• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Phenomic

Sweet! Paid the 3.99 for Prime Release Day Delivery and the UPS guy just whizzed by my location without stopping. Of course as per UPS in my area the tracking originated and then falls off the face of the earth. Figured it was just par for the course because it seems to happen with everything I buy on Amazon, hopefully it's sitting on a truck somewhere because I'm dying to sink my teeth in.

Syriel

Any idea of where you can log into your THQ account on the 360 version?

It happens on first game boot when you're logged into Live. After you do the initial binding, you're linked. If you want to unlink, you do that on the THQ site.

It appears that an older build of the game was released for the PC version because the Read Me file describes how to rebind keys!

You can rebind keys in the PC version. It's in the settings menu.

So is the combat as deep and rewarding as the hype would have us believe? I was picturing a half-way house between God Of War and DMC.

It's a blast. :)

As annoying as IGN can be sometimes I think this is an overblown comparison. Someone can like Zelda on Wii more than they like DS2 on 360, it's just an opinion. I personally don't think Uncharted 3 deserved a 10 but IGN gave it one. Big deal, I can always make my own opinions of the games I play.

Personally, I found Darksiders II on the 360 to be better than Skyward Sword on the Wii. It basically out Zeldas, Zelda in terms of gameplay, IMHO.

rybrad

Has anyone received the Mace Maximus item from the Darksiders site? When I go to the page it says to register in-game to get it but my account is already linked in-game.

Megasoum

Banned
Who? Where? I'm not very far. I'm guessing I'll run into them soon enough?

If you've played the first DS, Vulgrim was the vendor/fast travel dude. He's back in two and sells you stuff including a "Respec Book" for 1000g. The first time I saw him was right after coming out of the first town (I think.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
People really need to stop designing boss fights that have regular enemies. All it does is make the boss look like a total pansy.

What exactly does the arcane stat do? I've been focusing on building it up since I'm a necromancer, but I haven't really seen that much of a difference. Then again all I really do is use ghouls right now.

I really like the game, the visuals and sounds are gorgeous. The combat system feels about right on apocalyptic. My main gripe though is how frustrating is to navigate the menus with mouse and keyboard. Also rebinding keys is a pain, it won't let you overwrite or unbind current keys, so you have to swap them around, and when you finally do bind it it resets the position to the top.

Overall I'm pretty disapointed in the pc port, barely any visual options (just vsync and resolution), frustrating menu controls. I don't even think my reaper form works with v.

The game itself is fun though, I enjoy the loot.

JohngPR

Here is a screenshot of my problem:

darksiders22012-08-14zhppi.png

Odd. Another users in this thread said he saw "slight" tearing. I guess maybe it does matter what kind of TV you are using.

I asked earlier, but does it matter if you have a 60hz LCD from a 240hz LED? Maybe that softens it. I dunno.
I've seen tearing on PS3, but it's been very slight and not all the time. I'm playing on a DLP right now; haven't tried it on my plasma yet. Overall the PS3 version runs very smooth, with slight hitches here and there. There is a lengthy load time between big areas at times; around 6-8 seconds, that can be a little jarring, especially while riding Despair, but it's not a big deal. I wonder if 360 with full install cuts that down though.

d00d3n

Anyone else getting messed up antialising? Using the nvidia inspector aa compatibility bit 0x00003301 which worked for some people in DS1. Anyone who got aa to work in the game? How?

Don't know if I agree or not since I'm still at work and haven't played yet but I get what they're saying about "more" not automatically meaning "better." I kind of felt that way about Arkham City, it was a good game but I very much preferred the more focused Asylum, City just felt like it threw in a boatload of samey shit to arbitrarily make the game "bigger."

But yeah, IGN, so I may well sit down and play and find that they're as crazy as usual, lol.

Gbraga

Don't know if I agree or not since I'm still at work and haven't played yet but I get what they're saying about "more" not automatically meaning "better." I kind of felt that way about Arkham City, it was a good game but I very much preferred the more focused Asylum, City just felt like it threw in a boatload of samey shit to arbitrarily make the game "bigger."

But yeah, IGN, so I may well sit down and play and find that they're as crazy as usual, lol.

I completely agree with Asylum being better than City, thought I was the only one!

How is the pc version holding up? I saw tons of tearing and stuttering in the video reviews which I'm hoping is either fixable or console related.

I'm not sure if I'll take the plunge. I saw a gameplay video where one of the devs was playing, and he made it look pretty good. Then reviews say it's just a hack n' slash, so I don't know what to think. I just want an action game with deep combat. Something has to hold me till REvengeance.

Too bad it won't be DMC 5

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit at the lighting in the first real dungeon (
The Cauldron
)... For a game that never goes under 100fps on my machine this is really impressive!

Twinduct

Thane
- anyone beat him yet? He's pretty damn tough. I'll try again later tonight.

Very doable. I used the charged up hammer attack on him. After he attacks you and you doge away there is enough room to do a full charge which does around 400-600 damage.

Just always dodge. There's also a bit when his health is halfway where he says something like ' I'll show you how to fight' or something unique, anyway here he does a quick three overhead strikes.

That's the only place where you he might catch you off guard. but the basic idea is dodge, charge, dodge..

JohngPR

Are you forcing AA on through your card? I had the same problem last night til I turned AA to application controlled.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I didn't know I had that still set to Override. I guess it kept it like that from when I was using a DarkSiders 1 profile.

Thanks...kind of a rookie mistake for a PC gamer to make. :p *blush*

I was going to continue work like every other day but fuck this game is to good, 8 hours in. The music is awesome, combat is deep, gear is addicting. Don't believe the reviews, the story is on the light side but im still way to early in the game for it to open up yet. I also didn't buy the game for its story so I don't give a fuck about that to much to be honest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I feel the game plays and feels great but has sort of an identity problem sort of like Uncharted. The game feels very polished, the combat is extremely fun (at least on hard), the traversal of lands and such is amusing, and the rpg mechanics make it fun to play. However, the thing is it feels like it pooled in great ideas from an assortment of games, put it into one package, and polished it up. I'm not saying it's bad but I feel that it doesn' really have its own personality. I guess it doesn't matter that much since the game plays really well.

gdt

OH FUCK. OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK.

My controller fell and erased my saved file on the start up screen. Please tell me steam cloud will recover it.

just got the game, and i passed the intro section. goddamn this game is beautiful and so many improvements over the first already. that soundtrack...jesus. however, i dont like how slow the menus are. it feels even slower than the first game where it takes sometimes seconds to enter and exit menus :|

that being said, i think ill put this game on hold until i buy another tv later this month. im currently gaming on my 19" and id rather experience the art in this game on a bigger screen.

lastly, how do i know how my preorder stuff is unlocked? i redeemed two codes on PSN today and they were installed but i got no notifications or anything in the game itself.

purg3

slept with Malkin
This game is really a huge step up from Darksiders in just about every way, absolutely loving it so far. I love the little hidden areas scattered throughout the overworld, gives a lot of incentive to search every inch of the map. Voice acting and music is also top notch, really impressed. Also, Death is such a dick lol.

gdt

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit fuck me. Steam cloud doesn't object when I load up the game. Any way I can specifically chose my last save to use?

Megasoum

Banned
Ohhhh man the first time I heard the little jingle when I completed a quest! Huge flashback from DS1!

Btw I have something weird about my graphics.... I run it with Vsync and forced AA through Inspector (using the flag that somebody posted here earlier) and the game is mostly fine... Fraps never goes under 60 but.. It still feels like there's slowdowns or hickups from time to time. Not sure exactly how to explain it but it just feel weird.

Top Bottom