• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

ced

Alright so I'm up to clearing the first little dungeon and moving to the tears place.

Really enjoying this much more than the first, but I'm still really irritated with the following, and don't understand how these options didn't make it in.

Auto camera seriously needs an off toggle, wouldn't hurt to back the camera out a bit too.

Need an option for a toggle lock on, not hold. I've adjusted to just letting go of the lock to use LB, but it's a really poor design.

Jinaar

So I forced Vsync from the Nvidia control panel with triple buffering. I've also used D3D alone and with the nividia forced vsync and the game is STILL stuttering.

Does anyone have any idea of notice of a patch b/c this is ridiculous! I just can't play the game this way!!

I read one solution on the DS2 Steam Forums. It has produced the best results for me because I understand the stuttering issue you have.

My hardware is:
i5 2500
NVidia Geforce 560 Ti - 1GB
8GB RAM

What I setup:

- Darksiders II InGame Options: Set VSYNC: ON
- NVidia Control Panel: Set TRIPLE BUFFERING and VSYNC: Use Global Settings (On)
- D3DOverride: Set TRIPLE BUFFERING and VSYNC: ON

That has eliminated screen tearing and there is almost zero stuttering now. FPS sits at a constant 60FPS.

I am going to use FXAA INJECTOR tonight to see if I can get that to work out without taking a performance hit.

But playing the game without stuttering completely helps reduce the strain it can cause when viewing the game.

EDIT: Using this set up did introduce slight shimmering on the wooden wall ledges that Death can grab to scale up walls. From a long distance the texture of these wooden ledges appear the normal, but the moment I move, they flash between their normal texture and then into some vibrant dark shimmer overtop of it and then back to normal and this continues on as I move around.
I may try to use nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=d_optimizations#NegLOD) to resolve this, but if there is another way with the tools I have already installed, I'm all ears :)

RPGCrazied

I'll be one of the few playing this last. Still got a couple days of shipping. Any tips on what I should do first when I first start playing?

Jinaar

So I was about to buy the game in Steam but it seems like I might be better served grabbing it on 360.

I wouldn't say that. Darksiders2 is having alot of the same issues that Darksiders1 had. Once you resolve them on your PC, the game is a pure gem to play on PC.

Originally, I purchased DS1 on 360 and passed it. A year later during a Steam sale I got DS1 again. I had all the same issues of stuttering and what not, but once that was resolved, playing the game again with everything maxed is just a delight.

Getting DS2 to be optimized with my current machine, you can see how great the game really does look. So colorful and bright, clean as well.

That is the rub with PC gaming: Console gaming is very WYSIWYG, compared to PC gaming where you are given a blank canvas which you can create anything on it, completely governed by your desire to succeed to see your work of art to be the best it can be. (Probably not the best analogy but its early in the morning. The coffee isn't powering up shit in the body yet, especially not the brain)

FtHTiny

I haven't experienced any bugs, and I'm not playing on PC so the quality of that port is of no relevance to me.

So I stand by my statement.

I had:
-death can´t stop flying in the air (theres a vid here somewhere)
-getting semi-stuck in a wall on
a small guardian
where only constantly hitting would get me unstuck
-you have to aim over your target to hit it (with pistol and grip)
-2 crashes to the desktop without any message afterwards.
-event don´t trigger right at the first use constantly (steping on a switch,
sending the ghost on a switch, hitting the bombs on the guardians arm)

Coconutz

Neo Member
I played through the first Darksiders on Xbox and was thinking about getting Darksiders 2 on Xbox as well. From what I'm reading it sounds like I should get it on Steam instead. Is it really that much better on PC?

The game crashed for me probably 3 times yesterday after playing for 3 hours or so.
Every time it was during a fight.. A couple times I had some freezing, then the screen flashing and the mini map showing up as black until I pause and un-pause the game.

It's been great so far, barring those glitches. I plan on turning off in-game Vsync and using strictly D3DOverrider and CCC for triple buffering and Vsync when I get back into it later today.

Definitely enjoying it more than DS1.

Dascu

World 2 question:
There's an optional dungeon in the Maw. One of the first rooms involves a bomb and some yellow crystals. However, I can't figure out how to throw the bomb at those crystals. The bomb is too far away to grab it. I tried to toss it up above the crystals in the hope that it falls down on them, but it doesn't seem to be working. What am I doing wrong here?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I get the occasional freeze when navigating back to the game from a menu, leaving me with no choice but to kill it via Task Manager, but aside from that I've not experienced anything out of the ordinary.

Kem0sabe

I played through the first Darksiders on Xbox and was thinking about getting Darksiders 2 on Xbox as well. From what I'm reading it sounds like I should get it on Steam instead. Is it really that much better on PC?

Nope, it has worse controls (unless you play with a controller of course), has next to no graphical optimization and configuration options and has some truly ridiculous bugs. I would prefer to be playing it on my PS3 to be honest.

Had to reload several times today because suddenly my weapons couldn´t effect the environment and the enemies, collision detection on weapons seemed to suddenly turn off, also mob ai didn´t seem to detect me. Anyone else?

ironcreed

Banned
If you are getting a second free copy, is there a way to track that one?

Not as of yet, but I am still tracking the first one they sent through the USPS. It is still going all over the place and has been through my local post office twice. Not sure if they will straighten out the first one that was sent and I will receive that one or if they will just send another. Either way, it's been a mess. But at this point I am just hoping that UPS delivers 1 copy today. It says it's out for delivery, so I guess I'll know soon enough.

Oneself

Got my ltd edition yesterday, PS3 version, it runs perfectly so far. No tearing at all. Frame rate seems locked between 25 & 30 fps. In fact, it seems to be running at 30fps but, like in the first game, the animation feels a bit "shaky" so it's hard to judge.

I'm playing via HDMI on a Samsung LCD (60hrz, pixel ration 1:1)

World 2 question:
There's an optional dungeon in the Maw. One of the first rooms involves a bomb and some yellow crystals. However, I can't figure out how to throw the bomb at those crystals. The bomb is too far away to grab it. I tried to toss it up above the crystals in the hope that it falls down on them, but it doesn't seem to be working. What am I doing wrong here?

Noticed this too. Couldn't figure it out either

ironcreed

Banned
Got my ltd edition yesterday, PS3 version, it runs perfectly so far. No tearing at all. Frame rate seems locked between 25 & 30 fps. In fact, it seems to be running at 30fps but, like in the first game, the animation feels a bit "shaky" so it's hard to judge.

I'm playing via HDMI on a Samsung LCD (60hrz, pixel ration 1:1)

Good to hear. I was starting to worry, as there are some complaints over on the official forums that the PS3 version has been constantly freezing.

KevinCow

Banned
I wish the bird didn't glow green. I keep confusing it for collectibles. Then a few times, I've almost ignored collectibles because I thought they were just the bird.

It would make more sense to be a shade of purple, to go along with Death's color scheme.

I like the idea of playing this purely as an Action RPG. I hate dungeons puzzles of all kinds, is there a "just show me" option so I can keep in the action?

FtHTiny

Has someone bought chests for the boatman coins yet?

How do they work? Do you get an possesed item with your current level or what?

I was checkin the Trophy list and it does have one for finishing on Apocalyptic. I though I read back in the thread that it wasn't required to get the Plat. Anyway love the game Bugs and all and boy are there a bunch. I've had cut scenes with no voices/text. character models doing weird things and the game getting stuck when starting conversations.

Abylim

Awesome game! Worth the wait!

If any gaffers have any spare possessed scythes in the lvl 8 range, and dont want em anymore, send em my way! I have 3 possessed secondary weapons, so if you want something in return let me know! PSN: Abylim

World 2 question:

Some dungeons you will have to come back to later in the game and use new abilities/items Death has acquired. Metriodvania style.

TentPole

I wouldn't say that. Darksiders2 is having alot of the same issues that Darksiders1 had. Once you resolve them on your PC, the game is a pure gem to play on PC.

Originally, I purchased DS1 on 360 and passed it. A year later during a Steam sale I got DS1 again. I had all the same issues of stuttering and what not, but once that was resolved, playing the game again with everything maxed is just a delight.

Getting DS2 to be optimized with my current machine, you can see how great the game really does look. So colorful and bright, clean as well.

That is the rub with PC gaming: Console gaming is very WYSIWYG, compared to PC gaming where you are given a blank canvas which you can create anything on it, completely governed by your desire to succeed to see your work of art to be the best it can be. (Probably not the best analogy but its early in the morning. The coffee isn't powering up shit in the body yet, especially not the brain)

I disagree completely. This game has low res textures on menus and other 2D textures. Multiple crashes and hang ups and the aiming courser is inaccurate. Until you force vsync it is even overheating certain setups to the point of shutting down entirely. Until these issues are fixed (and I am pretty confident that they will be) it is a hard argument to make that PC is the superior version and it is most defiantly far more buggy and full of issues than the original game.

But besides all of that this game is awesome. So just make sure you pick up a copy somehow.

RPGCrazied

I was checkin the Trophy list and it does have one for finishing on Apocalyptic. I though I read back in the thread that it wasn't required to get the Plat. Anyway love the game Bugs and all and boy are there a bunch. I've had cut scenes with no voices/text. character models doing weird things and the game getting stuck when starting conversations.

That's Nightmare.

Does anyone with the soundtrack know what song plays on the Darksiders II PS3 XMB menu before you start the game? I've listened to everything on youtube I could find, and I haven't heard it.

IronRinn

I think I just got reeeeeally lucky. Managed to unstick my companion from his seemingly eternal prison in the corner of the room. Don't know if using the keyboard and mouse had anything to do with it but, regardless, I am back on track. Made a copy of my save this time.

Wiseblood

How do I get this bridge down in The Scar? I'm near the end, I just need to get this custodian into position so I can cross the chain to the final room but there's a bridge that I need to get lowered so I can get it across. I destroyed all the crystals around it but the bridge isn't dropping. I'm not seeing any switches either.

Plumpman

World 2 question:

If its the one I'm thinking of.
Go on the platform with the yellow bomb, grab it manually, then go on the platform below the bomb one (the one you use to get up). From there, you should be able to jump and throw the bomb midair at the crystals. That's as far as I got there, lol.

Dascu

If its the one I'm thinking of.
Go on the platform with the yellow bomb, grab it manually, then go on the platform below the bomb one (the one you use to get up). From there, you should be able to jump and throw the bomb midair at the crystals. That's as far as I got there, lol.

Will give this a try later, thanks.

Other question:
Where can I find Achidna?

forrest

formerly nacire
It's all about that execution chance for me. Been feeding my possessed weapons, Execution chance, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, (and currently) Wrath on Crit. The on Crit stat I may swap around in the future, but I wanted to try it so I can use more of my specials. Coupled with the increase in wrath generation from the skill tree (after using teleport slash) it's pretty strong.

But man o man dat execution chance! Absolutely huge in fights versus big guys. running 48% right now.

I'll be one of the few playing this last. Still got a couple days of shipping. Any tips on what I should do first when I first start playing?

• Start on Apocalyptic
• Don't worry if you can't reach certain items early, you can always go back
• Make sure to check the Tome (your inbox for offline/online gifts) once you get to Tri-Stone
• Try to beat
Thane
early on to get 4 elite boss sidequests

I think you can force 1080, but it defaults to 720, methinks.

Yeah, I've read that the game the likes to go 720p on certain TVs. It's set to 1080p on mine and it looks smooth.

malfcn

Is there a recap video of DS1 for the story? I remember it was a cluster of screwing each other and the Charred knew about it, but I want to be clear on it all.

Top Bottom