• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Kem0sabe

Is there a recap video of DS1 for the story? I remember it was a cluster of screwing each other and the Charred knew about it, but I want to be clear on it all.

A war has raged between Heaven and Hell since the dawn of creation with neither side gaining the advantage over the other. Amidst this conflict, a mediator group - The Charred Council - arose, and dedicated themselves to maintaining the balance, using the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (War, Death, Strife and Fury), to intervene and deal justice among both forces where necessary. Eventually, the primitive humans were discovered and the third kingdom was named: The Kingdom of Man. The Council foresaw that humans, while weak, were also cunning and would one day be integral to the balance. They facilitated a truce between the two kingdoms after countless centuries of war, to lay down their arms until the End War that would decide the ultimate fate of the three Kingdoms. This War would be sparked by the breaking of the Seven Seals.

In the present day, armies of demons and angels fall to Earth and the final battle begins, the two forces destroying everything in their wake. In the midst of the chaos, War is summoned to Earth to bring order. Upon his confrontation with Abaddon, the general of Heaven's army, War discovers that the other Horsemen have not arrived and the Seventh Seal has not been broken. Straga, a powerful demon, arises from the ground and kills Abaddon. War battles Straga and is defeated, but is saved from death and sent to The Charred Council, accusing him of bringing about the Apocalypse prematurely. The Council sentences him to death, but War demands a chance to find the one responsible for summoning him prematurely, and to restore balance. The Council agrees, on the condition he is bound to one of their keepers, The Watcher, who has the power to kill War in the event that he strays from his mission.

Upon returning to Earth, War discovers it has been a century since the demon lord called "The Destroyer" led the forces of Hell to victory and annihilated the armies of Heaven, save for a meager resistance ("The Hellguard") led by the angel Uriel. All of humanity has either died or become zombies and the Earth is in ruins. Allying with the conniving demon merchant, Vulgrim, War learns the Black Tower is The Destroyer's lair and is advised to seek out Samael, a once powerful demon lord, for assistance in getting into the Tower. Samael explains that four Chosen demons guard the Black Tower, and he asks War to slay them and bring him their hearts in exchange for gaining access to the Tower. On the way to slay the second guardian War meets Ulthane, one of the Old Ones, and befriends him after a confrontation and helping Ulthane defend his home from Uriel and the Hellguard, who seek to kill War, believing the rumors that he caused the Apocalypse and Abaddon's death. When War confronts the last guardian, Silithia, he discovers the Chosen never protected The tower - their purpose was to stop Samael's return to power at any cost. Regardless, War brings Samael the Chosen's hearts as proof of their deaths and, upon receiving the final heart, Samael honors his word and sends War to the Black Tower, remarking that they will meet again.

At the Tower, War encounters Azrael, the Angel of Death, imprisoned there. Azrael confesses that he and Abaddon conspired to bring about the Apocalypse ahead of time, fearing a delay would risk Heaven's defeat. However, the plan fell apart with the death of Abaddon. War decides his bargain with the Charred Council is complete, but The Watcher decides otherwise, citing the Destroyer must die for balance to be restored. War journeys deeper in the Black Tower, where he confronts and slays Straga, avenging his earlier defeat.

Azrael, now freed following Straga's death, saves War as the Tower collapses, and takes him to the Garden of Eden. He tells War that the Tree of Knowledge can reveal to him how he can defeat The Destroyer. The Tree gives War a vision: after Abaddon was killed, he was taken to Hell and offered the choice by an unknown entity to serve in Heaven or rule in Hell. Abaddon chose the latter and became the Destroyer, guarding the unbroken Seventh Seal. The vision also predicts the Destroyer plans to lay siege to Heaven; Uriel will lead the Hellguard against him and be defeated. The Charred Council foresaw these events, and concluded that only the Horsemen could stop the conspirators, but knew they would not carry out their mission, without justice (since they would be killing for something they were planning to do rather than an actual crime) and would never lower themselves to become assassins. Thus the Charred Council allowed Abaddon and his allies to start the Apocalypse early and summoned War so they could accuse him, knowing he would do anything to clear his name, inevitably killing the conspirators. War also sees a vision of himself being taunted by The Watcher and then being stabbed through the back with a large and mystical sword. Azrael deduces the weapon is the Armageddon Blade, capable of slaying the Destroyer, and tasks War to find the shards of the blade and take them to Ulthane to reforge it.

Uriel confronts War a second time, challenging him to a fight to the death. War is victorious and spares her, despite the urging of The Watcher. He promises Uriel that her death will be at a time of his choosing and reveals the Destroyer's true identity. Grief-stricken and enraged by this knowledge, Uriel leaves to prepare the Hellguard for battle. Once War collects all of the sword fragments, he returns them to Ulthane so he can reforge the Blade. Meanwhile, Uriel and the Hellguard attack the Destroyer, and as predicted, they fail. In the aftermath, War confronts the Destroyer and is given the option to join him. War refuses and battles the Destroyer, who reverts back to Abaddon when War destroys his demonic form with the Armageddon Blade. War duels with the angel and defeats him. Beaten and humiliated, Abaddon reaches out to Uriel for help; she bitterly replies "Reap what you have sown, betrayer" and lets War kill Abaddon.

War retrieves the Seventh Seal, but is stopped by The Watcher, who tortures him and steals the seal, knowing he would turn against the Council. As he is about to kill War, Uriel takes the Armageddon Blade and stabs War through the back, as the Tree of Knowledge foretold, fulfilling the death oath declared earlier. Uriel's action also breaks the Seventh Seal, summoning the other Horsemen. This act restores War's powers and brings him back to life. Now free of The Watcher's control, War kills the creature. Uriel tells War because of his deeds, all debts have been repaid, but warns him that her duty likely requires her to raise her blade against him. As War departs, Uriel points out neither Heaven, Hell or the Charred Council will forgive his transgressions. Asking if he will wage this new war alone, War remarks, "No. Not alone". The game ends as three meteors plummet towards Earth, heralding the arrival of the remaining three Horsemen: Strife, Fury, and Death.

Simple version...

War is falsely accused of starting an apocalypse.

War is told he was set up.

War finds out the person telling him he was set up, is in fact the person who set him up.

War seeks revenge.

War gets revenge.

• Start on Apocalyptic
• Don't worry if you can't reach certain items early, you can always go back
• Make sure to check the Tome (your inbox for offline/online gifts) once you get to Tri-Stone
• Try to beat
Thane
early on to get 4 elite boss sidequests

Yeah, I've read that the game the likes to go 720p on certain TVs. It's set to 1080p on mine and it looks smooth.

Why start on Apocalyptic? This game calls for a NG+ when you beat it. Why not go Normal first and then use Apocalyptic for that?

Derrick01

Banned
Using the ingame vsync or D3DO?

edit
question for tragic:
How do I pull off the dragon punch with the gauntlets? Either I was seeing things or I definitely pulled off a ridiculous spinning uppercut.

I use D3D and the stuttering is really bad. The in game Vsync doesn't seem to work unless it was patched and I somehow missed it. I tried playing without d3d on and the game tears pretty good, so I chose to go with stuttering since it's the less annoying of the two. But I hope something can be done about it because otherwise the game runs at a stable 60fps for me and it looks great. It's just hard to focus with the stutter.

I am at the Foundry right now, and all the temples so far have felt the exact same, except have a different color. I loved the first game, but I am starting to feel like this game ias about going through the motions, over, and over, and over, and over again. Maybe it's because not all the temples have bosses or there is no reward/eqipment for completing each temple. I don't know. I am finding myself a bit bored in the Foundry. I just got the second heart for the guardian.

I hope the game picks up soon.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why start on Apocalyptic? This game calls for a NG+ when you beat it. Why not go Normal first and then use Apocalyptic for that?

Because new game plus in this game unlocks the final ten levels of your character. New game plus in this isn't typical new game plus. It's darksouls new game plus in a sense. Game feels balanced around apoc as well not normal.

I am at the Foundry right now, and all the temples so far have felt the exact same, except have a different color. I loved the first game, but I am starting to feel like this game ias about going through the motions, over, and over, and over, and over again. Maybe it's because not all the temples have bosses or there is no reward/eqipment for completing each temple. I don't know. I am finding myself a bit bored in the Foundry. I just got the second heart for the guardian.

Aw crap, I just got there. I've been enjoying it so far, though.

I also loved the dungeon design of the first game. The dungeons in this so far have been pretty simple.

tjohn86

Because new game plus in this game unlocks the final ten levels of your character. New game plus in this isn't typical new game plus. It's darksouls new game plus in a sense. Game feels balanced around apoc as well not normal.

Sorry can you explain new game + again?

I was planning on doing apocalyptic the second time around. You just get dumped back into the world with everything you've completed?

AAsking if he will wage this new war alone, War remarks, "No. Not alone". The game ends as three meteors plummet towards Earth, heralding the arrival of the remaining three Horsemen: Strife, Fury, and Death.

This gave me chills when I saw it years ago. It gave me chills reading it.

Oh, my PS3 PAL copy has been shipped :) I thought they wouldn't ship it until Monday but they already did, so I can expect it to arrive at my door beginning next week. Super hyped!

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think I might be at the last dungeon of the Forge Lands and I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOOOOVE THIS GAAAAAAME!

Anybody who doesn't have Darksiders 1 wants the War stuff? I have better gear now.

I'm using dual 6870s and while the game looks great the screen tearing is pretty terrible.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet? It is pretty distracting.

I hope we get to play the 2 remaining horseman in sequels, even better if the next game has 4 player co-op...

If there is to be another Darksiders, it should still be a single player game, wherer you take control of all the horseman at different points in the game. And it should pick up right where the first Darksiders left off, taking control of War.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sorry can you explain new game + again?

I was planning on doing apocalyptic the second time around. You just get dumped back into the world with everything you've completed?

No you start the game over with what ever you have and the level cap is raised. This is the only way to get the final items in the game and get to the final section of the crucible

Dascu

The first game had only a handful of dungeons, but they were very big and rather distinct, each with their own gimmick and special item (much like Zelda). This game is more a series of smaller dungeons that only vary slightly from eachother. I can see why people dislike that approach. It personally doesn't bother me too much though.

I'm about 8 hours in, and I'm enjoying the game so far. Only problem I'm encountering at the moment is it seems like most of the dungeons are essentially the same. The puzzle solving seems to be really repitive too
Putting the ball into the little recess to unlock a door, etc

I'm using dual 6870s and while the game looks great the screen tearing is pretty terrible.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet? It is pretty distracting.

Only solution I've found is to tone down the game to 720p. Sucks, but it works for me. =(

Ridley327

It was nice of the game to send the last of Thane's marks at you like that. Sure beats doing another mini-dungeon in the middle of nowhere!

okay . platforming sequences indoors where the sun is a giant glowing ball, blocking my sight? I mean it was funny at first. That they could completely overlook a luminous orb on the wall. But it's starting to piss me off. I hear it's caused by forcing AA, but i don't want to give that up...

EDIT: was it not just in steamapps/darksiders II?

I am loving this game but I need some help with the combat. I decided to do the scar at level 12, yeah enemies are like 5 levels above me. I know its supposed to be heard but there is a part that is practically impossible but I know if this game controlled better I could do it.

Am I doing something wrong cause the camera is just a mess in big battles. Enemies are flying from out of screen with hits. I dodge in a certain direction only to have the camera shift so that now I am dodging into enemies. You cant cancel out of some animations leaving me stuck while I get battered. Should I not be using lock on, it seems to me it causes the camera to freak out more and it picks horrible targets at times. I dont recall DMC or even GoW ever giving me this much trouble with the camera or allowing my character to move the way I want him to.

Ridley327

I am loving this game but I need some help with the combat. I decided to do the scar at level 12, yeah enemies are like 5 levels above me. I know its supposed to be heard but there is a part that is practically impossible but I know if this game controlled better I could do it.

Am I doing something wrong cause the camera is just a mess in big battles. Enemies are flying from out of screen with hits. I dodge in a certain direction only to have the camera shift so that now I am dodging into enemies. You cant cancel out of some animations leaving me stuck while I get battered. Should I not be using lock on, it seems to me it causes the camera to freak out more and it picks horrible targets at times. I dont recall DMC or even GoW ever giving me this much trouble with the camera or allowing my character to move the way I want him to.

Yeah, the camera can be really awful at times when you're locked on, especially when you're facing off against large mobs.

There's one particular part of The Scar that will have you screaming at it.

Steam/Steamapps/common/Darksiders 2

Thanks. I found it just after posting that.

However I still can't get V-Sync to work even with Radeon Pro. I made a custom profile to force it but when the game starts I get a pop up message that says "Radeon Pro was unable to start Vsync" or something like that.

The game runs at over 100 frames per second but all I want is to get rid of the tearing and lock it at 60.

derwalde

Thanks. I found it just after posting that.

However I still can't get V-Sync to work even with Radeon Pro. I made a custom profile to force it but when the game starts I get a pop up message that says "Radeon Pro was unable to start Vsync" or something like that.

hmmm i got vsync working with the following settings:

Tweaks -> Vsync-Controll: Always on, Tripple Buffer, Refefresh Rate 60hz

In CCC and DS2 i have vsync turned off.

you got the latest drivers (12.8 was just released)?

malfcn

So last couple of questions.

Was there a Destroyer before Abaddon?
Was Abaddon's gift to become the destroyer knowing War would kill him?
Who betrayed Abaddon?
How exactly was War sent without him knowing?

Peterthumpa

okay . platforming sequences indoors where the sun is a giant glowing ball, blocking my sight? I mean it was funny at first. That they could completely overlook a luminous orb on the wall. But it's starting to piss me off. I hear it's caused by forcing AA, but i don't want to give that up...

EDIT: was it not just in steamapps/darksiders II?
If you're using a NVIDIA card, update to the latest beta drivers (305.something). They have a Darksiders II profile and eliminate the problem forcing AA.

Ridley327

I am at that part. I gave up, I will come back more leveled.

The funny part is the only section after that bit is the boss fight itself, which can also be a bit hairy once he's down to 50% health.

They must've known about how BS that part was, because the two chests before the boss are filled with health potions.

ced

Yet another OT that is 90% PC gaming BS, I can't even come in here to read about the game anymore.

Create a tweak / performance thread already.

JJD

Just got the game (PS3 version), looking forward to put some time into it.

Any game breaking glitches or bugs I should be aware and try to avoid?

Shit....so you are saying that I capped at 20 for my first playthrough? I just hit it this morning... I still have like 2 more worlds to go!

Top Bottom