• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. It's aight. I agree with ElNarez in the comics-GAF thread that it'd be better if it was at an angle, but as is, it's okay. I think my favorite is the late 70s one, the '05 just feels really... '05.

It's also just a logo, lol. What's this about burning bridges?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Better than their last logo, still bad.

DC just reeks of insecurity and lack of vision. Try random shit see if it works then restart everything because people buy #1 issues.

Sad.

DC just reeks of insecurity and lack of vision. Try random shit see if it works then restart everything because people buy #1 issues.

Sad.

It's so damn frustratingly sad. They just seem like a studio driven by reaction rather than vision. All of their bigger decisions just seem like reactions more than anything else. Certainly not any kind of actual plan.

Bane

Can't say I dig the new logo. I never liked the 70's logo this one seems based on and the changes they made are weird. The New 52 one was a big step back from the oughts version but I imagine maybe the mess with DC shoes played a part in ditching that one.

Overall not a huge deal, and I'm curious to see what they do with it outside of print.

Sad.

The "sad" at the end makes me wonder if this is a parody post instead of a shitpost.

It's pretty clear what their "vision" is at this point; bring back the legacy elements to the DCU, expand their audience. That's what the DCYou was about, that's what Rebirth is about. Repeated and unnecessary #1s is a Marvel play.

This is also a kind of ridiculous thing to take out of a logo change.

Busty

Banned
That new logo isn't blowing my skirt up but it's still better than what they have at the moment. DC just need to settle on something and lean into it. Marvel's logo is classic and simple. That's what DC need.

Really they should go back to the bullet and stars.

Something closer to this would be my choice too.

The "sad" at the end makes me wonder if this is a parody post instead of a shitpost.

It's pretty clear what their "vision" is at this point; bring back the legacy elements to the DCU, expand their audience. That's what the DCYou was about, that's what Rebirth is about. Repeated and unnecessary #1s is a Marvel play.

This is also a kind of ridiculous thing to take out of a logo change.

It's just all the decisions added up. The DCYou seemed like a weird reaction to comedy books and zaney books getting more popular so they picked up a few comedy mini-series and switched up some creative teams to grab that same appeal. Then a bunch of those books didn't really go anywhere, some books got cancelled and now they said screw it and they're bringing back some of the stuff people got pissed at them for dropping in the first place with New 52. It seems like a late attempt to win back the fans they lost with the new 52 reboot since DCYou didn't seem to gain them any favors.

It feels like weird reactionary and visionless because you can tell by reading most the books in the transition that it wasn't really planned at all. So many of the 50-52 issues have been pointless boring filler or wrapping up loose ends real fast to just flip over to Rebirth.

The logo just seems like another attempt at change for the sake of change. It just doesn't seem like there's any real vision at all, just attempts at changing things and seeing what happens while hoping it works.

Part of the whole "New 52" shtick was the fact that they were trumpeting the fact that they had "52" comics, and in the end they had to cheat (counting the weekly releases as "4") to say they had "52" comics. By switching to "DCYou" they didn't have to release "52" comics.

TheFlow

Banned
Poodle, even as the resident DC apologist, come on! This is exactly what is happening with all the Rebirth books.

That logo is trash. Not that it has anything to do with the actual books. I'm hoping those are good.

this is happening after almost 4 years though. Marvel does a #1 every year just about. we atleast had two.

Dc doesn't renumber their books but just launch new ones to go along with the main books.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
this is happening after almost 4 years though. Marvel does a #1 every year just about. we atleast had two.

Dc doesn't renumber their books but just launch new ones to go along with the main books.
Batman is no new Book, could have stayed with the >50 number.

tim1138

So could have Guardians of the Galaxy, Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Captain Marvel, New Avengers, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, etc, etc. They aren't new books, just new stories after Secret Wars ended.

As far as we know that's really all of them for the most part.

I don't think the renumbering has anything to do with it. It just seems like DCYou was a weird attempt and then suddenly shifted away from it with no real plan but they're now piecing it together.

The continuity alone I think shows they had no real plan. DCYou was supposed to be all about Story over Continuity and it wasn't really supposed to matter. People were pissed at them for losing all of the continuity with New 52 reboot and now they choose to do this and now they're bringing some of that continuity back and now trying to piece together DCYou and make the continuity make sense. Superman's continuity is all over the place with Truth, Darkseid War, Rao(when the fuck was the last Rao issue actually?) and now his last days and they're just saying oh all that happened in the last couple weeks.

It just doesn't seem like there is any kind of plan or vision at all to me. I love DC and I love the books but they seem directionless.

TheFlow

Banned
So could have Guardians of the Galaxy, Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Captain Marvel, New Avengers, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, etc, etc. They aren't new books, just new stories after Secret Wars ended.

Mighty Thor is the number one offender. it is just continuing where #8 left off with the same story arcs.

Thats why Batman and co all get #1 after Rebirth despite beeing just continue from All New 52?

Poodle, even as the resident DC apologist, come on! This is exactly what is happening with all the Rebirth books.

That logo is trash. Not that it has anything to do with the actual books. I'm hoping those are good.

Y'all will notice the presence of the word "repeated" in that sentence. There are Marvel books that got 2 #1s in a year. DC renumbering their titles after 4 years does not even sort of measure up.

It's just all the decisions added up. The DCYou seemed like a weird reaction to comedy books and zaney books getting more popular so they picked up a few comedy mini-series and switched up some creative teams to grab that same appeal. Then a bunch of those books didn't really go anywhere, some books got cancelled and now they said screw it and they're bringing back some of the stuff people got pissed at them for dropping in the first place with New 52. It seems like a late attempt to win back the fans they lost with the new 52 reboot since DCYou didn't seem to gain them any favors.

It feels like weird reactionary and visionless because you can tell by reading most the books in the transition that it wasn't really planned at all. So many of the 50-52 issues have been pointless boring filler or wrapping up loose ends real fast to just flip over to Rebirth.

The logo just seems like another attempt at change for the sake of change. It just doesn't seem like there's any real vision at all, just attempts at changing things and seeing what happens while hoping it works.

The Omega Men: A Zany Comedy Book.

The DCYou was an effort to diversify their lineup, in terms of age, ethnicity, sex, setting, and yes, tone. Some of them stuck (Gotham Acadmey). Some of them didn't (Doomed).

TheFlow

Banned
lol
SQGIRL2015B001_Cover.jpg

tim1138

Also guys, it's just a logo. It's not a mission statement, editorial guideline, plot device, or outline for the direction of the line. Just a new way to combine the letters D and C.

Y'all will notice the presence of the word "repeated" in that sentence. There are Marvel books that got 2 #1s in a year. DC renumbering their titles after 4 years does not even sort of measure up.

The Omega Men: A Zany Comedy Book.

The DCYou was an effort to diversify their lineup, in terms of age, ethnicity, sex, setting, and yes, tone. Some of them stuck (Gotham Acadmey). Some of them didn't (Doomed).

Come on, you can't pick one book and act like that's a huge difference. It's up to pure luck that it's even still around. Batmite, Bizzaro, Starfire, Justice League 3001, Son of Batman, and even more if you really look at the overall approach to them. Yeah they broadened some stories and changed up some of their main books for no reason, but they seemed to attempt a lot in one direction and see if it worked.

The retro look is OK. Certainly better than the unwrapped thing they've been using for the last couple years.

The DC bullet will always be the real logo for me.

Lokimaru

...but I fucking love New52 Superman's design..

This whole Rebirth is extremely confusing to a comic book noob like me. I only read New52 Justice League, and I've read the first arcs of Snyder/Capullo's Batman.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 12 years old what is going on? It's not a reboot, yet it seems everything is changing rather drastically. What happens to Justice League, for example? Geoff Johns is gone?

They're putting one behind NuSuperman's ear and replacing him with an older model.

Come on, you can't pick one book and act like that's a huge difference. It's up to pure luck that it's even still around. Batmite, Bizzaro, Starfire, Justice League 3001, Son of Batman, and even more if you really look at the overall approach to them. Yeah they broadened some stories and changed up some of their main books for no reason, but they seemed to attempt a lot in one direction and see if it worked.

First of all, JL3k1 was a continuation of JL3k, which started before the DCYou.

And if I can't pick one book, can I pick more? Because Son of Robin wasn't a zany book. Neither were JLA, Midnighter, Cyborg, Doomed, We Are Robin, or Black Canary. Or Lois & Clark. Or Telos, which was awful, but not zany.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, and we discuss this all the time like its the end of the world. And I dont even care that much, I just think its funny how the one thing is stupid und unnecesary and while the other thing doesnt matter.

tim1138

Yeah, and we discuss this all the time like its the end of the world. And I dont even care that much, I just think its funny how the one thing is stupid und unnecesary and while the other thing doesnt matter.

Yep, the number on the front doesn't matter if the actual book is a dumpster fire

Marvel reboots back to #1 several times a year. This is the first time DC has done it since 2011?

I'm aware and fault Marvel for the #1 BOOK SALES HYPE stuff all the time. Just saying that this could easily be construed as an unnecessary reset to #1s.

DC sales are in the toilet month after month, so I'm all for anything that will help them out. I'll be in line to pick up the first volley of Rebirth books.

TheFlow

Banned

Marvel takes it overboard though Dc? not so much. Let them have their reboot.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm aware and fault Marvel for the #1 BOOK SALES HYPE stuff all the time. Just saying that this could easily be construed as an unnecessary reset to #1s.

DC sales are in the toilet month after month, so I'm all for anything that will help them out. I'll be in line to pick up the first volley of Rebirth books.
Unnecessary? nah son. Changing the writing/art team, rectonning some stuff, changing costume design a lil with completely new arcs is worth a #1.

Dc sales just like marvels are not very good outside their key sellers.This is not new.

First of all, JL3k1 was a continuation of JL3k, which started before the DCYou.

Also, Son of Robin wasn't a zany book. Neither were JLA, Midnighter, Cyborg, Doomed, We Are Robin, or Black Canary.

I don't know what point this is making? Yes they broadened their stories and almost none of them stuck around but they definitely went a lot more in one direction than the rest. Just sticking on the word zany doesn't defeat the point. They went for a more comedic approach on a lot of books. You could definitely say Midnighter and Doomed had a more comedic direction. Son of Batman even had a couple issues that were more comedic after the first little arc.

I'm not even saying that is the problem, which makes it weird that you're sticking on the word zany. My point is they saw something being more popular and instead of trying to keep with what they were doing or having a vision of their own they transitioned in a different direction out of nowhere and dropped planning for "Story of Continuity" and then when it didn't work they're backing off of that suddenly again with what seems like little direction.

Comedic and zany is just what I would say was the main thing I got from the start of DCYou, it's definitely not what stuck around or what it will probably be remembered as but at the beginning of it it was a whole lot more of that than anything else.

I don't know what point this is making? Yes they broadened their stories and almost none of them stuck around but they definitely went a lot more in one direction than the rest. Just sticking on the word zany doesn't defeat the point. They went for a more comedic approach on a lot of books. You could definitely say Midnighter and Doomed had a more comedic direction. Son of Batman even had a couple issues that were more comedic after the first little arc.

I'm not even saying that is the problem, which makes it weird that you're sticking on the word zany. My point is they saw something being more popular and instead of trying to keep with what they were doing or having a vision of their own they transitioned in a different direction out of nowhere and dropped planning for "Story of Continuity" and then when it didn't work they're backing off of that suddenly again with what seems like little direction.

Comedic and zany is just what I would say was the main thing I got from the start of DCYou, it's definitely not what stuck around or what it will probably be remembered as but at the beginning of it it was a whole lot more of that than anything else.

But my whole point is that DCYou was, largely, an effort to diversify their lineup. You countered by saying that that wasn't really true, they were just chasing the kind of zany and light books that were popular at that moment. I responded by pointing out all the books that weren't really comedic and zany. Now you turn around and try to say a) that they are and b) that that doesn't really matter and why am I getting hung up on the words you used when really it's your whole thesis?

I think it's pretty clear that there was a plan with the DCYou, it's just that as far as consumers were concerned, it wasn't something they were interested in. Or at least not something they were interested in buying. So they changed plans, and now we've got Rebirth.

a916

I thought their last logo, the peeling of the D to reveal the C (the one in the latest movies) was simple and perfect.

Not a fan of this because looking at it, you can't tell what DC means... the last one alluded to a comic book page turning. This is just generic and bland. I can't believe they hired a company to design this and that's what they got.

TheFlow

Banned
Latest market share says no. DC is getting destroyed every month. Rebirth is needed for more than just a return to the past.
Marvel 47.87%
DC 25.13%

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-04.html
Ty for this post, since it helps strengthen the argument that Marvel's constant relaunches and #1s gives it a lead over DC who stuck with the same launch in the past 4 year.s

plus Marvel has Star wars now. nothing beating that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom