• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRaptor

Man, I don't really like any of these designs. Though it doesn't matter to me much, never been a huge Suicide Squad guy.

the Ostrander Suicide Squad is a pretty great comics read that hasn't aged too badly; its also a pretty strong case for the "there's no such thing as bad characters, there's only bad writers" argument, because it managed to turn some serious jobber villains and c-list heroes into characters you could root for

So is there like a list out there regarding all the continuity changes and character rewrites this event is going to bring to the DC Universe?

Not really; we don't know, yet.

Besides, considering all of the setup and arc-finishing that's happening in the current books, it's pretty likely that actual outright continuity changes are going to be fairly minimal.

the Ostrander Suicide Squad is a pretty great comics read that hasn't aged too badly; its also a pretty strong case for the "there's no such thing as bad characters, there's only bad writers" argument, because it managed to turn some serious jobber villains and c-list heroes into characters you could root for

Yup. Everbody should read Ostrander Squad.

Dalek

wasn't there a list of key books to get caught up on before Rebirth? I want to say I remember it being Titans Hunt and Superman?

wasn't there a list of key books to get caught up on before Rebirth? I want to say I remember it being Titans Hunt and Superman?

Titan's Hunt seems to be pointing to what is possibly going on in Rebirth but doesn't seem important so much. I think they've said a key character is coming out of it. With only 1 or 2 issues left it just hasn't seemed too important yet. Superman has a cross title event going on that leads right into the Super titles of Rebirth and Darkseid War is supposed to be pretty big too.

THe current Super-book crossover is the big one, from what I can tell. Titans Hunt is leading directly into the post-Rebirth Titans book too, but it's actually becoming kind of apparent that most of the post-Rebirth titles are going to be continuations like that rather than radical shifts; they're setting up the post-Rebirth direction in Batgirl right now, for instance. The super-books are a pretty obvious exception, so you should probably be reading Super League.

Dalek

THe current Super-book crossover is the big one, from what I can tell. Titans Hunt is leading directly into the post-Rebirth Titans book too, but it's actually becoming kind of apparent that most of the post-Rebirth titles are going to be continuations like that rather than radical shifts; they're setting up the post-Rebirth direction in Batgirl right now, for instance. The super-books are a pretty obvious exception, so you should probably be reading Super League.

OK thanks. I'll get on Super League.

One thing that kind of shocked me was that Ostrander was the one who came up with Oracle. Like, that's really not where you'd expect that to happen, but the dude had a gift for taking characters nobody wanted and turning them into dynamos.

tim1138

And Count Vertigo was the first human to kill an Apokalips God....way before Batman shot Darkseid.

The whole arc with Duchess/Lashina was so great. Ostrander did a great job writing the New Gods characters, it's a shame he never got a shot at a dedicated New Gods book.

One thing that kind of shocked me was that Ostrander was the one who came up with Oracle. Like, that's really not where you'd expect that to happen, but the dude had a gift for taking characters nobody wanted and turning them into dynamos.

I don't think most people know Oracle debuted in Suicide Squad and was a reclamation project by Ostrander for a character no one wanted to touch or knew what to do with post Killing Joke.

Furyous

Not much new here, but the artist for WW wrote a little something for medium

https://medium.com/@liamsharp/so-ye...hy-you-should-read-it-3dbfb69d0b12#.iqpj6ja74

Is it possible to draw WW with some shorts or pants on? I refuse to believe she heads into dangerous environments without wearing shorts, pants, or something as those climates are cold. This has been bothering me for a minute as it distracts from the writing, IMHO. Don't give me the "she's an Amazon fuck the cold" argument. At least give her shorts or something.

Is it possible to draw WW with some shorts or pants on? I refuse to believe she heads into dangerous environments without wearing shorts, pants, or something as those climates are cold. This has been bothering me for a minute as it distracts from the writing, IMHO. Don't give me the "she's an Amazon fuck the cold" argument. At least give her shorts or something.

They've tried a couple of times. Her DCYou suit had pants, but people didn't respond well to it overall so they went back to her Justice League suit. And then there was the jacket redesign, which I really liked but most people HATED.

People prefer Wondy sans pants, I guess. The battle skirt is a good look.

They've tried a couple of times. Her DCYou suit had pants, but people didn't respond well to it overall so they went back to her Justice League suit. And then there was the jacket redesign, which I really liked but most people HATED.

The times WW has gotten pants are by artists that people have divisive opinions on. There was a lot of people that reacted positive to her wearing pants when Cliff Chiang was drawing WW compared to Jim Lee.

ReiGun

Wonder Woman fans typically either don't want her in pants, or don't care either way. The skirt has always been the best compromise as it fits the character's mythology and looks great. I do wish they'd settle on making it around knee length, though.

The jacket design is a fine design on its own. The problem is it doesn't really fit Diana. It loses much of the iconography and has little roots in her Greek origin. If you put the same outfit on Donna or Cassie, people probably would have been more receptive.

You have to also keep in mind that the jacket redesign was just one of many massive overhauls to Wonder Woman's look and also accompanied a huge shift in her lore/status quo. If there's anything Wonder Woman fans are tired of, it's DC constantly trying to "fix" the character.

Well, if nothing else, GA Rebirth is probably gonna be pretty good looking.

unnamed-7.jpg

What the fuck is Red Arrow's N52 backstory? Has he even met GA?

Roy was never a sidekick here, he was a support dude for Ollie until he tried to go out in the field without Ollie's okay, got pretty badly busted up. While recovering he got hooked on drugs and booze, and ended up going on a self-destructive bender until he attempted Suicide by Killer Croc and got taken to AA by the big scaly bro.

MartyStu

Roy was never a sidekick here, he was a support dude for Ollie until he tried to go out in the field without Ollie's okay, got pretty badly busted up. While recovering he got hooked on drugs and booze, and ended up going on a self-destructive bender until he attempted Suicide by Killer Croc and got taken to AA by the big scaly bro.

One of the few good things Lobdell has done with RHatO.

Dinah looks bad ass.
I wonder if Emiko will still be around

Man, I hope so. Easily my favorite new thing from the Lemire run.

Also, a few variant covers from the Rebirth oneshots. Most are good.

Green Lanterns, Alex Garner

Superman, Andy Park

Batman, Howard Porter

Green Arrow, Steve Skroce

I did say that most were good, right?

One of the few good things Lobdell has done with RHatO.

The All Caste stuff was like this close to being great, but Lobdell's inability to maintain focus detracted hugely.

And the changes to Kori's relationship with her sister weren't half bad either.

Bane

And then there was the jacket redesign, which I really liked but most people HATED.

I didn't care for the jacket itself but once she lost it I thought that was a fantastic design for her. The first version of her N52 outfit was a good evolution of it and the classic look but then they ditched the pants and it became boring again.

The times WW has gotten pants are by artists that people have divisive opinions on. There was a lot of people that reacted positive to her wearing pants when Cliff Chiang was drawing WW compared to Jim Lee.

I didn't care for the jacket itself but once she lost it I thought that was a fantastic design for her. The first version of her N52 outfit was a good evolution of it and the classic look but then they ditched the pants and it became boring again.

I seem to remember there being a hissyfit thrown over Chiang pants too, resulting in them getting swapped for the classic look.

Did Dinah bleach herself? And try to make herself look Barbie doll ish.

It's the lips that are throwing me off.

Savitar

Baz and his gun will never stop being absolutely, positively stupid.

It can actually work, there was another GL before who pulled it off, Jack T Chance I think? But Baz....well like a lot of things DC tried to do at the time his whole concept fell flat on it's face. Gun included.

I seem to remember there being a hissyfit thrown over Chiang pants too, resulting in them getting swapped for the classic look.

It's the lips that are throwing me off.

Reminds me of a lot of models that get injections.

Bane

There absolutely was, you're right. It was a sudden enough change that Kotobukiya couldn't change the design of their statue in time.

71-Gd5sM0LL._SY679_.jpg

NeonZ

So is there like a list out there regarding all the continuity changes and character rewrites this event is going to bring to the DC Universe?

DC has been pretty silent about the changes, or even what the "Rebirth" event itself is right now. People only learned about Jason Todd's post-crisis origin being restored when the preview for Red Hood went up. So, no, we don't know how far reaching they are.

anaron

Battle skirt WW is the greatest look and best compromise. The only thing they should adjust is making it lengthier.

TheFlow

Banned
I have zero faith green arrow will ever reach lemiere status. The new costume is meh. Also they need to stop taking cues from the show. And stick to his roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom