story for Darksiders 3 and get the players eager to advance deeper in the game for it.

2 - Game bugs. I mean, I had a couple and thankfully not game breaking, but next time (or even, next patch) please don't let this kind of bugs slip through your QA tests ok!

But then again, the game has it's high points:

1 - Art style. GREAT art style! There were a lot of times were I stopped and watch the scenery, the background, the walls, the sky, the colors, the depth... everything! Even though some of it is repeated, it still is impressive and the way sometimes the game manages to look like a comic book is unbelievable.

2 - The music. EPIC OST. If you guys get one thing perfect was the music in this game. It gives you a sense of immersion in the levels, in the boss fights, and everywhere!

3 - The voice acting. Incredible! Every character sounded great, and matched perfectly with it voice!

4 - Gameplay. Personally I enjoy the gameplay a lot! On HARD (or Apocaliptic) the game is really challenging and you really need to use everything that Death has to offer. But it felt great being able to grab a dude and kick his ass with awesome moves and special abilities easily.

And then there are some middle points, where I think the game could've been better but it wasn't bad at all:

1 - Boss Fights. Some are great and some are not that great. The worst one was the last one!

2 - Dungeons. They're great overall, but the puzzles are fairly easy.

3 - Sidequests. Some are great and some are tedious.

Anyway, without spoiling the game further, the ending was a bit inconclusive and felt rushed. I'm only hoping that the DLC makes the ending right but games shouldn't wait for DLC to get proper conclusions (nor sequels). And the last boss fight was disappointing in every way (except maybe graphically). I was expecting at least more background story and conflict between both, but they throw it at you almost like a Street Fighter match!

I LOVED the game and it's scope, but it can be better! I hope for Darksiders III they get all this little things noted and polish them to have a better experience.

Keep it up Vigil, I'm really enjoying this game, but PLEASE don't let game breaking bugs slip again!

I'm just about to start and was wondering, is Normal difficulty too easy or just right? Should I start on Apocalyptic instead? I don't want the game to be a joke but I don't want to be pulling my hair out and miserable either...

malfcn

Pissed. Because that dungeon is broken, I have to replay the whole game and hope it isn't borked next time. That also means all my collectables will be gone too. Almost makes me not want to play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm just about to start and was wondering, is Normal difficulty too easy or just right? Should I start on Apocalyptic instead? I don't want the game to be a joke but I don't want to be pulling my hair out and miserable either...

Start on Apocalyptic. Aside from the odd occasion, I'm not finding it particularly difficult at all, and I'm hardly a shining example of how one should be playing the game.

Pissed. Because that dungeon is broken, I have to replay the whole game and hope it isn't borked next time. That also means all my collectables will be gone too. Almost makes me not want to play.

Try Fast travelling outside the dungeon and re-entering through "the main door", or maybe restarting the game, or travel outside and then back in to the same spot and maybe it'll work!

I had to do the first two a couple of times to make some things work and thankfully it worked!

I hope this helps, because if not... that really sucks!

malfcn

Try Fast travelling outside the dungeon and re-entering through "the main door", or maybe restarting the game, or travel outside and then back in to the same spot and maybe it'll work!

I had to do the first two a couple of times to make some things work and thankfully it worked!

I hope this helps, because if not... that really sucks!

I found out too late. You can try deleting saves (as the game makes a few) and "reloading" but I messed around too much and created a few bad saves. To rolling back now.

Okay, just started, some annoyances:

You can invert the Y axis but not the X? Why would this make sense to anyone...

How the hell do you control the camera in battle? Is there a lock on or a way to quickly return the camera to behind you?

What the hell is with the whole not being able to use the D-pad for any menus? It's really quite a strange feeling.

I tried normal and felt it was too easy for me. I then started the game on Apocaliptic and found it challenging, although I have to admit there were times I did get frustrated because of too many foes on screen at the same time, but that just makes you get better in skill.

I guess it would've been a faster and less rewarding experience on Normal, but less frustrating some times. I do encourage you to try Apocaliptic, and if you find it too hard you can always change back to Normal within your playthrough.

Okay, just started, some annoyances:

You can invert the Y axis but not the X? Why would this make sense to anyone...

How the hell do you control the camera in battle? Is there a lock on or a way to quickly return the camera to behind you?

What the hell is with the whole not being able to use the D-pad for any menus? It's really quite a strange feeling.

If you want to lock on an enemy just press the Left Trigger (L2), and then to sort through the enemies on screen, you do it (while locked on) with the right stick.

It's a bit cumbersome but it gets the job done.

And personally, sometimes I fought without Locking on for ease of movement.

BTW, leave the tutorial popups active because they teach you almost all this stuff. They're a bit annoying but helpful though.

im at the gilded arena doing some collectathon and god damn i am bored

its a gorgeous game but the city of the dead, especially in this section, is so fucking boring and bland. every section looks the same, and the lack of colors makes me sleepy

where is everyone experiencing the game breaking bug? anyone know how to avoid it?

Just finished the main story on Apocalyptic. Overall not too hard except some arena-type fights with annoying monsters.

I still need to complete all sidequests before going in NG+.

The game was really great from start to finish but man, those glitches are way too frequent...freezes, scripts not executing - resulting in NPCs not reacting or invisible walls, sound stopping for no reason, etc...
They really did not test the game much, must be a time problem because you can clearly see those problems without doing much to cause them. I'm glad no glitch proved to break my game indefinitely and that restarting was enough to bypass them, but come on, it's stressful :(

And I don't know why but my boatman coins count in the stats screen is 4 coins higher than my actual amount ingame, and I didn't use them at all so it's a bit of a mystery as of why it's doing that. I just hope it won't lock those 4 coins and still let me pick them up. Don't care about the stats screen showing 104 but I want to see 100 coins ingame., not 96.

malfcn

So, if I beat it on Apocalyptic the first time..can I just NG+ easy mode and get sweet Possessed weapons and dominate everything? That way I can get lvl30, and redo all the side quests.

Well, I finally just finished the first Darksiders and now I'm about to dive right into II. Quick questions before I do so: are the loot drops better on Apocalyptic? And is there an ETA on the PS3 patch? I might just wait to start if it's soon.

malfcn

7 hours in, 2nd world, no possessed weapons yet. am I doin something wrong ?

It's so weird. I got a shit ton the fist couple of hours through lvl 15 or so. Then no more. I think after I feed them to each other or sold them I found around 10.

Okay so I keep seeing these blue glowy things up in corners and such that I can't reach. They seem to make a humming noise whenever I'm near. Am I supposed to be worried about these yet, or am I not able to get them until I get something else?

jred2k

Would anyone mind letting me add them as a friend on Xbox Live? The last achievement I need to get is for sending someone an item and none of my friends picked this up.

Thanks.

Dahbomb

Okay so I keep seeing these blue glowy things up in corners and such that I can't reach. They seem to make a humming noise whenever I'm near. Am I supposed to be worried about these yet, or am I not able to get them until I get something else?
You are supposed to shoot them after you discover the side quest related to it.

Would anyone mind letting me add them as a friend on Xbox Live? The last achievement I need to get is for sending someone an item and none of my friends picked this up.

Thanks.
I think you can send one to someone whether they have the game or not. If I'm wrong feel free to add me, my gamertag is my GAF name.

Why in the bloody hell are the zombies on earth so damn powerful?

I haven't had any problems with any enemies (or bosses) up to this point, and these guys are just peeling my health off.

Also, whats the best strategy for the massive, four-armed dudes on earth? Cause I try dodging, and he seems to hit me no matter what. I've just been going into Spectre mode and mashing away but it seems like a skillless solution.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I haven't had any problems with any enemies (or bosses) up to this point, and these guys are just peeling my health off.

Also, whats the best strategy for the massive, four-armed dudes on earth? Cause I try dodging, and he seems to hit me no matter what. I've just been going into Spectre mode and mashing away but it seems like a skillless solution.

fucking shoot them in the face non-stop til dead

Why in the bloody hell are the
zombies
on
_______earth
so damn powerful?

Also, whats the best strategy for the massive, four-armed dudes on
_____earth
? Cause I try dodging, and he seems to hit me no matter what. I've just been going into Spectre mode and mashing away but it seems like a skillless solution.

Because it's not bad enough that the level is terrible, but the enemies had to be as well.

Xanathus

ALL of the enemies on earth force you to use those guns because melee attacks don't stun them at all. Yes it's an amazingly terrible section that should have been cut out of the game.

MMaRsu

im at the gilded arena doing some collectathon and god damn i am bored

its a gorgeous game but the city of the dead, especially in this section, is so fucking boring and bland. every section looks the same, and the lack of colors makes me sleepy

where is everyone experiencing the game breaking bug? anyone know how to avoid it?
I got a game breaking bug after finishing rhe second world there is no portal to the third world.

Just started. Currently in the Cauldron. Enjoying the gameplay, but where have all the wonderfully animated cutscenes gone? So far all the conversations are just talking heads with canned emote animations :(

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how are you supposed to use Wrath abilities when you're locked on, if they are mapped to left trigger and left button? Those buttons are too close together for me to use comfortably.

Man, Zero Punctuation's review sums up my thoughts on this game. It's not great. It's enjoyable at times, but a lot of times I just don't care about what I'm doing. I'm currently in the Land of the Dead getting 3 of 3 of 3 items, and enemies are either pushovers or a bitch to kill, there's no middle ground. I want to explore the world, finding stonebites and relics and so on because they make you look in places you wouldn't think, but for the love of god Vigil, put in a frickin' collectible finder, especially with a game as big as DSII. It worked great in the original Darksiders!

The combat is fun, though using special moves is janky and I just tend to ignore them. The game is DMC/Bayonetta-esque, but doesn't quite have the flow of those games. I haven't had any glitches yet that I've noticed, so that's good. I wish there was more to the story because I like the idea behind the game, but I would like it explained a little more why I'm every realm's errand-boy. I'm Death dammit! Oh, but wait, I'm really just named Death, not really the Grim Reaper himself. There are still dead lords I have to fetch shit for, and no one in the Land of the Dead acknowledges that I'm Death.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how are you supposed to use Wrath abilities when you're locked on, if they are mapped to left trigger and left button? Those buttons are too close together for me to use comfortably.

You can't, unless you're pretty good with using 2 fingers on the trigger buttons.

RPG

I got a game breaking bug after finishing rhe second world there is no portal to the third world.

Had the same thing happen to me. Initially I traveled to the tree on foot and thought I was stuck w/ no portal. Then I used 'Fast Travel' to the tree and the cutscene that is supposed to play started up.

So I'm 5 hours in and I've just reached the Tree of Life. It still feels so aimless, like I'm an errand boy and that the entire game is just going to dangle a carrot in front of my face for no good reason.

This game is the perfect example of how padding, pointless quests and no real goal can absolute rape an experience.

Aklamarth

Foliorum Viridum said:
This game is the perfect example of how padding, pointless quests and no real goal can absolute rape an experience.

Yeap. I finished the game and this sums it up perfectly. I'll take a tight, no padding , good story 7-8h game (like the first) over this mess any day of the week.
What the fuck were you thinking Vigil ? We're interested in this because the first one was such a great game.....we don't want shitty Diablo in 3rd person !!

Yeap. I finished the game and this sums it up perfectly. I'll take a tight, no padding , good story 7-8h game (like the first) over this mess any day of the week.
What the fuck were you thinking Vigil ? We're interested in this because the first one was such a great game.....we don't want shitty Diablo in 3rd person !!
I thought the fetch quest at the end of the first game was bad pacing. I'd take that over this any day.

Since I just reached the Tree of Life 5 hours in, am I really looking at another 20 hours? The 25hr number being thrown around scares me. I can't imagine playing this for more than another... 10 or so hours at the moment. I'm playing on easy, so I hope I can get through it faster than the average GAFer.

So I'm 5 hours in and I've just reached the Tree of Life. It still feels so aimless, like I'm an errand boy and that the entire game is just going to dangle a carrot in front of my face for no good reason.

I'm just past you and I feel exactly the same way. In fact it gets worse from where you are. Going to a guy, he tells you to go get three things, than one of the guys with the three things tells you he needs three things. Even main lining the story quest and ignoring side missions doesn't really help.

I loved the first game but I'm struggling through this one.

So should I just sell everything I don't have equipped, or is there any reason to hold on to stuff? I know there are possessed weapons and you can feed other weapons into them, so should I save everything for that? Can you just feed everything you get into the possessed weapons or is there some kind of limit?

Top Bottom