• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

KevinCow

Banned
Is it just me, or is the hitbox on the Deposed King's mace completely fucking broken? Like he swings it down in front of him, I'm standing next to him, and it still manages to hit me. It's complete bullshit, and it's really pissing me off.

Is it just me, or is the hitbox on the Deposed King's mace completely fucking broken? Like he swings it down in front of him, I'm standing next to him, and it still manages to hit me. It's complete bullshit, and it's really pissing me off.

Are you being hit by an AoE shockwave?

I wouldn't know as I haven't played yet.

So I've spent the last few hours trying to find everything I could, but I'm kind of at an impass. Has anybody stumbled across an item that shows all the items in the map? I know there was something that did that in darksiders 1. I also can't figure out how the hell you attack the few enemies you come across in the game that seem to be in the shadow realm. I'm assuming it's the shadow realm anyways since they look like the shadow realm stuff from the first game.

So I just started this game and I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. How do I get my Darksiders I items?
2. Is the Deadly Despair DLC in effect from the beginning of the game? Or do I need to do something? How do I know it's working? The horse feels really slow to me.

All you are basically talking about is the story. Instead of them saying you need to recover three objects to meet this guy there could have been no NPCs and simply a door needing three keys. There is no difference at all, its just a story crutch. Now if your issue with the story then fine but as a game mechanic it is what all action/adventure games do.[/
So what you're trying to say is how dare I voice a complaint about something that you think all adventure games do? Simple; if I feel something is repetitive, then it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks, since I'm the one playing the game. You may not agree, and that's okay. My point still stands.

So I just started this game and I'm wondering a couple of things:

1. How do I get my Darksiders I items?
2. Is the Deadly Despair DLC in effect from the beginning of the game? Or do I need to do something? How do I know it's working? The horse feels really slow to me.

1. talk to the Shaman that sells talismans in the forge lands.
sorry I don't know the answer to the number 2.

After much trial and error, I have found a way to completely remove all the stuttering and vsync issues with the game.

(560ti, windows 7 64 bit, 305.53 Nvidia Drivers, D3D Overider)

So from experimenting here's what I found.

V-sync from game ( does not work )
V-sync from control panel ( massive stuttering)
V-sync from D3D ( less stuttering )
V-sync from D3D and Control Panel ( about the same )
V-sync from D3D in windowed mode = Perfect.

Here's the magic combination.

Set Vsync In the in Nvidia control panel to "Use 3D applications setting"
Set Triple Buffering to "on"
(you can freely set anistropic filtering to what ever value you want, and FX Antialiasing works just fine)

In D3D overider Set Vsync to "on" and Triple Buffering to "Off"

Now in the game make sure V-sync is not checked, and run the game in a window.

You should now have the game running in a window perfectly v-synced with zero stutter.
At this point, I used This Program to make the window go into border-less full screen mode.

The border-less window program did require an self update to work on the game, but its a simple procedure.

So there you have it.. a few hoops to jump through, but you will get a super smooth v-sync with zero stutter. ( this same principle applied to AOE online, running that game with forced v-sync in a border-less window removed similar stutter)

Also, when running in border-less window mode the in game gamma is ineffective. The game will just use whatever you native desktop gamma settings are. You can remedy this by using nvidia's built in Gamma and contrast correction from withing the control panel. I had to do this, as the game was a bit too dark.

Hope this helps anyone with stutter issues. As always with the vast array of different hardware and drivers out there, your mileage may vary.

If you need help just ask.

Wow, you're a genius! Runs perfectly now...I knew this rig shoulda been able to run this game without a problem.

Dahbomb

Just did two Just Frame Meteor into Hammer Charged attacks in a row during combat.

8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

The timing is just before you are about to land you input the charge and it comes out instantly. I don't think its one frame but its certainly timing heavy, it will take a while to get down.

Well, that's that.

Stuck in the foundry, cannot progress. One of the constructs I was riding is stuck on the environment and I cannot get him unlodged, and I need him to progress past a door.

Anyone know of a way to unlodge a stuck a construct or am I screwed?

KingKong

so how does this play with mouse and keyboard?

I played Darksiders 1 with mouse and keyboard and that was OK so I don't need perfect controls

KorrZ

Yeah, noticed the same thing when I fought him last night. The hitbox extends a good few feet to the side of where the mace hits. Luckily the wind up on it is so massive, you just have to remember to double dodge to the side.

Dahbomb

so how does this play with mouse and keyboard?

I played Darksiders 1 with mouse and keyboard and that was OK so I don't need perfect controls
Plays fine especially if you were used to DS1. I would just move dodge to a more accessible button (I have it on Space Bar and Jump on F, Toggle Lock on Alt) and use the Toggle Lock on button for locking on combat.

with the first darksiders ( with catalyst 12.7 and 6970 crossfire) I resolved the stuttering in this way.
Close d3doverrider (bad stuttering whit this game) disable v-sync via ccc, open Msi afterburner.

art 1: adding Darksiders II to the list
- Start menu > MSI > On-Screen Display Server.
- A little icon with "60" on it will appear in your tray, click it.
- Click the plus sign at the bottom left.
- Browse to your game directory and select "Darksider II.exe".

Part 2: setting maximum FPS
- Select "Darksiders II" from the list.
- Now click the wrench icon at the top right.
- Framerate limit: "60" or your preferred Refresh Rate (check your monitor specs).

Then you have to enable the v-sync in the game to avoid tearing.

I think that with this sequel (with the same engine) will works in the same way

BY2K

Membero Americo
Btw, I encountered some crazy glitch in the
Dead Plains

When I got to the
Breach
, for some reason I could fast travel to the Tome of
the Eternal Throne
and skip all of
The Breach
and the
Serpent's Peak
and
climbing the Leviathans to get to the Throne.
It screwed up the objectives and the primary objective marker, though, but just going back to
The Breach
and doing the stuff like I was supposed to fixed it. (Not sure I did the
Breach
the right way, though.)

But really, this game is bugged like crazy. What was the delay for, guys?

Sheap

Also, does anyone know which files I need to remove so that I can skip the intro logos and stuff on PC?

Be sure to make backups!

C:\(Blahblah)\Steam\steamapps\common\Darksiders 2\media\video

2011_THQ_Logo_FadeOut_720p.bik
Vigil_Logo1280x720.bik

forrest

formerly nacire
Just finished
Earth
and it's probably been the weakest part of the game so far, but only due to the
3rd person shooting
in my opinion. It felt pretty out of place in the first game as well. I still enjoyed the area and quests, but just didn't like how the pacing, enemies etc. were all designed and balanced around the
gunplay
. It's just kinda boring and cumbersome compared to the regular combat. More often that not, I would just drop the
gun
altogether.

I really hope they drop this idea in the future.

That being said, holy shit this game is soo damn good. I'm absolutely loving the length and content. I really hope all the talk about a reduced size for the next installment doesn't come to fruition. The whole thing is just so vast and epic!

But really, this game is bugged like crazy. What was the delay for, guys?

I would imagined they cleaned as much of it up as they could. You know at the end of the day, the developer doesn't always get the time they want to completely iron out everything. I'm sure this was a case of THQ letting the release date go as long as they could regardless of whether or not Vigil wanted to continue cleaning up the final code.

Dahbomb

Once I got the
Death Grip
I stopped using the gun altogether because it's so clunky in combat. The reloading is also lame as without an extra mechanic attached to the reload it just puts you off from using it even more. It might've been cool if they added like an active reload mechanic or some cool options to the gun. Also the targetting is buggy as hell, not only is the reticule extremely inaccurate at short distance but once you put off the targetting Death is still assuming the gun position but he's aiming at the air... I have to use a different move option so he would stop doing this, looks awkward as hell.

The entire lock on, camera and long ranged combat needs to be overhauled for the 3rd installment featuring Strife. Since you don't really need many of those options in combat you can easily get by most of DS2 without them but Strife should be all about these options.

malfcn

Thane is kind of a bitch. I am dodging my way behind him and he lands shots. A few times my evade gets stuck and I float around in the air. So far the combat is pretty fun thought!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How does Strength impact damage? I have a weapon that does 191-225 and gives 10 strength vs. one that is just 211-237 while dropping me down 10 str.

forrest

formerly nacire
I may have just completely fucked myself. I changed to windowed mode and restarted the game. Not I'm getting a critical error that says the Graphics Subsystem cant initialize because 1920x1080 isnt supported for fullscreen? WTF?

Gonna rage super beast mode if I can't get this back up and running.
LLShC.gif

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member
I may have just completely fucked myself. I changed to windowed mode and restarted the game. Not I'm getting a critical error that says the Graphics Subsystem cant initialize because 1920x1080 isnt supported for fullscreen? WTF?

Gonna rage super beast mode if I can't get this back up and running.
LLShC.gif

what kind of card, drivers, do you have?

How does Strength impact damage? I have a weapon that does 191-225 and gives 10 strength vs. one that is just 211-237 while dropping me down 10 str.

Strength is a modifier for the damage of all abilities in the Harbinger tree.

Man, life on hit makes the Crucible look like shit. Blew through those 25 waves, I don't think I ever got below half health.

The Achidna fist you get at one point in the game are absurdly good for that reason. They have both life on hit and wrath on hit. I have secondary weapons that do 500+ more DPS and still use those because of how good they are.

Oh the last skill in the Harbinger tree is terrible. It stops you from doing any attack and you still take damage while its active. In contrast the Necromancer tree ultimate allows you to continue doing damage and it can juggle all the lighter enemies.

forrest

formerly nacire
what kind of card, drivers, do you have?

Ati5850 Driver12.6

Funny thing is that its been running great, but I was toying around with it for a sec and now I cant even load it. :( I tried renaming my settings files too. Didnt do anything.

*Got it fixed, had to go to the exe then properties and check the box that disables display scaling. That let me get back in game to change it back to full screen. Shew, thought I was a goner! :D

Dahbomb

Life on hit/life steal is the way to go for sure. I had a life on hit weapon earlier but changed it for a higher damaging one, now I miss it sorely for those clutch situations. Because Death attacks really fast you can build up a lot of life really quickly. Wrath on hit is great too.

I can't wait to tackle the Crucible, my mouth salivates at the prospect of tackling 100 waves of enemies with a decked out Death.

I have an angel of death pack, crucible download and argues tomb for trade on the 360 if anybody wants to trade some other preorder stuff on the 360.

Dahbomb

By the way, from the way the game plays out in the early levels... the Makers armor is the best but the scythe from the Angel set is the best. Doesn't really matter because they are all LVL5 stuff and they get outclassed rather quickly but you are going to beast through the content in the Forgelands once you reach LVL5 even on Apoc.

The Achidna fist you get at one point in the game are absurdly good for that reason. They have both life on hit and wrath on hit. I have secondary weapons that do 500+ more DPS and still use those because of how good they are.

Yeah, this shit is just crazy good. Death attacks SO fast with the claws, that even losing 1,000 health from some powerful blows you can get it back in a second or too, plus a shitload of Wrath to help out. I'm not that far into the game(only done with two of the worlds), but I can't see myself switching from these things any time soon.

Top Bottom