• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

RPGCrazied

The whole game should've stayed in World 2. More dungeons, whatever, but for me it was the best environment of the whole game.

KevinCow

Banned
Darksiders II wont spoil anything. People will occasionally tell you that they are not happy with the thing War supposedly did, but that's pretty much it.

There's a sidequest that spoils a big twist from the first game. And the ending kinda spoils the ending to the first game.

I just say finish the first game first.

IHaveIce

Banned
There's a sidequest that spoils a big twist from the first game. And the ending kinda spoils the ending to the first game.

I just say finish the first game first.

lol "kinda"

Finished it, after World 3 and 4 I'm not sure if I want to do NG+ or finish the sidequests, these worlds just ruined all the fun for me and they had potential.

World 4.. 2 of the best and most interesting Darksiders characters are in it .. and hm.

I hope we get Darksiders 3 with the focus on these persons.

World 1 and 2 were awesome, but if the worlds 3 and 4 were this big with that many dungeons and quests they would have kicked ass

Dahbomb

World 4 is singlehandedly making the case for me not to start New Game+ when I'm finished. What the Christ is this? No, Darksiders II, NO. BAD GAME. STOP IT. Do what you were doing before and stop this nonsense.
World (the one before the final boss) is pretty awesome. Short but sweet.

Are you talking about
______________EARTH?
Because this part is very unfun. Pacing has gone out the window in favor of hordes of annoying enemies plus a gimmick I never wanted from this game. Not a fan whatsoever. World 2 was great but this has turned kinda ugly.

Are you talking about
______________EARTH?
Because this part is very unfun. Pacing has gone out the window in favor of hordes of annoying enemies plus a gimmick I never wanted from this game. Not a fan whatsoever. World 2 was great but this has turned kinda ugly.
I thought that was world 3.

I hated that level as well.

Finished this up over the weekend. I honestly didn't have any problems with the pacing, I had an absolute blast from start to finish. This game is probably my front-runner for GOTY at the moment.

IHaveIce

Banned

The art style is awesome and the theme for it as well ( the boss is probably the best in the game ) but I didn't even like the one dungeon. The "puzzles" were lame and I don't know.

Hope the DLC will be bad ass.

Jharp

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I'm just wrapping up world 2, the Kingdom of the Dead, and... did anyone else find it tonally and narratively odd that no mention whatsoever is made about who Death is? He's goddamn Death! It's the Kingdom of the Dead! No? Nothing? Nadda? Am I supposed to believe that if a judge walked into a prison where every single inmate had been sentenced by him, no one, not the inmates, guards, warden, or anyone else would make a single mention of that fact?

What the hell? Why does everyone treat him like another peon on some quest? I mean, sure, he is just another peon on some quest, but he's also the entire goddamn reason that the kingdom of the dead exists, presumably. Did I miss something?

It was just weird. I'm genuinely enjoying the game's not-to-serious comic booky story, but that one bit really gnawed at my perception of the narrative.

Whoever thought the
_______Earth
level was a bright idea needs a good talking to. Momentum and replay killer IMO. It's made even worse since the game goes back to being fun in the very next area and I'm sitting here wondering "Why would they do that to me?"

Alright, I'm done complaining about it. Needed to vent one more time. It's so bad.

Whoever thought the
_______Earth
level was a bright idea needs a good talking to. Momentum and replay killer IMO. It's made even worse since the game goes back to being fun in the very next area and I'm sitting here wondering "Why would they do that to me?"

Alright, I'm done complaining about it. Needed to vent one more time. It's so bad.

It's funny, I came across 3 glitches on the
_______Earth
level. Twice, some doors didn't open and I had to restart the game.

Then when I walked across a bone bridge or something. Then I went around a corner in a building and the world just wasn't there... all blank and nothingness. I wanted to see if the collision or walls were still there so I jumped in but NUP no floors. 999999999 damage death for that one.

On PC. I'm now assuming that someone forced this level into the game.

Ricker

Phew,finally was able to teleport out of the Scar...there is one room in there with about 6 small construct that spawn,then 6 more with the added sewer spouting fire from them,then there is 3 of those bigger construck that appear...I guess I am too low at level 14 for this shit hehe so I headed to Vulgrim's cache place for the first 10 page reward,very nice room lol...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm so I bought a legendary loot box from Vulgrim turns out I was out of space for secondary weapons so it did not appear in my inventory or anything such a waste of 50k gold and 20 tokens :(

NekoFever

What's this side quest that ties in with the first game?
It's called The Lost Soul. You get it from
Nathaniel
when you first go to
Lostlight
. It's a really minor quest (no dungeons, combat, etc) that will probably just confuse people who haven't played the first one, but goes on to spoil the major twist at the end.

Phew,finally was able to teleport out of the Scar...there is one room in there with about 6 small construct that spawn,then 6 more with the added sewer spouting fire from them,then there is 3 of those bigger construck that appear...I guess I am too low at level 14 for this shit hehe so I headed to Vulgrim's cache place for the first 10 page reward,very nice room lol...
That room nearly got me too. It became apparent halfway through that dungeon that I wasn't nearly strong enough and that room took me so long. I didn't die but I went through all my health potions and spent half of it running away and shooting. And every time you think you've done it, it throws more enemies and environmental hazards at you!

Kunohara

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I'm just wrapping up world 2, the Kingdom of the Dead, and... did anyone else find it tonally and narratively odd that no mention whatsoever is made about who Death is? He's goddamn Death! It's the Kingdom of the Dead! No? Nothing? Nadda? Am I supposed to believe that if a judge walked into a prison where every single inmate had been sentenced by him, no one, not the inmates, guards, warden, or anyone else would make a single mention of that fact?

What the hell? Why does everyone treat him like another peon on some quest? I mean, sure, he is just another peon on some quest, but he's also the entire goddamn reason that the kingdom of the dead exists, presumably. Did I miss something?

It was just weird. I'm genuinely enjoying the game's not-to-serious comic booky story, but that one bit really gnawed at my perception of the narrative.

Yeah, I actually just finished that part as well, and that confused me as well. When he first goes there, and he asks "what is this place?" What do you mean what is this place? You're fucking Death. Shouldn't you know what this place is?

Mohonky

Speaking of the Kingdom of the Dead I have to vent. I like this game I do, and I loved the original, but holy fuck was I close to done with this game during Kingdom of the Dead.

Yes, I get it, KotD, there is lots of death there and shit, and skulls are kind of the icon of death yes but does everything fucking wall, rock, door, painting, floor, tower, bridge etc etc have to have fucking skulls on it? Seriously? At no point during the entirety of the entire fucking time spent in that place could you have taken a single screenshot and not have found hundreds of skulls on it. It's mental.

"Hey Jim we need something here, this looks a bit plain....." "Why don't you throw some skulls on it? Nah make it two...nah actually put a dozen of them on there".......every...single....fucking...object. Holy crap was I tired of seeing skulls by the end of that world.

My other vent; Death needs to be able to run or something because he moves way to slow for the size of the dungeons. The sheer size of the dungeons at times left me annoyed at how slow Death ran. He traverses gaps and acrobatics rather swiftly but then slows to a goddamn crawl when running about. This also goes for the horse. Give that thing a sprint button, I'd rather the dash button did no damage but was infinite.

Thirdly fast travel. Lemme fast travel between worlds, going back to tree of life, load, go through tree of life, load, fast travel to where I need to be, load, etc etc Annoying.

Lastly, I think I am suffering from Darksiders 2 burnout despite not finishing the game yet. The game need the end seems to be dragging on a bit (KotD really pushed my boundaries and I think it's mostly the reason I am burnt out now). Ever since the Forge lands, the games been fairly monochrome and the buildings and surroundings very very samey. Either change it up or wrap it up because I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck in some sort of weird nightmare I can't get out of.

CAVE343

I'm about to enter the Lost Temple at level 8 and haven't found any possessed weapon yet and I'm craving for a set of possessed scythes.

Is it normal that I haven't found one yet or am I just very unlucky?

The short answer is that Darksiders takes a lot of liberties with the Four Horsemen myth. In this universe, Death is not the literal incarnation of death that goes around personally taking every soul in the universe to the afterlife. The horsemen are not gods, they are just very powerful creatures whose sole purpose (at this point) is to enforce the balance for the Council.

That's my understanding of it anyways and I could see the confusion since Darksiders 1 doesn't really elaborate on the origins of the horsemen at all. I've only played in to World 2 of D2 and I haven't read the comic or anything though so perhaps it's elaborated on more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
yeah he says quick get to the tree

FUCK

I am standing right in front of it. Fuck this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try going to the first world, and see if it fixes it. All the hubs are connected in all of the zone

The short answer is that Darksiders takes a lot of liberties with the Four Horsemen myth. In this universe, Death is not the literal incarnation of death that goes around personally taking every soul in the universe to the afterlife. The horsemen are not gods, they are just very powerful creatures whose sole purpose (at this point) is to enforce the balance for the Council.

That's my understanding of it anyways and I could see the confusion since Darksiders 1 doesn't really elaborate on the origins of the horsemen at all. I've only played in to World 2 of D2 and I haven't read the comic or anything though so perhaps it's elaborated on more.
You got the right idea. They are not gods just very powerful. Actually the lord of the dead is more powerful than death in the game.

The way the horsemen work is, If they are working for the concil they become demi-gods in power as they buff the shit out of them for their task. If they do things on their own they are just normal nephlim. The prequel comic explains that death is doing everything in this game behind the councils back.

This is why in DS1 samauel has to help war unlock abilities again as war never really unlocked them to begin with.

Just picked up the game and played for an hour. Does the camera suck or is it just me? I don't remember the first being this bad but maybe it was. I can't see shit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am using the L trigger.

Hindle

Banned
Try going to the first world, and see if it fixes it. All the hubs are connected in all of the zone

You got the right idea. They are not gods just very powerful. Actually the lord of the dead is more powerful than death in the game.

The way the horsemen work is, If they are working for the concil they become demi-gods in power as they buff the shit out of them for their task. If they do things on their own they are just normal nephlim. The prequel comic explains that death is doing everything in this game behind the councils back.

This is why in DS1 samauel has to help war unlock abilities again as war never really unlocked them to begin with.

What do you think will happen story wise in Darksiders III?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just picked up the game and played for an hour. Does the camera suck or is it just me? I don't remember the first being this bad but maybe it was. I can't see shit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am using the L trigger.

Dont' lock on that often. It's pretty much the same camera as part 1 it's just that death is so much faster and there are more enemies in this than ds1 so it handles it really badly

What do you think will happen story wise in Darksiders III?
They visit mom for the holidays and bake cookies.

I have no clue it will probably be strife and a legit sequel unless they want to explain why Strife got owned and lost his weapons. Actually from the looks of things all the horsemen die before the seal is broken at the end of 1

NekoFever

Spoilers for what I believe is the last dungeon.

Are the enemies in The Black Stone meant to be much tougher than any before in the main quest? I haven't really had problems with any of the enemies and bosses, but the Legion Champions and Maelstroms kick my ass, and they always seem to turn up in groups.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Spoilers for what I believe is the last dungeon.

Are the enemies in The Black Stone meant to be much tougher than any before in the main quest? I haven't really had problems with any of the enemies and bosses, but the Legion Champions and Maelstroms kick my ass, and they always seem to turn up in groups.

Yes, same as DS1

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished City of the Dead. Big difference in quality over the earlier dungeons in this world that often felt like filler. I've entered world 3 and I'm ready to finish this tbh. It's been fun, but it's dragging on a bit. Hopefully the other worlds are as short as you guys are saying

Anyone else crashing like mad in the Arbiter's Maze? PC version here. I can progress through the game with no problem
(just reached Black Stone in fact)
and have had one small crash in nearly 30 hours of gameplay. I started doing my Arbiter's run last night and fuck if I didn't crash every 10 minutes. I made it to level 6 and I just can't make it past the first portal without the game locking up and crashing to the desktop.:/

Lothars

I prefered the game over Darksiders 1 just for the fact I really like how Death Fights, I really liked Darksiders 1 but I do think darksiders 2 is a better game.

I do have one question though is there anyway to start a new game plus without having to fight the last boss again?

Ricker

No,it sucks,especially since it's readjusts by itself constantly,if I want to run looking at the sky,let me look at it lol...wait till you fight some gigantic Bosses...this is my only beef with the game so far...

malfcn

Samael
was easier today after a rest. His fire damage is ridic though.

I gotta say it, back the combat is kind of jank. You lock on to enemies and the game attacks the wrong guy, or it locks on to no threat. Or, even better the camera freaks out and you can't see anything.

malfcn

The scripted boss events get annoying too. Just used Reaper on a boss and started dealing 0 damage because I had to quick-time him. By the time I got out of Reaper, he regained all his health. Now I know not to kick his ass too much..

LOL that was the end boss?

malfcn

Can I mention the controls are kind of jank for traversal? I am holding left and Death either runs right, or straight up. C'mon guys.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The lock on should be used VERY sparingly. Limit it to single encounters, sub bosses and some larger bosses.

Honestly, I preferred having the lock on most of the time. The default camera usually sticks you with a bad angle that's pointed at the wall most of the time. If you're locked on and moving around enough you get a better idea of your total surroundings since the camera angle constantly changes.

Sober

I prefered the game over Darksiders 1 just for the fact I really like how Death Fights, I really liked Darksiders 1 but I do think darksiders 2 is a better game.

I do have one question though is there anyway to start a new game plus without having to fight the last boss again?
The last boss fight is like only 5 minutes long, maybe another 5 when you have the cutscenes on top of it.

Top Bottom