• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

IconGrist

I feel like this is getting into nitpick territory.

If they recast Bruce or recast Batman it doesn't really matter as long as its done well.

Does anybody miss Edward Norton? Anyone?

Terrence Howard? Hmm?

Nobody?

Thought so.

Ninjimbo

I miss Ed Norton. He's a better actor than Ruffalo. I get bothered when I see the Hulk and I realize that could have been Ed Norton. Takes me out of the movie all the time.

If they recast Bruce or recast Batman it doesn't really matter as long as its done well.

Terrence Howard? Hmm?

Nobody?

Thought so.

How are those two even fair comparisons?

One is a side character who left after one film. The other is a main character who left after one film.

You'd have a fair comparison if Norton did the solo film and the Avengers and then left.

tumblr_mupbpdKllB1sphl01o1_250.gif

Not having Bruce Wayne in the DCEU shouldn't even be an option on the table. Recast him if Affleck leaves, no question.

I really just don't get it. Why do you think people are that attached to Bruce Wayne? Batman, sure. But you do the cowl handoff on screen, that's a way better way to handle a change of the guard. It also bring something prominent in the comics that's absent from the films, namely, the idea of legacy heroes.

IconGrist

How are those two even fair comparisons?

One is a side character who left after one film. The other is a main character who left after one film.

You'd have a fair comparison if Norton did the solo film and the Avengers and then left.

Easy. The situations do not have to be point for point identical.

Easy. The situations do not have to be point for point identical.

Why not? Ben will have two appearances (one being the DCEU equivalent of The Avengers), maybe three, before a recast. The other two examples do not.

If Norton was the one who got to drop the "That's my secret.." line, people would be pissed if Ruffalo magically showed up in Age of Ultron.

bryanee

I really just don't get it. Why do you think people are that attached to Bruce Wayne? Batman, sure. But you do the cowl handoff on screen, that's a way better way to handle a change of the guard. It also bring something prominent in the comics that's absent from the films, namely, the idea of legacy heroes.

You do the changing of the guard in the third Batman flick. Maybe at the end of the second and have Dick cap off the third. You dont do it now and certainly not before I get real Clark and Bruce interactions in the second JL movie as fully fledged experienced League members.

I've been waiting for this shit since I was a kid.

You do the changing of the guard in the third Batman flick. Maybe at the end of the second and have Dick cap off the third. You dont do it now and certainly not before I get real Clark and Bruce interactions in the second JL movie as fully fledged experienced League members.

The Batman will be the third flick with Batman. It's not like this is happening right out of the gate.

This will always be a cunundrum and there's not really a ideal solution for me

On one hand: From a praticality point of view, a full-on "recast and go on like nothing happened" would be the easiest thing to do without having to come up with some potential awkward/weak in-universe excuse for the change of face.

Although this would mean at least they would have to stick to the "older Batman" concept I suppose....But if one of Ben's reason's to drop is the difficulty in keeping in shape, then the same would happen to the next 40-ish actor they would cast as well...

We can't have a new Batman actor every couple of films when you want to build a decade long cinematic universe.

On the other hand: From a fan standpoint I really like Ben and I'm already fond of him as Batman, so the break in continuity, actor wise, will bother me to no end.

Ideally Bruce would pass on the mantle to Dick, but to be honest it would never have that much emotional weight at this point considering there's a Nightwing movie down the line where the Batman connection could be developed.

TL; DR : I blame Zack

Main reason I don't see Dick becoming Batman is the potential to have both Batman and Nightwing movie series.

This is honestly why I don't think there will be an in-universe switch.

(IF) Affleck leaves, they'll just recast Batman and move forward. No reason to lose a Nightwing film and it's not like they really have time to setup of the Bruce-Dick swap and make it feel meaningful.

J_Viper

The main reason Ben can't keep in shape was in own personal stress, not really his age

Look how swole Josh Brolin is for Cable

And he's FIFTY

I miss Ed Norton. He's a better actor than Ruffalo. I get bothered when I see the Hulk and I realize that could have been Ed Norton. Takes me out of the movie all the time.

They're both good actors but I don't care much for either Banner. I think Eric Bana was the GOAT

I wonder what happens when USADA starts testing in Hollywood.

Nah gotta protect the business. Maybe they'll put somebody less important like Zac Efron on suspension to make it look like there's a wellness policy 👀

Quick

Banned
If Ben Affleck walks and they decide to recast and continue on with the new actor as-is (no story conveniences to explain the change), we'll just have to accept that. And ultimately, I don't think it would really be a big deal in the end.

To that end, people mention the Norton to Ruffalo recast, and I think that's slightly different. Batman's a major player slated to have a solo movie, whereas Hulk is currently just on Avengers movies + Thor: Ragnarok. Hulk's a main team member, but ultimately a supporting player in the grand scheme of the MCU.

LionPride

Banned
If Ben Affleck walks and they decide to recast and continue on with the new actor as-is (no story conveniences to explain the change), we'll just have to accept that. And ultimately, I don't think it would really be a big deal in the end.

To that end, people mention the Norton to Ruffalo recast, and I think that's slightly different. Batman's a major player slated to have a solo movie, whereas Hulk is currently just on Avengers movies + Thor: Ragnarok. Hulk's a main team member, but ultimately a supporting player in the grand scheme of the MCU.
Well they also can't make a solo movie without paying everything to a different studio so his statis would be relegated to a lower tier

DMczaf

Nah gotta protect the business. Maybe they'll put somebody less important like Zac Efron on suspension to make it look like there's a wellness policy 👀

Sam Worthington : I took those drugs, that's what I can be.
Sculli: No, you can't! You're not!
Worthington : I'm whatever Hollywood needs me to be...call it in.

Maddocks

Sam Worthington : I took those drugs, that's what I can be.
Sculli: No, you can't! You're not!
Worthington : I'm whatever Hollywood needs me to be...call it in.

Forgot to add in all the broken accents he would be trying to pull off to prove he can be everyone.

Bond to Bond. The previous Batman films (Commisioner Gordon and Aflred carry through every film), but Batman Forever to Batman & Robin if we're being direct.

Audiences do not give a damn outside of discussing "Who was better?" If you tell people, "Hey, Bob Sagat is the new Batman, but he's the same guy," some folks will have some issues, but the rest of the audience will roll right along with it.

Part of me believes we're overthinking this. For Affleck's part, he's about to work with a great director on Batman, and it's a ways away to prepare mentally and physically. The article postulates it's WB that wants to replace him. Obviously WB wants to protect Batman as one of their huge earners, and if they see Affleck as a problem, they might be looking into it. But at the same time WB values their relationship with Affleck, even after Live by Night.

So I suppose it's up to Matt Reeves. What's interesting is that same article suggests an independent Batman trilogy from Reeves. That's none too different from WB's plan nearly a decade ago to have two onscreen Batmans--one with the Justice League and Nolan's solo. Can't imagine that happening nowadays, where Affleck is the DCEU Batman and another actor is Reeves' Batman.

Quick

Banned
Bond to Bond. The previous Batman films (Commisioner Gordon and Aflred carry through every film), but Batman Forever to Batman & Robin if we're being direct.

Audiences do not give a damn outside of discussing "Who was better?" If you tell people, "Hey, Bob Sagat is the new Batman, but he's the same guy," some folks will have some issues, but the rest of the audience will roll right along with it.

That's my point. We'll end up rolling with whoever replaces Affleck if it happens.

Just pointing out that the Hulk recast comparison isn't quite to the same level in prominence, but the results will ultimately be the same (new actor, same Batman, world continues to spin).

Ross61

Are people really that stupid that they think letting Cavill keep the moustache is less expensive than digitally altering it?

IconGrist

Are people really that stupid that they think letting Cavill keep the moustache is less expensive than digitally altering it?

There was an article on Heroic Hollywood the other day where they talked to the JL VFX Supervisor. It's about a month's worth of work to completely remove his moustache. Basically they have to digitally superimpose a scan of the bottom half of his face and then animate his mouth (specifically his upper lip). Seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ask me BUT Cavill was supposed to be done with JL so not Paramount's fault that WB can't get their shit right.

Ross61

There was an article on Heroic Hollywood the other day where they talked to the JL VFX Supervisor. It's about a month's worth of work to completely remove his moustache. Basically they have to digitally superimpose a scan of the bottom half of his face and then animate his mouth (specifically his upper lip). Seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ask me BUT Cavill was supposed to be done with JL so not Paramount's fault that WB can't get their shit right.

These were scheduled reshoots tho.

And that may seem like a giant pain in the ass, BUT Cavill already shot JL without the mustache so he can't have scene with and without it.

h0LfH1s.jpg

Busty

Banned
Dude who was rumored for Squad 2 dropped out of the race to do the Jungle Cruise

Dwayne Johnson and Disney are just the ideal match in terms of meshing their 'brands' but Serra feels a really odd choice.

Eh. I'm sure WB will have no problems getting a good director for the Squad sequel.

Busty

Banned
Wild Card pick for the new Wayne

1544px-Alexander_Skarsgard_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

That's actually a great shout. Although Tarzan didn't work out he's shown that he could be the figure head of a franchise.

The only stumbling block could be if doesn't identify as American would WB want to European playing the cornerstones of the DCU?

Quick

Banned
That's actually a great shout. Although Tarzan didn't work out he's shown that he could be the figure head of a franchise.

The only stumbling block could be if doesn't identify as American would WB want to European playing the cornerstones of the DCU?

I don't think WB cares about the nationalities of their cast, as long as they're capable.

J_Viper

I thought Tarzan was a low key success for WB, no?

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong movie

Yuck.

Also could you pick a bigger image?
It's not my fault

He's so good looking his face can only render at a high pixel count

a916

Dude who was rumored for Squad 2 dropped out of the race to do the Jungle Cruise

What made him pass on SS2 and jump on the garbage fest that is Jungle Cruise and another god awful Rock project.

Terrence Howard? Hmm?

Nobody?

Thought so.

No one gave a crap about the Hulk and no one also gave a crap about Rhodes... this is like RDJ getting recast after Iron Man 2. Affleck is the lead in two of the biggest DCEU movies and part of the trinity.

They should recast him, but make no mistake, this sucks lol

That is an amazing image.

I'm glad some of you aren't in charge of this stuff.

If I was in charge, you'd never see Hal Goddamn Jordan in a film ever and Martian Manhunter would be a thing.

Wild Card pick for the new Wayne

1544px-Alexander_Skarsgard_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

Good choice, but let's be goddamn honest: with Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck all doing fine as Batman, the only real requirement is "fit white dude".

Top Bottom