• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Played roughly 2 hours last night, and its very, very fun. Voice acting and dialogue are great, art direction is perfect (IMO), and gameplay is responsive and fun.

Only problem I have is the lack of options for the PC game.

Theres only two: vsync, and resolution. I bet all of the PC owners of this know this already, but it was dissapointing. Also, you can't rebind keys...like really? I really wanted to KB+M this game, but Xbox360 controller it is.

Not sure what to make of IGN's review. I've listened to Audrey on a few Nintendo podcasts at IGN and she is a huge Nintendo/Zelda fan. I've been trying to think about how/if that could change her perspective on DII but I'm still kind of unsure.

If I keep hearing that DII is more fetch-questy than Skyword Sword (which I managed to love regardless, I should note) I might be a bit worried.

Phil certainly didn't have anything bad to say about the graphics. Darksiders 2 is a pretty beautiful game on consoles.
That's good to hear.

Minion101

Banned
Played roughly 2 hours last night, and its very, very fun. Voice acting and dialogue are great, art direction is perfect (IMO), and gameplay is responsive and fun.

Only problem I have is the lack of options for the PC game.

Theres only two: vsync, and resolution. I bet all of the PC owners of this know this already, but it was dissapointing. Also, you can't rebind keys...like really? I really wanted to KB+M this game, but Xbox360 controller it is.

Certain ports just expect you to use the controller pad.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh and I will always find it funny when a review complains about a game being too long. You know most of the time they are complaining because they gotta rush through it and it being long makes that a pain. :p

If I keep hearing that DII is more fetch-questy than Skyword Sword (which I managed to love regardless, I should note) I might be a bit worried.

It has fast travel like Skyrim. "fetch quest" are over in minutes. Besides a few of the more special ones

Izick

Is "so SD" similar to "like totally low resolution"?

Not sure I've ever heard someone refer to something that has low resolution as "SD" or "so SD."

Oh and I will always find it funny when a review complains about a game being too long. You know most of the time they are complaining because they gotta rush through it and it being long makes that a pain. :p
I can see that happening at times but on the other hand there are definitely some games that just feel unnecessarily stretched out. I'm really hoping this game isn't one of them.

Hopefully Jason Rubin sees the upward trend in review scores from around 8.3 to 8.7 or so for this game. That's really really close to that 9.0 he says he wants (recent game informer mag). Maybe he'll greenlight Darksiders 3 to be the game to realize that potential? We can only hope. :)

Not sure what to make of IGN's review. I've listened to Audrey on a few Nintendo podcasts at IGN and she is a huge Nintendo/Zelda fan. I've been trying to think about how/if that could change her perspective on DII but I'm still kind of unsure.

That's good to hear.

Not enough fairies for her maybe?

Momentary

Banned
Okay.... I've played a little bit into the game... Does the Maker's Armor and Scythe come with this game or with the Argul's Tomb DLC. Also... Has any got access to Mace Maximus.

Only thing I've gotten redeemed so far is Van der Schmash

DieH@rd

Banned
Okay.... I've played a little bit into the game... Does the Maker's Armor and Scythe come with this game or with the Argul's Tomb DLC. Also... Has any got access to Mace Maximus.

Only thing I've gotten redeemed so far is Van der Schmash

To to the Tomes [near small forge in the first town] and you will get the items there.

Maffis

Nice of Audrey to mention Darksiders 2 glitches so much. I mean, they really destroy the game right? Not like they're fixable post launch?

I guess Skyrim didn't have any launch glitches at all, according to IGN.

Man I hate reviewers. They always contradict themselves.

edit: that infinite money glitch that already leaked is kinda broken though.

Saterium

I'm assuming this game has the same system as Darksiders 1 with wrath core, shards, life cores, life shards, etc etc... Is there anyway to track what you've collected in-game this time around? I still have nightmares about trying to track down the last wrath shard in DS1.

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit this game is good. I've played for nearly 2 hours and I have literally only just stepped foot inside the first dungeon.

It's absolutely gorgeous, the music is wonderful, and the gameplay is pretty much everything I loved about the first game and a whole lot more.

I love how huge the world is and how there's so much to explore. On my way to the first dungeon, I just happened to notice a little ledge I could climb, which led to a 15 minute detour where I killed a mini-boss and collected a bunch of money and equipment. Then after a little more exploring, I found a super secret hidden mini-boss who could kill me in two hits. He murdered me about five times, then I finally decided I should probably come back later.

Can't wait to play more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm assuming this game has the same system as Darksiders 1 with wrath core, shards, life cores, life shards, etc etc... Is there anyway to track what you've collected in-game this time around? I still have nightmares about trying to track down the last wrath shard in DS1.

Doesnt have shards anymore

KePoW

Banned
To to the Tomes [near small forge in the first town] and you will get the items there.

But have you gotten the code for the Mace Maximus yet? (PC version)

I registered, but THQ's website says the code for the mace will be sent out later.

DTKT

Holy shit this game is good. I've played for nearly 2 hours and I have literally only just stepped foot inside the first dungeon.

It's absolutely gorgeous, the music is wonderful, and the gameplay is pretty much everything I loved about the first game and a whole lot more.

I love how huge the world is and how there's so much to explore. On my way to the first dungeon, I just happened to notice a little ledge I could climb, which led to a 15 minute detour where I killed a mini-boss and collected a bunch of money and equipment. Then after a little more exploring, I found a super secret hidden mini-boss who could kill me in two hits. He murdered me about five times, then I finally decided I should probably come back later.

Can't wait to play more.

Same thing for me.

I think I might love this game. The music in the first real area is amazing.

Gritesh

I was going to get this on ps3 to play in my theater room but now I'm hearing that the console version is poor looking and has lots of glitches... What to do? Does anyone have this on ps3 how is it?

Can't wait to play more.

Wow we did exactly the same thing! I believe some bosses are actually built up a bit so that you can't defeat unless you get to a higher level, which is pretty cool.

The only problem I have right now is that since my upload speed is terrible - I only get to play like 1 hour each night until I beat it =( (since I'm uploading a walkthrough of the game that is)

NekoFever

IGN said:
It’s a shame, as the mediocre graphics underscore the game’s inspired art design.
hOEBf.jpg

All those 10s and Skyward Sword bored me to shit.

And I like Zelda

Wait what, you buy combos in this game?

argh >_>

You have pretty much everything you need to start off with. They're just extra moves to jazz things up a bit.

The mechanic is pretty prevalent across action games

U2NUMB

How very depressing... was looking forward to playing tonight but after 18 hours of work yesterday I am looking at another 17+ hour day so might not be able to pick up my pre order copy tonight.

Keep up the impressions everyone!

Gbraga

Pretty much standard mechanic of action games.

Not the best ones.

The best action/fighting games should not give you a combo list where you can chose one and perform it, instead they should give you a great variety of moves and abilities so you can create your own combos using those moves and abilities.

I really can't imagine Devil May Cry being as good if you bought combos and had a combo list.

Top Bottom