• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingi70

Banned
Speaking of Vixen i'm surprised she isn't in Birds of Prey as Black Canary and Batgirl have been building her up as one of their allies.

These lead into each other and are both mostly worth the investment.

True. Son of Batman went off a bit of a cliff with the creative change, but up until that it was firing on all cylinders.

Speaking of Vixen i'm surprised she isn't in Birds of Prey as Black Canary and Batgirl have been building her up as one of their allies.

Yeah. Maybe later. I'm pretty happy with the existing lineup, but it could use Harper and Vixen.

aly

Fuck both of you, Bluebird 4 eva

I blame Batman and Robin Eternal for creating a mass of Harper hate by making her such a terrible character. Maybe Tec comics can fix it though.

I want to be excited about Birds of Prey, but I'm too scared of how they'll handle Helena/

MartyStu

Fuck both of you, Bluebird 4 eva

Bluebird is a pointless character.

There were already plenty of Bats or potential Bats to go ahead and introduce new ones.

Hell, Carrie Kelly is STILL sitting around waiting to be picked up.

And I like Harper. I just think she could not have been introduced at a worst time. Same applies to Duke. Not sure what the fuck the writers intend to do with him either.

There were already plenty of Bats or potential Bats to go ahead and introduce new ones.

And I like Harper. I just think she could not have been introduced at a worst time. Same applies to Duke. Not sure what the fuck the writers intend to do with him either.

Why would you use Kelly? She's a DKR thing.

Duke works great with the We Are Robin crew, but I was kinda surprised to see him crop up in the mainline title. He and Harper are both kinda conspicuously absent from the Rebirth titles, hopefully there's some plans for the two of them.

aly

Isn't Duke going to be the new ward and Robin-like character? Which is dumb since actual Robin is right there and Damian really needs more time with his dad. Such a strange decision.

NeonZ

Isn't Duke going to be the new ward and Robin-like character? Which is dumb since actual Robin is right there and Damian really needs more time with his dad. Such a strange decision.

(Scott) Snyder doesn't like writing Damian and apparently he's coordinating everything with King, the new Batman writer. King promised that he'd show Damian's reaction to it all, but we still have to see how big his involvement in the new Batman title actually will be.

aly

(Scott) Snyder doesn't like writing Damian and apparently he's coordinating everything with King, the new Batman writer. King promised that he'd show Damian's reaction to it all, but we still have to see how big his involvement in the new Batman title actually will be.

Damian being in Teen Titans and Super Sons makes me think not much. I kinda hate some of the things Synder did with 1) the Joker and 2) The Batfamily dynamics.

shingi70

Banned

Bluebird is the best of the current crop of batkids. Duke is going to be in All Star Batman written by Snyder.

Overall Harper and Duke were weird half steps where they were made by the guys in charge of the Batman line but weren't pushed to the effect that Cass and Steph during No Mans Land and War Games.

But let's be honest DC could always do the right thing and kill off that waste of space Tim Drake.

tim1138

What pre-New 52 continuity is reflected on those pages?

The page showing Thawne and Barry meeting and then Barry breaking Thawne's neck is actually preCrisis, in the big splash page you have the Black Flash next to what looks like Zolomon Zoom.

A lot was a bit of an overstatement, but it's there.

Since several people are interested in the new Deathstroke series, here is the solit:

DEATHSTROKE #1
Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
Variant cover by SHANE DAVIS
“The Professional” part one! Deathstroke’s latest contract takes him to a war-torn African country, where he finds himself caught in the middle of a disintegrating alliance between a ruthless dictator and a deadly super-villain. With an entire nation at stake, Slade Wilson must choose between fulfilling his contract and saving an old friend.
On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

DSK_Cv1.jpg

My most hyped rebirth book

Look at it this way, there's absolutely no way it can be any worse than it is now

I'm not tracking how "it can't be worse" translates into most hyped. The current run is terrible. What reason do you have to think the new one won't be terrible? At least the art will be good for the first issue or two before I likely end up dropping it.

With Rucka Woman and a few great looking Bat books, the Flash is barely a blip on my radar.

Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST

“The Professional” part one! Deathstroke’s latest contract takes him to a war-torn African country, where he finds himself caught in the middle of a disintegrating alliance between a ruthless dictator and a deadly super-villain.

Set in Waka-Wakanda! Dude is going to give Deathstroke that Black Panther treatment.

I'm not tracking how "it can't be worse" translates into most hyped. The current run is terrible. What reason do you have to think the new one won't be terrible? At least the art will be good for the first issue or two before I likely end up dropping it.

With Rucka Woman and a few great looking Bat books, the Flash is barely a blip on my radar.

Set in Waka-Wakanda! Dude is going to give Deathstroke that Black Panther treatment.

I don't know much about the writer, but people seem to really like Nailbiter and Birthright don't they? Seems promising. Plus the concept of the first arc actually sounds interesting and at least like they're not trying to force the comic to be a lot more like the show to stay in line in some way.

shingi70

Banned

Optimism and the fact that Willamson is pretty solid writer.

SUPERWOMAN #1
Written by PHIL JIMENEZ
Art by PHIL JIMENEZ and MATT SANTORELLI
Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
Variant cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
“Who Is Superwoman?” part one! Lois Lane takes flight! Now powered up with the abilities of Superman, Lois pledges to carry on the super-legacy as Superwoman! There’s only one problem: Lois’ new powers are killing her, and neither she nor her friend and confidant Lana Lang know what to do about it. Will Lois even survive long enough to learn the deadly secret of Ultra Woman?
On sale AUGUST 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
SWM_Cv1.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I'm not hyped for it the most because it can't be any worse, I'm hyped for it because it legitimately looks good with a decently looking villain.

The premise of it sounds interesting with an event causing more speedsters, I'm just excited for an actual story, when there hasn't been one in the new 52 Flash era, it's just went from one issue to another.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
“Who Is Superwoman?” part one! Lois Lane takes flight! Now powered up with the abilities of Superman, Lois pledges to carry on the super-legacy as Superwoman! There’s only one problem: Lois’ new powers are killing her, and neither she nor her friend and confidant Lana Lang know what to do about it. Will Lois even survive long enough to learn the deadly secret of Ultra Woman?

So they have decided to make Lois Lane the DC equivalent to Jane Foster-Thor?

I wonder if they're just going to have all this leading up to New 52 Supes and Lois biting it so that Pre New-52 Supes and Lois can fully-replace them.

MartyStu

Holy shit, I'd forgotten all about that, lol.

Still doesn't make her a better pick than Bluebird, tho.

You misunderstand. I am saying Harper and Duke should really never have been created. There were already plenty of unused characters that could have been re/purposed for new stories.

Of course now that effort has already gone into establishing them, they may as well be used.

Duke was terrible, I didn't mind Harper though.

Cassandra is the best tho

Flip those two and I agree. I was fine with Harper until Batman and Robin Eternal. Harper was insufferable and was just pointless in a story that was basically all about her.

Cassandra is best though.

Deathstroke solicits sound neato.

Only 12 more days to go. Don't know what to expect, I don't think Rebirth will be a compelling story by itself, but will be mostly setup for the next year's stories, like countdown to IC was.

VeeP

Bluebird is the best of the current crop of batkids. Duke is going to be in All Star Batman written by Snyder.

Overall Harper and Duke were weird half steps where they were made by the guys in charge of the Batman line but weren't pushed to the effect that Cass and Steph during No Mans Land and War Games.

But let's be honest DC could always do the right thing and kill off that waste of space Tim Drake.

Man, why Tim Drake gets all this hate, I don't know.

Dude had the longest solo Robin run in comics. His Pre52 Red Robin run was great, letting him become his own super hero, with his own flaws/villains/allies/etc.

Killing off a Robin just to make space for a new Robin just seems like a waste. We have these heroes, let's take them in new directions. I'm tired of seeing the next Batman protege. We saw it with Tim. We saw it with Steph. We saw it with Cass. We saw it with Damian.

Now let's kill/remove these guys so we can create new side kicks, to create more drama between Batman and said sidekick, with Alfred as the middle man. Sounds great.

Baseless speculation time. With the news that Darth Vader is being cancelled, Rich Johnson is also claiming that this is going to be Kieron Gillen's last book at Marvel for the foreseeable future. Rich also says that Gillen have "other plans" beyond his announced creator-owned work.

This could be other indie stuff, but maybe he's hinting at Gillen writing the Justice League of America book that;s coming out in September? Would explain why Vader is wrapping up the month before.

Squire

Banned
Baseless speculation time. With the news that Darth Vader is being cancelled, Rich Johnson is also claiming that this is going to be Kieron Gillen's last book at Marvel for the foreseeable future. Rich also says that Gillen have "other plans" beyond his announced creator-owned work.

This could be other indie stuff, but maybe he's hinting at Gillen writing the Justice League of America book that;s coming out in September? Would explain why Vader is wrapping up the month before.

Gilles on JLA would be fascinating and probably even turn out pretty well, but I imagine folks would be angry.

Like, I'm just assuming the ire Marvel fans have for him transfers to DC fans.

Gilles on JLA would be fascinating and probably even turn out pretty well, but I imagine folks would be angry.

Like, I'm just assuming the ire Marvel fans have for him transfers to DC fans.

Writer to different company transitions are weird. Sometimes writers work out better at other companies. I wish Soule & Waid were still writing DC stuff.

The page showing Thawne and Barry meeting and then Barry breaking Thawne's neck is actually preCrisis, in the big splash page you have the Black Flash next to what looks like Zolomon Zoom.

A lot was a bit of an overstatement, but it's there.

I'd love to have Zolomon back. He'd have to be tied to Wally though as to not make Thawne feel redundant, or given a new identity.

That pairing jumped out at me on that page, both of those characters originated with Wally era Flash.

Yeah I think Pre flashpoint Wally is a lock.

I'm just going to throw out my expectations for Rebirth:

-Infinite Crisis level retcon, someone is fucking with the multiverse. New 52 continuity will stay intact while characters "remember" significant events from older continuities.
-JSA returns, the big focus has been on legacy and Johns himself said he missed the JSA the most. Also Jay Garrick silhouette on initial rebirth teaser.
-Pre FP Wally returns, most requested character,
spoiler alerts on Flash Rebirth and Adult Titans rebirth solicitations, is possibly godspeed?
-Something possibly happens to Shazam, he's not mentioned in any solicitations, but we still haven't seen JLA's solicitation. Is featured on the cover and is one of John's favorites.
-New 52 Superman transfers powers to Lois, maybe this will happen in Super League.
-Glimpses of LOSH & Doom Patrol.

-Infinite Crisis level retcon, someone is fucking with the multiverse. New 52 continuity will stay intact while characters "remember" significant events from older continuities.
-JSA returns, the big focus has been on legacy and Johns himself said he missed the JSA the most. Also Jay Garrick silhouette on initial rebirth teaser.
spoiler alerts on Flash Rebirth and Adult Titans rebirth solicitations, is possibly godspeed?
-Something possibly happens to Shazam, he's not mentioned in any solicitations, but we still haven't seen JLA's solicitation. Is featured on the cover and is one of John's favorites.
-New 52 Superman transfers powers to Lois, maybe this will happen in Super League.

Spoiler'd thing would be LOL. So much salt.

But the rest looks plausible ish, other than Doom Patrol, which is coming under a different imprint and is pretty unlikely to be a part of Rebirth.

tim1138

So we would have a DCU with two Wally's then? N52 Wally had been all over the Rebirth stuff, that splash image, Flash Rebirth cover, Teen Titans Rebirth cover.

My Rebirth prediction is that the as of yet unannounced JLA book is actually going to be JSA by Johns/Fabok, they just didn't want to announce it before the Rebirth special dropped this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom