• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

I'm just past you and I feel exactly the same way. In fact it gets worse from where you are. Going to a guy, he tells you to go get three things, than one of the guys with the three things tells you he needs three things. Even main lining the story quest and ignoring side missions doesn't really help.

I loved the first game but I'm struggling through this one.

Eurgh! It really sucks.

I'm someone who doesn't see the point in playing games if I'm not enjoying them but I don't flat out dislike this game. The dungeons are decent, the combat is improved, the loot system is mildly interesting. I'm not mind numbingly bored, but the lack of motivation with the quests/story just leaves the entire experience feeling too plain. I'm liking enough to keep playing, but then at the back of my mind I'm left wondering why if it's not going to improve the aspects I hate.

I had such high hopes for this game after the original too. That was such a surprising little gem. It boggles my mind this has so many huge flaws that could have easily been avoided.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished. Took me 29 hours, every non-collectathon sidequest included. Without any in-game tracking the collect quests are insane and not worth the effort. Only thing I'm still curious about are the
gnomes
, after I get those I'm done.

Highlight of the game is the first world, after that it's just a very long and uneven road to the end. They keep throwing forgettable dungeons at you til the impressive City of the Dead. Too bad this is followed by the terribad
Earth
section. At this point the game turns into bargain bin shovelware for a while.

carlos

Dang, haters out in full force...
Anyway, the patch for xbox and ps3 will be out less than 48 hours, good news hopefully for those that are stuck at a glitch.

Ricker

Dang, haters out in full force...
Anyway, the patch for xbox and ps3 will be out less than 48 hours, good news hopefully for those that are stuck at a glitch.

I just got a 3 MB patch on the 360 a few minutes ago...there is another one coming?

I think I understand where the hate is coming from, but I'm really enjoying this game thus far, it's right up my alley. There are definitely a number of glaring issues, but for the most part this is exactly what I wanted after Darksiders uno.

The hate is very justified, padding is a big detriment to a game, but I still enjoyed this a lot despite that, but I wouldn't replay it.

NekoFever

Finished it.

I thought it was great overall.
It was clear that the latter parts of the game were rushed and it never quite manages to hit the highs of the first two worlds, but apart from Earth, which was irredeemably awful, the dungeons were excellent and I never really got tired of the combat or exploration. What also would have been nice would have been a better way to fast travel around the entire game world, because handing in side quests in different worlds got laborious at the end there.

The ending itself was slightly disappointing, mind. The last boss was a cakewalk compared to Samael, and then it just seems to end, with no advancement on the events at the end of Darksiders. They pretty much end in the exact same place, only here it's made doubly disappointing in that it's just narrated and you don't see it happen. Oh well. Hopefully this does well enough to get Darksiders III so that we can see all four horsemen in action.

Solid 8/10.

i am so fucking bored. i thought the first dead lord thing was cool but the novelty of using him to do shit for you wore off really quick. now i have to get more of them and im at a new dungeon that looks exactly like the last 3 dungeons ive been to. every area looks the same. and im not even halfway done with the game? :| im really about to just trade this off and youtube it like i did for the last game. what a fucking disappointment.

i absolutely love the writing in this game and hearing deaths banter is funny. cutscenes are pretty much the only reason im still playing as those are done exceptionally. however, his character is so bitchmade. i agree with every poster thats pissed off about death in the underworld. hes not the grim reaper but hes just called that, and no one knows who he is or gives a shit about him. this big bad horseman just suddenly became a super powerful errand boy. it just feels so damn pointless.

the purple claw power should have been some sort of innate power up. i hate using up an item slot with this and having to switch wrath stuff mid battles. why not just trigger R2 when youre by a hook or something?

I got a game breaking bug after finishing rhe second world there is no portal to the third world.

damn, okay ill keep this in mind.

NekoFever

the purple claw power should have been some sort of innate power up. i hate using up an item slot with this and having to switch wrath stuff mid battles. why not just trigger R2 when youre by a hook or something?
It does. The only time you have to manually switch to it is if you want to aim and grab something like a bomb or use it in combat. Any time you're jumping and there's a purple hook it'll automatically prompt you to hit RT/R2.

It does. The only time you have to manually switch to it is if you want to aim and grab something like a bomb or use it in combat. Any time you're jumping and there's a purple hook it'll automatically prompt you to his RT/R2.

now i feel pretty stupid. this is good news, thanks.

Dartastic

Just decided to pick it up, mostly because I could get it cheap and I didn't feel like waiting anymore for the Wii U version because I have nothing else to play right now. Game is WAY better than the first one, it's not even funny. About an hour and a half in right now, just met Pup. How longish should it take me to complete the main quest?

ironcreed

Banned
Just decided to pick it up, mostly because I could get it cheap and I didn't feel like waiting anymore for the Wii U version because I have nothing else to play right now. Game is WAY better than the first one, it's not even funny. About an hour and a half in right now, just met Pup. How longish should it take me to complete the main quest?

That is how I initially felt as well... then came the second part of the game starting with the third world. You may enjoy it, though. Have fun. Oh, and probably around 22 hours or so.

Duffyside

Banned
Finished.

Pretty upset with what Vigil did with
Lilith. She
started off as the awesome mastermind of the whole thing, just causing shit for the hell of it, or maybe has a sinister plan in the end, but doing it all from the shadows, no one aware of how powerful or clever or sinister they really are. In seeing
Lilith
emerge from the lava, and getting a look at the design, I was really impressed in all ways that they were the real villain. I thought it was interesting, and sort of fresh.
Lilith
was seemingly manipulative, clever, mischievous, and mysterious... no one knows what they were really up to.

Now, after the credits,
she's just some pain-slave-slut for some other dude in the shadows?
BORING.

NekoFever

Took me 21 hours. That's doing all but one of the side dungeons and only bothering with the BOTD pages when it comes to collectables.

Dahbomb

Finished.

Pretty upset with what Vigil did with
Lilith. She
started off as the awesome mastermind of the whole thing, just causing shit for the hell of it, or maybe has a sinister plan in the end, but doing it all from the shadows, no one aware of how powerful or clever or sinister they really are. In seeing
Lilith
emerge from the lava, and getting a look at the design, I was really impressed in all ways that they were the real villain. I thought it was interesting, and sort of fresh.
Lilith
was seemingly manipulative, clever, mischievous, and mysterious... no one knows what they were really up to.

Now, after the credits,
she's just some pain-slave-slut for some other dude in the shadows?
BORING.
It makes more sense when you realize who the dude in the shadow really is...

Lilith in pretty much any form of adaptation has been a slave for that one dude. Even the new DmC game is putting a spin on that.

So for possessed weapons...

Can you level them up past your current level and still equip them? Or can you only keep them at the level you are at?

How does the whole leveling up thing work? Are you able to attach any of the stats that you used to feed it up to that level?

Also, is there any reason to pump up a low level possessed weapon (mine's level 8) or should I not bother until I start getting good, high level ones?

Duffyside

Banned
It makes more sense when you realize who the dude in the shadow really is...

Lilith in pretty much any form of adaptation has been a slave for that one dude. Even the new DmC game is putting a spin on that.

I didn't know Lilith was actually from something else. Anyway, who's the dude in the shadow?

Dahbomb

That's not 100% as it's still mostly speculation but that's the most likely explanation. Given characters like Lilith and Samael exist in the universe plus the relation that these characters have and that there is a possibility of a character higher in power than them... well you really come to one obvious conclusion.

Liking the game, HATE the UI.

It's easy to do, guys:

- D-Pad navigates menu entries
- Left stick moves the map
- Right stick zooms the map or scrolls text boxes
- Shoulder buttons change tabs and sub-tabs

And yet they manage to fuck it up and force me to use the stick to do everything, despite Darksiders 1 having a perfectly fine UI.

Also, I just got the Dark Avenger fists from Gharn, is this supposed to be a Possessed Weapon? I can't upgrade them but all the online guides say it is.

Liking the game, HATE the UI.

It's easy to do, guys:

- D-Pad navigates menu entries
- Left stick moves the map
- Right stick zooms the map or scrolls text boxes
- Shoulder buttons change tabs and sub-tabs

And yet they manage to fuck it up and force me to use the stick to do everything, despite Darksiders 1 having a perfectly fine UI.

Also, I just got the Dark Avenger fists from Gharn, is this supposed to be a Possessed Weapon? I can't upgrade them but all the online guides say it is.

This plus only Y axis inverting really enraged me when I started playing. Such simple things cause such an inconvenience in an otherwise really fun game.

Duffyside

Banned
Only sold 250k across three platforms in August, and they wanted at least 4 million. Not looking good.

Doesn't include PC downloads, this is only the US, and I thought it was 2 million.

... But yeah, they probably won't hit 2 million by the end of the year worldwide.

Sober

Legendary (named) and Possessed weapons are of the same quality, so their names are the same colour. Only if a weapon says "possessed" can have you sacrifice equipment to it.

so after slogging through a fetchquest getting the lords, and doing another fetchquest in that fetchquest, i get to the psychameron which was pretty fun i must admit. excited, i go back to the king and find out this whole shit was utterly pointless.

so now im about the enter the city of the dead and guess what happens? my game crashes. repeatedly.

whenever i try to use the soul splitter to grab the second statue to open the doors, the game freezes. every single time. i tried like 10 times now and it doesnt matter which side i open first. as soon as im about to grab the second statue, the game freezes and refuses to respond.

this fucking game.

NekoFever

so after slogging through a fetchquest getting the lords, and doing another fetchquest in that fetchquest, i get to the psychameron which was pretty fun i must admit. excited, i go back to the king and find out this whole shit was utterly pointless.

so now im about the enter the city of the dead and guess what happens? my game crashes. repeatedly.

whenever i try to use the soul splitter to grab the second statue to open the doors, the game freezes. every single time. i tried like 10 times now and it doesnt matter which side i open first. as soon as im about to grab the second statue, the game freezes and refuses to respond.

this fucking game.
Mine froze in the exact same place, but only once. I just reset the 360 and it worked right the second time.

TaroYamada

I find these impressions alarming, it's annoying because the first game was good, if flawed. It spent too much time on combat, too much time in areas that didn't show off the beautiful art style, and the horse was kind of useless. The dungeons, art direction, storyline and memorable bosses were what kept me engaged.

Unfortunate to read that they kind of didn't see the obvious mistakes in the first game. I'll still buy this as I've been excited for it, but definite bargain bin for me at this juncture.

Start button should be the character menu, and Select should go straight to the map.

It's such a pain in the ass just to view the map, because it's so slow to scroll back and forth through the tabs, since it saves the last position (most often my inventory screen).

Just finished the Drenchfort. Fortunately, the dungeons and bosses are great.

this fucking game.
Same thing for me, I got past it by changing the order the souls moved the statues, so if green did it first, I would try the purple soul first, I don't know if you tried that too.

Jinaar

I'm right at the end and all I can add to the conversation is that instead of having 4 worlds to visit, all of different sizes and shape, it would have been better to have 7-8 different worlds that are small like world number 4 in
Hell
, much like a classic Zelda game would have for dungeons, where over time and items you will be more and more equipped to progress with harder challenges.

The whole purpose of the Tree
was to link all the worlds and only giving us 4 of these worlds and to build 4 unique gateway portals with applicable statues to represent those worlds
seems sort of short sighted and against the description of the Tree in the first place.

Tonight I finish the Crucible and end game.

I can't say I agree with the fetch-quest complaints. To me, just about every story driven game is a "fetch-quest" if you look for a way to reduce it down to that so I don't see it as a particularly useful criticism. On the other hand, I know that when people mention it they generally mean that their quest for the particular thing they are going to fetch doesn't feel very compelling or interesting. That's fine, but to me it pushes the issue back another step to a point where you have to identify what else is wrong with the game. In other words, unless you only play a game for its story, there has to be something else in Darksiders II that isn't doing it for you.

For me it all comes down to the gameplay. If the game can find a way to make the quest to fetch stuff interesting from a gameplay perspective then I know I'll have a blast with it (like every Zelda, Mario, and good JRPG ever made). In that regard the game totally delivers for me. I loved how all of the different elements of Darksiders II came together, and I always felt like there was enough variety and spice in what was being offered to keep things interesting (although I will admit that
the Earth section went on a bit too long
). There are a lot of similar elements throughout the game of course, like the platforming and the occasional puzzle with a similar mechanic seen in a previous one, but overall the experience never felt like it was stalling or becoming stale to me. I guess I'm in the minority as far as that goes (if the comments on this page are anything to go by, anyway) but I actually thought the variety of Darksiders II was one of its greatest strengths.

When I first started playing the game I wasn't sure if it would be able to hook me but I ended up finishing it in the span of 3 days. That takes a rare kind of game for me these days so I have to give some credit where it's due.

Good lord, this arena bollocks is the new definition of padding.

My boredom is starting to slowly turn into a dislike for this game.
Nothing in Darksiders II struck me as padding besides
the second half or so of the Earth stuff.
Why do you see it that way as opposed to something you just don't enjoy very much? The design of all of the areas, dungeons, and enemy encounters was solid enough to convince me that it was more than just padding.

Because the reason for doing all of this feels so pointless. In Darksiders there was a very clear goal, in very defined places, which all felt like worthwhile things to do to complete your goal. Here, in the 7 hours I've played, everything feels like you're sombody's bitch just doing pointless things that act as hurdles to extend the length of the game. "You want do W? Well first you need to X, Y and Z for me, Horseman! You're not really a bad ass, you have to jump through all of these pointless hoops!"

The dungeons are decently designed and the puzzles/combat in them are fun, but the fact that the reason for going to all of these places is so stupid really hurts the game. I want to feel important in a game like this, being pushed along by a strong narrative, not that I'm just doing stupid things because the devs wanted to boast they made a 25 hour game.

Because the reason for doing all of this feels so pointless. In Darksiders there was a very clear goal, in very defined places, which all felt like worthwhile things to do to complete your goal. Here, in the 7 hours I've played, everything feels like you're sombody's bitch just doing pointless things that act as hurdles to extend the length of the game. "You want do W? Well first you need to X, Y and Z for me, Horseman! You're not really a bad ass, you have to jump through all of these pointless hoops!"

The dungeons are decently designed and the puzzles/combat in them are fun, but the fact that the reason for going to all of these places is so stupid really hurts the game. I want to feel important in a game like this, being pushed along by a strong narrative, not that I'm just doing stupid things because the devs wanted to boast they made a 25 hour game.
I understand what you're saying man, I think it's just an issue of how much you need the story to keep you going in a game like this. For me the story is important to some degree but its existence is primarily important to me for the purpose of creating the world and areas that I'm playing through. I guess I just had so much fun with the gameplay that I didn't feel the need for an extremely gripping narrative, and what was there was enough to supplement the core gameplay to a degree that left me satisfied.

I mean, I would be lying if I said I didn't crack a smile or two at the "go collect three of these" objectives that are so prevalent throughout the game. The thing is, I knew it would be a ton of fun so I didn't really mind.

Derrick01

Banned
Good lord, this arena bollocks is the new definition of padding.

My boredom is starting to slowly turn into a dislike for this game.

If it's the arena I'm thinking of that's where I almost threw the game away, metaphorically speaking since it was on Steam. A fetch quest inside of a fetch quest with a fetch quest on the side. I kept waiting for the Inception music to kick in.

I understand what you're saying man, I think it's just an issue of how much you need the story to keep you going in a game like this. For me the story is important to some degree but its existence is primarily important to me for the purpose of creating the world and areas that I'm playing through. I guess I just had so much fun with the gameplay that I didn't feel the need for an extremely gripping narrative, and what was there was enough to supplement the core gameplay to a degree that left me satisfied.

I mean, I would be lying if I said I didn't crack a smile or two at the "go collect three of these" objectives that are so prevalent throughout the game. The thing is, I knew it would be a ton of fun so I didn't really mind.

Story is very important to me.

The thing is, because everything feels so pointless, I keep playing the game in short bursts. I just went from the Tree of Life to the end of the Arena in the last 90 minutes and because I feel no urgency or purpose in the game I was bored and I've now stopped. I finished the first Darksiders in like two sittings because it kept pushing me forward and I couldn't put it down.

Hindle

Banned
If you're a completionist defiantly do all the side quests in your first playthrough. the game is really tedious to do a second time.

neoism

If you're a completionist defiantly do all the side quests in your first playthrough. the game is really tedious to do a second time.

yeah I'm at the begining of my first mind dungeon on my second playthrough on apoc... lol I haven't played in a week. This game is without a doubt my disappointment of the year...

malfcn

So is Day 30 (Argul's Tomb) coming out 9/11 or 9/18?

I plan to try a NG+ and turn the difficulty down to whatever is the easier since I beat it on Apocalyptic already, but encountered side-quest breaking bugs.

Top Bottom