• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

That DC logo looks like something I'd see on cheaply branded jeans, I would have with something rounder for the letters.

Four years ago:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
37.59%

DC
36.75%

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel
34.06%

DC
31.94%

Last month:

Share of Overall Units
Marvel
47.87%

DC
25.13%

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel
42.98%

DC
25.82%

I doubt the people at Warner are looking at a drop like this and saying "Great! Keep up the good work!"

The biggest factor here has nothing to do with DC, though. Marvel has Star Wars.

If all else fails, just keep rebooting

Reboot your cinematic universe

Reboot your comic line

Reboot your logo

Is there anything else we can find lying around the office to reboot?

What if we reboot these ferns in the lobby of the building

This isn't a reboot?

Rooster12

Reboot your comic line

Reboot your logo

You sound like a die-hard DC fan

TheFlow

Banned
Works both ways. DC's top sellers are #1 specials, event books, and Batman.

Of their eight top selling books in April:
1) The Dark Knight III
2) Batman
3) Harley Quinn #1 special
4) Justice League
5) TMNT and Batman crossover
6) Justice League #1 special
7) Harley Quinn
8) A SECOND HARLEY QUINN #1 special

So they are playing the exact same games as Marvel to drive sales, and still losing.

Works both ways. DC's top sellers are #1 specials, event books, and Batman.

Of their eight top selling books in April:
1) The Dark Knight III
2) Batman
3) Harley Quinn #1 special
4) Justice League
5) TMNT and Batman crossover
6) Justice League #1 special
7) Harley Quinn
8) A SECOND HARLEY QUINN #1 special

So they are playing the exact same games as Marvel to drive sales, and still losing.
ty for this post since it proves my intial post correct both Publishers have key sellers.

looks like you found them ;).

Like everyone has been telling you dummy, both publishers do it Dc just does it much less :3/

Sou Da

Also the logos on the comics should have been utilized the same way the are in the DCTV shows, I think Omega Men was the only one that ever bothered.

Even a simple color change to match the title logo would have made that redesign worth it.

6W8oLPC.jpg

TheFlow

Banned

Reboot your comic line

Reboot your logo

this is what happens when you fanboyism to far

jackdoe

DC should pay whatever money necessary to JK Rowling to license and create a Harry Potter universe comics line up. Of course they need to get the talent necessary to put out a good book, but it would be an excellent trans media cross promotional effort and would bring in a new reader base.

The biggest factor here has nothing to do with DC, though. Marvel has Star Wars.

Dark Horse had Star Wars for years and they didn't do nearly as well as Marvel's Star Wars books are doing. Marvel's Star Wars books are doing well because they are good comics that are marketed well AKA the recipe for high comic book sales since Action Comics #1. Episode 7 definitely helps but you still didn't see two Dark Horse Star Wars comics in the top 10 consistently for a year leading up to Episode 1.

Put it this way: Getting Star Wars was a big deal, but it was still something they could have fucked up. If DC got Star Wars leading up to the Force Awakens it would be selling 50k right now at best because they are incompetent. The same reason Superman sells 50k. They can't even get Superman over 40k consistently and he's their most important character.

NeonZ

None of those silhouettes has panned out. The female S doesn't fit Supergirl or Superwoman. The male S is supposed to be Jon Kent, but he's smaller and wears a hoodie, not a jacket. The GL is supposed to be Jessica Cruz, but she has a completely different symbol. Earth-2 isn't getting Rebirthed and Jay doesn't look like that.

The classic JSA is shown in a promo image for Rebirth itself though.

TheFlow

Banned
Dark Horse had Star Wars for years and they didn't do nearly as well as Marvel's Star Wars books are doing. Marvel's Star Wars books are doing well because they are good comics that are marketed well AKA the recipe for high comic book sales since Action Comics #1. Episode 7 definitely helps but you still didn't see two Dark Horse Star Wars comics in the top 10 consistently for a year leading up to Episode 1.

Put it this way: Getting Star Wars was a big deal, but it was still something they could have fucked up. If DC got Star Wars leading up to the Force Awakens it would be selling 50k right now at best because they are incompetent. The same reason Superman sells 50k. They can't even get Superman over 40k consistently and he's their most important character.

hmmm I am sure the star wars movie that recently released has nothing to do with correlation :p.

you are just speculating man take a seat.

Interesting examples of how the new DC logo will be used.

https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/732627421988425728

I like that it's less intrusive of the art.

fuck it looks way better on books

jackdoe

C'mon, Batman is their most important character.

As Tatsumaki says, Star Wars didn't sell nearly as well when Dark Horse had it, so clearly it's not just the license.

And while I'm sure Marvel's market share lead would be a good bit narrower without Star Wars, that doesn't explain all of it. Looking at the top 100 books for last month minus Star Wars, Marvel still has nearly twice as many books as DC (62 vs. 33), and twice as many in the top 20 (12 Marvel, 6 DC, 1 Image, 1 Boom).

TheFlow

Banned
As Tatsumaki says, Star Wars didn't sell nearly as well when Dark Horse had it, so clearly it's not just the license.

And while I'm sure Marvel's market share lead would be a good bit narrower without Star Wars, that doesn't explain all of it. Looking at the top 100 books for last month minus Star Wars, Marvel has nearly twice as many books as DC (62 vs. 33), and twice as many in the top 20 (12 Marvel, 6 DC, 1 Image, 1 Boom).
Star Wars comics were meh when dark horse had the property. Dark horse is a smaller company.

But ok carryon angry old man rant because this is def a sales thread o_O

hmmm I am sure the star wars movie that recently released has nothing to do with correlation :p.

you are just speculating man take a seat.

I literally said in my post that the movies helped. I brought up evidence that last time there was a big Star Wars movie the books didn't sell nearly as well because merely having the Star Wars license does not cause your books to sell as consistently well as Marvel's has. You are completely misrepresenting my argument.

C'mon, Batman is their most important character.

Batman's their most popular character. Superman is their most important character.

shingi70

Banned

Reboot your comic line

Reboot your logo

When did they Reboot their cinematic Universe, TDK was it's own thing and Green Lantern was as well.

Rebirth isn't a reboot (it's in the OT ffs) its using the universe esbalished with the New 52 with changes and streamlining here or there.

TheFlow

Banned
I literally said in my post that the movies helped. I brought up evidence that last time there was a big Star Wars movie the books didn't sell nearly as well because merely having the Star Wars license does not cause your books to sell as consistently well as Marvel's has. You are completely misrepresenting my argument.

Batman's their most popular character. Superman is their most important character.
They sold well because new #1 Star Wars books published by marvel in time for the movie release is a genius move :3.

You don't have an argument. What you have is a derailment of the thread :p

Edit: thread became a dc vs marvel over the logo and brought out shitposters.

Preferred the positive previous pages before this where everyone actually discussed rebirth instead of Star Wars

jackdoe

That doesn't make any sense. Their most popular character is their most important character and it's the character they put their marketing muscle behind.

And while I'm sure Marvel's market share lead would be a good bit narrower without Star Wars, that doesn't explain all of it. Looking at the top 100 books for last month minus Star Wars, Marvel still has nearly twice as many books as DC (62 vs. 33), and twice as many in the top 20 (12 Marvel, 6 DC, 1 Image, 1 Boom).
How many ongoings does DC even have? Currently less than 52 right?

Ross61

Can we get back to talking about the stuff we're most excited about Rebirth. Or at least the criticism of the creative teams. Something other than Marvel and Star Wars.

They sold well because new #1 Star Wars books published by marvel in time for the movie release is a genius move :3.

You don't have an argument. What you have is a derailment of the thread :p

Edit: thread became a dc vs marvel over the logo and brought out shitposters.

That's exactly what Dark Horse did though lol. They put out a new number one with the exact same title almost exactly the same amount of months ahead of Phantom Menace and it sold 50,000 copies.

TheFlow

Banned
That's exactly what Dark Horse did though lol. They put out a new number one with the exact same title almost exactly the same amount of months ahead of Phantom Menace and it sold 50,000 copies.
Phantom menace....

Lol you see why I am not taking you srs right

Let's move this thread back to rebirth. Some of you new posters can read the op and join back in

Bullet logo still best logo, but the new one is good too.

Comics don't bring in that much revenue, I doubt Warner or Disney cares that much about their comic division besides serving as an RND department for movies & games.

Never read a deathstroke book but I will show my support.

Is slash still a villain while his daughter is good?

-shrug- from the solicits that nature of what side of the line he is on is the point of the first arc. the arc itself seems vaguely reminiscent of his first BP storyline (african country torn apart from civil war etc) which i'm reading atm. Regardess I think it'll be fun. I like Deathstroke as a character but never really read an ongoing, I'm not sure what stories could be told for him as a solo character.

New movie, new world. Hell, new universe.

The central point here is that the Big Reason Marvel is dominating the marketshare isn't because DC sales have fallen off a cliff (they're down, but not by that much) is because the Star Wars comics are selling like gangbusters.

Like everyone has been telling you dummy, both publishers do it Dc just does it much less :3/

And yet it proves the exact opposite of what you've said. DC doesn't "do it much less." All their heavy sellers are specials, event books, and Batman. We've about to see it again at the end of this month, across the line.

TheFlow

Banned
And yet it proves the exact opposite of what you've said. DC doesn't "do it much less." All their heavy sellers are specials, event books, and Batman. We've about to see it again at the end of this month, across the line.
You proved another one of my points correct. And lol wow DC has more #1 this month than marvel oh no :0. Lol DC still does it less. Like I said they are both doing bad outside of key sellers.

Marvel literally reboots/renumbers series multiple times per year. Of course DC is going to do it less since their last renumbering was 5+ years ago.

If anything DC should do the exact same thing. Relaunch multiple times per year, run 20+ variants per issue and we can see where the numbers lay then.

Guys, DC sells less because they have a lot of mediocre books. Most of their writers aren't very good. The last two times they rebranded I bought a handful of books for characters I like and I dropped all of them but Batman each time.

This new rebranding is keeping like what, 75% of the same writers? Though this time I feel like I'll be keeping a few more books on my pull list.

TheFlow

Banned
Guys, DC sells less because they have a lot of mediocre books. Most of their writers aren't very good. The last two times they rebranded I bought a handful of books for characters I like and I dropped all of them but Batman each time.

This new rebranding is keeping like what, 75% of the same writers? Though this time I feel like I'll be keeping a few more books on my pull list.
book quality is a hard case to argue.

Just because you read a small number of books form DC doesn't correlate to DC producing mediocre books.

I mean how is that any different from Marvel. Their primary means of getting new talent has been to poach it from DC.

Thankfully DC is getting smart enough to lock up their best talent like King.

book quality is a hard case to argue.

Just because you read a small number of books form DC doesn't correlate to DC producing mediocre books.
I think them having a shrinking mindshare in the market proves it. People don't just pass by good books involving characters they like. And it's not like people don't like DC characters.
I mean how is that any different from Marvel. Their primary means of getting new talent has been to poach it from DC.

Thankfully DC is getting smart enough to lock up their best talent like King.
Exactly. Before they got poached DC had a lot more worthwhile books and were doing better. Marvel took a bunch of them, now they have a bigger portion of the market.

I think them having a shrinking mindshare in the market proves it. People don't just pass by good books involving characters they like. And it's not like people don't like DC characters.

So by this logic Image is even more mediocre since they have like a third of DC's marketshare.

TheFlow

Banned
Huh!? We just talked about this earlier how the good books aren't being bought.

Mid nighter, omega men, and ect. Funny thing is it is not just a DC thing but a marvel thing as well.

Vision is one of the best books right now but has the lowest sales :/

Also I think people are holding off on buying some DC books since the rebirth is coming.

Like hell they don't, lol. Midnighter and The Omega Men barely scraping by, despite being two of the best books on shelves, and the latter having Kyle Rayner as a protag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom