• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interested in picking up the Super League story, seems like it will be important to the rebirth storyline and I enjoy Tomasi's writing.

Anyway here's one (and an emphasis on that) store keeper's experience with Rebirth

-basically massive interest in dc, very few cancellations
-cyborg had the lowest preorders at 3% :(, Batman the most of course.
-the most popular were batman rebirth, 80 page rebirth one shot, and flash rebirth
-The Super-man pulled in 19%, so that's encouraging. Hope it's a good book, was concerned about it's reception with an east asian male lead AND a new character.
-Super-woman least popular new character with 9%.
-Blue beetle second worse after cyborg. That sucks because I thought it looked interesting.

Busaiku

So after reading Titans Hunt and the previews indicating that Titans have a major role in the DC Rebirth issue, and since New 52 Superman is still alive, it would be hilarious if the major death they hyped is just
Dove or Hawk

MartyStu

They want Cyborg to take off but won't put flagship writers or artists on him lol. Why even bother?

The artist for the first few issues of the most recent run was pretty good, but yeah, I agree.

Cyborg can only happen if they put some Batman-quality artists and writers on him. Unfortunately(?), those artists and writers are going over to rehabilitate the walking corpse that is the Superman books.

Even then, I am not sure because Cyborg is DC's Carol Danvers: utterly undeserving of the effort and nigh impossible to make genuinely interesting.

Messi

Really interested in picking up the Super League story, seems like it will be important to the rebirth storyline and I enjoy Tomasi's writing.

Anyway here's one (and an emphasis on that) store keeper's experience with Rebirth

-basically massive interest in dc, very few cancellations
-cyborg had the lowest preorders at 3% :(, Batman the most of course.
-the most popular were batman rebirth, 80 page rebirth one shot, and flash rebirth
-The Super-man pulled in 19%, so that's encouraging. Hope it's a good book, was concerned about it's reception with an east asian male lead AND a new character.
-Super-woman least popular new character with 9%.
-Blue beetle second worse after cyborg. That sucks because I thought it looked interesting.

Hey that's my store

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The artist for the first few issues of the most recent run was pretty good, but yeah, I agree.

Cyborg can only happen if they put some Batman-quality artists and writers on him. Unfortunately(?), those artists and writers are going over to rehabilitate the walking corpse that is the Superman books.

Even then, I am not sure because Cyborg is DC's Carol Danvers: utterly undeserving of the effort and nigh impossible to make genuinely interesting.
It's truly baffling this is who they've chosen to rally behind and push given other minority characters in the DC pantheon.

shingi70

Banned
It's truly baffling this is who they've chosen to rally behind and push given other minority characters in the DC pantheon.

Man Black Lightning would have been the perfect choice, he's interesting outside of being a superhero and makes for better film plots.

I do like Cyborg but even there DC doesn't know how to handle his elevation. Dude should not only be a rockstar, and with him being Younger make him the leader of the Titans or Outsiders training the next generation of heroes who don't connect with the Batmans and Supermans of the DCU.

Another interesting take was during Flashpoint where Victor was that Earth's most popular Hero and loved by everyone. We already know that the Goverment has sponsored heroes who run run the red, white, and blue. Why not use Cyborg as that US government/Argus Heroe and have him team up with Captain Atom and the Metal Men.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Man Black Lightning would have been the perfect choice, he's interesting outside of being a superhero and makes for better film plots.

I do like Cyborg but even there DC doesn't know how to handle his elevation. Dude should not only be a rockstar, and with him being Younger make him the leader of the Titans or Outsiders training the next generation of heroes who don't connect with the Batmans and Supermans of the DCU.

Another interesting take was during Flashpoint where Victor was that Earth's most popular Hero and loved by everyone. We already know that the Goverment has sponsored heroes who run run the red, white, and blue. Why not use Cyborg as that US government/Argus Heroe and have him team up with Captain Atom and the Metal Men.
Lightning, Vixen, Reyes, Mr. Terrific...all great characters to bring into the foreground. There's only so many times you can beat the "am I really human?" drum before it gets worn out. Giving him distinct personality would go along way like you said but it seems they just don't know what to do with him.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Why the fuck didn't they use Mr. Terrific? I mean he a) doesn't belong to another team b) still occupies a unique tech corner of the DCU that other JL members don't really touch, and c) looks baller as fuck.

MartyStu

Lightning, Vixen, Reyes, Mr. Terrific...all great characters to bring into the foreground. There's only so many times you can beat the "am I really human?" drum before it gets worn out. Giving him distinct personality would go along way like you said but it seems they just don't know what to do with him.

Jaime would have been a great character to use.

He is powerful as fuck and would would have made for an interesting Spider-Man-like dynamic with the rest of the team.

shingi70

Banned
Why the fuck didn't they use Mr. Terrific? I mean he a) doesn't belong to another team b) still occupies a unique tech corner of the DCU that other JL members don't really touch, and c) looks baller as fuck.

Batman is the tech hero of the league, and the T face paint is dumb.

MartyStu

They already had their minority JL member in John Stewart, just bring him back.

Unless they paired him up with Hawkgirl, and pretty much gave both of them JLU personalities...no thanks.

John is probably the most boring of all the human Lanterns pre-Baz.

Wasn't J'onn always black in the cartoons.

Not always.

In JLU he became a Chinese man. In 'The Batman' he was a white detective. Same in 'New Frontier.'

kmfdmpig

Mr. Terrific could be great with the right writer. He was very good in JSA back in the day.

Unless they paired him up with Hawkgirl, and pretty much gave both of them JLU personalities...no thanks.

John is probably the most boring of all the human Lanterns pre-Baz.

Not always.

In JLU he became a Chinese man. In 'The Batman' he was a white detective. Same in 'New Frontier.'

I just plain disagree. I think hes the best Lantern. He fits the space cop role perfectly.

I'm going to buy the 80-page one shot and I've not bought a comic in nearly a decade. DC has grabbed me.

Though I have to ask about my favorite DC character. Will we get the "old" Lobo back? I really don't understand the 180 he got with the New 52.

Yousefb

Am I the only one who thinks the main Batman book has the weakest premise out of the bat books? King is probably the best writer though so it will probably balance out though.

I was expecting that development for Superman based on the June solics and it should be interesting.
I felt that way about Batman at first but after reading the descriptions in the article posted a few posts above I'm getting a bit more excited. Obviously I was in from the get go because of Tom King. But the fact the new Gotham character is described as some young naive guy who really wants to save the world you just know that King will ultimately put him in some really dark tragic situation. I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Eh, Cyborg been more of more use then a transportation machine lately.
Batman has the tech to take out the Justice League, so both Cyborg and Mr.Terrific are redundant on the team as tech dudes. Blue Beetle is too similar to Green Lantern. Black Lightning makes me mad because he's not as cool as Static and his suit is not black so his name as it is because of his skin color (ugh). And the JL could use more female representation so I nominate Vixen to replace Cyborg as the token black person.

Ross61

I really fail to see how any of the other black people mentioned are uniquely different or have something that would be worthy of elevating them to the Justice League. Hardly any of them aren't a weirder choice the Cyborg.

LordRaptor

Couldn't they just have made MM's human form a black guy? He could have been the Piccolo of the DC universe.

It used to be heavily implied MM not only had civilian identities all over the planet that ostensibly were various different ethnicities to fit in, but he also had a bunch of alternate super hero identities he used to provide coverage globally.

Man, MM was such a great character they ruined so hard for no good reason.

Apt101

Cyborg doesn't seem interesting, but he could be. Cleverly write about his tech to place him in the role MM used to fill. Coordination, communication, intel, and with the tech angle a lot more. I'm not sure what went wrong with him, but he never seemed that interesting to me on the Teen Titans, and he seemed pretty much the same in that new Justice League.

WB seems to want their comics to closely match their TV shows, movies, and cartoons, and they probably figured they needed more diversity, so Cyborg was elevated as they built up their plans and started making the animated movies.

I liked Vibe's series and I was disappointed it was cancelled. It's hard to sell anything these days that aren't Batman (related), Superman or Justice League for DC, let alone new/underused minority characters without a popular creative. I doubt Black Lightning or Mr. Terrific would have pulled in any more than Cyborg has, or Martian Manhunter is right now with the same creatives.

That being said I think their best shot is with the milestone characters, or at least static. It's a shame they're not owned by DC, I would have liked to see him on the new teen titans and his own book.

I wish Rebirth would kind of just hurry up and get here, besides the Super League story right now most everything else has felt like filler since Rebirth's been announced.

Darkseid War is still going on and it's on of the best events in recent memory.

Oh definitely, not saying everything is bad it's just been a couple weeks for a new Darkseid War issue, but the stuff that is mostly rebooting feels like filler. Martian Manhunter has been great too, but some of the other books just feel like filler now.

OmegaX

It used to be heavily implied MM not only had civilian identities all over the planet that ostensibly were various different ethnicities to fit in, but he also had a bunch of alternate super hero identities he used to provide coverage globally.

Man, MM was such a great character they ruined so hard for no good reason.
On the topic of MM, what exactly did they do to him? All I know is that he isn't a founding member of the JL anymore. I remember it was mentioned in JL vol 2 that they didn't want to accept Green arrow on the team because MM betrayed the team, then he helped defeat Despero without the league knowing, and he also helps rescue them in Forever Evil. Was it ever explained how did he betray the JL?

LordRaptor

On the topic of MM, what exactly did they do to him?

I dropped Nu52 a few months in, because I just wasn't feeling it at all as a longterm DC fan (which is why Im potentially interested in rebirth), so in fairness most of the ruining of him happened leading up to and during Final Crisis.
Last I saw of him, he was substitute Jack Hawksmoor in the nu52 Authority Stormwatch

MMH was preparing the JL for a future threat. I think it was the daemonites but I'm not sure.

Was surprised they never did anything with Helspont past some Superman/AC issues where he floored Superman. I just really like his design.

2266052-helspont_superman_1.jpg

Savitar

MMH was preparing the JL for a future threat. I think it was the daemonites but I'm not sure.

Was surprised they never did anything with Helspont past some Superman/AC issues where he floored Superman. I just really like his design.

2266052-helspont_superman_1.jpg

Pretty sure it was the result of the Wildstorm stuff not doing well at DC so they scrapped plans.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've been re-watching the Justice League Unlimited animated show and I'm just constantly amazed at how well written it is. The amount of information and story telling they are able to convey in a short 22 minute episode is impressive. The show also has a tendency to feature some of the lesser known DC characters and gives each of them a moment to shine. With that said, I just finished an episode with Shining Kight and Vigilante; if I wanted to read some books that promenently feature these characters, where should I start?

Not sure if there is a better place to ask this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom