• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Oliuarius

Neo Member
Dang, haters out in full force...
Anyway, the patch for xbox and ps3 will be out less than 48 hours, good news hopefully for those that are stuck at a glitch.

Good news ?

Still a lot of dips, tearing...

and always big bugs.

Some must restart the game.

This is pathetic.

On the official forum, THQ starts to censor people...

GREAT !

So for possessed weapons...

Can you level them up past your current level and still equip them? Or can you only keep them at the level you are at?

How does the whole leveling up thing work? Are you able to attach any of the stats that you used to feed it up to that level?

Also, is there any reason to pump up a low level possessed weapon (mine's level 8) or should I not bother until I start getting good, high level ones?

Anyone have any advice on these questions?

Dahbomb

Possessed weapons take up the stats of the weapons fed, up to 4 stats. When the Possessed weapon levels up only the base level from which it started from matters as far as equipping is concerned. A lvl30 weapon leveled up 5 times will still be equippable by a lvl30 character.

And get higher level possessed weapons, don't bother wasting money on low levels.

How's the pc port of this? Was thinking of grabbing it.

Barebone, but as long as you're willing to go for what is basically the console experience at 60 fps, it works. Just don't expect stuff like options, proper settings, enhanced graphics, etc.

By the way, I've just started the game (so far I've basically just done the Cauldron and the Drenchfort and started doing the Lost Temple and a couple of side-quests) and so far it's excellent and on another level compared to (the good but fairly flawed) Darksiders. Would benefit from a little bit of polish (some collisions act weirdly?) but it plays smooth, the combat system is a lot of fun, the Diablo-like loot is a nice little addition, and despite borrowing from pretty much every action/action-adventure title of the last 10 years, it still feels like a surprisingly coherent title.

Really satisfied so far.. hopefully the pacing problems you guys have talked about won't hurt my experience too much.

I3rand0

Is the patch out for PS 3 yet in NA? Also, I just started and got to the Cauldron but I can't collect the gems I see floating in the air. Is there a item I need to get those?

RPG

Also, I just started and got to the Cauldron but I can't collect the gems I see floating in the air. Is there a item I need to get those?
Yes and it's side quest related, but you won't get to it until after your current dungeon.

MMaRsu

No patch for Ps3 yet... that shit better fix my game breaking bug :<

Wait it fixed itself!

I did a fast travel to the Tree of Death again and lo and behold THE CUTSCENE STARTED :D
Fuck yes now I can finally continue playing, although all that's been said about the last two worlds hasn't gotten me excited much.

Duffyside

Banned
Possessed weapons take up the stats of the weapons fed, up to 4 stats. When the Possessed weapon levels up only the base level from which it started from matters as far as equipping is concerned. A lvl30 weapon leveled up 5 times will still be equippable by a lvl30 character.

And get higher level possessed weapons, don't bother wasting money on low levels.

Hm, I dunno. I think you should use your possessed weapons and upgrade them as soon as you get them. You never know when you'll get another set, and they're always good for about five levels, at least.

malfcn

Oh, I thought possessed weapons had their own path. So they do take attributes from fed items?

Ricker

There is 4 save slots but the game continually auto saves on the same slot...can I make a save in slot 2 of my current game in case I get a glitch that prevents me from advancing?...I don't see how for now...why is there 4 slots if the game auto saves over one slot only?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
DS II community manager on ETA for PS3 EU patch : "We do not have a date to share at this time." Eh... what?

MMaRsu

DS II community manager on ETA for PS3 EU patch : "We do not have a date to share at this time." Eh... what?

rofl

what a clusterfuck

at least I can continue my game. I thought this game was polished as hell? Didn't they say that in the previews/reviews etc?

Malo

Banned
What's an acceptable level to fight
the disposed king
? I'm at level 12 and constantly getting my ass kicked by him. I usually die in two hits.

What's an acceptable level to fight
the disposed king
? I'm at level 12 and constantly getting my ass kicked by him. I usually die in two hits.
Two is more than you need. Quoting my post from way earlier in the thread.

I managed it at 14. I did it by not getting hit.

SO HERE IS THE THING ABOUT THE DEPOSED KING.

The attack box of the big swing (the one that will freeze you and puts him in the stuck state) pushes out like a wave. The box is smaller to your left/his right (the club arm) and bigger on the right. So always dodge left. If you dodge too early, you will get hit. If you dodge too late, you will get hit. Figuring out the timing will take practice.

He will only do the big swing after some other attacks. Usually he will do three attacks (two immediate swings which you can hit him during but not after - these count as two attacks usually). He can also breathe ice (easy to avoid), charge (if he slams his shield down or even looks like he's not doing any other attack, just start dodging away), or use his spin move. To avoid the spin move, start running for the other side of the room and dodge backwards when he gets near. You may have to dodge all three times but you shouldn't get hit.

So, basically, keep your distance from him, dodge to his left when he comes up at you for the bigswing, then combo him. I would usually pop the strengthening wrath move when I saw him approaching for the attack, but it's probably not necessary.

After enough practice, it should be easy to beat the Deposed King early.

What is it about this game that isn't hooking me like the first? Was it because a ruined Earth was awesome? Because War is better than Death? I like it, but I LOVED the first game. Played it almost non-stop where I take week long breaks from this one.

I made my decision to purchase this after really enjoying the first and seeing some fantastic first impressions in the beginning of this thread. Wish I came back to this thread as more people finished before I purchased. Sounds like so many people were disappointed by the game.
Oh well I'll trudge though it over the next couple of weeks before Borderlands 2.

Haliela

I made my decision to purchase this after really enjoying the first and seeing some fantastic first impressions in the beginning of this thread. Wish I came back to this thread as more people finished before I purchased. Sounds like so many people were disappointed by the game.
Oh well I'll trudge though it over the next couple of weeks before Borderlands 2.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way.

It's...worth playing.

Like I said before, I feel like every individual thing is probably better in Darksiders 2 but I liked the first game more overall. It just stitched its parts together better.

What is it about this game that isn't hooking me like the first? Was it because a ruined Earth was awesome? Because War is better than Death? I like it, but I LOVED the first game. Played it almost non-stop where I take week long breaks from this one.

its because war had the forward + R1 stab move. i miss stabbing everywhere in DS2

the way ive feel about DS2 is how i felt about the first 2 hours of DS1. just boring and slow. since DS2 is a much bigger game, the boring sections are more stretched out.

the pacing is just really slow in DS2 and it also feels repetitive. story bits and important events happen every 3-4 hours or so, when stuff always happened in DS1 (until that awful puzzle castle section that ruined everything).
It's...worth playing.

Like I said before, I feel like every individual thing is probably better in Darksiders 2 but I liked the first game more overall. It just stitched its parts together better.

pretty much this, yeah.

Mine froze in the exact same place, but only once. I just reset the 360 and it worked right the second time.

Same thing for me, I got past it by changing the order the souls moved the statues, so if green did it first, I would try the purple soul first, I don't know if you tried that too.

i finally got it to work. i had to change realms, hang around with the makers for a while and then come back. however the city of the dead has been very glitchy for me. doors dont open when you shine the light on them, the O action button does not seem to work at all and i find myself restarting the game often to get events to trigger. putting the lantern on the statue has been so awful, its guaranteed i have to restart the game to get the action prompt to show up :|

this game seems to be buggier than the original, which had a plethora of problems in its own.

Jubbly

By "near future" they meant right now (reload Steam):

We are pleased to report that a 3rd PC patch is scheduled to go live in the near future. The team is committed to supporting our community with regular Darksiders II PC updates, while adding new features that have been requested. We are focused on addressing the remaining bugs being reported in the forums here on Darksiders.com, as well as any others surfacing elsewhere.

PC Patch #3 Details:

Graphics Options:
- Shadow map resolution configuration option added
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion configuration option added
- Anti Aliasing configuration option added

2.jpg

Keyboard Mapping Support:
- Invert X Option added
- Reset to default mappings option
- Map to NumPad option works as intended

Mouse Functionality:
- Camera Auto center Toggle

Bug Fixes:
- The Tome System works as intended while using an Xbox controller in the Tome System.

- Resolved issues around not being able to send Tome messages to Steam friends.

- Phasewalker now works properly after acquiring it within the Blackstone.

- Artifact Box and Legacy Box are now properly labeled in Vulgrim&#8217;s inventory.

- Exiting the game after adjusting the screen resolution will now save those settings.

- The ride-able construct will no longer free fall out of the game world when placing the ride-able construct under the Guardian and re-entering the room with the submerged lift in The Foundry.

- The Bridge should now properly drop within The Scar.

- The second lever within the Black Stone should now function as intended.

- Death should now be able to properly continue through the Eternal Throne when speaking to the guards.

- The pile of debris to the right of the skeleton key door in the second Heartstone room of The Foundry is no longer a match for the ride-able construct.

- The ride-able construct is positioned back in the water on the lift for those users who are stuck. (You may need to Fast Travel or back track out of the dungeon if you are currently stuck here.)

- The Custodian will no longer go for a swim when backtracking to the dungeon entrance after leaving the Custodian on one of the bridges in the room before the second Heartstone in the Foundry.

- The Resistance stats will properly update when returning 3 Stones of Resistance to Oran during the Stick and Stones quest.

- More support for different resolutions with HUD elements.

Jubbly

So I'm gathering that the "maximum" settings are just what the game looked like before?

The game didn't have AO or AA before.

Going by the menu screenshot, this will be FXAA or some other post process stuff. If you want 'proper' AA you'll still need to use Nvidia Inspector or their control panel with the latest beta drivers.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm only interested if they removed the crazy stuttering on the PC version. There will probably come a day when I actually want to replay this for whatever reason but I don't think I can with that stuttering, it was hard enough once.

Jubbly

The AO implementation is very good, but unfortunately they've broken Nvidia override AA, leaving us with shitty post-process stuff :/

vaelic

Banned
I'm only interested if they removed the crazy stuttering on the PC version. There will probably come a day when I actually want to replay this for whatever reason but I don't think I can with that stuttering, it was hard enough once.
No stuttering here...

IHaveIce

Banned

Three friend play it on PC, no one has stuttering, maybe the problem is on your end.

neoism

woooooow vsync works... This + the FXAA injector the game really looks great now... dont have to use anything on my card...

<3

Nice patch, was there a patch that pulled the camera back a bit in combat? I was having trouble with that, but I just came back to this game after a couple of weeks and it seems better.

neoism

Nice patch, was there a patch that pulled the camera back a bit in combat? I was having trouble with that, but I just came back to this game after a couple of weeks and it seems better.

nope I think they pulled it back a hair its seems like it... I haven't played in a week or more... this is differently awesome I will play this now... I still hope I get the dlc I got the LE from amazon...

Jubbly

woooooow vsync works... This + the FXAA injector the game really looks great now... dont have to use anything on my card...

<3

Should be no need for the injector now as the game has built-in post-process AA which won't blur the text and HUD.

Sid

Finished the game a while ago and it was awesome,looked and played great too but the earth section shouldn't have been there and some of the fetch quests should have been cut,the only major disappointment was the
stone giant
boss,i expected a lot more from that fight.

Top Bottom