• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Maffis

What's the most effective/fool proof way to dodge gorewood snare thingy? I keep coming so fucking close to killing it for this chest.

from random gameplay videos it looks like you have to let go of targeting to free run and then jump/dodge at the end.

Maffis

Also, the leveling system is both a curse and a blessing :p

I was battling this mini-boss at the beginning and I was winning, even though I noticed I did no damage at all basically, but he was going down slowly and I managed to dodge all his attacks.

Then I get 1 hit on me and I insta-die lol.

It appears that an older build of the game was released for the PC version because the Read Me file describes how to rebind keys!

You can rebind keys, but not for a controller. I believe someone said you have to hit 'o' on some screen to open up the key binding menu. The thing that was interesting to me in the readme file though was the mention of a DX11 version. Is the current version actually using DX11?

KePoW

Banned
YESSSS

Please test out if dash cancelling before the last hit of a crossover string, getting the stick back to neutral and hitting the button again is a valid way to keep your combos longer.

Do the combo count still go up if you do so?

Dude... I think you're taking the combat in DS2 a little too seriously. Honestly, this game is *NOT* meant to be a Bayonetta or DMC3.

If that's what you're fully expecting, you should probably look somewhere else. This game is still a story-based action-adventure at its heart.

RPGCrazied

I've been playing it in 1080p and no tearing.

Just tested out the dash-canceling combos... yup, you can string together longer combos and the counter stays in tact.

I guess I'm just going to have to play it on my PS3 slim and see. I'll try 1080p first. Hope I get it in a couple of days. I'm at the mercy of the UPS man.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
YESSSS

Please test out if dash cancelling before the last hit of a crossover string, getting the stick back to neutral and hitting the button again is a valid way to keep your combos longer.

Do the combo count still go up if you do so?

Uh you can literally dash forward and do a dash attack infinitely to keep your combo counter up they give you leeway due to the fact you have to dodge attacks in this. The gun works as a linker as well keeping the counter active even if you ended up too far away.

Gbraga

Dude... I think you're taking the combat in DS2 a little too seriously. Honestly, this game is *NOT* meant to be a Bayonetta or DMC3.

If that's what you're fully expecting, you should probably look somewhere else. This game is still a story-based action-adventure at its heart.

I know it's not DMC, but you should take it a bit more seriously, there is a surprising amount of depth in there. :p

That's a combo described by tragic some days ago:

3 Hit Basic Scythe Combo, cancel to Crossover Heavy (Cyclone), Crossover Heavy Special (Hilt Strike), back to Scythe Ender, cancel the ender in the middle with a Flip Kick, Air Dash to the ground (Meteor Strike), Dash Scythe (Harvester Revenge), cancel into Crossover Heavy again, cancel that into Charge Hammer Strike, after Charge Strike hits, backdash, Deathgrip the enemy towards you, juggle with basic Scythe 1-hit, Flip Kick, Aerial 2 Hit Scythe Combo followed by Air Delay Chain (Hellraiser - Reaper appears and lifts opponent into the air even more!), follow-up with 3-hit Air Scythe Combo ending in slamdown, cancel into Flip Saw, land, Teleport Slash through the enemy, Deathgrip again, jump Air Scythe 1-hit, chain to Air Hammer Fall (big slam that brings both you and enemy to ground), upon landing, Just-Frame button press to perform the Widowmaker (mega spinning Heavy Strike), canceled into another Just-Frame button press to perform the Rift Breaker follow up.

So yeah.

Uh you can literally dash forward and do a dash attack infinitely to keep your combo counter up they give you leeway due to the fact you have to dodge attacks in this. The gun works as a linker as well keeping the counter active even if you ended up too far away.

I know, but you can both use your dash attack or return the stick back to neutral to perform the first attack of a chain again.

Tragic even said that they made sure to limit how fast you could do that again and again. Otherwise it could even be as funny looking as keep doing aerial rave jump cancel again and again on the Frost enemy of DMC4.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, I know this from a dev, the devs also stated more than once that there was no screen tearing at all...

You know he pretty much showed that off a simple version of that in the giantbomb quick look. I find it kinda funny you think tragic would lie about the combat when he's been playing it live on streams. He already said don't expect bayonetta. We are all pretty much playing the game already. Do you hear us saying how shallow the combat is?

Kem0sabe

Just started the game... found that that i had to wait the intro and all that loading just so i could change the resolution, then it said i had to restart to apply a simple resolution change... not so bad...

But where the fuck are the rest of the graphics options? seriously, i can only choose a non functional vsync toggle and a resolution slider?

I´m damned tired of these lazy ports, seems that the developers were more worried about pushing 14 different pieces of DLC than making an effort to deliver a decent port for pc players.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just started the game... found that that i had to wait the intro and all that loading just so i could change the resolution, then it said i had to restart to apply a simple resolution change... not so bad...

But where the fuck are the rest of the graphics options? seriously, i can only choose a non functional vsync toggle and a resolution slider?

I´m damned tired of these lazy ports, seems that the developers were more worried about pushing 14 different pieces of DLC than making an effort to deliver a decent port for pc players.

I agree it sucks, in the meantime FXAA is your friend.

Gbraga

You know he pretty much showed that off a simple version of that in the giantbomb quick look. I find it kinda funny you think tragic would lie about the combat. He already said don't expect bayonetta. We are all pretty much playing the game already. Do you hear us saying how shallow the combat is?

I don't think he would lie, but he did not stated at any time that the game was not built around predefined combos. It being that way would not make tragic a liar at all...

A semi-viral marketing thread a few weeks ago claimed the combat was on par with Bayo or some such stupid hype bullshit claim. It didn't help.

JohngPR

Sorry if this has been asked before, but any idea what would cause Death and other textures to be transparent when you first play the game?

Gbraga

A semi-viral marketing thread a few weeks ago claimed the combat was on par with Bayo or some such stupid hype bullshit claim. It didn't help.

Well, tragic himself said that there wouldn't be as much depth as a DMC game or Bayonetta because it simply was not their focus, but still would have plenty of depth on its own.

I think that everyone who was expecting a DMC have only themselves to blame.

DieH@rd

Banned
Worse still, there aren´t any options for keybinding, there isn´t much at all once you press esc...

Well, this just went to my backlog of games i will play once it gets fixed.

You can change controls on keyb/mouse. Press "O", go in the move list, and choose rightmost option.

Dahbomb

The thread didn't claim anything like that, it stated that "Bayonetta/DMC fans watch this video of DS2". There was a link posted.

Combat is solid in this game and surprisingly fast or at least significantly faster than DS1.

Gbraga

The thread didn't claim anything like that, it stated that "Bayonetta/DMC fans watch this video of DS2". There was a link posted.

Combat is solid in this game and surprisingly fast or at least significantly faster than DS1.
Yeah, it's surprisingly amazing for a game like that, and really looks like it hold up well against the hack'n'slash games, the combat being enough reason to play the game by itself, and the free form combat inspired by DMC would surely have people interested in it. But Vigil stated more than once that it would not have the same depth as DMC, which I'm ok with.

gdt

On my way to the second major dungeon. Where are people finding these optional mini bosses? I did find a sidequest dungeon (had to be like 30/40 minutes long!) though. I also found some routes/treasures that look accessible only with the arm grab thing I saw in some videos.

Megasoum

Banned
Huh...anybody managed to redeem the two weapons from the THQ website? The ones you get when you sign up for the account. I got the Van der Schmash just fine but when I go for the Mace Maximus it redeems it successfully on the website but there's no code on the page where there's supposed to be a code... and I can't find anything in my profile.

gdt

Also a small nitpick.

Every time I see Dust (the crow) perched somewhere, I get him confused with one of those tokens, because they share the same color green outline. It'd be nice if I could change Dust's outline color.

Harvester Revenge

[] during forward evade
A gap-closing attack meant for covering distance and opening up enemies for a follow-up.

Oooh, this could come in handy.

KorrZ

Welp, game just hardlocked my 360 I guess it's time to take a bit of a break. Just finished the second dungeon and the first real boss, my GOTY already.

Also a small nitpick.

Every time I see Dust (the crow) perched somewhere, I get him confused with one of those tokens, because they share the same color green outline. It'd be nice if I could change Dust's outline color.

Yes, 5 hours in and I'm still getting confused by this. I wish you could turn off his glow completely, it's not like he's very useful at all anyways.

f0rk

Should I get this on Steam or play through Darksiders 1? I never got that deep into the original but it seemed OK, if this is enough of a jump I'll just skip it.

Einbroch

Banned
Harvester Revenge

[] during forward evade
A gap-closing attack meant for covering distance and opening up enemies for a follow-up.

Oooh, this could come in handy.

Really? I hate that ability. I find scythe ==> scythe ==> heavy weapon x 3 ==> scythe to be the most effective, and it's really messing me up. Wish I could disable it.

JohngPR

I've tried restarting my PC, playing the game with and without D3DOveridder, with and without FRAPS and still get transparent textures on the PC version. I haven't even been able to start the game yet.

:|

Top Bottom