• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

I recall early rumors about Ezra playing Nightwing and I could totally see it.

I'm happy with him as the Flash. Just hopefully it won't take years to get his movie.
I enjoy when they pick out of left field choices for both Marvel and DC flicks, I hope they find success with Miller as they did with Gadot. He seems like a cool dude.

Some early BvS Batman concepts,

XJyERri.jpg

J_Viper

Joe Mango on Deathstroke

I think a lot of people are wondering what the status of Deathstroke is in the next Batman movie now that Ben Affleck is off the project as director. Do you have any information about that?

I don’t. Well, I do but nothing that I can share. I know everything but I can’t say any of it.

Was that imparted in a happy way or a downtrodden way? I’m trying to interpret the fluctuations in your tone.

[Pause.] I’m shooting for a neutral tone.

You’re succeeding.

Thanks.

Any idea when we’ll find out?

It’s not up to me. That’s a good question for Warner Bros. and D.C.

he mad

Busty

Banned
Joe Mango will be Deathstroke in the DCU.

Whether that's in The Batman or something else he will be Deathstroke in the DCU films at some point.

The question however then becomes what happens to the cameo (or whatever) he filmed for Justice League?

Unless of course..., he's in The Batman
but he's not playing Deathstroke but the titular character

Loxley

Wasn't Mango one of the finalists for Superman in MOS? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that he nearly had the part but his schedule with True Blood would have ultimately conflicted too much with filming Man of Steel.

The guy has the most shit-rotten luck when it comes to roles in the DCEU XD

Boke1879

I gotta say some of yall going way overboard over two shots and determining the quality of the film.

And the Whedon v Snyder thing yall doing...Gotta chill.

Just like people who are immediately down on anything Snyder. Yall are doing the same thing about Whedon right now tbh.

Firemind

I gotta say some of yall going way overboard over two shots and determining the quality of the film.

Just like people who are immediately down on anything Snyder. Yall are doing the same thing about Whedon right now tbh.
But I haven't enjoyed anything that Whedon touched since Angel.

Ahasverus

I can and will attack him for ruining the look of the film in some scenes, that's just an objective truth.

He should have at least tried not to make it look like one of his budget looking movies.

J_Viper

I really would have never thought of Joe as Wayne until Busty brought it up, but he'd be perfect

He's 6'5", built, and still old enough to pull off the aged Batman they're going for

I'm still super fucking skeptical that they're actually going to recast Bruce. If the cowl changes hands, it's gonna be through a legacy character stepping up. Probably Dick.

J_Viper

I can and will attack him for ruining the look of the film in some scenes, that's just an objective truth.

He should have at least tried not to make it look like one of his budget looking movies.

Age of Ultron looks great though, especially when compared to its predecessor.

I'm still super fucking skeptical that they're actually going to recast Bruce. If the cowl changes hands, it's gonna be through a legacy character stepping up. Probably Dick.
General audience would never go for that

If they're gonna recast, the new actor will debut in The Batman, and it'll happen without a narrative reason.

IconGrist

How are we even sure reshoot scene are in the trailer?

If there is any reshoot scenes in the trailer they aren't anything that required effects. Way to soon to have something close to resembling the final look. Especially since that trailer was likely cut and scored a while ago.

jackdoe

For all the shit thrown at Whedon, he undeniably did a better job at the hero moneyshot in Avengers than Zack Snyder did in Batman v Superman.

Ahasverus

It looks better but I'm not sure it looks great. Marvel movies just refuse to have real blacks, it's like there's a gray filter all over them. The imagery was not really that amazing, compared to Snyder.

General audience would never go for that

If they're gonna recast, the new actor will debut in The Batman, and it'll happen without a narrative reason.

General audiences would have a way harder time accepting the same person (not even the same character, a la Bond, but the same PERSON, with the same history and character traits and allies) being played by a different actor.

Dick Bats is the reasonable way to do a handoff, if they're going to do it.

Ashhong

General audiences would have a way harder time accepting the same person (not even the same character, a la Bond, but the same PERSON, with the same history and character traits and allies) being played by a different actor.

But Batman & Robin and the hulk worked fine. Oh and war machine

Ashhong

I mean, obviously the movie didn't work, but did the actor change affect anything? Did the public care? So long ago I don't know. Idk, I think the public would get over it pretty easily

I mean, obviously the movie didn't work, but did the actor change affect anything? Did the public care? So long ago I don't know. Idk, I think the public would get over it pretty easily

I mean, when the house is burning down around you, are you gonna complain that somebody took a dump in the sink?

J_Viper

For all the shit thrown at Whedon, he undeniably did a better job at the hero moneyshot in Avengers than Zack Snyder did in Batman v Superman.

I think they both failed there

Avengers is great, but I think that money shot was weak.

Cap's in that terrible outfit, Widow and Hawkguy look out of place because they're lame characters, and the visuals backing that shot are PS3-tier

Snyder failed there too, but for entirely different reasons.

But this has happened several times with this exact character though

I'm sure it'd be strange for like a second, but most people will have no problem rolling with it.

No one was confused as to who Wayne was in BvS because he was no longer played by Bale, who was in the role for longer and was in the movie series that the GA actually cared for.

Grayson as Batman would never work because

A, The transition would be ineffective because we don't know him as a character yet

B, DC is the house that Wayne built. He's their most popular character and they're sure as hell not going to drop him on film

C, his name is PENIS

But this has happened several times with this exact character though

I'm sure it'd be strange for like a second, but most people will have no problem rolling with it.

No one was confused as to who Wayne was in BvS because he was no longer played by Bale, who was in the role for longer and was in the movie series that the GA actually cared for.

Grayson as Batman would never work because

A, The transition would be ineffective because we don't know him as a character yet

B, DC is the house that Wayne built. He's their most popular character and they're sure as hell not going to drop him on film

C, his name is PENIS

First, no it hasn't. We've had different people playing Batman, but that was in the Bond sense. You weren't expected to know the same character's antics before they were played by a different actor and associated with that face.

A. This can be addressed in the movie. And it's not like Dick Grayson is a totally unknown character, though obviously his time as Robin is better known. Nightwing did have DCAU and other animated exposure, though.

B. DC is the house that Batman built. Dick's tenure as Batman was extremely well received. You could absolutely make it happen.

C. Viper pls.

Batjag

General audiences would have zero problems with a Bruce Wayne recast. People expect Bruce Wayne and James Bond to new actors every few films. Everyone gets it and is okay with it.

First, no it hasn't. We've had different people playing Batman, but that was in the Bond sense. You weren't expected to know the same character's antics before they were played by a different actor and associated with that face.

A. This can be addressed in the movie. And it's not like Dick Grayson is a totally unknown character, though obviously his time as Robin is better known. Nightwing did have DCAU and other animated exposure, though.

B. DC is the house that Batman built. Dick's tenure as Batman was extremely well received. You could absolutely make it happen.

C. Viper pls.

Cartoon popularity does not extend to general movie going audience popularity.
What people know about Robin is that he's batmans sidekick, that's it.
They ain't doing no hand. They'll just recast if they have to.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with a Batman recast is that he still needs to be an "older" Bruce. The movie universe has clearly stated he's been doing this for 20 years and has history. You can't just all of a sudden cast a 25 year old actor just so he can keep playing it for 15 years. They wrote themselves into a corner with the older Batman. I'm still baffled at WB's decision on this since they knew they wanted a shared universe that was going to go for 10+ years.

They could've made him 35 years old and Batman for 10 years, in his prime and all of his rogues would still be established. So you could cast a 30 year old to play him which would be easier on the actor's body keeping in that shape for the next 10 years of their life.

Ash is right. No one gave a fuck about any of those changes. I'd like old Rhodey more, but Cheadle is fine and not confusing to anyone.

General audiences would have zero problems with a Bruce Wayne recast. People expect Bruce Wayne and James Bond to new actors every few films. Everyone gets it and is okay with it.

Cartoon popularity does not extend to general movie going audience popularity.
What people know about Robin is that he's batmans sidekick, that's it.
They ain't doing no hand. They'll just recast if they have to.

You guys really don't think that having Bruce change actors and have the entire supporting cast, backstory, relationships, etc. remain the same wouldn't mess with people?

It's not like Bond where each actor's run has very, very little to do with the next one. And it's not like Rhodey, where he was a supporting character in the first movie in the universe and has been the same ever since.

My only problem with a Batman recast is that he still needs to be an "older" Bruce. The movie universe has clearly stated he's been doing this for 20 years and has history. You can't just all of a sudden cast a 25 year old actor just so he can keep playing it for 15 years. They wrote themselves into a corner with the older Batman. I'm still baffled at WB's decision on this since they knew they wanted a shared universe that was going to go for 10+ years.

They could've made him 35 years old and Batman for 10 years, in his prime and all of his rogues would still be established. So you could cast a 30 year old to play him which would be easier on the actor's body keeping in that shape for the next 10 years of their life.

This is another argument in favor of planning a handoff. De-aging is another level of fuckery.

J_Viper

C. Viper pls.

Well there's the idea that the DCEU will be an entirely different beast once JL launches and they completely shift away from the original Snyder-led plans

Meaning that Reeves Batman might indeed be different take on the character. With that in mind, a recast would be a natural move.

I love Affleck, and hope he sticks around until at least JL2 (if that's even a thing anymore), but there's still a huge possibility that it doesn't happen.

I grew up on TAS, and even I think seeing Grayson take over Batman on film would be the lamest thing ever. I do really need to read that Black Mirror story though.

WB surely wants the Batman franchise to be a billion dollar earner like it was before. They would never hit that goal with anyone but Wayne behind the cowl.

Mango would work because he's only 40 and is in immaculate shape. He could stick around for ten years without a problem

Hell, even if they go with Armie, who's in his early thirties, he will be 35 or so by the time The Batman hits theaters.

So by the time JL2 rolls around, he will be the "appropriate" age.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
You guys really don't think that having Bruce change actors and have the entire supporting cast, backstory, relationships, etc. remain the same wouldn't mess with people?

It's not like Bond where each actor's run has very, very little to do with the next one. And it's not like Rhodey, where he was a supporting character in the first movie in the universe and has been the same ever since.

This is another argument in favor of planning a handoff. De-aging is another level of fuckery.
I hear people saying, "Oh just use Flashpoint to fix it!" How would that even work? Flashpoint doesn't change the age of characters. It just changes choices they've made in their life. Bruce would still be like 50 when Flashpoint ends and everything goes back to normal. There's nothing Barry can do which would make Batman younger in that story. He would have to time travel to Bruce 15 years ago, pull him from that time line and then dump him into current times. That would be fucking stupid because it would mean the Batman we saw in BvS, JL, and whatever other movies he'll be in between now and Flashpoint would mean nothing. Bruce went through hell and has turned a corner in these movies. You'd be throwing that all away and bringing in a completely different version of Batman to a world that already moved on past that version.

If Affleck is gone, it's going to be Dick in the suit or they re-cast with another actor around Affleck's age and look who's willing to be Batman for 3+ movies into his late 40's early 50's.

I grew up on TAS, and even I think seeing Grayson take over Batman on film would be the lamest thing ever. I do really need to read that Black Mirror story though.

WB surely wants the Batman franchise to be a billion dollar earner like it was before. They would never hit that goal with anyone but Wayne behind the cowl.

You should also read Morrison's Batman and Robin. Very good stuff.

I just fundamentally dispute the idea that people are putting their butts in their seats for Bruce Wayne. They're there for Batman. If whoever they cast as Dick can pull off Batman, that'll do nicely.

Top Bottom