• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

I'm about 20 hours in, and yeah, I love the game. I will say that even though that IGN reviewer caught shit for her review, I can agree with her on one thing; there may be too much unneccessary stuff in the game. "Go fight so and so, but before you fight him you have to fetch 3 items". "Go speak to what's his face, but fetch 3 items before you can meet him". I had to do this for 3 quests in a row; I got to the point where I was like, "Let's get on with it already!". It does get a tad repetitive.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man ... I suck :<

Edit: Ok Fuckit. For some reason I couldn't get up to that shitty platform earlier. My guy kept hovering when I tried to climb it and assumed it was not meant to be there ... fucking game

LOL yeah you have to go up the one single side they want you to go up.

I'm about 20 hours in, and yeah, I love the game. I will say that even though that IGN reviewer caught shit for her review, I can agree with her on one thing; there may be too much unneccessary stuff in the game. "Go fight so and so, but before you fight him you have to fetch 3 items". "Go speak to what's his face, but fetch 3 items before you can meet him". I had to do this for 3 quests in a row; I got to the point where I was like, "Let's get on with it already!". It does get a tad repetitive.

It can I guess, but I'm having way to much fun with the combat to care :lol

Yeah, 3 is the magic number in this game. Couldn't they design something with a little variation? Flip 3 switches, roll 3 stones, raise 3 platforms, fetch 3 items, etc is the gist of the dungeons I've been to so far.

tragic

Developer
Still have it.

PS3 version, btw.

Also, the top 8 in the Fastest Completion Time Leaderboard is all 000:00:00

Get on that shit, Vigil!

And nobody has completed Nightmare Mode yet, and only 2 completed The Crucible.

Already on it! Checked the records when I got in last night. Already working on finding the people that can make the hacked times disappear... and potentially prevent it from happening again (at least from the same people).

Yeah, 3 is the magic number in this game. Couldn't they design something with a little variation? Flip 3 switches, roll 3 stones, raise 3 platforms, fetch 3 items, etc is the gist of the dungeons I've been to so far.
It's a testament to the care given to this game that it can rise above these weaknesses for the most part; it's just fun to play. The devs may have cared a little too much, lol. There's definitely some fat to be trimmed here.

Duffyside

Banned
Don't know why I was waiting til I get the game to ask this; there are trophies for Normal and Apocalyptic difficulty, right? Can one platinum this game in one playthrough? If not, I'm thinking of doing Normal first run, and then Apocalyptic the second with NG+. That sound smart? Don't think I'll want to play it three times.

Don't know why I was waiting til I get the game to ask this; there are trophies for Normal and Apocalyptic difficulty, right? Can one platinum this game in one playthrough? If not, I'm thinking of doing Normal first run, and then Apocalyptic the second with NG+. That sound smart? Don't think I'll want to play it three times.

Apocalyptic difficulty Trophy, yes.

You need to reach level 30, and you need two play throughs for that.

This game gets more and more visually beautiful the farther I get into it. 11 hours in right now.

A few questions though;

Is there an item like strife's weapon rune that reveals all the locations of collectibles on the map? Its going to be a headache getting all the stones/boatman coins/relics/pages without it. I enjoyed that they revealed all the collectibles in darksiders 1 and metroid prime 3.

Does it matter what order you give stones to blackroot?

I just finished the first area and I am curious about future puzzles. No story spoilers, just gameplay.

Do they all involve rolling a stone into a hole going forward? I feel like I've done that 100 times already.

RPGCrazied

Geeze, probably won't get to play until Monday. Side note, don't do cheapest shipping at Walmart.com. Its like my package got to my state, then went to another state, only to come back. =/

Aggrotek

Just beat
the arena champion on the flying ghost ship.
Really digging this game, Apocalyptic difficulty wasn't tough at first, but it's ramping up.

malfcn

Finally booted the game. Still jumping through hoops to get things set.
Are there going to be achievements for Argul's Tomb, The Abyssal Forge (Day 60) and The Demon Lord Belial (Day 90) content?

First gripe..wtf can't I use the dpad in menus?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Steam downloaded 8.3 MB of something when I turned it on just now

Was there a patch or something? If so what did it change?

Ridley327

Just beat
the arena champion on the flying ghost ship.
Really digging this game, Apocalyptic difficulty wasn't tough at first, but it's ramping up.

Try not to have too much fun with some of the mob spawns in the next couple of dungeons!

The ones with
the lich and the skeleton champions, and the one with the waves of undead prowlers and stalkers
are agonizing with how uncooperative the camera can become.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So there's this guy named Thane at around 1 hour in. It's not really spoilerish, however the question I do want to ask could be? Although I doubt it.

Is it possible
to beat him in the fight straight away? Or do you need more levels? It felt like it could be done but half way through his health I would usually end up losing focus, since it takes so long

Also an 8MB patch just came down on steam, No notes? Wonder what it fixes

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone have any tips on the big guys with shields? I'm usually able to get past them with a bunch of dodging and lucky hits, but I feel like there's gotta be a strategy I'm missing.

So there's this guy named Thane at around 1 hour in. It's not really spoilerish, however the question I do want to ask could be? Although I doubt it.

Is it possible
to beat him in the fight straight away? Or do you need more levels? It felt like it could be done but half way through his health I would usually end up losing focus, since it takes so long

Also an 8MB patch just came down on steam, No notes? Wonder what it fixes

You can beat him at level 1. He telegraphs all his attacks pretty far ahead. Fully charged hammer strikes take a ton of his life away.

Pick this up today - will install and play when I get off work. Loved the first game to death and I think I'll be able to really sink my teeth into this one. Death's VA is much better than War's.

Disappointed in the amount of content blocked behind validation codes, but I bought it new so I guess it doesn't matter.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You can beat him at level 1. He telegraphs all his attacks pretty far ahead. Fully charged hammer strikes take a ton of his life away.

Ah. Yea, I just get slack and spam buttons haha. But it seemed like it was possible, even though getting hit once it's game over.

I might head back and do that.

I can't get over how epic in size the areas are.

Also, What's the point of the crow? He just kinda floats around doing crow stuff.

I forgot about the war ds1 loot for completing the first game. I never got it. I think because of the achievement glitches the game had. That sucks...I'm sure Vigil won't be patching the first game.

TGMIII

Anyone else having an issue with buying the ornate boxes. Every time I buy one I don't get a possessed item in my inventory but if I quit and continue I regain my coins again.

Ridley327

I forgot about the war ds1 loot for completing the first game. I never got it. I think because of the achievement glitches the game had. That sucks...I'm sure Vigil won't be patching the first game.

If it makes you feel better, it's not really all that great. The scythes are good early on because of the critical chance bonus (and the subsequent critical damage bonus), but they're quickly outclassed.

The Best Buy exclusive gear, on the other hand, was pretty darn great for level 5-10 or 11. The health generating bonuses they produce certainly bailed me out more times than I could count.

tragic

Developer
I just finished the first area and I am curious about future puzzles. No story spoilers, just gameplay.

Do they all involve rolling a stone into a hole going forward? I feel like I've done that 100 times already.

Nope. That's just first zone stuff.

Does your levels, items and stuff carry over to NG+? Or is it just gear?

Everything except Gear Items (the stuff you get during the story). Levels, Skills (which you can still respec), Loot... etc.

Man I am stuck in the Kingdom/City of the Dead. There's this drawbridge you gotta use a crank to turn, probably with your
split personality
, but I really have no idea what the fuck to do. If I let go, the bridge will go back to normal

RPGCrazied

Everything except Gear Items (the stuff you get during the story). Levels, Skills (which you can still respec), Loot... etc.

oh nice. level carries over? Yeah I'm so doing normal first then apocalyptic for ng+. I won't be touching Nightmare. lol

I hope nightmare is a good challenge, I haven't really had as much trouble as I thought I would in apocalyptic. DS1 hard mode seemed much tougher.

I'm swimming in gold right now, boatman tokens are my limiting factor otherwise I'd buy some legendary crates.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah I agree with the camera being WAY WAY too zoomed in. I don't recall it being this close in ds1 at all.

It was pretty close in the first one as well. It was a small complaint of mine then and still holds for the sequel. It's just a bit too tight and claustrophobic.

Does this include boatman coins? Thinking about saving all of mine until I'm max level.

Also, people were talking about the puzzles being easy, but as you get into the second area they really start getting better. Loving this game soo much!!!

But that is no different than go to this level to fight a boss. If you didnt do that stuff there would be no game. Basically it is complaining that they put content in the game.

I've encountered a pretty big glitch right at the beginning of the second world,
right after getting to the tree of Death I don't have a main quest marker on my map, so I can't advance, ostergoth didn't tell me to go the the flying ship so I can't do shit!
Does anyone have a save near that part on apocalyptic so I don't have to begin the game anew?

tragic

Developer
Does this include boatman coins? Thinking about saving all of mine until I'm max level.

Also, people were talking about the puzzles being easy, but as you get into the second area they really start getting better. Loving this game soo much!!!

Boatman Coins carry over (though your in-game stat will show 0... because it represents how many you've collected THAT play-through).

First zone puzzles are definitely on the easy side by design. Maybe a tad too easy? I definitely agree they pick up in challenge after that!

Syriel

Anyone else have problems with Arguls Tombs code on 360?

I enter it and the letters dont seem even and it says invalid.

Don't enter it in the Xbox. You have to enter it in on the THQ site like the little card says. :p

Boatman Coins carry over (though your in-game stat will show 0... because it represents how many you've collected THAT play-through).

First zone puzzles are definitely on the easy side by design. Maybe a tad too easy? I definitely agree they pick up in challenge after that!

There was one puzzle late in the game that completely frustrated me for a short while due to blatant misdirection.

I'm talking about the one in
Samael's lair where you have to move the bomb from the upper level to the main chamber and then blow up corruption in the past so it is clear in the present and you get the dungeon key

Due to the
portal locations, I was *CONVINCED* that I needed to get the bomb there thru the portal. Tried carrying it thru. Tried tossing it thru. Tried going to split personality and grabbing it thru the portal. Nothing worked. At least not until I'd tried multiple times and it suddenly occured to me that I could simply carry the damn thing down the stairs with a split personality hand-off

Realizing that was a total facepalm moment. It was so bad I'd swear the classic Picard JPEG flashed up on the screen in front of me. Loved that design. ;)

As for Boatman coins, good to know. Will save all of them until I hit clvl 30 on main save.

Top Bottom