• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

DC has released some preview pages for Wonder Woman: Rebirth. They're everything I hoped for:

ChfFMvTUoAAIgA4.jpg

ChfFMYpU4AAau6k.jpg

ChfFMG4UgAAI27u.jpg
OK sold.

Fucking sold.

That Superman design looks terrible. They should make his boots red, his belt yellow, and remove his weird metal cuffs.

I want to say this is just an older concept design, but I agree: yellow belt and red boots really do make it look much better.

New Superman (Chinese) debuted in Batman/Superman #32 today. Pic of the page below.

http://i.imgur.com/VgsuVrn.jpg

Not totally sure that's him, considering that there's at least one not-Superman running around right now. Plus, the flipped colors.

OK sold.

Fucking sold.

Were the words "Greg Rucka writing Wonder Woman" not already enough?

I want to say this is just an older concept design, but I agree: yellow belt and red boots really do make it look much better.

Not totally sure that's him, considering that there's at least one not-Superman running around right now. Plus, the flipped colors.

Were the words "Greg Rucka writing Wonder Woman" not already enough?

Has to be him. Same hexagonal design on the S. They are in China.

KonradLaw

I have zero faith green arrow will ever reach lemiere status. The new costume is meh. Also they need to stop taking cues from the show. And stick to his roots
Percy hasn't been taking cues from the show and he is getting back to bacics. I also don't think Green Arrow will reach Lemire's levels anytime soon, but I'm pretty hopeful. Percy does seem to be improving and twice a month issues should help with him with story. Plus they're giving really good artists to the comic now. So while I'm not expecting a classic run I'm hoping for solid dose of fun every two weeks.

SJRB

Gold Member
...but I fucking love New52 Superman's design..

This whole Rebirth is extremely confusing to a comic book noob like me. I only read New52 Justice League, and I've read the first arcs of Snyder/Capullo's Batman.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 12 years old what is going on? It's not a reboot, yet it seems everything is changing rather drastically. What happens to Justice League, for example? Geoff Johns is gone?

NeonZ

This whole Rebirth is extremely confusing to a comic book noob like me. I only read New52 Justice League, and I've read the first arcs of Snyder/Capullo's Batman.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 12 years old what is going on? It's not a reboot, yet it seems everything is changing rather drastically. What happens to Justice League, for example? Geoff Johns is gone?

Geoff is gone from the only JL book with detailed information right now. However, there's one book with no information available - writer or roster, so he still could be there. DC is trying to avoid spoilers regarding the "Rebirth" One Shot, so no one knows much about the in-universe events leading to the "Rebirth". Still, the continuity changes probably won't be too big, since there are many references to previous New 52 stories, it's mostly a big line-wide relaunch like Marvel's recent one.

Shaanyboi

Banned

When New 52 started, there were a lot of rebooted/retooled stories and characters, but it was pretty wildly inconsistent. Rebirth seems to be a way to reincorporate some of the pre-reboot ideas or approaches with some of the stuff from New 52. No idea how they justify this or to what the extent of the changes will be, but most likely if you're reading now, you'll be able to continue just fine.

Green Arrow needs to be switched up more in Rebirth. The DC YOU run has been so fucking awful but for some reason it's sticking with the writer? Ben Percy on this and Teen Titans makes me so damn bummed.

KonradLaw

Green Arrow needs to be switched up more in Rebirth. The DC YOU run has been so fucking awful but for some reason it's sticking with the writer? Ben Percy on this and Teen Titans makes me so damn bummed.

Percy is better than anyone else besides Lemire who worked on GA under 52. It would be awesome if they would get some superstar writer for it, but unfortunatelly I don't think DC cares enough about GA for that.

Percy is better than anyone else besides Lemire who worked on GA under 52. It would be awesome if they would get some superstar writer for it, but unfortunatelly I don't think DC cares enough about GA for that.

It was kind of a telling sign when at the Rebirth announcement it was just mentioned as an afterthought and the only difference that was noted was the goatee.

shingi70

Banned
It was kind of a telling sign when at the Rebirth announcement it was just mentioned as an afterthought and the only difference that was noted was the goatee.

DC does do the smart thing. The Flash and Green Atrrow blew up but they're actually books had been languishing for the longest. Hell Supergirl didn't even have a book during her TV series first season.

Savitar

Those model sheet looks are very good, I quite like them all, if I only had one nitpick is that Croc is kinda looking a bit Doomsday like in outline, if he was hidden as a black shadow you might think it was him.

KonradLaw

DC does do the smart thing. The Flash and Green Atrrow blew up but they're actually books had been languishing for the longest. Hell Supergirl didn't even have a book during her TV series first season.

True, but at the were least they're willing to give GA some truly great artists for Rebirth.

Rooster12

I have zero faith green arrow will ever reach lemiere status. The new costume is meh.

They probably have to go a more indie route like Hawkeye did. And come to think of it, Fraction's Hawkeye was more like Green Arrow than Hawkeye himself. While DC is trying to turn Green Arrow into some upper-echelon Batman-style superhero, it just doesn't work.

Speaking of Green Arrow, Rama has an interview up with Ben Percy - http://www.newsarama.com/29144-rebirth-green-arrow-writer-ollie-is-a-social-justice-warrior.html

There's some gorgeous Otto Schmidt pages in the interview as well, but for whatever reason it won't let me link them properly

Percy: Green Arrow is a social justice warrior.

This quote makes me think it isn't going to head in a much different of a direction. I'm all fine with some social commentary in my comics but the way it's been handled in GA has been so hokey and over the top that it just comes off as stupid.

"How are we going to write the best Green Arrow story ever? White guilt!!!"

tim1138

This quote makes me think it isn't going to head in a much different of a direction. I'm all fine with some social commentary in my comics but the way it's been handled in GA has been so hokey and over the top that it just comes off as stupid.

"How are we going to write the best Green Arrow story ever? White guilt!!!"

The social justice/voice of the people Green Arrow is probably the version most people are familiar with. Even in the JLU cartoon his role was to keep everyone else grounded and not them forget the regular people. As always, it all comes down to execution. If Percy can channel Denny O'Neill and Mike Grell (and not his shitty werewolf novel), then the foundation should be there for a good run.

KonradLaw

Dear God at those Green Arrow panels. Otto and Juan are going to make this one of prettiest series in DC.

I'm worried about Black Canary being this prominent. I hope it's just for the six issues, which would be fine. If it's beynd that I think it could be problematic. She's way to powerful and tends to overshadow Olie.

Also..lol...DC channel had a video interview with Benjamin Percy and damn...dude could voice Deathstroke without any problem :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o679iEj4TuQ

I gotchu fam

Art is gorgeous. Writing is questionable, but potentially good.

I found Ben to have some fun material writing the n52 GA that I did read. But ultimately, I was turned off with what seemed like something that wasn't his. Like he was struggling with other people's ideas. He probably did his research on the character and it came into conflict with what the n52 version was. I liked his Detective Comics story with JPL so I'm thinking he may shine with a chance to start over and give it his all creatively.

So Terry McGuiness is Batman again. YES! Have they released those comics yet or announced when?

Rebirth starts on the 25th. Beyond doesn't drop until October, though Terry could potentially take up the cowl again before that, or at least get reintroduced into the series.

tim1138

So Terry McGuiness is Batman again. YES! Have they released those comics yet or announced when?

The books are rolling out in waves starting in June and going through September or October. A much better model than the N52 launch where they dropped 52 new #1's in one month.

That GL Art is sogood. Wonder when we'll get some solicitations for JLA, super curious about that and JLA is a very big name/acronym to comic fans.

tim1138

Really? I was just thinking it was somediocre. Does a terrible job of telling a story on its own, and it's all very... house style.

Ed Benes and EvS, pretty much what you see is what you get. The colorist really whitewashed Baz in that scene where he's scrubbing his garage, what's the point of having a book led by two poc if you're just gonna make them white? :

jackdoe

Really? I was just thinking it was somediocre. Does a terrible job of telling a story on its own, and it's all very... house style.
Yeah, this page really stood out to me in terms of poor flow:

Hal Jordan is standing right next to them, and then immediately in the next panel is a couple of feet away while the two pose for the camera.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah, this page really stood out to me in terms of poor flow:

Hal Jordan is standing right next to them, and then immediately in the next panel is a couple of feet away while the two pose for the camera.
The panel border and it being its own tier says there's a small passage of time, while the top tier has no panel borders, meaning the action is happening quicker.
I don't see a problem with this page.

Ed Benes and EvS, pretty much what you see is what you get. The colorist really whitewashed Baz in that scene where he's scrubbing his garage, what's the point of having a book led by two poc if you're just gonna make them white? :

Also a big ???.

When you say house style... You mean Jim Lee, Ivan Reis etc?

Basically, yeah. In that general style, though without necessarily having the qualities that makes stuff like Lee's enjoyable.

Really like it. Classic, but looking modern at the same time. But most of all both Otto and Schmidt are drawing him to look very pretty

Other:

All good looks. I'm not totally sold on how John's cape connects to his jacket, but other than that I really like it, and the Supergirl costume is just aces.

Penguin

Ask here, though not sure if spam

But since mostly DC fans here, anyone interested in helping cover all the relaunches for my blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom