• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I've been re-watching the Justice League Unlimited animated show and I'm just constantly amazed at how well written it is. The amount of information and story telling they are able to convey in a short 22 minute episode is impressive. The show also has a tendency to feature some of the lesser known DC characters and gives each of them a moment to shine. With that said, I just finished an episode with Shining Kight and Vigilante; if I wanted to read some books that promenently feature these characters, where should I start?

Not sure if there is a better place to ask this question.

I can only think of a couple things for Vigilante: a six issue miniseries that was published in 2005-06. I don't think it was ever collected in trade and it doesn't appear to be on comixology either, so it will be tricky to track it down. He also had a central role in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers (which also features Shining Knight), that is available in a two volume collected set both in print and on comixology. There's also the old Seven Soldiers of Victory comics, they were collected in three volumes in the old DC Archives hardcovers, but they're out of print.

Likewise for Shining Knight, there's just not a whole lot that's readily available. You have the aforementioned Seven Soldiers runs (both the Morrison and classic volumes), and then the excellent and highly underrated Demon Knights series from the early days of the New 52. Demon Knights is collected in three volumes, although it looks like volume 1 is out of print. The whole series is also available in individual issues on comixology. Just a FYI, the modern version of Shining Knight is a bit different than what you're used to from the JLU cartoon.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I can only think of a couple things for Vigilante: a six issue miniseries that was published in 2005-06. I don't think it was ever collected in trade and it doesn't appear to be on comixology either, so it will be tricky to track it down. He also had a central role in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers (which also features Shining Knight), that is available in a two volume collected set both in print and on comixology. There's also the old Seven Soldiers of Victory comics, they were collected in three volumes in the old DC Archives hardcovers, but they're out of print.

Likewise for Shining Knight, there's just not a whole lot that's readily available. You have the aforementioned Seven Soldiers runs (both the Morrison and classic volumes), and then the excellent and highly underrated Demon Knights series from the early days of the New 52. Demon Knights is collected in three volumes, although it looks like volume 1 is out of print. The whole series is also available in individual issues on comixology. Just a FYI, the modern version of Shining Knight is a bit different than what you're used to from the JLU cartoon.
Much appreciated for the info!

It used to be heavily implied MM not only had civilian identities all over the planet that ostensibly were various different ethnicities to fit in, but he also had a bunch of alternate super hero identities he used to provide coverage globally.

Man, MM was such a great character they ruined so hard for no good reason.

59.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've been re-watching the Justice League Unlimited animated show and I'm just constantly amazed at how well written it is. The amount of information and story telling they are able to convey in a short 22 minute episode is impressive. The show also has a tendency to feature some of the lesser known DC characters and gives each of them a moment to shine. With that said, I just finished an episode with Shining Kight and Vigilante; if I wanted to read some books that promenently feature these characters, where should I start?

Not sure if there is a better place to ask this question.
Pleased it's good. Got that, the Batman AS and Superman AS to watch.
On the topic of MM, what exactly did they do to him? All I know is that he isn't a founding member of the JL anymore. I remember it was mentioned in JL vol 2 that they didn't want to accept Green arrow on the team because MM betrayed the team, then he helped defeat Despero without the league knowing, and he also helps rescue them in Forever Evil. Was it ever explained how did he betray the JL?

His latest ongoing is good. Has his split identities feature prominently, has to stop Mars colliding with Earth.

Jetman

The Tomasi/Gleason Superman book is about the only one of these Rebirth titles I want to read.

Never liked Finch's artwork so not excited about that Bat-book, and don't know enough about the writer, King, to make me interested in the story for the book :(

Lashley

The Tomasi/Gleason Superman book is about the only one of these Rebirth titles I want to read.

Never liked Finch's artwork so not excited about that Bat-book, and don't know enough about the writer, King, to make me interested in the story for the book :(

King is an amazing writer.

Be excited.

Messi

King is fantastic

Messi

I was wondering how many comic stores there could possibly be in Dublin or Ireland for that matter :p.

Brett Booth says there are
6 (adult) titans total, 5 were shown on the cover.

There are 4 in Dublin dedicated to selling comics and outside of dublin 2-3 more. Comics aren't big in ireland. Getting bigger due to the movies but its slow going. Not many stores.

There are 4 in Dublin dedicated to selling comics and outside of dublin 2-3 more. Comics aren't big in ireland. Getting bigger due to the movies but its slow going. Not many stores.

Definitely not many that are exclusively comics anyway. There's a few hybrid comics/gaming stores out there. I actually can't think of any comics-only stories outside Dublin. There's a Sub City in Galway I think but nothing else springs to mind.

My nearest one is two hours away. Feels bad man. Thank the maker for digital.

If you haven't read his Grayson you have failed at comics.

Wag

MM was one of my favorite characters, and one of the main reasons why I never picked up a single New 52 book.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

As others have mentioned, you should get to know King. He's only been around for a little, but it's very exciting seeing the next great comic writer get his big shot.

Though I don't particularly like Finch either. It'll still be worth it.

Messi

As others have mentioned, you should get to know King. He's only been around for a little, but it's very exciting seeing the next great comic writer get his big shot.

Though I don't particularly like Finch either. It'll still be worth it.

King is also bringing dat Mike Janin heat for the 2nd issue every month.

KonradLaw

Yeah. King is the next big thing in superhero comics. It's fun to actually see next giant be born before my eyes, instead of just discovering him after he already became big.
DC securing him exclusively was incredibly wise. Especially since he's also doing one of the very best current Marvel books (Vision).

Ross61

Wildstorm is just another casualty of comics lines DC bought and don't really know what to do with.
See also: Fawcett, Charlton, Milestone, Quality

Also, a lot of titles that are on those imprints just don't sell. Their name doesn't ring like it did back in the day. DC shouldn't keep titles on the shelves that can't sell adequately.

LordRaptor

Also, a lot of titles that are on those imprints just don't sell. Their name doesn't ring like it did back in the day. DC shouldn't keep titles on the shelves that can't sell adequately.

From a business point of view, sure, but just how broken the current comics industry is a whooooole different topic.
From a creative point of view, having control of multiple entire seperate universes worth of characters but not using any of them in favour of putting out 10 batman books a month... you're not exactly growing a fanbase.

Ross61

From a business point of view, sure, but just how broken the current comics industry is a whooooole different topic.
From a creative point of view, having control of multiple entire seperate universes worth of characters but not using any of them in favour of putting out 10 batman books a month... you're not exactly growing a fanbase.

What's really the point, when the best of these imprints have already been implemented into the main DC universe.

Lashley

Newcastle-upon-Tyne? There's Travelling Man a few doors down from FP, and there was another across the road (which I've never actually been into).

Aye, isn't the Travelling Man just trades and not new weekly releases? Never been in the other one.

I just get them digital anyways

GeeTeeCee

Aye, isn't the Travelling Man just trades and not new weekly releases? Never been in the other one.

I just get them digital anyways

They get the new releases too (on the left wall next to the counter); I tend to buy from them rather than FP because they usually include a polybag.

First look at one of Frank Cho's WW variants:

ZdhpRAL.jpg

Wonder Woman #1 variant cover, partial peek.

Yup, as you guys may have heard I’m the new cover artist on the Wonder Woman series. I’ll be doing the variant covers on the new Wonder Woman Rebirth series written by Greg Rucka and illustrated by Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott.

I can’t show you much more but Nei Ruffino, my colorist, is simply killing it with her fantastic colors. DC Comics should reveal the full colored cover images soon.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Pretty sure it was the result of the Wildstorm stuff not doing well at DC so they scrapped plans.

I think they tried to do to much too soon with that, but Helspont and the Daemenites could of been a really good story (and still could) if they took some time to plot it out correctly over a few non wildstorm related books before spreading the threat to the larger DC universe. The same goes for all the wildstorm characters. It would of been better to add them as guest and supporting characters in other books before forcing them on everybody all at once.

People liked Jean-Paul Valley? I mean I don't hate him I guess... but he always just felt like a walking plot device to move Knightfall along.

Savitar

People liked Jean-Paul Valley? I mean I don't hate him I guess... but he always just felt like a walking plot device to move Knightfall along.

He had some good aspects to him, there is more than Knightfall to the character but it's pretty much what people associate him with along with the 90's almost in a way to discard the character without really knowing much about him. Bane is much in the same way but at least he got a movie that made people appreciate him more.

Ew, Frank Cho. :/

Hope it's just variants.

He can do great art when he wants.

And when he wants to make money because people buy this stuff up in droves even as it causes some to blow a gasket, which likely spurs others to buy more!

He had some good aspects to him, there is more than Knightfall to the character but it's pretty much what people associate him with along with the 90's almost in a way to discard the character without really knowing much about him. Bane is much in the same way but at least he got a movie that made people appreciate him more.

I read a lot of 90s era Batman, it's great stuff so I don't see why it would be a pejorative. I guess it is for people who don't know that Denny O'Niell and Chuck Dixon were doing work at that time.Anyhow, Jean Paul just never really stood out to me. He just seemed an odd fit for the bat family at the time, especially since it wasn't really expansive then. By the time he becomes the first robo-bats he just felt introduced JUST for that purpose.

Don't talk to me about movie Bane. No one bitched when they whitewashed the hell out of him. Great character from !Cuba? One who runs his own plans, like a champ with a sense of honor? Just make him a white dude in thrall to the league of assassins who was a pawn the whole time. Gotta love it. Better than what they did in Batman and Robin, and he was cool, but it does bother me a little.

MartyStu

I think they tried to do to much too soon with that, but Helspont and the Daemenites could of been a really good story (and still could) if they took some time to plot it out correctly over a few non wildstorm related books before spreading the threat to the larger DC universe. The same goes for all the wildstorm characters. It would of been better to add them as guest and supporting characters in other books before forcing them on everybody all at once.

Agreed.

I would really like Angry Gay Batman to be given another chance in a secondary capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom