• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Beepos

Few hours into the game with the first dungeon completed and moving into the second area. For those who are wondering between Normal or Apocalypse (hard) difficulties go Apocalypse if you have experience in these type of action games. I've had no trouble so far and while I expect it to obviously ramp up, I couldn't imagine how 'button mash' normal would be during the time I've played, considering it's pretty straight forward at the moment.

This is from someone who played DS1 on normal and found it a decent challenge early on.

jns

Holy shit this game is awesome! I'm loving the size and scope and Death is a great action character to play, and the visuals? Damn!!! (thanks to Q for his injector link)

Here are some early(ish) 1440p screens. I'll only post links in case any contain spoilers unless gaf tells me it's ok to blow up the thread lol.

Warning, possible spoilers?

http://i.minus.com/ib1C3M4uzvzKwC.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibwTw8Lfd0sEHu.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ip6WwDus9Rc6f.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ixAhh6NYTO9gq.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibnuAospZXhayT.jpg

I have noticed a bug in the PC version where the graphic for the pots is behind the main health bars etc. Hopefully it will be patched soon. SO far though, I'm in love.

This is how you do a proper sequel thanks!

KorrZ

I'm getting my ass kicked in the scar, monsters are lv17, maybe I should come back in a few levels(currently lv12.)

It's definitely do-able, I completed it at level 12. Don't be afraid to chug health potions and fast travel back to town to buy more if you get stuck.

jns

Nice screens, jns. It looks really nice on PC. I'll probably double-dip once I upgrade my PC set-up early next year.

Thanks mate. I haven't done much more than use Q's injector and forced V-sync and triple buffering. I keep meaning to play around, but I'm having so much fun in the game I never get around to it.

forrest

formerly nacire
So with the Just Frame meteor strike mechanic, could I theoretically use that to rapid fire fully charged arm blade zelda blasts? Or is there some kind of hidden limit? I can't seem to do it consistently.

Can you explain what you mean by "just frame"? I've seen it mentioned multiple times, but have no clue what it means.

Khezu

Can you explain what you mean by "just frame"? I've seen it mentioned multiple times, but have no clue what it means.

When you do the meteor strike move, the second you land, well sometime during the landing animation, if you time your attack just right, you can initiate the charged version of any secondary weapon instantly. In my case arm blades, which is a zelda style ring projectile that does lots of damage.

Just frame means that you only have a single frame of animation where you can activate it, so its kinda hard to do.

Gambit61

So, I was catching up on the topic and a few people mentioned adjusting the gamma level. I went to see if mine were correct and all I see is this:

mms1R.jpg

It's like I'm running into every random bug that's been mentioned online so far lol.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I'm pretty sure DS2 just screwed me.

In the land of the dead, in the Psyche-arena thingy

I just beat the Spider and the ghost guy. Now I'm trying to get out. It won't let me come back in, and Dust just keeps going in circles in the arena that I beat the spider. What the hell am I suppose to do?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. The game just doesn't like my xbox controller fast traveling from inside a dungeon. It's fine with my keyboard doing it.

KevinCow

Banned
I've bought two attacks that I can't figure out how to do.

One of them says to press Triangle as a Heavy Power Attack hits. I've experimented a bit, and I can't figure out what it means by that.

Another says to press the button again in the sweet spot for extra bonuses. I have no idea what the sweet spot is, or how to tell if I'm doing it right.

Also, I still have no idea what the Strength stat does.

KorrZ

One of them says to press Triangle as a Heavy Power Attack hits. I've experimented a bit, and I can't figure out what it means by that.

Another says to press the button again in the sweet spot for extra bonuses. I have no idea what the sweet spot is, or how to tell if I'm doing it right.

It increases the damage of Harbinger skills, Arcane increases Necromancer skills.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Str buffs the damage of Harbinger moves.

forrest

formerly nacire
When you do the meteor strike move, the second you land, well sometime during the landing animation, if you time your attack just right, you can initiate the charged version of any secondary weapon instantly. In my case arm blades, which is a zelda style ring projectile that does lots of damage.

Just frame means that you only have a single frame of animation where you can activate it, so its kinda hard to do.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying!

Just beat the game! Still missing a ton of stuff though. The one thing that really stands out is I'm missing two ability slots. I have a guess of what they are, but I'm not really sure where to even begin looking for them.

Edit: I found an epic Scythe with straight life steal. So I don't really know what that means for gear later, but I thought people might like to know.

Daante

Can anyone guide me for the best tweaks on a AMD Radeon card?

Install Radeonpro ? (never used it before, CCC always seemed to do the job in the few games i played)

Force AA and AF?

Thanks!

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've seen zero tearing in the 360 version. Others say they see a ton. It's not a case of me not knowing what to look for. I hate tearing. This game has none so far. I'm wondering if it comes down to the TV/monitor being used.
Does your display have 1:1 pixel mapping off or on?

Some games have tearing in their overscan area, iirc.

Aeana

I think I'm pretty behind most people now, but I'm really enjoying the game. Sadly, I had to turn down the game to 720p from 1080p because it was making my GPU reach uncomfortable heat levels (70C+, never seen over 60 with any other game). But I sit far enough away and display it on my TV so I can live with it.

Dantis

Just beat the game! Still missing a ton of stuff though. The one thing that really stands out is I'm missing two ability slots. I have a guess of what they are, but I'm not really sure where to even begin looking for them.

Edit: I found an epic Scythe with straight life steal. So I don't really know what that means for gear later, but I thought people might like to know.

What would you rate it on a scale of 1 - 10?

derwalde

Can anyone guide me for the best tweaks on a AMD Radeon card?

Install Radeonpro ? (never used it before, CCC always seemed to do the job in the few games i played)

Force AA and AF?

Thanks!

look for version 1.1.1.0 (beta) which lets you use FXAA/SMAA. its a really easy to use program. the options speak for themselves. if you got any questions left, feel free to ask.

Daante

look for version 1.1.1.0 (beta) which lets you use FXAA/SMAA. its a really easy to use program. the options speak for themselves. if you got any questions left, feel free to ask.

Thanks il try this when i come home from work.

Anyone else experiencing that alt-tabbing "out" from the game not is possible??

Edit found that im not alone: "The game has a noteworthy bug where alt-tabbing OR simply entering a menu screen when prompted can cause the menu screen or the play screen to "go gray", where music plays but the rest of the screen is the cloudy gray background. There is no escaping from this and it is functionally the same as a CTD."

What would you rate it on a scale of 1 - 10?

8.5 or 9

If it means anything I'm still playing looking for everything in the game that I can and intend to do a new game+.

The main issues I have with it are the world feels kind of empty, one really horrible sequence that is nothing like the rest of the game, and it suffers from far more bugs then I feel it should. I can forgive Bethesda game because of all the system games going on, but this one I can't. I feel the games problems stem from a lack of QA and a bit of focus testing. I have to imagine that if 2k or Warner Bros was the publisher this would have been a better game.

In contrast I really loved the combat. I like character action games, but don't like Bayonetta, DMC, or Ninja Gaiden because the combat is way too technical for me. This game seems to be an in between for simpler action games and the more advanced ones. I've run through the Crucible 10+ times and still enjoy doing it.

Loot is awesome. Armor has three distinct looks and as you level the gear becomes more visually elaborate. It scratching my loot lust in a way the Diablo 3 really didn't and I haven't even hit the legendary gear. Possessed weapons are a great idea and I've spent a lot of time working to build the best Scythes and 2-handers I can.

Traversal and the dungeons are really fun. It really reminds me of Prince of Persia + Zelda. I didn't really struggle with the puzzle but the truth of it is I haven't had an issue puzzles in video games since I was like twelve. They are varied though and by the end of the game you are being asked to use almost every tool the game has provided you with.

Feature

Banned
This game is a horrible port. 'you have to restart for the changes blalbal' . I restart and still my resolution is fucked up. The controls changing being hidden for some reason is also retarded. Haven't played past the first fight because I already got rage building up inside because of this.

burgerdog

I think I'm pretty behind most people now, but I'm really enjoying the game. Sadly, I had to turn down the game to 720p from 1080p because it was making my GPU reach uncomfortable heat levels (70C+, never seen over 60 with any other game). But I sit far enough away and display it on my TV so I can live with it.

70C should be fine for a GPU, you should bump it back up to 1080p.

Maffis

This game is a horrible port. 'you have to restart for the changes blalbal' . I restart and still my resolution is fucked up. The controls chaning being hidden for some reason is also retarted. Haven't played past the first fight because I already got rage building up inside because of this.

Press O while in game.

My game runs flawlessly. No glitches whatsoever. But I know a lot of people having random problems, which might not be related to a bad port but more of game that didn't get enough playtesting.

tragic

Developer
I was wondering if any of the devs could clarify what exactly the Talisman you get from the Death Tombs do? I have two of them and their description aren't really clear on their effects.

Blademaster = Unlocks ALL combat moves while equipped. Demonheart makes all common weapon drops turn into POSSESSED weapon drops. =)

I mentioned this a few posts back (or a few dozen by now!). Glad something more official and visible was posted! Definitely wanted to clear up that Jay/Mat weren't purposely misleading anyone.

Question for tragic, or anyone else that may be able to answer. When starting nightmare mode, do all the various dlc weapons and armor show up at the starting vendors/mail? I ask because the stupid linking accounts is still down (2 dlc weapons)and THQ are now saying to speak to Steam support over the Dark Talons and Skeletal Axe,. Which means I'll be waiting for days on a response from Valve, who will no doubt, send me back to THQ support.

I haven't even started the game yet, was hoping at the least linking would be back up by now.

I believe that when you start a game on Nightmare, it acts like starting a new game... so any items that you originally were mailed should show up. Not items that were mailed during gameplay, however. That being said, I'm not 100% sure though. I will check and get back to you as soon as I can confirm (or someone here can also!).

I purchased all of the skills available from Thane - will there be more later? About to head over to the
Lost Temple.

Also, I beat Gorewood at level 7. Pretty easy.

burgerdog

seriously there no way fixing stuttering issue?

There's a stuttering issue? Other than the lack of graphic options, this game runs absolutely flawlessly on my rig. Given that it's a pc game, expect some people to say that this is a horrible port, and others that it's one of the best(if we can forgive the lack of gfx options.)

tragic

Developer
I purchased all of the skills available from Thane - will there be more later? About to head over to the
Lost Temple.

Also, I beat Gorewood at level 7. Pretty easy.

As mentioned, there are more. Most importantly... FLIPSAW! =)

Then again, Advanced Weapon Training (for all the individual secondary weapons) is/are very good. You get the sweet spot charge!

Daante

I mentioned this a few posts back (or a few dozen by now!). Glad something more official and visible was posted! Definitely wanted to clear up that Jay/Mat weren't purposely misleading anyone.

Patching the game on PC is "free" as far as i know (?)
Hopefully we get a proper patch soon (?) with the graphical pc options that should be there.

Twinduct

Then again, Advanced Weapon Training (for all the individual secondary weapons) is/are very good. You get the sweet spot charge!

Not sure if you'll be able to answer this, but will DLC introduce abilities/ skills? Or will it be more focused on expanding the universe.

Just do a >.> if you can't.

KevinCow

Banned

What is the sweet spot charge? I bought it, and I've been unsuccessfully trying to figure it out.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
There's a stuttering issue? Other than the lack of graphic options, this game runs absolutely flawlessly on my rig. Given that it's a pc game, expect some people to say that this is a horrible port, and others that it's one of the best(if we can forgive the lack of gfx options.)

I get a terrible stuttering when I force Vsync :(

tragic

Developer
What is the sweet spot charge? I bought it, and I've been unsuccessfully trying to figure it out.

Once you purchase Advanced Training for a specific weapon type (let's say "Heavy" for this example), when you charge the Heavy, you'll notice a RING effect now. When the ring collapses on Death, release the button (there is a little rumble telling you when to release also). This will give you the most effective version of the charge move. Too early and you'll do the basic charge, too late and you'll do the overcharge.

Blademaster = Unlocks ALL combat moves while equipped. Demonheart makes all common weapon drops turn into POSSESSED weapon drops. =)

That is amazing! Thanks for letting us know. Am I right to understand that Hoardseeker gives a random green or better at random intervals?

tragic

Developer
Using the ingame vsync or D3DO?

edit
question for tragic:
How do I pull off the dragon punch with the gauntlets? Either I was seeing things or I definitely pulled off a ridiculous spinning uppercut.

Either Sweet Spot, Just Frame, or Godfist -> Rising Uppercut.

Sweet Spot (requires Advanced Gauntlet Training): Charge. Release when Purple Circle contracts.

Just Frame: Precisely timed Secondary button press upon landing from Meteor Strike (or during first cross-hit of last attack in X,X,X,X chain).

Rising Uppercut (requires purchase of Godfist and Rising Uppercut). Dash + Y, Y.

burgerdog

Either Sweet Spot, Just Frame, or Godfist -> Rising Uppercut.

Sweet Spot (requires Advanced Gauntlet Training): Charge. Release when Purple Circle contracts.

Just Frame: Precisely timed Secondary button press upon landing from Meteor Strike (or during first cross-hit of last attack in X,X,X,X chain).

Rising Uppercut (requires purchase of Godfist and Rising Uppercut). Dash + Y, Y.

Awesome! Off to the crucible to practice after I beat Ghorn, thanks for the help. :D

Top Bottom