• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Anyone with the steam version have any issues getting access to Argul's Tomb? The official instructions say to enter the code printed in the LE edition.... I wrote THQ and was like this the digital version, what freaking code.

Still waiting for a reply.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ohokay.jpg

:lol

As annoying as IGN can be sometimes I think this is an overblown comparison. Someone can like Zelda on Wii more than they like DS2 on 360, it's just an opinion. I personally don't think Uncharted 3 deserved a 10 but IGN gave it one. Big deal, I can always make my own opinions of the games I play.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't think any of the DLC is out yet.

The weapons, probably, but the side-quest stuff I'm pretty sure isn't day 1 DLC.

How are the M+KB controls on PC?

Just got this from Steam + VPN, but I don't have the time to play yet.

Not very good at all in my opinion.

Dodge is left ALT, which is awkward enough for me to just drop KB+M and use my xbox360 controller.

Xbox360 controller is great, controls very well.

Effect

Not seeing the problem here. You judge the game in relation to the other games on the system it's on. You don't review Zelda: Skyward Sword and compare it to games on the PS3/360. You compare it to other Wii games. However it's fair to review and compare Darksiders 2 with other games on the PS3/360/PC.

Also if a game has bugs it should be taken into account for the review. It shouldn't be ignored because it can be patched later. I really hate it when those things are overlooked.

I expressed concern before that the size of the world could be a problem. Looks like it is.

The fact that Skyward Sword got a 10 in the gameplay section is enough to see that it's a joke review.

Anyone with the steam version have any issues getting access to Argul's Tomb? The official instructions say to enter the code printed in the LE edition.... I wrote THQ and was like this the digital version, what freaking code.

Still waiting for a reply.
I don't think the dlc's out yet.

Well, enlighten me then.

The currency in DMC is almost entirely devoted to buying moves and occasionally items

Anyway, for DS2 you have predefined strings but they can be cancelled out of with your secondary weapon and there are moves that come out when transitioning between weapons.

It's in not at all limited

vaelic

Banned
CVG review

Darksiders 2 review: Epic, brutal, ambitious - but still comes up short
Better combat, varied platforming but spreads itself too thin...

The verdict
SCORE
Darksiders 2 is a sweeping, brutal sequel with an incredible amount to sink your teeth into - but, like the first game, it spreads itself too thin.
CVG UK

UPPERS
Thousands of armour pieces and weapons to loot
A 30-hour story with a massive world to explore
Customisation and skill trees lend RPG-lite elements

DOWNERS
Convoluted combat requires blind speed over finesse
Death moves at the speed of a Segway
Platforming's functional but unimaginative

CVG review

The verdict
SCORE
Darksiders 2 is a sweeping, brutal sequel with an incredible amount to sink your teeth into - but, like the first game, it spreads itself too thin.
CVG UK

UPPERS
Thousands of armour pieces and weapons to loot
A 30-hour story with a massive world to explore
Customisation and skill trees lend RPG-lite elements

DOWNERS
Convoluted combat requires blind speed over finesse
Death moves at the speed of a Segway
Platforming's functional but unimaginative

This made me lol

I don't mind the combat required blinding speed.

Maffis

Not seeing the problem here. You judge the game in relation to the other games on the system it's on. You don't review Zelda: Skyward Sword and compare it to games on the PS3/360. You compare it to other Wii games. However it's fair to review and compare Darksiders 2 with other games on the PS3/360/PC.

Also if a game has bugs it should be taken into account for the review. It shouldn't be ignored because it can be patched later. I really hate it when those things are overlooked.

I expressed concern before that the size of the world could be a problem. Looks like it is.

But the major point of her review is how she completely disses Darksiders 2 as a Zelda clone and how "it isn't as good as Zelda" almost the entire time. That is why the final scores are funny because she even goes to say the game is too long, yet Skyward Sword was maybe even longer and HAD less side stuff to do, and IMO, far more repetititve.

Effect

But the major point of her review is how she completely disses Darksiders 2 as a Zelda clone and how "it isn't as good as Zelda" almost the entire time. That is why the final scores are funny because she even goes to say the game is too long, yet Skyward Sword was maybe even longer and HAD less side stuff to do, and IMO, far more repetititve.

She didn't review Skyward Sword though. Rich George did I believe. If she did review both games I could see the problem but that isn't the case here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't let a woman do a man's job.
Oh dear

That's what I thought as well, before the post I quoted (by toasty_T), where he says you buy combos in the game.

Are you guys even reading the things you're quoting making fun of?
Yes, I have been.

Look at it this way. The combos you buy in this are the same style as dante's hit hit pause hit stuff you bought. There are still other moves you buy and most of the items you find along the way as well as skill point skills = single moves to use. There are other moves to buy that are not combo based as well.

Your starting tool set counting your first free move you get.

Is a dash foward dodge attack, a launcher after any attack, charge moves off your heavy attacks in the air and ground, your standard hit pause hit hit stuff. Special mid combo moves that only come out if you go from weak to heavy or heavy to weak

Ghost23

I was planning to buy this game later today depending on how the reviews were. I'm not going to lie, the IGN review is scaring me.

That's what I thought as well, before the post I quoted (by toasty_T), where he says you buy combos in the game.

Are you guys even reading the things you're quoting making fun of?

You can buy combos, but as I said already you have plenty to work with from the outset

DMC and pretty much everything does this so I was wondering why you were at all taken aback that you could buy more moves

There's a good scythe attack from a forward dash which is free. That definitely gets a lot of use

Isomac

Any one else have beta tab under Darksiders 2 properties at Steam?

Has couple different options: Beta, Devs, Goldmaster and reviewer.

Edit: I read from Steam forum that you need password to join any of those.

I'll say it: DS1 was way too long. Sounds like DS2 is too. Granted, I suck and had to do many encounters multiple times, but still....I got a life, and this late summer/fall is *packed* you know?

I pre-ordered the game on Steam with the Prima eGuide, but the prima guide is not working. It keeps giving me an error every time I try and access it. This is the first time I've used Prima eGuides... and it's NOT a positive first impression. Can anyone corroborate these issues?

Gbraga

You can buy combos, but as I said already you have plenty to work with from the outset

DMC and pretty much everything does this so I was wondering why you were at all taken aback that you could buy more moves

I am not saying by any means that the game will be bad because of that. Bayonetta was a fantastic game and it had this same thing where they gave us both predefined combos and the ability to cancel between them at will, being a hybrid between dial-a-combo games and free-form combat games. I'm sure it will still be a great game, I was just disappointed because I expected otherwise.

I wasn't disappointed because you could buy more moves, I made it very clear that what bothered me was the fact that you bought full combos. I even said that the best ones gave you moves and abilities...

Gbraga

Yes, I have been.

Look at it this way. The combos you buy in this are the same style as dante's hit hit pause hit stuff you bought. There are still other moves you buy and most of the items you find along the way as well as skill point skills = single moves to use. There are other moves to buy that are not combo based as well.

Your starting tool set counting your first free move you get.

Is a dash foward dodge attack, a launcher after any attack, charge moves off your heavy attacks in the air and ground, your standard hit pause hit hit stuff. Special mid combo moves that only come out if you go from weak to heavy or heavy to weak

So the predefined combos are just like the pause combos from DMC? There are not many of them as well? If so, I'm really glad.

It seems like you guys misunderstood me as if I was complaining about the "buying" part of it. I don't have a problem with that, it was the fact that you'll be buying whole combos instead of moves that bothered me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So the predefined combos are just like the pause combos from DMC? There are not many of them as well? If so, I'm really glad.

It seems like you guys misunderstood me as if I was complaining about the "buying" part of it. I don't have a problem with that, it was the fact that you'll be buying whole combos instead of moves that bothered me.

There are 3 that I've seen. One for the air that is a relauncher, and 2 on the ground one for single target one for aoe

sflufan

Banned
It appears that an older build of the game was released for the PC version because the Read Me file describes how to rebind keys!

Top Bottom