• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really confused. Is Superman being replaced? Or will there be several Supermen now? Is Wally West still a teenager or is the real Wally coming back? It would help if I didn't have a massive headache.

Yes
Only two powered Supermen getting their own books, Post Crisis Superman gets Action & Superman, Chinese Superman gets New Super-man. What happens to new 52 Superman is unknown, he might be dead or depowered.
New 52 Wally is a black teenager, he's on teen titans.
Real Wally's status is unknown. The initial rebirth teaser had two flashes on it, one jay garrick esque, and the other had Spikey hair and a different suit for New 52 Wally.

I have a really hard time giving a shit about anyone that isn't Batman on the DC side of things. I feel like none of the characters have storylines that are all that interesting, and the JL seems to always boil down to Batman engineering some insane solution, Superman beating the crap out of them, or Flash using the magic of Speedforce. I really want to be interested in characters like WW, Aquaman, and Green Lantern, but DC keeps this convoluted continuity and I don't find any of the Rebirth plot summaries even slightly exciting :(

I'm guessing you don't want to go back because it's out of continuity?

John's GL, & Tomasi's GLC are amazing runs. Better than most of Batman's runs ever put out. I enjoyed Azzarello's WW but I've heard great things about Rucka's and George Perez's runs, and now he's poised to do her Rebirth ongoing. Aquaman is a bit more limited, Johns run & Parkers run were both excellent. I haven't read much of Aquaman so maybe there's some older runs that are great.

No and also no.

Rebirth is, in terms of books being put out, a single giant oneshot and then a bunch of series-specific oneshots. It's not a crisis, nothing's getting rebooted or erased from continuity.

Eh. It's fairly clear that they're not re-rebooting or un-rebooting and that *most* of the New 52 continuity is being retained, but I would hesitate to say anything that definitive before the Rebirth one-shot is out.

ElNarez

Banned
Yes
Only two powered Supermen getting their own books, Post Crisis Superman gets Action & Superman, Chinese Superman gets New Super-man. What happens to new 52 Superman is unknown, he might be dead or depowered.

For the record, his most current status in the Superman books is "dying from everything that has happened to Superman in every book over the course of 2015".

squadr0n

Getting back to DC Pre New 52 continuity is a good thing but it feels like they are still making more bad decisions than good. The whole bi monthly releases is seriously going to affect the stories and art imo, especially if they have 2 completely different artists working on every other issue. If dont right it could work really well but I dont see how they could keep it up after the first couple of story arcs. Something like Bendis's Daredevil arc with the art changing worked really well in that sense.

I really dont like what they are doing with Superman at all, Lois Lane being Superwoman lol and having a Chinese superman wtf! Absorbing Superman's powers makes it seem like hes Rouge or something.

Will wait and see what happens I guess. Ill definitely be picking up the main arc but after that I doubt Ill be getting anything else other than All Star Batman.

Veelk

Banned
This. Batman`s previous few besides INC had been bland for a while
And the Inc costume was ugly as hell. I made a post earlier about how out of place a batsymbol with a yellow circle looks in any modern depiction and that suit decided to make it a protruding feature. And I never like it when the Cape is too close to the symbol. I hated it.

This suit actually looks good in addition to being unique. The yellow outline incorporates the signal in such a way that actually looks good and is in line with modern sensibilities. The belt looks practical while also having a bat aspect design (it looks like fangs). Also, Capello is the only one who seems to remember to draw it like this, but the dome design of the cowl is something I favor as well. A featureless mask looks better than a form fitting one. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the cape. The purple hasn't bothered me so far, which is surprising in itself, but there hasn't been a drawing of it yet where I thought it was better with the purple than it would be without it.

Best batsuit in a long damn time.

Hourman's thing is that he takes Miraclo, which gives him one "Hour of Power." Dr. Midnite has an owl buddy named Hootie. They're fighting this demon and Hourman used up his Hour of Power (he only takes like, one a day or otherwise he'd fuck up his body something fierce). Hootie gets hit so Hourman gives Hootie a Miraclo which prompts Hootie to wake the fuck up and murderdome that demon.
Did that owl just call some bald dude a whore?

NO, HOOTIE IS MAKING OWL NOISES. LOOK AT HOW MANY E'S THERE ARE.

Getting back to DC Pre New 52 continuity is a good thing but it feels like they are still making more bad decisions than good. The whole bi monthly releases is seriously going to affect the stories and art imo, especially if they have 2 completely different artists working on every other issue. If dont right it could work really well but I dont see how they could keep it up after the first couple of story arcs. Something like Bendis's Daredevil arc with the art changing worked really well in that sense.

I really dont like what they are doing with Superman at all, Lois Lane being Superwoman lol and having a Chinese superman wtf! Absorbing Superman's powers makes it seem like hes Rouge or something.

Will wait and see what happens I guess. Ill definitely be picking up the main arc but after that I doubt Ill be getting anything else other than All Star Batman.

eh, they said they've already accommodated for double shipping not working out. I think they have a ton of titles in the wings already, like LoSH, Doom Patrol and possibly Shazam.

I guess they're allowing retailers to refund all the Rebirth issues if they don't sell.

Hourman's thing is that he takes Miraclo, which gives him one "Hour of Power." Dr. Midnite has an owl buddy named Hootie. They're fighting this demon and Hourman used up his Hour of Power (he only takes like, one a day or otherwise he'd fuck up his body something fierce). Hootie gets hit so Hourman gives Hootie a Miraclo which prompts Hootie to wake the fuck up and murderdome that demon.

Sorry, I'm familiar with the pre-Flashpoint JSA, I just hadn't read that issue. Hilarious that Miraclo would work on Hootie.

Mael

Of course I managed to finally get into comics thanks to n52 and they do a reboot where I can't make head or tails from everything!

Can I summon the infinite knowledge of ComicsGAF to help me pave a path forward?

Basically this is what I have :
nightwing n52 : 1->4
Batman n52 : 1->3
Gotham Academy : 1->2
Selfie Batgirl : 1->2
Wonder Woman n52 : 1
Justice League n52 : 1
Green Lantern n52 : 1
Flash n52 : 1
Aquaman n52 : 1
Superman Red Son,
Superman Unchained,
Kingdom Come,
Killing Joke.

My questions are pretty simple :

Can I just continue finishing what I have here till I run out of new volume and pick up rebirth when volume compilations will come out?

Where do I get to see what happens to damian wayne after Death of the family because it sure as hell isn't in Batman or Nightwing?

If I liked Superman Unchained because it's awesome, should I pick up Superman n52, Superman Action comics n52 or something else?

Why is Green Lantern so confusing and where do I get to read who Sinestro even is?

can someone quickly sum up what's up with the earth one character comics? Is that basically origin stories of characters in a way in a n52 or another era?

I used the wrong thread did I?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Of course I managed to finally get into comics thanks to n52 and they do a reboot where I can't make head or tails from everything!

Can I summon the infinite knowledge of ComicsGAF to help me pave a path forward?

Basically this is what I have :
nightwing n52 : 1->4
Batman n52 : 1->3
Gotham Academy : 1->2
Selfie Batgirl : 1->2
Wonder Woman n52 : 1
Justice League n52 : 1
Green Lantern n52 : 1
Flash n52 : 1
Aquaman n52 : 1
Superman Red Son,
Superman Unchained,
Kingdom Come,
Killing Joke.

My questions are pretty simple :

Can I just continue finishing what I have here till I run out of new volume and pick up rebirth when volume compilations will come out?

Where do I get to see what happens to damian wayne after Death of the family because it sure as hell isn't in Batman or Nightwing?

If I liked Superman Unchained because it's awesome, should I pick up Superman n52, Superman Action comics n52 or something else?

Why is Green Lantern so confusing and where do I get to read who Sinestro even is?

can someone quickly sum up what's up with the earth one character comics? Is that basically origin stories of characters in a way in a n52 or another era?

I used the wrong thread did I?

There are definitely some books you'll want to stick with. As to the books I can speak for...

Batman you should read through its entirety, though I'd also say you should read Batman Eternal in-between Vol 6 and Vol 7.
Gotham Academy is a fun thing.
"selfie Batgirl" is good.
Wonder Woman, to get the entirety of that arc, you should read through Vol 1-6.
Justice League has its ups and downs... You can skip most of it, but definitely check out Darkseid War.
Aquaman, you should read through Vol 1-6. Throne of Atlantis is an especially memorable book.
Superman Red Son is a great read
Kingdom Come is great.
Killing Joke is a pretty important book in the history of Batman comics, though it may not ring as strongly if you're coming this late.

If you're going to read all that Nightwing, you may as well also read Forever Evil, and then on to Grayson.

Green Lantern, I can't really speak to. It got real weird with the reboot by sorta continuing, but not continuing... *shrug*

You should read Tomasi's Batman and Robin, though what happens to Damian comes from Batman Incorporated... It's kind of a crazy read, even with having read the entirety of Grant Morrison's Batman run.

The Earth One books are completely separate from anything else. They're simply contemporary and reinvisioned takes on these characters and their origins. Some of pretty great, others are kinda... eh.

Earth one batman is superb. I couldn't get into earth one superman that much. People say man of steel is based on that book, but I really don't see much in common between it.

Haven't read earth one TT or any of the others.

I haven't read the truth arc yet, but I liked Geoff John's Men of Tomorrow Superman trade that just came out. Nothing groundbreaking but a lot of fun and it shows his new superpower.

Sou Da

Earth one batman is superb. I couldn't get into earth one superman that much. People say man of steel is based on that book, but I really don't see much in common between it.

Haven't read earth one TT or any of the others.

I haven't read the truth arc yet, but I liked Geoff John's Men of Tomorrow Superman trade that just came out. Nothing groundbreaking but a lot of fun and it shows his new superpower.
Earth one is a response to MoS and I love it, only big gripe I have is the artist switch in vol 3

Mael

There are definitely some books you'll want to stick with. As to the books I can speak for...

Batman you should read through its entirety, though I'd also say you should read Batman Eternal in-between Vol 6 and Vol 7.
Gotham Academy is a fun thing.
"selfie Batgirl" is good.
Wonder Woman, to get the entirety of that arc, you should read through Vol 1-6.
Justice League has its ups and downs... You can skip most of it, but definitely check out Darkseid War.
Aquaman, you should read through Vol 1-6. Throne of Atlantis is an especially memorable book.
Superman Red Son is a great read
Kingdom Come is great.
Killing Joke is a pretty important book in the history of Batman comics, though it may not ring as strongly if you're coming this late.
Thanks for the advice!
I read most of what I have(only missing flash really and batgirl vol2),
I expected so much worse than what I got, I feel like a kid in a candy store at times!
If you're going to read all that Nightwing, you may as well also read Forever Evil, and then on to Grayson.
I didn't expect to like Nightwing but it's fun so might as well.
I heard great things about Grayson so I guess I have to start that.
Green Lantern, I can't really speak to. It got real weird with the reboot by sorta continuing, but not continuing... *shrug*
GL n52 vol 1 imo is a rather cool read when you know nothing about anything GL :lol
I feel like I need to get blackest night and the things before, not my best idea to start this one like that.
You should read Tomasi's Batman and Robin, though what happens to Damian comes from Batman Incorporated... It's kind of a crazy read, even with having read the entirety of Grant Morrison's Batman run.
Ok so I have to start Batman&Robin n52 to get what's happening.
It's not that serious but I learned what happened in Nightwing vol 3 with the cover art in the middle of the book with no warning!
I stopped reading immediately because it seemed so important to what I was reading like I somehow skipped 30mins in a movie!
The Earth One books are completely separate from anything else. They're simply contemporary and reinvisioned takes on these characters and their origins. Some of pretty great, others are kinda... eh.

Ok, so they're as important to the ongoing runs as stuffs like Killing Joke and Kingdom come in a way.
And you and Schweinehund made the case for Earth 1, I have to read them now.

What's up with artist switch midbooks in comics btw?
I'm reading Nightwing with a good consistent art and great paneling and in the middle of nowhere boom artstyle change and it's an ugly Nightwing with a jarring style and proportion error galore.
This is common? I feel like it's happening in nearly all my n52 books! only self contained books and stuffs like batgirl aren't doing that!

Teen Titans Earth One is pretty great. Volume 2 is coming soon!

Ok, so they're as important to the ongoing runs as stuffs like Killing Joke and Kingdom come in a way.

Not really. Kingdom Come is kind of a weird case 'cause elements of that universe ended up turning up in the main one, and Killing Joke is basically canon, but Earth One has 0 connection to the current main series. It's good, though.

Mael

Not really. Kingdom Come is kind of a weird case 'cause elements of that universe ended up turning up in the main one, and Killing Joke is basically canon, but Earth One has 0 connection to the current main series. It's good, though.

The way I understand Killing Joke for n52, is that it happened already but not necessarily in the way the comic is showing (like batman costumes or minor details).
Looking at your avatar I can't not ask where should I start for the beetle?

Sandfox

Didn't Killing Joke get "retconned" recently?

The way I understand Killing Joke for n52, is that it happened already but not necessarily in the way the comic is showing (like batman costumes or minor details).
Looking at your avatar I can't not ask where should I start for the beetle?

Yeah, but KJ still happened. Barbs got paralyzed for a while. Earth One is like... totally, entirely unconnected.

And you should read the 06 run of BB.

Didn't Killing Joke get "retconned" recently?

Naw. For a hot minute it looked like they might've, then the author walked it back to "believe what you want to believe," then it got all the way to "no, that still happened."

the killing joke "retcon" is some fan theory gone wild.

I'm also going to shill Curse of Shazam because I can and I need his ongoing to pull over 70k.

Squire

Banned

I'm reading KC and the JSA stuff right now! It's coooool.

Mael

Yeah, but KJ still happened. Barbs got paralyzed for a while. Earth One is like... totally, entirely unconnected.

And you should read the 06 run of BB.

Naw. For a hot minute it looked like they might've, then the author walked it back to "believe what you want to believe," then it got all the way to "no, that still happened."
Ok good to know.
For BB if we're talking about this one
51NWDCs3EJL._SX238_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
It's a bit on the expensive side I guess...

I'm also going to shill Curse of Shazam because I can and I need his ongoing to pull over 70k.

If that's the n52 run of Shazam like google seems to tell me, I'll probably get it something like tomorrow.

It makes no sense to retcon tKJ, it's important for Babs, Jim Gordon, the Joker and Batman as well.
I mean sure Babs is the character most clearly affected by the events but it makes no sense to retcon it when the other Batgirl comics directly reference it in Death of the Family!

Sandfox

When is DC going to give us a Flash family? I'm not a fan of where Barry's story seems to be going, but I would love a Wally or Jay book featuring something different.

It wasn't really a fan theory because the book implied it and the creators were saying things that lead people to think that way as well when the issue first came out.

It makes no sense to retcon tKJ, it's important for Babs, Jim Gordon, the Joker and Batman as well.
I mean sure Babs is the character most clearly affected by the events but it makes no sense to retcon it when the other Batgirl comics directly reference it in Death of the Family!

It seems like there's a group of people that hate The Killing Joke and the effect it had on Barbara.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I might be in the minortiy but I really enjoyed Wrath of the First Lantern/GL:Vol 3. Some crazy shit goes on toward the end of the story and the epilogue was very touching.

Mael

When is DC going to give us a Flash family? I'm not a fan of where Barry's story seems to be going, but I would love a Wally or Jay book featuring something different.

I totally blame you guys if I'm unable to finish Flash vol 1 :p
You're always talking about how great the other Flash are and how the other is now really a good run.
I joke but the more people are down on something the more I can be pleasantly surprised :)

It wasn't really a fan theory because the book implied it and the creators were saying things that lead people to think that way as well when the issue first came out.

It seems like there's a group of people that hate The Killing Joke and the effect it had on Barbara.

I won't say I'm a fan of what Killing Joke did with Barbara and how it treated this specific event.
then again it's the joker, he's a pervert by default so it kinda fits, it's too close to treating Batgirl like a prop for comfort because really what's happening is really a bit to close to "woman in a fridge" (the whole focus is not on her but her father, it's done to provoke a reaction...you know the drill).
but really the aftermath is not bad and outside of that it puts a personal touch to Barbara that is really nice. I mean the way she reacts to even the mention of the Joker in what I read is really great. I think I only read Hush that a friend lent me with Barbara in a wheelchair and Oracle wasn't anything special I guess.
The way Barbara is in n52 and "selfie" batgirl is better with Killing Joke than without I think.

tim1138

I might be in the minortiy but I really enjoyed Wrath of the First Lantern/GL:Vol 3. Some crazy shit goes on toward the end of the story and the epilogue was very touching.

I think the ending was a bit rushed (that's when corporate mandated Johns could only write 1-2 books at a time), but overall I really liked it. Issue 20 was a nice bookend for Johns run, and I loved the epilogue as well.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I like the Killing Joke and all, but I wouldn't say I'm blind to the criticism against it, especially in recent years.

It's less the effect it had on Barbara and moreso how she's used in that story, and that that's the single go-to moment for such an iconic character. Like if I had a daughter who loved Batgirl and thought she was so cool, at what point do I then go "Let me tell you about when she gets shot and potentially raped as a tertiary character in a story that isn't really about her at all"?

Like... in an industry with a shit-ton of negative portrayals of women, treating your most iconic female characters like that super sucks. Especially when you have so few positive examples to counter-act that stuff with. And with the "Batgirl of Burnside" reinterpretation, or Harley freeing herself from the Joker and just being this free spirit getting into trouble all around the DCU, or making Catwoman a crime boss as opposed to a prostitute, there's value in trying to portray DC's more iconic female characters in a more positive way.

Squire

Banned

The Ostraders seemed to create Oracle as a counter action to TKJ, even. They hated it waaaaay back then.

Apt101

Yes
New 52 Wally is a black teenager, he's on teen titans.
Real Wally's status is unknown. The initial rebirth teaser had two flashes on it, one jay garrick esque, and the other had Spikey hair and a different suit for New 52 Wally.

Thanks, I'm having a hard time keeping up.

And Hamner's art was so good in Blue Beetle.

Mael

So I was going to start Shazam n52, but there's only 1 volume?
Can someone explain the situation?
And btw Vol 1 of Justice league in hard cover is 20 bucks, with the film War it costs 24 bucks.
Vol 2 is 30 bucks for hardcover and it's out of print in both Amazon AND Barnes&Nobles?
Who the fuck is responsible for handling the inventory in DC Comics?
and I'm not trying to get stuffs from 20 years ago!

I like the Killing Joke and all, but I wouldn't say I'm blind to the criticism against it, especially in recent years.

It's less the effect it had on Barbara and moreso how she's used in that story, and that that's the single go-to moment for such an iconic character. Like if I had a daughter who loved Batgirl and thought she was so cool, at what point do I then go "Let me tell you about when she gets shot and potentially raped as a tertiary character in a story that isn't really about her at all"?

Like... in an industry with a shit-ton of negative portrayals of women, treating your most iconic female characters like that super sucks. Especially when you have so few positive examples to counter-act that stuff with. And with the "Batgirl of Burnside" reinterpretation, or Harley freeing herself from the Joker and just being this free spirit getting into trouble all around the DCU, or making Catwoman a crime boss as opposed to a prostitute, there's value in trying to portray DC's more iconic female characters in a more positive way.

Batgirl of burnside is really colorful take on the character that is a bit childish at times but kinda works for me.
Harley being free of the Joker, I don't know I feel like I don't really like that.
Catwoman as a crime boss is a fantastic idea

tim1138

So I was going to start Shazam n52, but there's only 1 volume?
Can someone explain the situation?
And btw Vol 1 of Justice league in hard cover is 20 bucks, with the film War it costs 24 bucks.
Vol 2 is 30 bucks for hardcover and it's out of print in both Amazon AND Barnes&Nobles?
Who the fuck is responsible for handling the inventory in DC Comics?
and I'm not trying to get stuffs from 20 years ago!

Yep, there's only one Shazam collection. There were only two issues of N52 Shazam published (JL 0, and 17 or 18), the rest of it appeared as backups in Justice League every month.

DC tends to only keep original hardcover releases in print for a year or so, once it comes out in paperback they stop printing new hardcovers.

Mael

Yep, there's only one Shazam collection. There were only two issues of N52 Shazam published (JL 0, and 17 or 18), the rest of it appeared as backups in Justice League every month.
It's massively misleading to call it Vol1 if there's only 1!
I picked Batman vol 4 instead on Amazon.
It's counterintuitive
DC tends to only keep original hardcover releases in print for a year or so, once it comes out in paperback they stop printing new hardcovers.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
so Justice league vol1 is still in print because there's a special movie included edition,
Vol 3 to whatever are still in print
and vol 2 is out of print because fuck you don't deserve it, it's been more than a year?

tim1138

It's massively misleading to call it Vol1 if there's only 1!
I picked Batman vol 4 instead on Amazon.
It's counterintuitive

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
so Justice league vol1 is still in print because there's a special movie included edition,
Vol 3 to whatever are still in print
and vol 2 is out of print because fuck you don't deserve it, it's been more than a year?

Vol 1 is still in print in hardcover because of the movie edition, right. Volumes 3 - 6 aren't in print in hardcover as much as there's still existing stock floating around. To be fair, the vol 2 HC came out like 3 years ago. If you have comic shops around, check them out, you may luck into a hc copy that way. And honestly, as someone who has been reading N52 JL since the first issue, volumes 1 and 2 aren't even all that great. N52 Justice League didn't really get good until Throne of Atlantis (vol 3)

Mael

Vol 1 is still in print in hardcover because of the movie edition, right. Volumes 3 - 6 aren't in print in hardcover as much as there's still existing stock floating around. To be fair, the vol 2 HC came out like 3 years ago. If you have comic shops around, check them out, you may luck into a hc copy that way. And honestly, as someone who has been reading N52 JL since the first issue, volumes 1 and 2 aren't even all that great. N52 Justice League didn't really get good until Throne of Atlantis (vol 3)

I forgot how stuffs can get ridiculously expensive when they go out of print.
I like my shelf in order but not enough to shell 70 bucks on that for something I find acceptable.
I just discovered HPB which seems all kinds of awesome from a glance, I mean it's actually cheaper than amazon which isn't something I expected.
There seems to be a movie tied to Volume 3 of N52 JL but I don't know if it's like Vol1 where there's a special edition hardcover of it's just something else.
I'm kind of a sucker for ties-in and special edition if they're reasonable, I could also wait for Netflix to get that movie and get a regular edition...
Ok, it's decided it's going to be Shazam + JL vol2 for now.

Sinestro has his own comic.

This is going to be expensive fast I feel.

LordRaptor

Like... in an industry with a shit-ton of negative portrayals of women, treating your most iconic female characters like that super sucks. Especially when you have so few positive examples to counter-act that stuff with.

I think the real problem with this argument is that Oracle was one of the very few positive disabled role models characters in comics at all.
Potentially any female character can be written well as a positive role model, and 'fun batgirl' could just as easily have been, say, Spoiler rather than Barbara Gordon.
Who's a disabled kid rooting for in the DCU? Lame-in-every-sense CM3? Borderline-supervillain-actual-asshole Niles Caulder?

KonradLaw

With real Azrael appearing in recent Batman & Robin Eternal I really hope DC will consider giving him his own series somewhere down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom