• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Esch

Banned
About 4-5 hours in. I like it, a lot, especially since I havent really had much chance to play a game like this in ages. It's very much a "generalist" game, and if that doesnt bother you, I reckon you would probably enjoy it more. I'm not gonna lie, im more into it for the world, music, and art style than anything else. I don't see the overall gameplay ever being more impressive than the best of say, God of War or something, but it is satisfying in its own way. I do have some complaints with the PC version, they didnt throw us a goddamn bone here, but most of the time i find myself not really giving a poop and grinding away. Definitely a good title so far, just not amazing.

Jesper Kyd does great things.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
About 4-5 hours in. I like it, a lot, especially since I havent really had much chance to play a game like this in ages. It's very much a "generalist" game, and if that doesnt bother you, I reckon you would probably enjoy it more. I'm not gonna lie, im more into it for the world, music, and art style than anything else. I don't see the overall gameplay ever being more impressive than the best of say, God of War or something, but it is satisfying in its own way. I do have some complaints with the PC version, they didnt throw us a goddamn bone here, but most of the time i find myself not really giving a poop and grinding away. Definitely a good title so far, just not amazing.

Jesper Kyd does great things.

>.>/ You don't even have access to half your combat moves yet.

Anyways.... TIME FOR ANOTHER ALL NIGHTER :3

k0psV.jpg

Curse having to sleep T.T

Esch

Banned
>.>/ You don't even have access to half your combat moves yet.

IDK, it basically seems like I dont even need half of them though, it's pretty easy for me to just roll away and smash the bejesus out of them after they finish their attack sequence.

Esch

Banned
You playing on normal? The combat is quite a bit more frantic on apoc

I've been thinking about ramping it up for the last hour or so. might as well...

edit: I hate these games because i never know what damn moves to buy, ive got like 25k gold just sitting around that i dont wanna waste :lol

senador

Banned
Alright, I'm sure this has been discussed so I apologize, but what side is better for Apocolyptic? Harbinger or Necromancer?

^^ Ha, yes! I always want the best moves and to not make a wrong choice.

neoism

Those using the FXAA injector...anyway to get the FXAA injector and D3DOverrider to work in together?

As it is, D3DOverrider stops working when I add the injector into DSII's folder.

both change darksiders 2 exe so no one one at a time.. I'm in your boat use the injector and get tearing I'm using ccc and have AA 8x Af 16X and vsync and tripbuff on my card and d3od and it looks great now...

KorrZ

Finally made it to the second world after 11 hours, within 5 minutes of entering it I was already within a side dungeon and fighting a hectic battle against mini boss:
The Deposed King
at level 14 it was a pretty challenging fight. I can't believe there are still 2 more worlds...I'm easily getting 40+ hours out of this game.

I've been thinking about ramping it up for the last hour or so. might as well...

edit: I hate these games because i never know what damn moves to buy, ive got like 25k gold just sitting around that i dont wanna waste :lol

All of them, money is like water in this game.

malfcn

Installing.
I don't even remember what the LE is supposed to come with. Are the free weapons even worth redeeming, and are they even available?

Peterthumpa

Solved my freezing problem, the game was set to open in windowed mode and the forced AA through control pane doesn't get along nicely with it, only fullscreen.

Anyway, I just left
the Lost Temple
and I can't believe my eyes. Running in 1080p, locked 60 FPS, brightness correctly adjusted (I've been noticing that this is very important to set correctly to get the colors that the developer had in mind) and 2X SGSAA, this is without a doubt, the most beautiful game I've ever played.

No kidding, this is the finest example of art design/style triumphing over graphics. Not that they're bad by any means, they're amazing, but everything is so well thought and built that I'm in complete shock.

Really, if you have a good PC, turn off the lights, set it at 1080p, calibrate brightness, add some AA and go to the first dungeon. It's like I'm playing a next-gen game, for god's sake.

FANTASTIC and AMAZING work Vigil. I can't even comprehend how Darksiders III would like in next-gen hardware. Anyway, I really hope that Vigil stays in the business, these guys really, really deserve it. And a big LOL @ the IGN review.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

That explains it. Yeah you should of started on apoc if you had any past action game play time >.<

None of the moves are bad, just buy the move sets for the secondary you prefer to use.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ever since I started accumulating the 3
Ghost Lord Guys
I'm getting sound issues, where parts of the sound will mute out and eventually everything is quiet. Went into a major cutscene with no sound and the subtitles, although set to be on, weren't working. I quit out immediately and hopefully will get to see the cut scene again.

vaelic

Banned
Solved my freezing problem, the game was set to open in windowed mode and the forced AA through control pane doesn't get along nicely with it, only fullscreen.

Anyway, I just left
the Lost Temple
and I can't believe my eyes. Running in 1080p, locked 60 FPS, brightness correctly adjusted (I've been noticing that this is very important to set correctly to get the colors that the developer had in mind) and 2X SGSAA, this is without a doubt, the most beautiful game I've ever played.

No kidding, this is the finest example of art design/style triumphing over graphics. Not that they're bad by any means, they're amazing, but everything is so well thought and built that I'm in complete shock.

Really, if you have a good PC, turn off the lights, set it at 1080p, calibrate brightness, add some AA and go to the first dungeon. It's like I'm playing a next-gen game, for god's sake.

FANTASTIC and AMAZING work Vigil. I can't even comprehend how Darksiders III would like in next-gen hardware. Anyway, I really hope that Vigil stays in the business, these guys really, really deserve it. And a big LOL @ the IGN review.
how do we add AA for AMD users?

Duffyside

Banned
Nope, I just took my order number and put it in the reference field and it brought my tracking up. That is how most have found out.

http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/track?loc=en_US&WT.svl=PriNav

It's astounding how they did not even bother to email those of us affected to let us know that the shipping method has changed and provide new tracking info. Utter incompetence, but a free copy will be a nice gesture.

Thank you so much for this. Now I know I'll be getting my package on Friday, probably at the end of the day. That gives me only Saturday to play this huge game until I won't have time again for two weeks. Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

IronRinn

Well I think I might be fucked. Just got to
The Foundry and gained access to a Guardian/Sentinel dude needed to clear a path through some Corruption (this is when you are paired up with Karn. You raise this one out of the water on an elevator. Unfortunately, while fighting the enemies the Guardian became stuck in the scenery. He ain't movin'. And that's my only save. Tried reloading a few times and nothing. He's still just floating in the corner. God damn it.

Edit: Alright, well, checked out the official forums and it seems there are a couple of problems in this particular dungeon that will stop your progression, mostly related to one of your companions getting stuck in the scenery or disappearing. So, yeah, keep an eye out for that. Guess I'll be playing Sleeping Dogs and hopefully they fix this. Not really relishing the idea of replaying 6+ hours.

I'm on PC by the way, although it seems to affect all platforms.

Damn, the second area is gorgeous

Lack of lock-on toggle is a huge pain in the ass. Especially when the thing I'm trying to focus on gets mixed up with something else because I had to let go to use an ability.

Also, is it just me or is Reaper form incredibly weak? It feels like it's either missing most of the time or the actual hits are for way less than what they ordinarily are outside of it. I'm using it for the invincibility mainly.

malfcn

I only played DS1 a few months ago and have become fuzzy on the details of the story. Was thinking about running through it on the easiest difficulty. But the DS2 box is so shiny, and installed.

Lack of lock-on toggle is a huge pain in the ass. Especially when the thing I'm trying to focus on gets mixed up with something else because I had to let go to use an ability.

Also, is it just me or is Reaper form incredibly weak? It feels like it's either missing most of the time or the actual hits are for way less than what they ordinarily are outside of it. I'm using it for the invincibility mainly.

Right stick sorts through the enemies when you lock on and I agree with you on the Reaper form, it's only useful for me against groups of small enemies whenever I use it on the miniboss ones I usually take away less than half their health.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just fucked up Gorewood as a level 7 on Apocalyptic #swag

KorrZ

Yeah I'm noticing Reaper form kinda sucks as well. War's Chaos form was a walking tank, easily taking out almost any enemy in the game. I can't even kill one Giant Construct before Reaper form ends. It sucks.

Syriel

There is a track missing from each disc if going by numerical order. I matched them up and disc 1 would be missing a 13th track and disc 2 would be missing I think 2. Not at my of right now.

The track numbers were mislabeled. None of the tracks are actually missing though.

What level do you think we can we expect to finish the game at?

Or more specifically, is it possible to completely fill out one side of the progression table in one playthrough?

I finished my normal playthrough at clvl 21.

Khezu

So with the Just Frame meteor strike mechanic, could I theoretically use that to rapid fire fully charged arm blade zelda blasts? Or is there some kind of hidden limit? I can't seem to do it consistently.

My ghouls are starting to get really good now that I'm maxing out them. Skipping the taunt because it seems like enemies focus them already.

I'll probably skip the crows and go for the shield upgrades. Two summons is too heavy on wrath consumption.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My ghouls are starting to get really good now that I'm maxing out them. Skipping the taunt because it seems like enemies focus them already.

I'll probably skip the crows and go for the shield upgrades. Two summons is too heavy on wrath consumption.

Max out the health bonus, it gives you 3 ghouls. Maxing out the fire makes them crit 5% more often as well

Carm

Question for tragic, or anyone else that may be able to answer. When starting nightmare mode, do all the various dlc weapons and armor show up at the starting vendors/mail? I ask because the stupid linking accounts is still down (2 dlc weapons)and THQ are now saying to speak to Steam support over the Dark Talons and Skeletal Axe,. Which means I'll be waiting for days on a response from Valve, who will no doubt, send me back to THQ support.

I haven't even started the game yet, was hoping at the least linking would be back up by now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Say what now?! Could you pinpoint the area for me, please?

The first tunnel you pass through before the forest next to vulgrim

Yeah I'm at 14 now, they're all maxed out except wrath on hit and the taunt. I had the wrath on hit before and I barely noticed a difference after respeccing.
Yeah honestly the ghouls when you pump your arcane stat up are really really useful. The wrath on hit isnt bad but it isnt really worth it til you can put 3 points into it. The armor is better.

Only been able to play this in half hour increments, but just finished up a third session and it just gets better and better. Areas are colorful and distinct and suitably large, and filled with all sorts of little areas I want to clamber around. And feeding possessed weapons is now something I'm going to miss when I play other games without it. Using the bird as a way to nudge you along the right path is a little stroke of genius too. I'm loving this.

Syriel

Maxxed crows are awesome for building health and reaper energy.

Fire off ghouls to distract opponent.
Bash with scythes/sword.
Fire off crows to restore health/build reaper.
Attack with reaper.
If low on wrath, use gun.
Repeat to win.

:)

I've put in about 7 hours with the 360 version, and this is probably my GOTY so far. I did notice something strange when I was playing last night. I started out playing on my plasma TV and noticed alot of tearing and frame rate drops. Eventually I moved to play in my bedroom on my LCD and the problems disappeared. It was like a night and day difference. I should also note that the gaming mode on my plasma doesn't work at the moment, but I haven't noticed any other issues in any other games. Does gaming mode really make that big of a difference?

Paertan

Gah can't wait til next week. I don't get why they release the game on a tuesday here?
Hopefully they ship it a bit early and I get it on monday.

I've put in about 7 hours with the 360 version, and this is probably my GOTY so far. I did notice something strange when I was playing last night. I started out playing on my plasma TV and noticed alot of tearing and frame rate drops. Eventually I moved to play in my bedroom on my LCD and the problems disappeared. It was like a night and day difference. I should also note that the gaming mode on my plasma doesn't work at the moment, but I haven't noticed any other issues in any other games. Does gaming mode really make that big of a difference?

I've seen zero tearing in the 360 version. Others say they see a ton. It's not a case of me not knowing what to look for. I hate tearing. This game has none so far. I'm wondering if it comes down to the TV/monitor being used.

Top Bottom