• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Thought the assumption was that after Justice League Snyder was always stepping away. Three films in the same universe back to back is a lot for anyone regardless of the receptions being positive or negative. Once he stepped away from JL after the primary filming I figured that was going to be it. I do hope at the very least he does stay active for the action and cinematography to some degree. Like or dislike these films I don't think anyone can honestly say they don't look great and that action isn't way and above anything else in the genre.

This is true, but Justice League was supposed to be two films (first a pair, then separate) with Snyder at the helm. That change is only relatively new, from late 2016.

Dude needs time with his family. When he's recharged, he's got The Last Photograph and WB will have figured out the DCEU fully. It'll be fine.

Seems you're not allowed to have an opinion anymore.

Will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Who told you that you couldn't have an opinion?

Keym

I'm really sorry for both of them.

That being said... hey Patty... how's your schedule look like for the next 5 to 10 years?

Ahasverus

Raw footage of Superman's return in JL leaked

LegalWellinformedAlleycat-size_restricted.gif

Neophant

My bet is that Snyder will be back to direct a film in the DCEU after he gets a chance to recharge his batteries, spend as much time as he needs with his family, and direct a couple of smaller film projects. I'd love for him to direct Flashpoint because the subject material from the original comic would be perfect for his sensibilities and attention to detail, but it's more likely he'll be back if and when WB decides to bring back the New Gods and Apokalips, probably for a Justice League 2 years down the line.

Personally, I think people's opinion of Snyder will lighten after Justice League is viewed as a more optimistic, fun-filled typical action blockbuster. MoS and BvS were darker, more serious chapters of the DCEU which only makes coming to the light (or joining us in the sun, as Jor-El would say) with Justice League all the more impactful and poignant. He probably won't get all the credit, but at least critics won't be complaining about the tone and grittiness of his films (as much).

Cheebo

Banned
I hope Snyder stays to help with the action scenes at least, he's a god when it comes to that.
There is not a director on the planet who would after being essentially fired off a franchise come back demoted to a second unit director only doing actions scenes.

None, zero. No one would do that.

Honestly my interest in DCEU begins and ends with Snyder. After that, if they choose to just ape the Disney shit formula I'm out.

At least Reeves was an inspired choice for Batman.

I'll still watch them cuz I watch almost everything tbh. But it would no longer be exciting if they do chase what Disney is doing

Legit excited for Batman tho. Left alone like he was with apes he can do great things with blockbusters.

I think ultimately if they, as in Fox, WB, Sony, Marvel Studios, etc, hire interesting directors and talent, I'll be interested.

As far as being really excited, it's Black Panther and Reeves' Batman.

Cheebo

Banned
Wonder woman felt nothing like a Marvel movie or a Snyder movie yet most will say it is the best of the new DC movies. Proving that it isn't Snyder style movies or Marvel and that's it.

Penguin

I think Snyder gets put on the Nolan/Wachowskis track and given a decent budget to do whatever the hell he wants at WB until he has a massive bomb.

Wonder woman felt nothing like a Marvel movie or a Snyder movie yet most will say it is the best of the new DC movies. Proving that it isn't Snyder style movies or Marvel and that's it.

I've been saying this forever. Heck even Squad isn't the same "Dark" as Snyder's style. But everyone just likes to lump tones into dark vs light, gritty vs campy, there's so much in-between.

And as noted before, my favorite type is Donner-style (Superman, Raimi's Spider-man, The Flash, and now WW)

Raptor

I think ultimately if they, as in Fox, WB, Sony, Marvel Studios, etc, hire interesting directors and talent, I'll be interested.

As far as being really excited, it's Black Panther and Reeves' Batman.

Hell I just want good movies, being Marvel, DC, whatever comic book movie, I want good shit.

Of course Supes being my fav I want good Superman movies not like Returns and more like MoS.

But my boy doesnt even appear on the fucking slate :(

Bastards

Cheebo

Banned
I think Snyder gets put on the Nolan/Wachowskis track and given a decent budget to do whatever the hell he wants at WB until he has a massive bomb.
Nolan movies almost always come in under budget, do more than expected, do well critically. And have zero produciton drama of note. If you hire Nolan you are going to get a blockbuster without a bloated budget. Great reviews. Tight schedule. And solid profit. No matter the genre.

To be fair of almost none of those things can be said of Synder movies. Many are filled with under performances even when profitable like BvS and Watchmen. All out bombs like Sucker Punch and the Owl movie. And production problems like Justice League. Not to mention nearly every single one had bad reviews.

At this point he may have already ran out of goodwill at WB, I would not be surprised. Warners think if they give him free reign again they just get another Sucker Punch. He has already gotten a few black eyes at this game, Nolan has avoided that.

If he didn't already have two bombs the last two times he was given free reign WB might be willing. But Owls and Sucker Punch is what they got the last time he was given a budget to do whatever.

Ross61

Dunno why people think Snyders out at WB when he just signed a new first-look deal when he officially stepped down from JL

Maddocks

Zack isn't going anywhere, WB still loves him, they will still make movies with him. It is just now, Johns is going to be the builder of worlds. Things like this has been known forever, I don't get why it is news now when it wasn't big news when it broke the first time.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Shazam in the first quarter, Batman in second quarter, Suicide Squad 2 in 3rd quarter, Wonder Woman in December, works for me. Do it WB!

Sirens is probably Feb 14th, 2020 for sure now. Flash, Batgirl, and Green Lantern fill out the rest?

I don't think The Batman is hitting in 2019.

It'd be in a similar spot as Wonder Woman 2, if not a little behind, and Wonder Woman 2 is dropping at the end of the year.

Shazam (if nothing happens between now and filming), Suicide Squad 2/Gotham City Sirens, Wonder Woman 2 in 2019.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think The Batman is hitting in 2019.

It'd be in a similar spot as Wonder Woman 2, if not a little behind, and Wonder Woman 2 is dropping at the end of the year.

Shazam (if nothing happens between now and filming), Suicide Squad 2/Gotham City Sirens, Wonder Woman 2 in 2019.

That's because we JUST had a Wonder Woman movie. We haven't had a Batman movie since BvS, which was March of 2016. The timing would be fine.

I don't know why you guys think it takes so long to make a Batman movie? Even if they start shooting Batman in February of next year, they'd still have like 14 months until it'd come out in June or July of 2019. That's PLENTY of time. We're only in July of 2017! If Reeves can't get a script down by Feb of next year, then wtf is going on? 6-7 months is more than enough time.

DC ain't waiting till 2020 for a Batman movie. It's just not happening.

I don't know why you guys think it takes so long to make a Batman movie? Even if they start shooting Batman in February of next year, they'd still have like 14 months until it'd come out in June or July of 2019. That's PLENTY of time. We're only in July of 2017! If Reeves can't get a script down by Feb of next year, then wtf is going on? 6-7 months is more than enough time.

DC ain't waiting till 2020 for a Batman movie. It's just not happening.

I used to think Warner Bros, who was in desperate need of a critical and commercial hit, wouldn't wait until 2018 for a Batman film, but here we are.

They'll be lucky to have a script people are happy with by the start of 2018, let alone the ability to start filming.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I used to think Warner Bros, who was in desperate need of a critical and commercial hit, wouldn't wait until 2018 for a Batman film, but here we are.
Yes? They wanted one out in 2018 and couldn't make it work, so why would they wait even longer? 2019 is perfectly reasonable given what we know.

Ross61

Fantastic Beast, The Lego and other animated franchises, The Monsterverse, are all money makers. WB really ain't hurting for money.

Yes? They wanted one out in 2018 and couldn't make it work, so why would they wait even longer? 2019 is perfectly reasonable given what we know.

The point being it's taken them this long when many thought The Batman was the most sure fire thing they had on the slate and Warner Bros was in desperate need of it. I think we're past "Warner Bros is not waiting until 20xx for a Batman film," because it continues to slip for one reason or another and now they don't need it like they did just a year or two ago.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The point being it's taken them this long when many thought The Batman was the most sure fire thing they had on the slate and Warner Bros was in desperate need of it. I think we're past "Warner Bros is not waiting until 20xx for a Batman film," because it continues to slip for one reason or another and now they don't need it like they did just a year or two ago.
I gotcha now. Still say it comes in 2019 :p

duckroll

I disagree. I think it definitely felt like a film that Snyder produced, even though it is clear it doesn't share his personal touch in the themes and script. To me it shows that Snyder overseeing the DCEU isn't a bad thing at all, but that what audiences have been less eager about is how bleak he likes to make his own films. There's a lot in the look of WW and some of the action beats which are influenced by Snyder's style. In contrast, Suicide Squad, a film Snyder had almost nothing to do with, feels totally off, inconsistent with the world, and just messy.

I gotcha now. Still say it comes in 2019 :p

I think it starts filming next year, I just don't think the timing will be there. I'd love to be wrong, but Reeves would have to do his best Nolan impression to accomplish that IMO.

Oh yeah, for whatever reason, Warner Bros have given the DCEU kinda ridiculous post production periods. Most of them are sitting in post for like a year between wrapping on set and release.

J_Viper

1501037477037.jpg

I think it starts filming next year, I just don't think the timing will be there. I'd love to be wrong, but Reeves would have to do his best Nolan impression to accomplish that IMO.

Oh yeah, for whatever reason, Warner Bros have given the DCEU kinda ridiculous post production periods. Most of them are sitting in post for like a year between wrapping on set and release.

Well I remember reading that Reeves only had two years to develop Dawn of the Apes from scratch, and he still turned out a masterpiece

Not that I'd want him to be rushed on Batman, but god damn, 2019 is already far enough. I couldn't handle another three year wait

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, that's why I think they'll start getting these out faster and not sit on them in post for a year or more. BvS was torture knowing it had finished in 2014 and was supposed to be out in 2015, then they pushed it to Mach 2016. Aquaman is going to feel the same. They'll be done by end of August (?) and it won't come out for another 16 months. I realize it's a very CG intensive movie compared to Batman, but still. That's why I think 2019 for Batman only because it won't require a ton of CG work and I think DC/WB now has a better path to know what they actually want out of these movies with the success of Wonder Woman and the restructure behind the scenes.

Yep, that's why I think they'll start getting these out faster and not sit on them in post for a year or more. BvS was torture knowing it had finished in 2014 and was supposed to be out in 2015, then they pushed it to Mach 2016. Aquaman is going to feel the same. They'll be done by end of August (?) and it won't come out for another 16 months. I realize it's a very CG intensive movie compared to Batman, but still. That's why I think 2019 for Batman only because it won't require a ton of CG work and I think DC/WB now has a better path to know what they actually want out of these movies with the success of Wonder Woman and the restructure behind the scenes.

If they can start by May, they can make July 2019.

They'd have to hit Nolan-like efficiency though.

a916

Dr Strange wrapped at the same time as WW... but released like months later. The turn around that Marvel does is ridiculous.

a916

I mean, it was still like 8 months if both wrapped around March of last year. Strange released in November.

They finished in April (for Dr Strange), and then dropped it in November.

WW wrapped in May.

Dr Strange had 7 months until release and WW had 13. That's almost double. Part of that has to do with DC planting a flag on that date... but it's still pretty impressive Marvel can just churn these things out quickly.

IconGrist

I don't see why people have such a hard time with this. It's fucking Superman. I also don't see why people think the hologram is Supergirl. That too is fucking Superman. I mean come the fuck on.

"But the calves!?"

How about you think for a moment. The calves. Jesus Christ. Remember how many people thought Scoot McNairy was playing The Flash because he had on neon green socks in the set photos? This is just as ridiculous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't see why people have such a hard time with this. It's fucking Superman. I also don't see why people think the hologram is Supergirl. That too is fucking Superman. I mean come the fuck on.

"But the calves!?"

How about you think for a moment. The calves. Jesus Christ. Remember how many people thought Scoot McNairy was playing The Flash because he had on neon green socks in the set photos? This is just as ridiculous.

lmao

That actually happened?

Top Bottom