• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Firemind

You should also read Morrison's Batman and Robin. Very good stuff.

I just fundamentally dispute the idea that people are putting their butts in their seats for Bruce Wayne. They're there for Batman. If whoever they cast as Dick can pull off Batman, that'll do nicely.
But Nightwing isn't Batman...

League of Legends
6sk34so53kcz.jpg

J_Viper

You should also read Morrison's Batman and Robin. Very good stuff.

I just fundamentally dispute the idea that people are putting their butts in their seats for Bruce Wayne. They're there for Batman. If whoever they cast as Dick can pull off Batman, that'll do nicely.

Thanks, I'll check that out too!

Why.

Like, seriously. Retiring and handing off the cowl to a successor would be a really great cap to this Bruce Wayne's life.

And that right there is the problem.

The DCEU is just now getting started. There's no way they're gonna retire Bruce right at the start of the franchise.

I say DC needs to ween off the Bat-teet, relegate him to a secondary character that act as the stand in for the audience when more fantastical thing get introduced, thus giving us our Bat quota but keeping the heavy lifting off Ben and allowing more of DC's characters to flourish.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I say DC needs to ween off the Bat-teet, relegate him to a secondary character that act as the stand in for the audience when more fantastical thing get introduced, thus giving us our Bat quota but keeping the heavy lifting off Ben and allowing more of DC's characters to flourish.
Not happening ever. I'd be like Marvel sidelining Spidey.

The Bat is just too big of a character.

You guys really don't think that having Bruce change actors and have the entire supporting cast, backstory, relationships, etc. remain the same wouldn't mess with people?

Nope. I don't think people would give a damn. It's a speed bump at most.

People may contrast and compare, but the folks who actually care in a negative way will be a very small portion of the audience.

"Eric Bana is Batman now." Internet discussion for a bit, and then people see the movie anyways.

Shame is if this connected universe thing wasn't happening, an older Batman trilogy would've been awesome. I really liked Bruce's arc in BvS and I don't think that'd work with a younger Batman.

I feel my ideal scenario is for The Batman to be like Godfather 2, interconnecting a flashback with the present story, except all centered on Bruce. So you'd have Affleck as Bruce in his 50s and Armie Hammer as Bruce in his late 20s. And the story hook is something from 25 years ago connecting to a current case.

Plus it'd be cool to see Batman in the 90s, early 2000s evoking Seven and the like.

Poona

General audience would never go for that

If they're gonna recast, the new actor will debut in The Batman, and it'll happen without a narrative reason.

Disagree.

Every time I see Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle in the Marvel films it shows to me that they stuffed up their films and ruined their continuity and I dislike having to pretend they're the same people when their characters first showed up.

If Ben stops being Batman then let him have the role passed on to another Batfamily member. Don't recast Bruce Wayne where we have to play pretend that they're still the same person who first appeared in BvS.

Disagree.

Every time I see Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle in the Marvel films it shows to me that they stuffed up their films and ruined their continuity and I dislike having to pretend they're the same people when their characters first showed up.

If Ben stops being Batman then let him have the role passed on to another Batfamily member. Don't recast Bruce Wayne where we have to play pretend that they're still the same person who first appeared in BvS.

I just don't understand this kind of thing. It's all playing pretend. We all know it's a business for both the studios and the actors. We know that people get older and move on, etc. As long as it's not handled in a dumb or silly way, what difference does it make?

Ninjimbo

I just don't understand this kind of thing. It's all playing pretend. We all know it's a business for both the studios and the actors. We know that people get older and move on, etc. As long as it's not handled in a dumb or silly way, what difference does it make?
The difference is that it's not the same actor/actress. This is something that can be jarring to some people because they've invested a bit into that actor's portrayal of the character. It's a movie and people are allowed to consume it any way they want to.

It is what it is.

bryanee

Nah man, fuck having Dick as Batman so soon. Recast that shit if need be, the vast majority wont give a flying fook. The JL has just started and I want Bruce Wayne as Batman for at least the second JL movie and for the entire Batman trilogy.

The difference is that it's not the same actor/actress. This is something that can be jarring to some people because they've invested a bit into that actor's portrayal of the character. It's a movie and people are allowed to consume it any way they want to.

It is what it is.

You can say that to literally anything but okay.

Ashhong

"Hey Cavill...we are going to do the first ever Justice League movie....but we will kill you in he prequel so you don't get to participate in any of the pre-release fun and games and the hype of having the first ever JL film."

When you put it this way, that really really sucks lol

Though I guess it worked out since he's doing MI6. If he wanted to I'm sure they'd have let him be at cc

"Hey Cavill...we are going to do the first ever Justice League movie....but we will kill you in he prequel so you don't get to participate in any of the pre-release fun and games and the hype of having the first ever JL film."

"Except for when we show off the first team picture with you in it, then introduce the cast with you. Hell, we'll even bring you out last so you can get that big return pop like you're Stone Cold."

Like, Clark's body wasn't even cold when Snyder pulled Cavill on stage last year. What makes you think he wouldn't have been there this year?

They're keeping him in reserve, to save up some emotional energy, for post release damage control when the critics shit all over the movie

Two reasons they aren't leaning heavy with advertising Superman is the story is about Superman's absence, and something that's more of a secret.

Ninjimbo

A Batman Beyond movie feels like it would be the GOAT. Imagine the visuals that would come with it. Idk why Batman Beyond doesn't have a bigger presence for DC. I've always felt that it was a better version of Spider-Man ever since I was a kid. Terry felt more relatable than Peter to me in many ways.

a916

Nah man, fuck having Dick as Batman so soon. Recast that shit if need be, the vast majority wont give a flying fook. The JL has just started and I want Bruce Wayne as Batman for at least the second JL movie and for the entire Batman trilogy.

Yeah, this. We won't even have Clark and Bruce on screen as friends for long at this rate lol

jackdoe

Yeah, this. We won't even have Clark and Bruce on screen as friends for long at this rate lol
I dropped any hope that they'd be best friends (as in the comics) the second Batman legitimately tried to murder Superman in BvS, so a sudden Dick Bats change wouldn't make a difference to me.

Neophant

I can see Affleck stepping down from the field-opsl side of being Batman (wearing the suit and having the stunt double take out mooks) and working from the cave instructing a newbie to be the next Batman, kind of like the Bruce/Terry McGinnis relationship in Batman Beyond. You'd still have Ben playing an adviser role and be part of the DCEU going forward without having too many physical commitments. I'd like to see what he'd look like with this kind of outfit

Old-Bruce-Wayne-Batman-Beyond.jpg

but of course not looking nearly as old.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You guys really don't think that having Bruce change actors and have the entire supporting cast, backstory, relationships, etc. remain the same wouldn't mess with people?

tumblr_mupbpdKllB1sphl01o1_250.gif

Not having Bruce Wayne in the DCEU shouldn't even be an option on the table. Recast him if Affleck leaves, no question.

Top Bottom