• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Wait a minute, where's the gamepad support? Don't tell me that isn't included in the PC version either. I can't find it in the option, and it isn't automatically recognize a plugged-in gamepad.

You have to start the game with the gamepad plugged in (ie launch Darksiders II after you plug in your controller).

Game is a 1000x better with gamepad than a KB+M

Also, please note that left analog stick press opens the worldsmap, when you are at the map screen (found out this thanks to diehard =) )

PS3, 1 hour impressions:

Pros
-Looks fuckin great for a console game. SO MANY COLORS.
-Fight a magic dude called The Crowmaster because he won't open a portal to Yggdrasil.
-Hold two scythes at one time.
-VA and sound is great. Usually this kind of stuff is cheesy but these guys somehow pull off the world-ending gravitas thing without making you roll yr eyes.
-Summon a horse from under you as you are moving forward without losing momentum.
-Music is great but it's too loud(you can turn it down, something about the mixing is still weird though).
-Death is both agile and 'heavy' at the same time. Pretty cool.

Cons
-The fuck is up with the framerate?

Necrovex

You have to start the game with the gamepad plugged in (ie launch Darksiders II after you plug in your controller).

Also, please note that left analog stick press opens the worldsmap, when you are at the map screen (found out this thanks to diehard =) )

Thanks for that nugget knowledge. I cannot imagine playing Darksiders with a KB+M, it simply feels wrong. If the support was missing, I would have simply played Sleeping Dogs.

After I finish this work, I'll be playing some good ol' Darksiders. Mmmmmmm.

what's so special about possessed weapon? I found a few but their stats are not that great, I got other normal weapon that is stronger, upgrading them felt too expensive imo, I'd rather sell some of my unused equipment so I have money to buy skill etc.

Duffyside

Banned
Supposed to be, yeah. A guy on the official forums already has two copies. The copies sent out via UPS on the 13th are the free copies and we will also be receiving the original copies we ordered. More details:

http://community.darksiders.com/go/...7/NEWS_UPDATE_**_Second_copy_of_game_from_THQ

See, I just thought they were canceling the original, but man that's is one hell of a way to make it up to people. I mean, they know I'm just going to try and sell the other for as much as possible to get some other games, right?

Still would rather have had one copy on release day though. This is literally the only game for the rest of the year I wanted absolutely day one. I actually set time aside for it all week and everything.

Sorry to bring the thread down with my whining, guys (this apology only lasts until 24 hours from now, at which point, if a UPS guy hasn't brought me a copy yet, I am going to stain GAF permanently with my tears).

forrest

formerly nacire
So I'm stumped here.
I'm in the Scar and I got to the part where you fight the two waves of contructs and the two giants. I couldn't do it at level 11 so I left. I've come back since gaining five levels and the guy you ride over the lava with is still over by the gate. What can I do to get over there since there is lava blocking the way? Pretty much screwed out of doing this quest?

I had to skip that and return as well once I leveled up a bit.
Once you defeat the two big guys the gate opens and you take the construct across the lava.

Megasoum

Banned
The misplaced crosshair is really annoying. It's nothing gamebreaking but it joins the long list of VERY stupid bugs still present in that game.

Raxum

Yeah that world map thing screwed me in a few places.
Found it after I got stuck in Psychameron because you have to quick travel to get out, had to trawl forums for a while to find the answer in a completely unrelated issue thread.
Loving the use of the xbox controller while sitting in my comfy computer chair.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't have that at all.

Weird... I've seen other people talking about the same issue so I'm not alone. The crosshair is often a bit off to where the gun or
The stone dude....thing's arm goes

Like I said, nothing gamebreaking but it's just annoying. The healthbars over the target's head when I hold Left Trigger is often missplaced too.

the soundtrack download from the THQ site you get with the collector's edition is fucked.

none of the tracks are tagged and now I found out that it's inconsistent with the officially released (to buy) version online as far as track numbers and names.

so not only do I not know which disc what tracks are on, but I don't have a reliable source to point an mp3 tagger to. it's like DXHR all over again.

pyros

Thanks, that helped, another problem I'm getting is, if you enter option screen in game, and then exit, the screen remains cloudy white and has background music but nothing else, only way to get out is by alt f4 and restarting the game

Self quoting myself, about earlier problem I had, forcing vsync with D3DOverrider seems to have solved it

Ridley327

Just got off from playing this the whole day; I've been very impressed with the scope of the game (sooooooooo many bonus dungeons and bosses), but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. The framerate is never really good, the screen tearing is plenty annoying (especially in the action cutscenes, jeez), and all of the loading hitches really get to you after a bit.

Side quest spoiler:
The game would tell me that I should have been right around level 20 before trying to attempt Argul after I killed him and claimed his weapon...

Syriel

the soundtrack download from the THQ site you get with the collector's edition is fucked.

none of the tracks are tagged and now I found out that it's inconsistent with the officially released (to buy) version online as far as track numbers and names.

so not only do I not know which disc what tracks are on, but I don't have a reliable source to point an mp3 tagger to. it's like DXHR all over again.

By way of comparison with audio clips on Amazon, the following track order is correct:

Disc 1

01_The_Makers_Theme.mp3
02_Into_Eternity.mp3
03_Makers_In_The_Outlands.mp3
04_Story_Of_The_Makers.mp3
05_The_Corruption.mp3
06_The_Makers_Overworld.mp3
07_The_Makers_Fight_Back.mp3
08_The_Floating_City.mp3
09_Crystal_Spire.mp3
10_Trouble_In_Eden.mp3
11_Death_Fights_Archon.mp3
12_The_Abyssal_Plains.mp3
13_Earth_Realm.mp3
14_The_Crowfather.mp3

Disc 2

01_Death_Plains_Theme.mp3
02_The_Plains_Await.mp3
03_Supernatural_Desert.mp3
04_The_Eternal_Throne.mp3
05_City_of_the_Dead.mp3
06_The_Crypt.mp3
07_Death_Brings_Hope.wav.mp3
08_Plains_of_Death.mp3
09_Demon_Realm.mp3
10_Into_The_Shadows.mp3
11_Death_Confronts_Samuel.mp3
12_Death_Plains_Theme_(Reprise).mp3

As for names, I got no idea. The audio is identical, but some of the names do differ between here and Amazon.

Track titles are blanked due to potential location spoilers.

Megasoum

Banned
I <3 my ghouls lol... I love the fact that you can use the summon spell to kick ennemies in the air (if you summon facing an ennemy the coffins that raise from the ground will kick ennemies in the air).

RPGCrazied

Just got off from playing this the whole day; I've been very impressed with the scope of the game (sooooooooo many bonus dungeons and bosses), but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. The framerate is never really good, the screen tearing is plenty annoying (especially in the action cutscenes, jeez), and all of the loading hitches really get to you after a bit.

Side quest spoiler:
The game would tell me that I should have been right around level 20 before trying to attempt Argul after I killed him and claimed his weapon...

What version you playing?

please say 360.

Tucah

you speak so well
Despite the various weird (but not gamebreaking) bugs, I'm absolutely in love with this game. Pretty much everything here is to my liking. The art style is fantastic and colorful. The gameplay is great - surprisingly deep combat with a ton of options, fun platforming, good puzzles (although they're a bit easy so far, 9 or 10 hours in). Oh, and loot. Goddamn I'm a sucker for loot. The story's okay so far but I love the universe and I love finding out more about it. Leagues ahead of Darksiders 1 for me (and I loved that game too). One of the few GOTY contenders for me so far, great game. Well done Vigil, hope you get to make a Darksiders III.

RPGCrazied

Are the cutscenes not prerecorded like the first game? That's one thing I noticed on the PS3 version. The cutscenes looked better than real time gameplay.

RPGCrazied

That's cool. Only bummer I guess its going to tear in some of those intense scenes then. I'm sure both versions have its share of tearing. 360 sounds like it might do it more.

MMaRsu

From what I'm seeing, and hearing from other users, looks like the PS3 version is the way to go if you have a choice.

Good to know..sadly i wont unlock any rewards but performance is very important in a game like this. Tis a shame vigil couldnt do better. What was all that no sense about no version will have teafing blablabla...just more PR
.bullshit then?

Ridley327

Good to know..sadly i wont unlock any rewards but performance is very important in a game like this. Tis a shame vigil couldnt do better. What was all that no sense about no version will have teafing blablabla...just more PR
.bullshit then?

V-sync: console exclusive to the Wii U!

RPGCrazied

.bullshit then?

3rd party games on consoles with 0 tearing are pretty rare this generation.

Are you able to return to any world in case you didn't complete everything?

I'd like to know as well because I missed a crap load of stuff.

.bullshit then?

Honestly, the performance isn't that bad on PS3. The tearing is VERY minor and I haven't really noticed it.

Yeah I'll reiterate, if there are people playing on PS3 that have steady 30 fps, I want their version. That's not the version I have. It's sufferable but it does break the immersion some.

KevinCow

Banned
God dammit, my controller just died in the middle of an intense and awesome boss battle. And for some reason it's refusing to charge while plugged in.

Am I an idiot? How am I supposed to use my specials with LB when I'm holding LT to lock on an enemy?
Yeah, I'm incapable of using my middle fingers to hit the triggers, which means I've just been completely ignoring the LB attacks, which kind of sucks.

You can press d-pad down to bring up the radial menu and pause the action, then select the attack you want to do and press X or A. It slows down the combat a bit, but I find it easier than trying to juggle both shoulder buttons. I stick with gear switching and the spinning area of effect attack on the shortcuts.

Top Bottom