• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

First half of the movie was slow, it's needed though as it sets things up but some scenes are either not needed or drags on way too long.

Fight scenes were okay. Final fight was really disappointing, they never really actually show them fight it's like one hit and then it just cuts away.
I'm not a fan of how Batman just straight up kills people.
Batman fighting Superman was disappointing.

I like Lex but I kind of don't. They never tell us why he does what he does and why he hates Superman so much. Batman was good. Gal stole the show in the third act but she doesn't really do much at all.

It's sad because I genuinely feel like there's a good movie in there somewhere. There's strokes of brilliance hidden in there but a majority of it is just average.

Oh and the blatant Justice League tease was terrible. Marvel was at least a little bit subtle of it. The loud music that played during it really didn't help.

5/10 for me.

Is it like Iron Man 2 levels of teasing bad? Because that wasn't subtle at all. In fact, the entire plot seemed to be based around SHIELD and Avengers.

Tabby

Is it like Iron Man 2 levels of teasing bad? Because that wasn't subtle at all. In fact, the entire plot seemed to be based around SHIELD and Avengers.

I felt as though it ruined the flow of the movie, it's not relevant to the plot and it's completely out of place. The
email subject
might as well have been called "JUSTICE LEAGUE SET UP"

Boke1879

I felt as though it ruined the flow of the movie, it's not relevant to the plot and it's completely out of place. The
email subject

That was my thought with the Knightmare scene.
The email file didn't bother me at all. Yes it was a setup but I felt it was somewhat organic.

a916

email subject

Man it's so crazy how polarising this movie is because I've seen reviews that were average to luke warm on the movie and said they loved the JL setup...

Tabby

Man it's so crazy how polarising this movie is because I've seen reviews that were average to luke warm on the movie and said they loved the JL setup...

Flash cameo was cool I'll admit it but the way it was done was just so obvious. Even I cringed.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
People on twitter seem to be enjoying the film. Most say it has flaws but no where near as bad as it's getting reviewed.
Assuming I like it as much as most of you guys I would be so very happy to see it have a huge OW and a strong 2nd weekend.

Tabby

That was my thought with the Knightmare scene.
The email file didn't bother me at all. Yes it was a setup but I felt it was somewhat organic.

I liked the Knightmare sequence. It dragged on just a bit too long but it showed
Bruce's paranoia and that he was going insane.

The email file though oh boy. It was during a sequence of events when things are getting intense but let's put a pause on everything to show clips of other metahumans. It wasn't relevant to the plot at all.

Ashhong

email subject

Sounds like they really did just cram a bunch of world building into here. Should have done it after credits

Boke1879

I liked the Knightmare sequence. It dragged on just a bit too long but it showed
Bruce's paranoia and that he was going insane.

The email file though oh boy. It was during a sequence of events when things are getting intense but let's put a pause on everything to show clips of other metahumans. It wasn't relevant to the plot at all.

Fair enough I just felt it was more organic than the knightmare scene even if a blatant set up. Knightmare should have been an after credits scene imp. Especially considering who we see after.

Simo

The thing with the Knightmare sequence is that it's one big glorified easter egg for comic book fans but without context to the casual audience, is confusing as hell and doesn't really serve the main plot
but kicks off an important thread that begins to lead up to the JL movie.
I dug the sequence a lot but I had to explain to a friend especially
who is showing Bruce this "vision".

The email scene is more like "ok the casuals might not get the Knightmare sequence so hopefully this gives them an idea" but maybe it would of been better earlier on in the movie by having Bruce view the files after the Knightmare and when he sees Diana's photo? After all at the end of the film he's taking charge of finding these other metahumans to brace for who's coming.

T-Rex.

Banned
Watched it. I have to say I did think it was too dark at times. Batman
straight up killing people, really?
and Superman was ok, not bad but nothing great. Too late to properly post my thoughts but overall I enjoyed it. 7/10 I'd give it, maybe higher on a rewatch but I'm not sure.

Wonder Woman's scenes were hype as fuck. Trinity on screen together was hype as fuck. It's nowhere near as bad as the reviewers made out.

Fuck that Flash cameo though. Terrible.

No spoilers of course
Was it a good movie? No
I love Man of Steel. Love it! But what can I say about this? To start, a previous poster described "fan film tier editing", and I agree. Scenes actually seemed out of order. But all the scenes were beautifully shot an the action was phenomenal though. Wonder Woman is awesome. Audiences will adore her, WB has a huge W with Gal Gadot. Yes people did clap when she appeared. Best Batman action ever on screen, with minimum cgi too. In the acting department, surprisingly Affleck did not have much to work with here. He was angry for most of the movie and I longed for him to display a wider range of emotions like in his scenes with Gadot. Here's the big problem, Superman is a blip. I honestly had no clue what he was doing, what was going on his head, at any point in the movie. I love Man of Steel because I understand Man of Steel. But here I am baffled by Superman. Oh he's about to deliver some epic dialogue, nope flies away. Oh he's getting a pep talk, nope stares longingly and doesnt say a word. This has a lot to do with Superman but much more to do with Batman, but I see it being very hard for someone not well-versed in the comic books to understand many things - (who the hell was he? why is he acting like this? where did that come from? what the fuck are you talking about? what the fuck is this?) - about this movie. Some changes the Knightmare sequence could have made an epic scene into an legendary scene. Finally, I cannot say much about the script except that it simultaneously built up Batman's animosity towards Superman too much and too little, if that even makes sense. The resolution to their conflict is so abrupt and unsatisfying despite the build up, and them not interacting much before that made them coming together anti-climatic - again like some scenes were cut.

Minor thoughts: Perry got the most laughs, Lois felt more natural here than MoS, Alfred was great, Doomsday was functional, really enjoyed Luthor but he should have as much setup to hate Superman as Batman did (or more in fact),

Does it deserve the RT score? Maybe
For this, I will reiterate much of what I said above. The scene to scene cuts were awful. This I think is what sunk it with critics the most, they can forgive a poor movie, but not a poorly made one. Likewise, all the comic fanboy parts of the movie are very offputting. Lastly, Batfleck does not have much to work with and Cavill has nothing but visuals. When those are the two marquee names, you want them to deliver the heat.

Should Snyder direct Justice League? Yes
Content-wise, the movie had everything. Zack treats the DC universe like a sandbox and he's the king of the playground. The "Snyderverse" isnt just a cute phrase. Ayer, Wan, whoever can handle the specifics - but all the big parts belong to him. Despite criticisms of handling of characters, the Dawn of Justice part of the movie was what I came wanting more of, not the Batman v Superman part. I'm very interested in the characters he is crafting and want to see them together. They are just so...cool, beyond their inherent iconography.
That said all of the Justice League cameos in this went on for WAAYYY too long.

My rating is a 5/10, but I will definitely buy the extended cut.
Contrary to my previous post itt, I have zero desire to watch it again in its current form (but I will watch the ever-loving hell out the opening credits on YouTube for years to come - its as good as Watchmen). I give Watchmen and Man of Steel both 9/10s by the way - two of my favorite movies.

After watching this movie, I get the feeling Zack really doesn't like Superman. God damn.

I loved his moments. He was really inspiring by the end.

legit spoilers
From a "wow Superman is going HAM" perspective, yeah I suppose. Him taking Doomsday into orbit and him returning from Sun soak to plow Spike hulk were the two best *action* moments, otherwise Batman & WW got better moments

Really my only suggestion to Snyder would be

kind of spoilers?
To knock the visions off. They take a good portion of time and most of the time they aren't integral to the plot. He could have saved 10 minutes by not doing visions and doing more exposition that would have made the film tide over better.

I really hope this hit's WB's expectations.

I am going to rewatch it as soon as Imax 2d hits. This would be the second movie in like 15 years that I've watched twice, the last being TFA.

Simo

Oh man the opening credits with a "Beautiful Lie" playing...the film really didn't let go of me from then on until the end and the soundtrack was so good in the film.

Ashhong

So question, how would you guys have restructured the movie? It's obviously jam packed. Would you cut out Lex? Just have Batman and Superman?

Tabby

I loved his moments. He was really inspiring by the end.

legit spoilers
From a "wow Superman is going HAM" perspective, yeah I suppose. Him taking Doomsday into orbit and him returning from Sun soak to plow Spike hulk were the two best *action* moments, otherwise Batman & WW got better moments

Really my only suggestion to Snyder would be

kind of spoilers?
To knock the visions off. They take a good portion of time and most of the time they aren't integral to the plot. He could have saved 10 minutes by not doing visions and doing more exposition that would have made the film tide over better.

I really hope this hit's WB's expectations.

I was more referring to Superman getting thrown around like a ragdoll by Batman literally and him getting his ass handed to him by Doomsday. He never had a moment to shine in this movie.

Boke1879

So question, how would you guys have restructured the movie? It's obviously jam packed. Would you cut out Lex? Just have Batman and Superman?

Nope. The only thing I would have cut out was the Knightmare scene. Put that after the credits and taken out the other "vision". That's it. You can't cut out Lex

Ahasverus

Not at all. continous scenes (there are some literally cut in half, then resolves hakf and hor later) More Lex(motivations please) more Bruce, more superman, less Lois, less perry, less everyone else, no flashbacks/weirs dreams, a few more action in the first hour, longer space between setpieces in the last act, and... Super ironically.... the Knightmare as a post credits scene. I know I hate them but if it should be in, it should be outside the main narrative.

VanWinkle

I'm most excited about the non-action parts. I loved Ang Lee Hulk and Superman Returns. I'm just not a HUGE action fan I guess. I hope there's some interesting stuff. I watched this trailer and I loved the lines and the portrayals and the general feel in it, but they may just be tiny moments in such a big movie.

After watching this movie, I get the feeling Zack really doesn't like Superman. God damn.
I think he likes him and was deeper on his character. This was probably Superman worst day ever, but he was Hope. You hope for him, multiple times. That's Superman l, that part of his character and I think that even as his worst there's still hope that he'll do something and even if he wasn't there there's still hope that he will come back.

Godddam the more I think about the film the better it gets. Looking forward for my second viewing.

Snaku

Banned
It was everything I wanted from a Man of Steel sequel, and more. It had structure problems in the first third, but once the major players and motivations settled into place the movie took off and never stopped entertaining. I'm dying to see if the Ultimate Cut smooths the structural kinks out. Once I realized we were basically getting
Dark Knight Returns
Batman I was completely fine with Bruce's methods, and Affleck knocked the role out of the park. Superman and Wonder Woman were also great, and I can't wait for Diana's solo film.

I never had a problem with the time Marvel uses to setup the following films, even in Iron Man 2, and I don't have a problem with it here either. It's really a necessary evil that Marvel themselves turned into the standard practice. Speaking of Marvel, I love the MCU to death, but this was a better and more honest effort than most of their films. BvS had something to say, something which really only the Winter Soldier can claim. I left the theater thinking about the issues and themes the film addressed, and not about when the next film in the phase is coming to tie up loose ends only to create many more. I appreciate that Snyder gave me something to chew on.

Screw the critics, go see the film and make up your own mind.

Also put an order in for the Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Armored Batman when I got home. Give it to me now.

Tabby

More action in the middle 2/4s of the movie. There's a lot of scenes that drag on too long or are just unneeded. I'd cut out all the Justice League teases and dream sequences.

Simo

It was everything I wanted from a Man of Steel sequel, and more. It had structure problems in the first third, but once the major players and motivations settled into place the movie took off and never stopped entertaining. I'm dying to see if the Ultimate Cut smooths the structural kinks out. Once I realized we were basically getting
Dark Knight Returns
Batman I was completely fine with Bruce's methods, and Affleck knocked the role out of the park. Superman and Wonder Woman were also great, and I can't wait for Diana's solo film.

I never had a problem with the time Marvel uses to setup the following films, even in Iron Man 2, and I don't have a problem with it here either. It's really a necessary evil that Marvel themselves turned into the standard practice. Speaking of Marvel, I love the MCU to death, but this was a better and more honest effort than most of their films. BvS had something to say, something which really only the Winter Soldier can claim. I left the theater thinking about the issues and themes the film addressed, and not about when the next film in the phase is coming to tie up loose ends only to create many more. I appreciate that Snyder gave me something to chew on.

Screw the critics, go see the film and make up your own mind.

Also put an order in for the Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Armored Batman when I got home. Give it to me now.

BpUDQMS.gif

Same thoughts really, I just didn't have a issue with the beginning structure.There's a lot of ground and players the film needs to introduce and set up and thankfully it kept me entertain and when the action comes or big set pieces I felt they were a great big pay off for what the film was setting up. One of my friends said that it was probably the first time he felt Batman was fucking terrifying for its introduction. lol

I was just totally satisfied leaving the the theater and the group of us went to dinner raving and discussing the film. Again, getting D-Box tickets for Sunday and can't wait to feel like I'm getting my ass kicked by Batman. lol

I was more referring to Superman getting thrown around like a ragdoll by Batman literally and him getting his ass handed to him by Doomsday. He never had a moment to shine in this movie.
Disagree, Superman shines not on the action but on a different level. He's there to redeem himself, to redeem Batman and to redeem us.

This movie is Snyder exploring this characters not as themselves but how regular people would view them it's incredible in many ways. This movie ain't Sucker Punch, this is a success, not a failure. Snyder did good in my eyes.

Fuck sorry guys. Didn't think about spoilering it. Nevermind. I apologize. Seeing some other stuff in here that was left untagged, it just didn't cross my mind.

I'd have either cut the Knightmare and JL Cameo sections or put them as post credits scenes lol.

Those were probably the most jarring scenes for me.

While the title sequence was good, I think it could have been cut. I think the Knightmare stuff could have been cut. Cameo stuff:
Just show the files with the logos, don't have WW going through the stuff again later.
The Senate stuff could have been shortened and tightened up. Oh yeah, I would have cut
the other dream sequences

I wouldn't cut out a thing. Just the opposite, actually. There are 2 scenes that need to be added, imo. And then a whole bunch that need to be longer.

Oh, wait, that's not right, I'd definitely cut the
freaky ass manbat dream. That was unnecessary.

Simo

Spoilers.

I think you might be in the wrong thread mate. lol but to add my 2 cents...
Batman has killed people in all of the films but one, Batman & Robin. So for people to cry foul and make a deal out of it is stupid as hell.

He doesn't straight up murder thugs, more like you said they're in the way and it's collateral damage. He's being doing this for over 20 years, lost friends and loved ones during his war on crime and for what? Nothing has changed. Like he says the criminals are like weeds where one goes down and more rise up. I didn't have a issue with it.

Although I did laugh because I thought he was going to straight up headshot someone with the sniper rifle. lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Just wanted to chime in quick and say that all the people in my FB that watched the movie loved it. My sis watched it today and she liked it and her favorite part was WW said Gal was perfect, she is a big Wondy fan btw.

I'll watch it on Monday with Dad.

Magwik

Banned
Well the RT has now gotten to the absurd part where people are being accused of alt accounts just to say good things about the movie

Sounds like everyone hated the Knightmare scene. Was it just another case of Snyder's "This sounds cool, lets throw it in!"?

It's just too out of left field and I don't think it has any real relevance to the film. It's just time that could be better spent elsewhere trying to help flesh out some of the other stuff that is actually important to this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom