• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow that's such a great deal. Now I cannot buy the digital editions now that I know I would be paying twice as much (and that's just for the titles I actually want). And I'm not breaking my collection by ordering physical books. I think I'll wait the two months it takes for these issues to drop in price before I buy them on Comixology. Damn, why can't DC bundle digitals with the floppies like Marvel does?

Oof, makes it hard to be digital-only.

Wow that's such a great deal. Now I cannot buy the digital editions now that I know I would be paying twice as much (and that's just for the titles I actually want). And I'm not breaking my collection by ordering physical books. I think I'll wait the two months it takes for these issues to drop in price before I buy them on Comixology. Damn, why can't DC bundle digitals with the floppies like Marvel does?

I would wager DC still doesn't get digital like Marvel does.

Might snatch that up. Local offerings aren't great. Haven't had a physical comic in like 6 years. With international shipping it's $40USD.

Not a big fan of the face but otherwise great.

Man my heart breaks for you all over seas. I can't believe you have to fork out so much for international shipping. We live in such a crazy time of technological growth and we still have to pay so much to ship overseas.

So, do they have an ECCC panel? Didn't Johns say the JSA creative team/more news was coming for ECCC?

Jim Lee mentioned a major announcement at ECCC, but didn't give more than that. Since he's more involved with publishing, I hope it's DC Unlimited. Would give people the opportunity to catch up in time for rebirth.

Effect

That's a damn good deal. Was going to go digital with them but for that price it's very hard to pass this up. I wonder if they'll wait until they're all out and then ship or ship them as they release?

Edit:

Looked. Forgot they give you options for how often you want something to ship. Those cost really add up with the flat fee it seems if you have things come weekly or twice a month.

Yeah, I was wondering whether or not to post about Young Animal in here. Was leaning towards "no" since it's not really linked to Rebirth, as such. Or it doesn't seem to be, at least.

jph139

Looks like we have a final look for New Super-Man? Maybe?

CMC5KBT.jpg

Honestly not a fan of that symbol at all. The characters were a lot fresher and I'm not feeling the octagon at all - if they were set on the S, they should have stuck with the shield.

Looks like we have a final look for New Super-Man? Maybe?

Honestly not a fan of that symbol at all. The characters were a lot fresher and I'm not feeling the octagon at all - if they were set on the S, they should have stuck with the shield.

Hmm... I kind of agree, but at the same time they're going for something specifically Chinese, so the octagon sort of makes some sense on that level.

1460445561507.jpg

Guess we're getting JSA at a later date. Wonder what Bronze age JLA team has to do with this. Maybe they're the stars of JLA? Seems like too much fuckery with even more alternate earths running around.

Not trying to hate on Aquaman but it's more sensible that Cyborg's on the team instead of him. Even Mera makes more sense.

It's not like most JL runs don't ignore him anyways. His powers are just too limited on places not on earth. I liked the Earth-2 Aquawoman but she was near broken with her ability to manipulate water in people's brains.

arkon

I'm going to take that cover at face value and say the Time Trapper is involved.

Did we get a version of the Time Trapper in the new 52?

Not trying to hate on Aquaman but it's more sensible that Cyborg's on the team instead of him. Even Mera makes more sense.

It's not like most JL runs don't ignore him anyways. His powers are just too limited on places not on earth. I liked the Earth-2 Aquawoman but she was near broken with her ability to manipulate water in people's brains.

Super strength and invulnerability are limited?

Super strength and invulnerability are limited?

It's redundant on that team. You already have Superman, WW and MMH. Cyborg brings a boom tube, tech skills and is also another flyer/can endure space. Arthur's main strength imo is having reinforcements from Atlantis and sea creatures. Those are both located offworld.

Ofc this is all up to the writer and what he wants to do with the characters, just saying I don't get the hate for Cyborg when Aquaman or Shazam are on the team, and are also mostly redundant or bring little to the table. I can't think of too many compelling Aquaman centric League Stories either, just Throne of Atlantis.

It's redundant on that team. You already have Superman, WW and MMH. Cyborg brings a boom tube, tech skills and is also another flyer/can endure space. Arthur's main strength imo is having reinforcements from Atlantis and sea creatures. Those are both located offworld.

Ofc this is all up to the writer and what he wants to do with the characters, just saying I don't get the hate for Cyborg when Aquaman or Shazam are on the team, and are also mostly redundant or bring little to the table. I can't think of too many compelling Aquaman centric League Stories either, just Throne of Atlantis.

That's never been a JL issue before.

I don't get the hate either. Both heroes are pretty magic.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Did that owl just call some bald dude a whore?

They should just give him his water hand back but nerf it so he can't move water in people's brains. Then he can fly on water particles and water-rocket himself through space like Green Lantern.

Or they could just treat him and Mera like a unit on the Justice League. And make Arthur's trident sharp enough to stab Anti Monitor's balls off. Now he is relevant.

So is Rebirth an event mini-series? Is this another Crisis?

No and also no.

Rebirth is, in terms of books being put out, a single giant oneshot and then a bunch of series-specific oneshots. It's not a crisis, nothing's getting rebooted or erased from continuity.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I vaguely recall someone mentioning this during the announcement but did they say anything about bringing back Dr. Fate's classic look?

Rebirth sounds more like a starting point, that it will put things in motion for the next event. I'm guessing they're going Marvel style with full on events. They tried loose continuity with DCYou and sales didn't really respond, even though I thought it was solid. I just hope they can make at least half their events noteworthy and good.

That's never been a JL issue before.

I don't get the hate either. Both heroes are pretty magic.

They should just give him his water hand back but nerf it so he can't move water in people's brains. Then he can fly on water particles and water-rocket himself through space like Green Lantern.

Or they could just treat him and Mera like a unit on the Justice League. And make Arthur's trident sharp enough to stab Anti Monitor's balls off. Now he is relevant.

I liked the Artifacts that he was playing around with in John's run, kind of like Hawkman's Claw of Horus. I'm guessing Seven Seas will be the first or second big event after Rebirth. We already know Johns is writing it.

Rebirth sounds more like a starting point, that it will put things in motion for the next event. I'm guessing they're going Marvel style with full on events. They tried loose continuity with DCYou and sales didn't really respond, even though I thought it was solid. I just hope they can make at least half their events noteworthy and good.

I liked the Artifacts that he was playing around with in John's run, kind of like Hawkman's Claw of Horus. I'm guessing Seven Seas will be the first or second big event after Rebirth. We already know Johns is writing it.

I don't like how Jeff Parker forgot about the ultimate artifact that created earthquakes or something. It seemed like a cool way to power Aquaman up without lamely giving him the strength of Superman. Dan Abnett's run so far feels like he is going to grow the scale of Aquaman's world so hopefully he grows his arsenal too.

I have a really hard time giving a shit about anyone that isn't Batman on the DC side of things. I feel like none of the characters have storylines that are all that interesting, and the JL seems to always boil down to Batman engineering some insane solution, Superman beating the crap out of them, or Flash using the magic of Speedforce. I really want to be interested in characters like WW, Aquaman, and Green Lantern, but DC keeps this convoluted continuity and I don't find any of the Rebirth plot summaries even slightly exciting :(

KonradLaw

I have a really hard time giving a shit about anyone that isn't Batman on the DC side of things. I feel like none of the characters have storylines that are all that interesting, and the JL seems to always boil down to Batman engineering some insane solution, Superman beating the crap out of them, or Flash using the magic of Speedforce. I really want to be interested in characters like WW, Aquaman, and Green Lantern, but DC keeps this convoluted continuity and I don't find any of the Rebirth plot summaries even slightly exciting :(

You don't give a shit about John Constantine? You should give a shit about John Constantine :)

KonradLaw

I've never read any of his stuff, but I have loved every live-action iteration of the character--even that Keanu Reeves movie was pretty legit for the time it came out.

Yeah. From perspective of time this was pretty damn underrated movie. Aside from it not getting the character right it was simply really really fun supernatural thriller with great designs and strong performances.

Apt101

I'm really confused. Is Superman being replaced? Or will there be several Supermen now? Is Wally West still a teenager or is the real Wally coming back? It would help if I didn't have a massive headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom