• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Just updated the latest patch through steam.

It seems like Vigil has been hard at work redeeming issue after issue.

First there are more options now (on the options menu) like camera auto adjust and now you can invert both axis (duh!).

Then on the graphics side, you have an AA setting that varies between Off/Low/Medium/High options (It could be MSAA, but I bet it's different settings of FXAA) and SHADOW QUALITY from 1/4 - 2/4 - 3/4 - 4/4 of a bar which really REALLY improves IQ but has a big impact on performance. It looks better and cleaner though!

Performance has improved (for me at least). The game runs better and stutter seems to have disappeared (and that's with better AA and better shadows than before this patch).

I can't tell if game breaking bugs have been fixed, but I hope they have (it is a 1.2GB patch).

This will make a better experience for people waiting for the PC version, but still, the game's fun/gameplay/story remains the same.

So, just FYI ok!

edit:
Forgot that there is a SSAO setting now! And that they fixed the labels error on Vulgrim's inventory!
They also zoom the camera out a bit more during combat.

Mairu

Finally finished it today. Very disappointed with the ending, I actually didn't even realize the last boss was the last boss until the achievements popped up and the cutscene played.

Death
sacrifices himself to save humanity. But it's okay, because this happens before DS1, so War breaks the Seventh Seal and he shows up again.

i wonder if death knew he would come back to life eventually.
that whole bit confused me during the end of the original but its pretty clever.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm stuck early on. I did the fire and water stuff for the big guys and now am supposed to get to the lost temple. All the guides say for most of the side quests and stuff I have that I need Death Grip, yet I have not found that move anywhere.

It says it's somewhere in the foundry, but I cannot find the actual foundry entrance either.

I am a bit confused. I have now been through the entire "Nook" and need death grip to get across the lava, but never got it...

EDIT: Got to the main quest marker, am I just not far enough to get the death grip? All my side quests need it...

Ilive1up

so, this game is still freezing a bunch. annoying as hell.

within the past hour it has done it at least 4 times. going to take me days to beat this dungeon with the way it's going.

so, this game is still freezing a bunch. annoying as hell.

within the past hour it has done it at least 4 times. going to take me days to beat this dungeon with the way it's going.

Not to bum you out, but this is exactly what started happening while I was playing Tales of Vesperia days before I got the Red Ring of Death.

Hope that's not the case for you and its simply something with the game or just bad luck...

Dahbomb

I'm stuck early on. I did the fire and water stuff for the big guys and now am supposed to get to the lost temple. All the guides say for most of the side quests and stuff I have that I need Death Grip, yet I have not found that move anywhere.gT

It says it's somewhere in the foundry, but I cannot find the actual foundry entrance either.

I am a bit confused. I have now been through the entire "Nook" and need death grip to get across the lava, but never got it...

EDIT: Got to the main quest marker, am I just not far enough to get the death grip? All my side quests need it...
You get the Death Grip at the end of your main quest in the Foundry. Although you should be able to do the Gorewood side quest without it.

Ricker

You get the Death Grip at the end of your main quest in the Foundry. Although you should be able to do the Gorewood side quest without it.

Mmmm,I am up to Act 2,currently stuck on a small puzzle in the City of the Dead but for Gorewood,I still can't figure how to get the key to that door in the Forged Lands,near where you find the first Vulgrim...there is a jump from a Death Grip that I can't make I guess,underneath a blocked gate,with probably Gorewood that I can plainly see on the other side?...anyway,if it's like the 2 other extra Boss that I met so far,at level 17,I got owned pretty fast.

RPG

I still can't figure how to get the key to that door in the Forged Lands,near where you find the first Vulgrim...there is a jump from a Death Grip that I can't make I guess,underneath a blocked gate,with probably Gorewood that I can plainly see on the other side?...anyway,if it's like the 2 other extra Boss that I met so far,at level 17,I got owned pretty fast.
You don't need Death Grip to get that key, just get on the climb spots next to the locked door and work your way over, up and around to the platform above you. The Death Grip spots you see below you are just for treasure chests.

Is there any reason to hold on to those green talisman things you can use to buy stuff from Vulgrim? Or should I just be grabbing some purple chests from him every now and then?

Also, I'm going for a melee build and I'm wondering, should I just put all my points into one skill? It seems like a waste to spread your points out, seeing as everything costs wrath, you might as well make the most of the wrath you spend by using one super powerful attack (I'm building the teleport slash)

Lastly, for a melee type character, what would be the best stats to try to raise when handing in those stones for the sidequest?

RPG

Is there any reason to hold on to those green talisman things you can use to buy stuff from Vulgrim? Or should I just be grabbing some purple chests from him every now and then?
The console releases didn't get the Possessed chests from Vulgrim, so yeah, you might as well burn them unless you want to keep waiting for a patch.

Also, I'm going for a melee build and I'm wondering, should I just put all my points into one skill? It seems like a waste to spread your points out, seeing as everything costs wrath, you might as well make the most of the wrath you spend by using one super powerful attack (I'm building the teleport slash)
I kept respec'ing at the significant tiers and then reallocating my points. The teleport slash was beneficial (along w/ the explosion upgrade) until I could start maxing the Strength boost tree fully.

Lastly, for a melee type character, what would be the best stats to try to raise when handing in those stones for the sidequest?
Crit damage firstly, then Crit chance.

Dahbomb

Also, I'm going for a melee build and I'm wondering, should I just put all my points into one skill? It seems like a waste to spread your points out, seeing as everything costs wrath, you might as well make the most of the wrath you spend by using one super powerful attack (I'm building the teleport slash
To play a melee class you have to max out the Harbringer tree. The 2 best skills are Teleport Slash and Unstoppable but Harvest is really good too. Teleport slash has a ton of buffs that you can add to it but the one that I would avoid is the one that slows enemies, it's not that useful in my experience and you are better off adding the explosion and the wrath increase buff as well as maxing its base damage. Harvest you want to max the damage after hit buff, the crit chance of Harvest, the base damage.. you can max Red Harvest at the end because Reaper energy is not as important for a melee build as Reaper attacks are based off of you Arcane and that won't be a stat you will be maxing until the very end when you have a bunch of Mystic stones left over. Don't bother with Frenzy, you are better off with the equivalent skill in the Necromancer tree than that one. All of the stats for Unstoppable are really good, it's an excellent buff.

The 3 stats that you want to focus on are Strength, Crit Chance and Crit Damage. You want to eventually have as much of these 3 as possible. You really can't just max one and profit, high crit damage with low crit chance is not that useful and neither is high crit chance with low crit damage. Strength buffs your base weapon damage as well as the skills in the Harbringer tree.

Randomly decided to buy the game on Steam and I'm actually pretty impressed.

Only about an hour in so far, but it's really fun. The game doesn't have the best graphics from a technical standpoint, but the art style really makes it look visually appealing.

malfcn

THQ advertising Best Buy selling the LE for $50.

So much for it being LE (Honestly nobody thought it was)
And again, no point in buying any game Day 1.

burgerdog

THQ advertising Best Buy selling the LE for $50.

So much for it being LE (Honestly nobody thought it was)
And again, no point in buying any game Day 1.

Every single time :lol

edit
On PC you can safely buy on day -## because you can easily find deals that put the games at ~35 dollars. I've gotten DS2, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, and Hitman or $33-36.

Schlomo

I had read somewhere that all pre-orders include that Argul's Tomb DLC, but my boxed PC copy doesn't seem to include any code for that. That means no tomb for me, right? :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had read somewhere that all pre-orders include that Argul's Tomb DLC, but my boxed PC copy doesn't seem to include any code for that. That means no tomb for me, right? :(

From the official forums : "PC users who pre-ordered will not directly need a code. Steam will unlock Argul's Tomb for all the PC users. It is attached to the PC token you redeemed via Steam"

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Starts off a little slow, just like the first, but it is really starting to pick up now. Just got into the 2nd world.

Schlomo

From the official forums : "PC users who pre-ordered will not directly need a code. Steam will unlock Argul's Tomb for all the PC users. It is attached to the PC token you redeemed via Steam"

Thank you!

Btw, loving the game. I never thought I'd say this, but from what I've played (3 dungeons) I like it better than Skyward Sword. I could do without the loot system, but apart from that I don't have a single complaint so far.

JohngPR

On the PC version of DS2, I'm running into an issue where I lose control of the character after leaving a menu. I'm using a 360 controller and the only things that work are the start button, right analog stick, and the back button (but it goes to the start menu, not the inventory). I'm able to save and quit but when I load, going into a menu does that again unless I quit completely and restart. It happens after I've played for a while. Has anyone else had this issue and/or know of a fix for this issue?

Finally finished this after
______Earth
slowed my enthusiasm to keep playing last week. Thankfully it became fun again after that section but the last few areas did feel a bit rushed considering how much time you spend in the first 2 worlds. The ending in particular felt like a race to wrap it up despite the in game timer being around 26 hours. I enjoyed a majority of my time with the game, but I do feel like the end of DS1 was more memorable and the quest as a whole felt more focused.

My advice to Vigil for a DS3 (with Fury pls) would to cut the fat. By "fat" I mean those main quests that start feeling like collectathon missions where the goal becomes forgotten in favor of "Go here and do these 3 things after going here to do these 3 things." It feels repetitive even if you guys tried your hardest to make traversal and puzzle solving varied in between. For example, instead of collecting 3 items, we should collect 1, but the path to that item would be the same length as if we were collecting 3. It's a small change but I think it would feel less like padding. And
____Earth
.......no, just no. It would've been fine if it was 5-10 minutes with total cannon fodder, but it was like 45 minutes of constant hordes of annoying enemies and a gameplay gimmick no one is playing Darksiders for.

Also, it would be better to have events halting progress rather than characters sending the protagonists out as errand boys. Instead of a character telling me to do X so he can give me Y, make it so that I WANT to do X because it has ramifications on the overarching narrative. Hearing Death complain about being sent on seemingly unrelated tasks only to have to do them because "Welp, it's a vidyagame" is a bit weak.

The soundtrack is fantastic, the art is great, combat is probably the best I've played from a Western dev, and mechanics are solid overall. I'm not sure if it's better than Darksiders 1, but I can't call it a massive disappointment either. Loot was a good addition as well. A lot of the issues are very fixable in a sequel. Here's hoping.

Oliuarius

Neo Member
THQ has eye problems concerning the poor framerate on the XBOX 360.

THQSledgehammer wrote :

The team will be adding small adjustments in the next round of patches, but in general the engine is running MUCH smoother than DS1 across the board.

I have personally been playing through the game multiple times on Xbox 360 along with our QA teams and we are not seeing any sort of tearing within the game. While we are not saying you're not having issues... It is hard to fix something we are not able to reproduce.

@Blejac It is not possible to patch the console version of the game weekly, the submission process takes time... A lot more time... We are working as hard as we can to address all issues.

It is pathetic.

scitek

I just saw the stuff the latest patch added this morning. I'm assuming the AA they allow you to tweak is FXAA? I'll have to check out the AO too.

On the PC version of DS2, I'm running into an issue where I lose control of the character after leaving a menu. I'm using a 360 controller and the only things that work are the start button, right analog stick, and the back button (but it goes to the start menu, not the inventory). I'm able to save and quit but when I load, going into a menu does that again unless I quit completely and restart. It happens after I've played for a while. Has anyone else had this issue and/or know of a fix for this issue?

That happened to me but only if you're using Big Picture Mode. I don't know if it is a Steam issue (which probably is as it is in Beta) or a DS2 issue.

Try it out!

Ricker

I was loving this game until I reached Act 3...when will this ridiculous Flood like crap end...such a huge letdown compared to the first 2 Acts...

IHaveIce

Banned
Just saw IGN's preview for Argul's Tomb...and already foresee a lot of whining because it includes a section dedicated to third-person shooting :D
I'm one of the few who actually liked that section in the vanilla game so it doesn't bother me.

Other than that, there are 3 sections in the actual tomb, and the whole DLC has 2 new dungeons.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/12/darksiders-ii-arguls-tomb-dlc-reveal

MMMMmmmm not sure what to think yet. Those items you need to get for Ostegoth better be cool and unique because why else would you bother playing through the dungeons. I'm looking at you BONERIVEN !

on a side note, I completed the abyssal armor but the
horns
look absolutely ridiculous on Death. Kinda ruined it for me because the rest looked good.

Just saw IGN's preview for Argul's Tomb...and already foresee a lot of whining because it includes a section dedicated to third-person shooting :D
I'm one of the few who actually liked that section in the vanilla game so it doesn't bother me.
iOH85xpy7Vfvh.jpeg

malfcn

Argul's looks like a combo of the 2 biggest things people hate about DS. The shooting from 2, and the light/portal dungeon from 1.
And in a couple of weeks? I thought they were doing 30/60/90 day DLC.

Dahbomb

I loved the Arbiters Maze although I felt like there should've been worthwhile rewards for each of the secret levels past the 5th one. That one reward was great but aside from that there is no reason to waste time on the other secret missions. I liked how the Maze was a test of both your combat skills and your exploration because without the scrolls it's pointless to advance in it.

I also liked the beam/portal stuff from DS1. It was one of the few mildly challenging puzzles from both games.

THQ has eye problems concerning the poor framerate on the XBOX 360.

THQSledgehammer wrote :

The team will be adding small adjustments in the next round of patches, but in general the engine is running MUCH smoother than DS1 across the board.

I have personally been playing through the game multiple times on Xbox 360 along with our QA teams and we are not seeing any sort of tearing within the game. While we are not saying you're not having issues... It is hard to fix something we are not able to reproduce.

@Blejac It is not possible to patch the console version of the game weekly, the submission process takes time... A lot more time... We are working as hard as we can to address all issues.

It is pathetic.

yeah, this is a bit crazy to me. i really loved the first and just started the second (just finished the "tears" dungeon for the makers). i'm a bit disappointed. the frame rate is atrocious. tearing is noticeable too. i'm not sure how anyone can say the engine is running much smoother than ds1.

i'm playing on an xbox slim with the game installed, by the way. any chance of better performance if i just play straight off of disc?

Ramirez

How far into the game am I?

Just beat the arena boss & the skeleton wants me to go get his 3 dead lords

The game must really fall apart in the end? Up to this point, it's been just as good or better than the first for me...

Havok

How far into the game am I?

Just beat the arena boss & the skeleton wants me to go get his 3 dead lords

The game must really fall apart in the end? Up to this point, it's been just as good or better than the first for me...
Not even halfway, from what I remember. The game does fall apart at the end, hard.

I still like it, but man.

I really like the game, but having a scythe with Health and Wrath steal just brakes the game, on New Game+ I'm going with the arcane abilities and everything is a cakewalk, even the crucible.

Does anyone want some possessed weapons, I've got no friends on Steam that have Darksiders 2 so if anyone wants some free weapons just send me an invite, steam name is the same as my username here.

Top Bottom