• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Dahbomb

The music that plays when you fight the final boss in the first world.....

Ssssssooooooo gggoooooooooddd!!!!!!

This game is epic.

malfcn

Is there a way to increase the amount of health potions that can be carried?

And damn Dust for being green. Little thing makes me go exploring, thinking it is an item and then he flies away.

Ridley327

Just took a few stabs at
Bheithir

What a bastard. There are no way to avoid those attacks in that tiny fighting area. =(

My strategy:
get in close and stay close; you want to make sure that he's never in a position to spew lava at you, as that's the real killer in this fight. He takes big swings that are easy to dodge when you're right up on him. The other key to this is to not get behind him, as that not only prompts his tail attack, but he will use his divebomb attack shortly thereafter, which can knock you far enough back for him to spew the lava. Teleport Slash is quite effective in staying on him.

I just thought of something kinda weird; the first big expansion is going to be Argul's Tomb,
and yet there is already a tomb for Argul and you kill him. I wonder how that's going to be explained.

Going to blast through the
Foundry
since I wanna see the other areas.

Also, anyone think the
Foundry
was a glimpse at co-op in future games, maybe?

Bruiserk

Any tips for
Belthir
?

My strategy:
get in close and stay close; you want to make sure that he's never in a position to spew lava at you, as that's the real killer in this fight. He takes big swings that are easy to dodge when you're right up on him. The other key to this is to not get behind him, as that not only prompts his tail attack, but he will use his divebomb attack shortly thereafter, which can knock you far enough back for him to spew the lava. Teleport Slash is quite effective in staying on him.

I just thought of something kinda weird; the first big expansion is going to be Argul's Tomb,
and yet there is already a tomb for Argul and you kill him. I wonder how that's going to be explained.

Ridley327

Looks four posts up before yours. Ridley gives a strat, which I will try soon!

To add a little bit further, I would not recommend doing this fight at a low level, since it's a good idea to have all the health and defensive buffs as you can get. Unstoppable is also handy to have, since you'll want this one to end ASAP. That boss doesn't have anything nearly as nasty as one particular boss in that same quest line possesses, but a lot of little things add up very quickly.

One more bonus tip:
you can actually cheese the fight, if you so wish, by leaping off the bridge if things aren't going so well. Use the opportunity to regenerate some of your health back, and get back into the fight. The boss will still have all the damage done to it (provided you don't leave the area to buy stuff), so you can get back into it with a slight advantage if you want to go down that route.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, I knew I would like it, but this game just does so much right it is ridiculous. It's like all of my favorite kinds of games rolled into one. They just don't make games like this anymore.

- Old school dungeon crawling with puzzles.
- Linear enough in the right spots for pacing, and open enough to encourage exploration and deliver a huge sense of scale.
- One of the best loot systems, with some of the best loot I have ever seen. You are constantly finding something more and more epic.
- Wonderful atmosphere, great art and music.
- Progressively better combat like a hardcore action game.
- Leveling up and gaining new skills on two separate skill trees like an RPG
- Smooth as silk platforming that may be a bit too automatic, but the the gameplay is so fluid and the level design is so superb that it is purely a pleasure to play.

I am only level 6 and am on the Tears of the Mountain quest and know I have not even scratched the surface. But I have played enough to see that it truly delivers the vibe of an old school classic. This is easily going to be one of my absolute favorite games of the year. Just amazing.

Bruiserk

So, I just beat it. One question:

I thought Strife/Fury were supposed to have a role in this game? Didn't I read that somewhere? I guess we got Strife's gun..

This is my GOTY so far. We will see what AC3 has to bring but I think that is the only contender that could dethrone this game. A couple points:

- great art style. Although some of the textures were blurry when zoomed in, when you get a giant vista to look at and just take in everything as a whole it looks really good.

- music was excellent throughout.

- I think playing as Death was a lot more fun/unique than War. I feel like the developers put a good amount of effort into building his character and showing that through different animations/dialogue. I really enjoyed his voice as well.

- gotta love loot

- combat was better than DS1

- I really enjoyed learning about the history of the four horseman and
the nephilim

- temples galore. Even if they weren't mandatory they had smaller ones for side quests.

A couple negative points:

- Of course everyone is going to complain about lack of PC graphics options, so I have to as well. Wtf Vigil?

- I don't know if this can be considered a spoiler so I will put it in tags anyways.
The first environment was a good size. From then on, it got smaller and smaller. I would have liked more time spent in other areas. For instance, I think I only spent close to an hour in the final environment.

-
They were trying to create some emotional connection through Death and the Nephilim, but I never really felt it. I could see what they were trying to do with it, that Death wants redemption from destroying his own kin and feels guilty about it, but they never really got me to care.

edit: Damn it 50th post... someone quote so this effort wasn't completely wasted

I apologize for this, but I have to do this. I can't believe I was 50th post. I don't even know how many of you have beaten the game yet, but if you have let us hear your impressions.

Dragon's Dogma was something else...

I just feel like Darksiders II is going to be filling in the void where DD was lacking; variety in environments/areas, and a much better world/story.

ironcreed

Banned
Dragon's Dogma was something else...

I just feel like Darksiders II is going to be filling in the void where DD was lacking; variety in environments/areas, and a much better world/story.

You know, it may do it for me as well. I'll just have to see how the rest of the ride holds up. I love Dragon's Dogma, but this game is really knocking my socks off thus far. Like I said, I knew I was going to dig it, but damn, it just does so much right.

Typically, when a game tries to mesh so many different styles together, at least a couple of things go wrong and it unravels the entire ball of yarn. Not so here, everything just feels intricately laced together to make one monster of a game that fires on all cylinders. Good stuff for sure.

klez

Any tips for
Belthir
?

You can actually dodge all his attacks.
The fire breath has range of about half the bridge, so you can dodge all the way to avoid the fire and the dash. Smack him when there's an opening, and dodge back to avoid his claws. If you're cornered to one side of the bridge and he's about do the fire breath, teleport dash though and end up behind his, and watch out for his tail.

Well, that's that.

Stuck in the foundry, cannot progress. One of the constructs I was riding is stuck on the environment and I cannot get him unlodged, and I need him to progress past a door.

Anyone know of a way to unlodge a stuck a construct or am I screwed?
Sorry if someone answered this already but that happened to me. I used the heavy attack (Y) to dislodge myself, it moves him forward. I held the button down, but not sure if that makes a difference.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, that's that.

Stuck in the foundry, cannot progress. One of the constructs I was riding is stuck on the environment and I cannot get him unlodged, and I need him to progress past a door.

Anyone know of a way to unlodge a stuck a construct or am I screwed?

Did you get stuck between a rock and a crusher, by any chance?

Question

Is there any way to remap the buttons? Playing on PC with a 360 controller.

So much of it feels weird to me. I want RT to be dodge, RB to be skills, and LB to be shoot/throw. LB being skills makes no sense to me, because I have an extremely hard time using skills while locked on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Using L1+ face button to do special attacks while you use L2 to lock-on to an enemy is awkward as fuck.

To add a little bit further, I would not recommend doing this fight at a low level, since it's a good idea to have all the health and defensive buffs as you can get. Unstoppable is also handy to have, since you'll want this one to end ASAP. That boss doesn't have anything nearly as nasty as one particular boss in that same quest line possesses, but a lot of little things add up very quickly.

One more bonus tip:
you can actually cheese the fight, if you so wish, by leaping off the bridge if things aren't going so well. Use the opportunity to regenerate some of your health back, and get back into the fight. The boss will still have all the damage done to it (provided you don't leave the area to buy stuff), so you can get back into it with a slight advantage if you want to go down that route.

He's actually very easy if you keep your distance because his flame actually doesnt travel very far. just keep backing up while popping him with gun fire to build up wrath and when you run out of room and hes getting too close just teleport slash behind him, dodge away from his tail and his Aoe attack then rinse and repeat.

ironcreed

Banned
Using L1+ face button to do special attacks while you use L2 to lock-on to an enemy is awkward as fuck.

I am just going out of lock really quick for special attacks so far. That is just instinctively how I am playing it, so it's not an issue for me.

Took down the
Deposed King
what a pain, all for a weapon I cant use yet. Does anyone have a guide explaining the Possessed weapon system? Ive got some of it down, but I want to make sure I don't screw up my build.

TentPole

He's actually very easy if you keep your distance because his flame actually doesnt travel very far. just keep backing up while popping him with gun fire to build up wrath and when you run out of room and hes getting too close just teleport slash behind him, dodge away from his tail and his Aoe attack then rinse and repeat.

Forgive me if I someone else mentioned it but I don't see anyone noticing that the sides of the bridge have spots to hang off of to dodge all of the attacks without needing to have teleport slash.

Dahbomb

Any tips for Belthir?
There are numerous ways to beat him. I figured out at least 3. One of them is really broke and anyone who is even underleveled can beat him.

1) I am pretty sure the way that you are meant to fight him is that you are supposed to use the Deathgrip to get around. When he lights up the platform and you have no room to go you have three options A) Either hand on the side ledges, they are two spots where you can hang off of or B) Use the Deathgrip to get in his face and them some how come behind him (very risky) or C) Use the Deathgrip to go back to the platform you came from or D) Use the Teleport Slash to get behind him (also risky). Using the Deathgrip you can get in his face and do a ton of damage. Always be ready to dodge, his attacks do a lot of damage. You can get behind him and attack, just be ready to dodge the tail (least damaging of his attacks). Also be warned that if he is walking and you are hanging on a ledge, he can knock you off balance.

2) The other strategy is instead of using the Deathgrip you can use the Gun. Use the Gun to chip him from long distance and when he does the runway move hang off the ledge. When the fire has subsided, come back on the platform and chip him or try to attack him. Use the maximum range of the ledge and when you are corner try to get behind him and repeat the process.

3) This strategy I am 100% certain is broke. Basically this strategy is the "lame ass" strategy where you don't even get near him at all during the entire fight. You do what I said before (use gun to chip, hang on ledge then move back while shooting). When you run out of space to move back, you just jump into the lava. You will take minimal damage and reset the fight.... only he will have the same life as you left him. Keep doing this cheese method and you can easily beat him, you don't have to fight him up close at all.

Someone told me that it's possible to use the gun to knock him off the ledge, I don't know how that happens to be honest. Another person told me who was using a Necromancer build that ghouls + shield can be used to beat him rather easily as the ghouls distract while you turn on shield and attack him from behind. I use Harbringer spec and aside from the Teleport Slash my options are limited against him.

Did you get stuck between a rock and a crusher, by any chance?

Actually, I think I got stuck between a black spike of... goo, and Karn.

I noticed that every time I got onto the Construct, Karn would stand in the exact same place, right in front of me. I did a couple heavy attacks that moved him out of the way, and I was able to wiggle out of it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The music in this game is great. I think my only gripe with the music is that the boss music can be sometimes underwhelming. I was fighting some of later ones and I swear I was imagining Ocarina of Time battle music because the actual music was so.... bleh.

Einbroch

Banned
I am just going out of lock really quick for special attacks so far. That is just instinctively how I am playing it, so it's not an issue for me.

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. The game is smart enough to realize that I want to Teleport Slash to the target I was just attacking.

There are numerous ways to beat him. I figured out at least 3. One of them is really broke and anyone who is even underleveled can beat him.

1) I am pretty sure the way that you are meant to fight him is that you are supposed to use the Deathgrip to get around. When he lights up the platform and you have no room to go you have three options A) Either hand on the side ledges, they are two spots where you can hang off of or B) Use the Deathgrip to get in his face and them some how come behind him (very risky) or C) Use the Deathgrip to go back to the platform you came from or D) Use the Teleport Slash to get behind him (also risky). Using the Deathgrip you can get in his face and do a ton of damage. Always be ready to dodge, his attacks do a lot of damage. You can get behind him and attack, just be ready to dodge the tail (least damaging of his attacks). Also be warned that if he is walking and you are hanging on a ledge, he can knock you off balance.

2) The other strategy is instead of using the Deathgrip you can use the Gun. Use the Gun to chip him from long distance and when he does the runway move hang off the ledge. When the fire has subsided, come back on the platform and chip him or try to attack him. Use the maximum range of the ledge and when you are corner try to get behind him and repeat the process.

3) This strategy I am 100% certain is broke. Basically this strategy is the "lame ass" strategy where you don't even get near him at all during the entire fight. You do what I said before (use gun to chip, hang on ledge then move back while shooting). When you run out of space to move back, you just jump into the lava. You will take minimal damage and reset the fight.... only he will have the same life as you left him. Keep doing this cheese method and you can easily beat him, you don't have to fight him up close at all.

Someone told me that it's possible to use the gun to knock him off the ledge, I don't know how that happens to be honest. Another person told me who was using a Necromancer build that ghouls + shield can be used to beat him rather easily as the ghouls distract while you turn on shield and attack him from behind. I use Harbringer spec and aside from the Teleport Slash my options are limited against him.
That actually isnt risky at all, especially is you dodge away from him after. if you keep backing away he will just slowly walk toward you.

Carm

Question about fist weapon moves. I'm noticing after a Meteor Strike, occasionally, I'll do a one, two combo with the second one being an uppercut. It's not listed under moves and it's very inconsistent when it happens. I've tried to repeat it, sometimes it works, sometimes it's a normal one, two combo. Is this some hidden move? Seems inconsistent if so.

Just beat the main story with Death at lvl 21. Warning Completed side missions and collectables will not carry over to new game+. Kind of a bummer I have to collect all those dead pages again. All weapons and armor do carry over, which is great!

Top Bottom