• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Ambitious

Great, now my inventory is glitched. I couldn't pick up some armor because I had already too many of them, so I dropped one. Moved a few steps away from the armors, move towards them, and Death picked both up. Now I can't drop any armor.

edit: But I can sacrifice them.

The ability you get at the end of Phariseer's Tomb is so crap and it's making the dungeon after it a chore. It's just dull waiting for that ability to move around and do what you want.

Also, I'm only 8 hours in and glancing at a guide I'm at least 2/3rds into the game. Unless the other sections are stupidly long I don't think I'm going to hit anywhere near the 25hr mark like you guys!

The ability you get at the end of Phariseer's Tomb is so crap and it's making the dungeon after it a chore. It's just dull waiting for that ability to move around and do what you want.

Also, I'm only 8 hours in and glancing at a guide I'm at least 2/3rds into the game. Unless the other sections are stupidly long I don't think I'm going to hit anywhere near the 25hr mark like you guys!

i find it funny that they can go through fences and fly around, but they cant just float over a chasm or something. they always have to take the super long way around.

denshuu

Just finished up two playthroughs in a little over 30 hours for the Platinum, but didn't encounter any of the bugs people experienced, except for two times where the game froze while saving. The first Darksiders did that too, even with all the patches installed, so I kind of expect that from Vigil. Replaying it with the patch installed, everything looks pretty much the same. Still no Legacy Boxes at Vulgrim though.

Ambitious

I'm right before the ending, spent the last few hours collecting all stonebites, relics and pages. I missed a few of them and have no idea in which dungeon I have to look. Fuck this, I've really got enough of this game. I'm gonna finish it tomorrow.

Just got the platinum, took less than a week to get.
I had fun throughout except for the bugs and glitches I experienced...I'll definitely be back for the DLC content.

My final trophies involved the Crucible, and I had a weird glitch right after wave 100 :
on my way to the 101st wave, I couldn't get past the vines, Death wouldn't move, and eventually fall down to his...well, death. Man, am I glad you can select 101st wave from the menu, that would've pissed me a whole lot if I had to redo the entire Crucible for this ^^

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm right before the ending, spent the last few hours collecting all stonebites, relics and pages. I missed a few of them and have no idea in which dungeon I have to look. Fuck this, I've really got enough of this game. I'm gonna finish it tomorrow.

A game this huge really need to some kind of collectible counter per region... When you consider stones/pages etc. are also scattered throughout the dungeons, it really feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Still hoping they patch this in at some point...

ced

Just got up to the demon world.

I feel like the possessed weapon upgrades I'm doing are making the game a little easy, I have insane crit chance and dmg.

Darksiders 1 is a better game than DS2. After the ending of DS1 i wanted a direct sequel to that, not what DS2 is.

DS2 is only large for the sake of being large. The quality of content in DS2 isnt as high as it is in DS1 and I grew bored with DS2 about 3/4 into it and have subsequently traded it in.

Give me a direct sequel to DS1, thats what I want.

RPGCrazied

PS3 patch didn't fix the tearing, I have no idea what it did. Its 33meg, and says "additional content" Maybe its readying Argul's Tomb.

Hmm.

aparisi2274

What is your current level? Just trying to get an idea at where I need to be when I get to the final boss? I am currently at level 17 and I just saved outside the entrance to the city of the dead, in the 2nd hub world.

RPGCrazied

That's pretty sad, considering the almost non existent story in this game. Hopefully they can tell the story in comic/book form at least.

jred2k

Just got the platinum, took less than a week to get.
I had fun throughout except for the bugs and glitches I experienced...I'll definitely be back for the DLC content.

My final trophies involved the Crucible, and I had a weird glitch right after wave 100 :
on my way to the 101st wave, I couldn't get past the vines, Death wouldn't move, and eventually fall down to his...well, death. Man, am I glad you can select 101st wave from the menu, that would've pissed me a whole lot if I had to redo the entire Crucible for this ^^

Same shit happened to me on 360 at the part you spoilered. I fell probably about 7 times in a row. It seemed to be some sort of issue with the camera for some reason. It felt like it was controlling differently on that part.

Sid

Met the environment art designer two days ago; super nice guy. He was saying the team are leaning on new IP rather than sequel due to doubts with the AAA market landscape.
Which is exactly why they should lean on an already established ip like darksiders,i hope he didn't mean another shooter.

I'd like to see Darksiders 3 to see if they can make the game I feel this should have been. The first wasn't perfect but really good for a first installment. This is just a really dodgy sequel. Something tells me a third game could be great.

If they didn't nail the third game I'd say give up and go to a new IP.

thats sad to hear. the lore and characters are the best thing about this franchise, and itd be a shame not to see them further expanded.

Darksiders 1 is a better game than DS2. After the ending of DS1 i wanted a direct sequel to that, not what DS2 is.

DS2 is only large for the sake of being large. The quality of content in DS2 isnt as high as it is in DS1 and I grew bored with DS2 about 3/4 into it and have subsequently traded it in.

Give me a direct sequel to DS1, thats what I want.

yeah thats what i wanted too. from the looks of it, we will have to wait years for that to happen if at all. a goddamned shame...i really thought wed get to the "present" halfway in or something.

wow, this earth section is stupid as fuck. if i wanted to play gears, i would have..

my game froze a few times in this section fighting the suffering. why. this guy was a lot harder than any boss ive faced so far as well :|

Beth Cyra

Welp, I just started and got through the first few sections. I'm not sure if it's the battle system that improved for me, it just feels more like they took away some of the dumb restrictions from DS 1 combat, but overall the game feels much better/smoother at least thus far.

Got to say though, for only being an hour in I'm already getting sick of picking stuff up. I'm not a loot fan, D3 proved this to me earlier this year and I can already tell that before to long this is going to really drag the game down fo rme.

Either way Death is cool so far and I plan to play more of it.

wow, this earth section is stupid as fuck. if i wanted to play gears, i would have..
People keep using Gears of War as their comparison, but that's one hell of a disservice to Gears. You have mobility in Gears, and cover, and multiple weapons to utilize in multiple ways against varied foes.

What DS2 reminds me of is breaking off a turret in Halo 3. The camera pulls out to third person and your movement slows to a crawl. All you're left to do is hold the trigger down and lumber forward. Making a whole world out of this almost defies comprehension.

Welp, I just started and got through the first few sections. I'm not sure if it's the battle system that improved for me, it just feels more like they took away some of the dumb restrictions from DS 1 combat, but overall the game feels much better/smoother at least thus far.

Got to say though, for only being an hour in I'm already getting sick of picking stuff up. I'm not a loot fan, D3 proved this to me earlier this year and I can already tell that before to long this is going to really drag the game down fo rme.

Either way Death is cool so far and I plan to play more of it.

enable auto loot in the options, and then sell all the stuff you dont plan on using.

People keep using Gears of War as their comparison, but that's one hell of a disservice to Gears. You have mobility in Gears, and cover, and multiple weapons to utilize in multiple ways against varied foes.

What DS2 reminds me of is breaking off a turret in Halo 3. The camera pulls out to third person and your movement slows to a crawl. All you're left to do is hold the trigger down and lumber forward. Making a whole world out of this almost defies comprehension.

EXACTLY, thats what i meant. i said gears because i couldnt think of any 3rd person shooter at the moment but the halo comparison is spot on. i absolutely hate turret sections in any game and the fact they made a world of this, AGAIN, really boggles my mind.

i know there are vigil workers that read this forum as well as other reviews and outlets. havent they read any of the major complaints people had? they have so many talented people on their staff but the dude who decides on shit like this needs to go for the sake of this franchise.

senador

Banned
Also came here to say the Earth section fucking sucks. Is it long? I have killed 2 Suffering's already. Hoping it doesn't last long. Its a real turnoff and totally doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

okay so i just got to the
the black stone
and the graphics suddenly look 10x more gorgeous than before. the framerate went to hell during the entirety of
ivory citadel
and that really ruined an otherwise awesome section and fight, so its weird to see such a difference 10 minutes later.

however the area im at now, graphics look amazing, its running very smoothly and theres lots of effects and stuff. i feel like this section got more time than any others. maybe the game just looks like crap in bright areas.

Also came here to say the Earth section fucking sucks. Is it long? I have killed 2 Suffering's already. Hoping it doesn't last long. Its a real turnoff and totally doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

honestly, i just changed the difficulty to easy and finished that section in about 40 minutes. 35 minutes too long if you ask me.

I'm sad to hear that Earth is apparently the worst part of the game, since I've been looking forward to getting back there. Darksiders was so good because of the Earth setting.

Sigh.

Ambitious

What is your current level? Just trying to get an idea at where I need to be when I get to the final boss? I am currently at level 17 and I just saved outside the entrance to the city of the dead, in the 2nd hub world.

I'm at level 21, but I expect the final boss to be pretty easy because my scythes seem to be more than decent.

I'm sad to hear that Earth is apparently the worst part of the game, since I've been looking forward to getting back there. Darksiders was so good because of the Earth setting.

Sigh.

its another dumb detour but its over (relatively) quickly. the good news is that the section right after is a lot of fun so thats totally something to look forward to.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Sigh.

original.jpg

Brace yourself.

NekoFever

i find it funny that they can go through fences and fly around, but they cant just float over a chasm or something. they always have to take the super long way around.
I was getting really annoyed in the Psychameron. There was one part where I lowered a bridge and needed one of them to cross it and pass through a gate right in front of me to trigger a switch. When I sent him through, instead of walking about ten feet straight ahead, he went on some insane route that took him along the whole path, through a couple of side rooms, and eventually to the switch. Probably only took 30 seconds but it seemed like hours because I couldn't see him for most of the time so I didn't know if he was even doing anything.

Wow Apocalyptic on New Game+ was a joke. Finished the main campaign within about 8-9 hours and got from lvl 22 to lvl 30.

Based on Pacing/Gameplay/Technical performance (I tallied my freezes, PS3 locked up 14 times, usually after picking up a collectible) probably the biggest disappointment of the year so far. But I absolutely loved the aesthetics and music, as I did with the first game. I did platinum the game though (PS3), probably the highlight of the whole thing was Wicked K.
En Garde, You Boob!

What struck out to me is that it seems Vigil shifted a bit from the biblical undertones and went a bit more high fantasy with it, especially in the first two overworlds. At least the post-credits scene hints at something very biblical coming though... :D

I also thought it was a shame that the game presents you with epic vista's and sceneries, but more than half of the time you spend inside dungeons with small rooms (some exceptions of course).

reektann

Completed this morning. 32 hours or something like that.

For the first 12 hours I was screaming "GOTY" to myself whilst playing.

I think they lost their way slightly in the back 3rd and the ending was oddly abrupt (considering the amount of padding up to that point) but I still had a blast.

I thought the bosses slowly got lazy and didn't really have an 'interesting' method to beat them. I could just literally wipe my hand over the controller buttons whilst holding L and the world would explode (on normal, respectively).

Not sure if I'll go back to New Game + mode or not to be honest... hmmmm

I like this game but I wish the character design was more elegant. Sometimes I have trouble gauging when an enemy is attacking because the models are so cluttered that I have no idea what they're doing. When I perform an execution/finisher, I usually can't tell what the hell I just did to the enemy, it's just a mess of polygons and particles flying everywhere. It's like the Transformers movies where the robots just look like a bunch of random junk moving around. Though at least Death isn't as incomprehensibly outfitted as War. And I like the clean, angular look of the world, though that makes the characters seem even more jarring...

Just updated the latest patch through steam.

It seems like Vigil has been hard at work redeeming issue after issue.

First there are more options now (on the options menu) like camera auto adjust and now you can invert both axis (duh!).

Then on the graphics side, you have an AA setting that varies between Off/Low/Medium/High options (It could be MSAA, but I bet it's different settings of FXAA) and SHADOW QUALITY from 1/4 - 2/4 - 3/4 - 4/4 of a bar which really REALLY improves IQ but has a big impact on performance. It looks better and cleaner though!

Performance has improved (for me at least). The game runs better and stutter seems to have disappeared (and that's with better AA and better shadows than before this patch).

I can't tell if game breaking bugs have been fixed, but I hope they have (it is a 1.2GB patch).

This will make a better experience for people waiting for the PC version, but still, the game's fun/gameplay/story remains the same.

So, just FYI ok!

edit:
Forgot that there is a SSAO setting now! And that they fixed the labels error on Vulgrim's inventory!

malfcn

Have tried to reload a few times after checking out what I can get from Boatman coins. Nothing good. Does Vulgim ever give good items?

malfcn

Game just crashed on NG+ hope the save isn't borked. Out of habit tried to do my slash move with LB+X and immediately the system froze. Maaan.

just beat the game. thats...it?

biggest disappointment of the year. damn.

the last 2 sections were awesome. figures those two would be the shortest sections of the game.

ill post full thoughts later but i cant believe that after playing this, i think the IGN review was far too lenient. :|

aparisi2274

just beat the game. thats...it?

biggest disappointment of the year. damn.

the last 2 sections were awesome. figures those two would be the shortest sections of the game.

ill post full thoughts later but i cant believe that after playing this, i think the IGN review was far too lenient. :|

What level did you beat it at?

RivalCore

I had a really dumbfounded look on my face when the credits started rolling.

"The fuck happened?"

I still don't really understand what happened, besides everything involving three of something. Biggest disappointment of the year so far, especially after Darksiders 1 hyping me up to the rafters for this game.

Sober

I had a really dumbfounded look on my face when the credits started rolling.

"The fuck happened?"

I still don't really understand what happened, besides everything involving three of something. Biggest disappointment of the year so far, especially after Darksiders 1 hyping me up to the rafters for this game.

Death
sacrifices himself to save humanity. But it's okay, because this happens before DS1, so War breaks the Seventh Seal and he shows up again.

Top Bottom