• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Effect

Yup I'm out for the night. Not being spoiled or anything this close. Will make up my own mind like I have the other films.

ryan299

Mayimbe calling it the best DCEU film. Hands down..

#WonderWoman is hands down the best DCEU Film to date! Film is SO GOOD. I absolutely loved it! Bravo @PattyJenks @GalGadot @GeoffJohns 👏🏽⚔️

Frosty@ Collider
Happy to report 'Wonder Woman' is a blast and @GalGadot is fantastic. Her chemistry with Chris Pine is magnetic. Absolutely recommended.

Best part of ‘Wonder Woman' is the film has really funny parts and an optimistic and heroic protagonist. Great step forward for DC Films.

Prompto

Banned
Wonder Woman is the DC movie I've been waiting for. It's exciting, inspiring, funny, and has some truly awe-inspiring action scenes.

There are certainly some issues, like a mismatched 3rd act, but I'll discuss that in a longer review. Overall though, Wonder Woman rules.

Germain Lussier

Ahasverus

Germain Lussier
giphy.gif

Ashhong

Can we have the bvs Twitter impressions from the same critics to compare with? Though I do think the fact that they are all comparing it to the rest of the DCEU and saying it's much better says a lot

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Lord almighty, on this weeks Collider Heroes he made it clear multiple times that he did not care for her. I'm like dude, shut the fuck up already. Schnepp seemed to be getting annoyed at him too.

Odoul

Are cheerfulness and jokes really what pushes some people's buttons?

I can accept I'm the weirdo. Man of Steel is one of my favorite modern CBM. And too many forced jokes just piss me off.

Well... I'm glad early critical impression seem good. We'll see how that works out for reviews, I remember seeing a lot of 7/10 Rottens for BvS.

I can accept I'm the weirdo. Man of Steel is one of my favorite modern CBM. And too many forced jokes just piss me off.

Honestly, while I do appreciate a srs bsns comic book movie (else I wouldn't be here, obvs.), as long as it doesn't venture into Avengers 2 "step on your own dramatic tension" levels of compulsive quippiness I'm alright.

Ninjimbo

I want to revel in self-serious darkness so I don't want too many quips. Hopefully all that shit is limited to the trailers and we get a serious movie out of it.

Where's my Armond White review? I bet he'll hate it lol.

Effect

Wonder if Campea will still insist that Gadot is terrible.
He will. He decided to die on that hill a long time ago. She could somehow be nominated for one of the many awards and he'd still talk shit about her.

Glad the impressions from critics are positive so far. Had to take a quick peak.

That is a concern I have as well Poodlestrike. I remember a good number of 3 of 5s being labeled rotten and last I checked that's a positive score. RT I believe let's the writer pick regardless of their score.

Dead

well not really...yet
Honestly don't even give a shit if the movie hits critically but it would be nice if Gal gets praise simply for how disgusting a lot of the criticism towards her has been.

Odoul

Well... I'm glad early critical impression seem good. We'll see how that works out for reviews, I remember seeing a lot of 7/10 Rottens for BvS.

Honestly, while I do appreciate a srs bsns comic book movie (else I wouldn't be here, obvs.), as long as it doesn't venture into Avengers 2 "step on your own dramatic tension" levels of compulsive quippiness I'm alright.

Avengers 2 was just such a weird movie. It didn't get to the second Thor level of literally sacrificing any drama for a cheap sitcom joke but it was close. Especially after that "strings" trailer.

And that last confrontation between Ultron and Vision proved it was perfectly capable of characters genuinely going through an arc and emote, it just chose not to. Much like the bar scene in Suicide Squad.

Avengers 2 was just such a weird movie. It didn't get to the second Thor level of literally sacrificing any drama for a cheap sitcom joke but it was close. Especially after that "strings" trailer.

And that last confrontation between Ultron and Vision proved it was perfectly capable of characters genuinely going through an arc and emote, it just chose not to. Much like the bar scene in Suicide Squad.

Strings trailer was the best part of the movie tbh. And while that final confrontation was good, literally everything leading up to it was... uh, not. So idk. It was a well executed scene, but it felt kinda unearned.

And holy shit the whole big fight was just them saving civilians from junky robots for what felt like 30 minutes. Went on forever.

Boke1879

At this point. Ya just gotta wait for reviews and hopefully those are good. But we all know people will be looking at the RT score.

Right now there is an out with these impressions. Just with what you said. People are waiting on certain reviews/saying this isn't a concensus. We'll see.

ed: ^ Agreed completely with that.

Definitely waiting for reviews because so far all of these have had good "first impressions"

That said, would be lying if I said one didn't catch my eye

@mikeryan
Easily the best of the DCEU. And I liked MAN OF STEEL. It's part CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER and part "fish out of water" THOR 1.

This has probably sold me more on giving the film a chance than any of the trailers and any promo material except one poster. (Although the MoS compliment obviously has me wary.)

Boke1879

ed: ^ Agreed completely with that.

Definitely waiting for reviews because so far all of these have had good "first impressions"

That said, would be lying if I said one didn't catch my eye

@mikeryan
Easily the best of the DCEU. And I liked MAN OF STEEL. It's part CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER and part "fish out of water" THOR 1.

This has probably sold me more on giving the film a chance than any of the trailers and any promo material except one poster. (Although the MoS compliment obviously has me wary.)

This isn't directly targeted to you, but it's something I have seen.

You say the MoS has you a bit wary. I think that's something we have to kinda disassociate from a bit. Certain people may like certain things I don't like.

That doesn't make his opinion less credible. Again not targeted at you, but it's just something I've noticed when people try to cast doubt.

WW will have to be a game changer to be better than BvS:UC ;p

Also seeing the DCEU still doomed anyway because Justice League posts have started.

Boke1879

WW will have to be a game changer to be better than BvS:UC ;p

Also seeing the DCEU still doomed anyway because Justice League posts have started.

Lets say WW reviews well. Gets something like 80-85 on RT.

You'll still have snarky posts about it being part of the dumpster fire DCEU. It's another reason why I want this movie to review well. because you'll really see certain people's prejudices.

IconGrist

This isn't directly targeted to you, but it's something I have seen.

You say the MoS has you a bit wary. I think that's something we have to kinda disassociate from a bit. Certain people may like certain things I don't like.

That doesn't make his opinion less credible. Again not targeted at you, but it's just something I've noticed when people try to cast doubt.

This is something I've seen done a lot and it never really makes sense. Not unless you have comprehensive knowledge of that person's tastes and how they relate to your own.

So for example:
Critic says he liked Man of Steel so reader finds that troubling but reader doesn't take into account that critic having views on other movies that line up with the reader's.

I talked about this in some Suicide Squad thread I believe. Our favorite ripping rock, Dash, discredited some early fan review of Suicide Squad as being invalid because that reviewer liked BvS. But that same reviewer loved Winter Soldier/Civil War (which on GAF are usually touted as the gold standard (hi Mads) of the MCU) so does that then re-credit that fan reviewer's opinion? It's nonsense to compare such things in that manner.

Polarburr

Can we have the bvs Twitter impressions from the same critics to compare with? Though I do think the fact that they are all comparing it to the rest of the DCEU and saying it's much better says a lot

wanting to see this as well.

the first BVS twitter impressions were from fan-screenings right?

At least no one will say the critics is against all DCU movies now.

Yea, it's gonna be interesting how some people will reconcile this with the anti-DC bias narrative. 🤔🤔🤔

I'm honestly just glad that the first WW movie (directed by a woman no less!) isn't a disaster like the other three DCEU movies but actually really good. Hope that Marvel takes notes. I was gonna skip these but I'm gonna assemble the gang for this day 1.

The "cheerfulness and jokes" are just a byproduct of making those characters feel relatable. Nolan's Dark Knight movies weren't funny either and they didn't have to be because he nailed the human aspect of Bats.

I do think there's an inherent hate on against Snyder. SS was just bad.

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

BadAss2961

This is something I've seen done a lot and it never really makes sense. Not unless you have comprehensive knowledge of that person's tastes and how they relate to your own.

So for example:
Critic says he liked Man of Steel so reader finds that troubling but reader doesn't take into account that critic having views on other movies that line up with the reader's.

I talked about this in some Suicide Squad thread I believe. Our favorite ripping rock, Dash, discredited some early fan review of Suicide Squad as being invalid because that reviewer liked BvS. But that same reviewer loved Winter Soldier/Civil War (which on GAF are usually touted as the gold standard (hi Mads) of the MCU) so does that then re-credit that fan reviewer's opinion? It's nonsense to compare such things in that manner.
Review culture is lame, period.
dat office

tumblr_oq5jk89LQC1rs2uhvo2_540.jpg

Haters gonna hate.

ReiGun

Honestly don't even give a shit if the movie hits critically but it would be nice if Gal gets praise simply for how disgusting a lot of the criticism towards her has been.

I'd like this too. The discussion around Gal has been really gross at times, so I'd love if people had to eat crow over her casting.

Edit: LOL reading that press impressions thread. People are trying way to hard to put a negative spin on people liking a movie.

jrush64

Banned
The worst ones are the people that say bullshit like "everyone absolutely hated BvS" or some shit like that. Once again thinking they speak for the general public.

Guess I'm gonna crawl my butt to... New Jersey to see this next week

Pray for me!

*Cries*
I was gonna go on a wait list for a showing about an hour away until I realized I'll flying out of town for a wedding... Oh well, guess I'll be avoiding all social media and gaf until release to avoid spoilers.

Top Bottom