• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler'd thing would be LOL. So much salt.

But the rest looks plausible ish, other than Doom Patrol, which is coming under a different imprint and is pretty unlikely to be a part of Rebirth.

Yeah I suppose DP already had their introduction during Forever Evil.

So we would have a DCU with two Wally's then? N52 Wally had been all over the Rebirth stuff, that splash image, Flash Rebirth cover, Teen Titans Rebirth cover.

My Rebirth prediction is that the as of yet unannounced JLA book is actually going to be JSA by Johns/Fabok, they just didn't want to announce it before the Rebirth special dropped this month

I'd love it to be JSA, that could feature his old lineup and possibly slot Shazam there again. I hope that new role created underneath his CCO position allows him to write more.

I'm not even a huge Wally fan, just the solicitations I mentioned and this teaser makes me think it's him. New 52 Wally doesn't have hair like this and neither does Barry. It could be Bart though.

rebirth.png

tim1138

I'd love it to be JSA, that could feature his old lineup and possibly slot Shazam there again. I hope that new role created underneath his CCO position allows him to write more.

I'm not even a huge Wally fan, just the solicitations I mentioned and this teaser makes me think it's him. New 52 Wally doesn't have hair like this and neither does Barry. It could be Bart though.

rebirth.png

That first teaser is kind of weird. You have what looks like 90s Superboy, classic Jay Carrick, Green Arrow, an unidentified Flash, Jessica Cruz, and Superwoman. I'm guessing the Superboy is Jon Kent from Super Sons, but we've seen nothing about Garrick or the other Flash.

rebirth.png

None of those silhouettes has panned out. The female S doesn't fit Supergirl or Superwoman. The male S is supposed to be Jon Kent, but he's smaller and wears a hoodie, not a jacket. The GL is supposed to be Jessica Cruz, but she has a completely different symbol. Earth-2 isn't getting Rebirthed and Jay doesn't look like that.

shingi70

Banned
None of those silhouettes has panned out. The female S doesn't fit Supergirl or Superwoman. The male S is supposed to be Jon Kent, but he's smaller and wears a hoodie, not a jacket. The GL is supposed to be Jessica Cruz, but she has a completely different symbol. Earth-2 isn't getting Rebirthed and Jay doesn't look like that.

I thought a new earth-2 book was announced for the fall.

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but is there any good way to read past DC stuff a la Marvel Unlimited?

I did a search and didn't find anything, thinking about jumping in with the one-shot and just grabbing titles that interest me, but wondering if I'm going to be totally lost still.

Afrodium

Banned
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but is there any good way to read past DC stuff a la Marvel Unlimited?

I did a search and didn't find anything, thinking about jumping in with the one-shot and just grabbing titles that interest me, but wondering if I'm going to be totally lost still.

Not really. Check out what your local library has and grab stuff during CMX sales when you can. If you just start following new books with the Rebirth one-shot I bet you'll be fine.

Yeah no dc unlimited is a damn shame. Fortunately they're much better at reprinting and pricing trades than Marvel is (but DC's time to market with their trades is awfully slow), check out instocktrades.com if you live in the US.

I dunno know if DCBS is still running their rebirth one shot special, but you could get all the rebirth one shots for like $22.

edit: yeah their deal is still running https://www.dcbservice.com/product/apr160276a/april-2016-dc-universe-rebirth-bundle-special-discount

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah no dc unlimited is a damn shame. Fortunately they're much better at reprinting and pricing trades than Marvel is (but DC's time to market with their trades is awfully slow), check out instocktrades.com if you live in the US.

I dunno know if DCBS is still running their rebirth one shot special, but you could get all the rebirth one shots for like $22.

edit: yeah their deal is still running https://www.dcbservice.com/product/apr160276a/april-2016-dc-universe-rebirth-bundle-special-discount
This is the ideal plan. And pray CMX does a sale to celebrate rebirth

MartyStu

I will probably drop Batman from my pull list just to see how King does. Snyder set such an insane precedent.

I like Snyder's Run: Zero Year is fucking on point as an Origin.

That said, if anyone set a precedent, it would be Morrison's run right before him.

And King is no slouch either. I expect his run to be at least as good, if not better than those two.

Morrison->Snyder->King is just such a strong succession of writers. We could be looking at a hattrick of instant classics.

DC Unlimited would be really cool, but apparently (and this is anecdotal) DC does really well with their back catalogue compared to Marvel, which is why they aren't exactly chomping at the bit to drop the price.

"This item is no longer available."

Welp. Appreciate the info nonetheless!

shingi70

Banned
BLUEREB_Cv1.jpg

BLUE BEETLE: REBIRTH #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN
Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS
Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER

Lost in the desert with no memory of the past few years, teenager Jaime Reyes must find his way home again—but when he reaches his town, he’s shocked to find it abandoned and in the hands of government officials…officials who are very interested in the Blue Beetle and the scarab that gives him his power! How can Jaime find his family and uncover the secret behind the town’s seizure—and why Kord Industries is helping keep the world from learning the truth?

On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Sou Da

BLUEREB_Cv1.jpg

BLUE BEETLE: REBIRTH #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN
Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS
Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER

Lost in the desert with no memory of the past few years, teenager Jaime Reyes must find his way home again—but when he reaches his town, he’s shocked to find it abandoned and in the hands of government officials…officials who are very interested in the Blue Beetle and the scarab that gives him his power! How can Jaime find his family and uncover the secret behind the town’s seizure—and why Kord Industries is helping keep the world from learning the truth?

On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
"I dont want the baggage of the old run": The solocit.

tim1138

SGREB_Cv1.jpg

SUPERGIRL: REBIRTH #1
Written by STEVE ORLANDO
Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY
Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
Variant cover by ADAM HUGHES

Supergirl turns to the shadowy organization known as the D.E.O. (Department of Extranormal Operations) to restore her lost powers once and for all! But as a fateful experiment sends Kara Zor-El rocketing toward the sun, disaster strikes at home in the form of the lost Kryptonian werewolf Lar-On! All the epic action of the brand new Supergirl series starts here!

On sale AUGUST 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Vengal

Optimism and the fact that Willamson is pretty solid writer.

SUPERWOMAN #1
Written by PHIL JIMENEZ
Art by PHIL JIMENEZ and MATT SANTORELLI
Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
Variant cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
“Who Is Superwoman?” part one! Lois Lane takes flight! Now powered up with the abilities of Superman, Lois pledges to carry on the super-legacy as Superwoman! There’s only one problem: Lois’ new powers are killing her, and neither she nor her friend and confidant Lana Lang know what to do about it. Will Lois even survive long enough to learn the deadly secret of Ultra Woman[/IMG]

Wasn't the crime syndicate wonder woman called superwoman. Did they change her name to ultrawoman?

"I dont want the baggage of the old run": The solocit.

And thank fuck for that.

It's also literally the same starting point as the original run (Jaime ends up in the desert with a big chunk of missing memory).

Wasn't the crime syndicate wonder woman called superwoman. Did they change her name to ultrawoman?

She's still Superwoman atm. Might end up dead or something the way Darkseid War is going tho.

I thought a new earth-2 book was announced for the fall.

It was one the books as a Rebirth book, but DC moved it over to Gotham Academy status. Possibly a new #1, but no Rebirth.

http://insidepulse.com/2016/03/29/d...arth-2-gotham-academy-next-semester-revealed/
One comics site is reporting that DC Entertainment Co-Publisher DiDio revealed at Wondercon 2016 the fates of an Earth 2 series and a Gotham Academy: Next Semester series:

“I think we didn’t mention them because they’re not really Rebirth issues. They’re going to be continuing [sic], so they’re both ongoing series, but are not actually part of the Rebirth event. ”

tim1138

Also what looks like spoilers for the DC Universe Rebirth special:
As the Titans prepare to do the unthinkable in order to defeat the intergalactic demon that stole time itself from the DC Universe

TheFlow

Banned
omg it really is
bee
but her costume looks lame

Also I didn't know a lot of the new series were going to be bi weekly.

Vengal

Not at all, the name's been used multiple times -- even by Lois. The first time Superwoman was used was by Lois in 1943.

I understand that, but the public knows who superwoman is in this context. She was a part of a group of evil powered people who took over the world. It would be like if now that darkseid is dead Jimmy Olsen got super powers and called himself darkseid.

Sorta screams to me that this wasn't planned at all as of three years ago or they would have called Superwoman Ultrawoman from the get go to avoid confusion.

I understand that, but the public knows who superwoman is in this context. She was a part of a group of evil powered people who took over the world. It would be like if now that darkseid is dead Jimmy Olsen got super powers and called himself darkseid.

Sorta screams to me that this wasn't planned at all as of three years ago or they would have called Superwoman Ultrawoman from the get go to avoid confusion.

Who's "the public"? We're talking about funnybooks here. This thing's going to have an audience of like 20-30k, tops :p

And yeah, this wasn't planned 3 years back, but... I mean, duh? That it seems like it was planned and coordinated at all is a minor miracle, that the creative teams involved are on board a major one.

KonradLaw

Really nice cover for first issue of Hellblazer. Like the return to more messier look for John after the fashionista of Constantine: Hellblazer
Cim1_DoWwAE4CzX.jpg

THE HELLBLAZER #1
Written by SIMON OLIVER
Art and cover by MORITAT
Variant cover by JOHN CASSADAY
“The Poison Truth” part one! London may have recovered from Constantine’s return, but he hasn’t. Mercury hasn’t forgiven him, but she won’t leave him alone, and Swamp Thing is calling in a favor. And all the while, bigger things are brewing...
On sale AUGUST 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Guys...what is DC doing?

DC_Logo_Blue_Final_573b356bd056a9.41641801.jpg

“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media. DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,”

That C is a mistake!

Guys...what is DC doing?

“While comics continue to be the heart and soul of DC, the brand has evolved to now stand for powerful storytelling across so many different forms of media. DC is home to the greatest Super Heroes and Super-Villains, and the new logo has the character and strength to stand proudly alongside DC’s iconic symbols,”

That C is a mistake!

Its sooooo bad. The last one wasn't great but everyone was used to it. This is a step backwards.

anaron

I was cool with the flip when it was individualized like the closing credits of the Flarrowverse but this is definitely better.

Back to being distinctly blue to Marvel's red but nods to the classical logo.

SJRB

Gold Member
...but I really liked the previous logo.

For fuck's sake, DC. What is even the point of this? Are they burning bridges or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom